Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish for EQ3, instead of EQ Next, I don't like any of it ( Poll )

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    EQ3 or VG2 would be good too.
  • AztecAztec Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Let us just assume that they will make a really bad game. This way we will not be disappointed! =p Everyone has been making mediocre games at best as of late. To expect anything better than sub-par is just to optimistic IMHO. These are clearly not the good old days of EQ1 when games were fun and addictive.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have to agree with OP about one thing: SOEs "F2P have so far been far from optimal in games like EQ2 and I wish they just would have gone with subs and no shop or other crap.

As for the rest I really need to try the game to make any useful comments. Yes, it do sounds very different from earlier games but if it is fun to play that would be a strength instead of a weakness. If not it is a huge mistake but just guessing that based on features we havn't tried yet is not a great idea.

Let's give the beta a try once it is out and then have this discussion, then we will actually have informed opinions instead of just estimates and guesses.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

I agree with most everything you said, except not liking fully destructible environments. I think that would be awesome, depending how they go about doing it.

I don't follow games at all as I don't see the point in it. When a game is out and I can actually play it, then I'll show some interest. Hype usually lets people down. Very few games ever live up to the hype. I could care less about live action promo's for a game (stupid) and promos with 0 actual game play. Sorry, I'd like to see what I'm actually going to play/buy.

I would love to see an open world EQ2, or hell, ANY open world sandbox-like game that breaks away from the cake-walk EZ mode hand-holding theme park MMO games today. Sick and tired of SOLO MMO games. I thought the entire point was playing with other people, not soloing up to max level and only grouping for certain instances.

I liked ESO, but it was a joke. There is NO danger, anywhere. I never felt like my player was in any danger, so I never got past VR3... Also had a VR1 I leveled in a week after getting bored with the VR3 main. Sorry, but 50 levels in one week? That's an challenge-less game to me.

I don't get the rush to end-game crap. I will NEVER understand it. It's like saying that the only worth of the game is at max level and everything else it just tedious crap to get you there. So many people in ESO rushed to max level, got there, then got bored and quit. Yep, that seemed worth it. Not.

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Aztec

Let us just assume that they will make a really bad game. This way we will not be disappointed! =p Everyone has been making mediocre games at best as of late. To expect anything better than sub-par is just to optimistic IMHO. These are clearly not the good old days of EQ1 when games were fun and addictive.

I agree. I can't seem to latch on to any MMO these days. All EZ-mode, mostly solo (defeats the purpose of MMO's, groups, etc).. and no danger. EQ1 was challenging, so it was rewarding to level, which definitely made it addictive. You always had to watch your back and I liked that. A dungeon SHOULD be dangerous.

To trash ESO again, since it was SO EASY to level (and had almost no danger), getting gear (for example) was somewhat meaningless to me. In a few levels, I'd just have to junk it and get something else. Money was never that tough to get, so you could always go to a guild store and buy new disposable weapons and armor.

Meh
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

20 years ago MMORPG games had no competition, everything seemed new, fresh and exciting. You can never feel that way again about a game. New games are better, but will not give you the "1st time" feeling, same as your first time doing most stuff in life. 

So many people that post on this website complain about every single game that comes out. I think most of them are trying to have the "1st time" feeling again, sorry it won't happen.

You will never be a virgin after you are not, never feel the same love as the "1st love", never go back to high school and never play a game that felt as cool as the first one you played and loved.

Either adjust to the times and new games, or get a new hobby. I am excited to try EQ Next and like the features and look of it too.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by khameleon

20 years ago MMORPG games had no competition, everything seemed new, fresh and exciting. You can never feel that way again about a game. New games are better, but will not give you the "1st time" feeling, same as your first time doing most stuff in life. 

So many people that post on this website complain about every single game that comes out. I think most of them are trying to have the "1st time" feeling again, sorry it won't happen.

You will never be a virgin after you are not, never feel the same love as the "1st love", never go back to high school and never play a game that felt as cool as the first one you played and loved.

Either adjust to the times and new games, or get a new hobby. I am excited to try EQ Next and like the features and look of it too.

There is some truth in what you're saying for some people.  Some people will never be happy with a new MMO because it doesn't have that "first" feel to it.

However, that's why innovation is important.  MMOs have stagnated since 1999.  Almost all of them are simply a rehash of the same exact formula EQ had, but with slight twist on a mechanic, better graphics, etc.  I feel EQN is offering enough new ideas into one package that it may give a lot of people a fresh view on MMOs and what they can be.  Things like Horizontal progression that can change how we play through these games and how we interact with the community and our friends within the game is an example of how EQN can relight that dying fire.  The Emergent AI, Horizontal progression, multiclassing, destructible environment based on voxels, SOEmote, integrated VOIP, and a ton of other great and innovative features all smashed into one game could get people excited for MMOs again.

Sure, some people will never be happy, but I think EQN will do a lot of good.  Both for players who are burnt out on the last-gen MMO model and for the industry as a whole.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by delete5230

First I'll say, I don't know much about this MMO. 

I stopped reading right there. You should have waited until AFTER SOE Live to make this post. There is little to no information about the game, only vague explanations. Pictures and short video clips do NOT explain the game enough, nor did the stuff from last year's SOE Live (Which I attended). There should be a TON of information at next week's SOE Live (I'll be there again)

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by phantomghost
    Originally posted by time007
    dude, they are riding the wave of crap that is popular now. haha.  they basically pick crap that is popular and throw it in their game.  hah.  too bad.  I was looking for something old school as well, but they take some thing the kids like, mix it in with things vets like, the mix in some things the wow kids like, and the result is a new MMO. 

And the result is everybody wasting their money on the game, that they play 1-2 months and are looking for the next MMO.

If it's anything like Planetside 2, it's hardly a waste. I gladly subscribe to the All Access subscription because it helps support the game and it's all I need. I don't spend a penny more, nor do I feel like I need to. People need to get over the P2P model... It's dead.

• RimcyRimcy Member UncommonPosts: 44

EQ3 (or EQN) will soon fade into obscurity. All mmo's will do this because the objective in not to make a good mmo anymore. The objective is to make a game cheap and quickly as possible. Then sell said game (with an in-game cash shop) with as much hype as possible. Make as much money as you can while working on you next title.

This is the current business model. None of these development companies are interested in making game that people will play for five or more years. This is counter productive to their fast-cash business model.

With that said, this industry truly is ripe for the taking. If someone would make a game like EQ1, Asheron's Call, or even WoW (before Burning Crusade), they would seriously hurt these companies. These games were successful because their goal "was" to make a great game.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I hear people say nobody wants the old style grind like what EQ was but to most of us it never was a grind because levels wernt that important unless you were in a raiding guild. EQ was all about the journey and we used to be more interested in getting that piece for our epics or that boss mob to spawn and drop his gear or about making some plat so we could continue with our crafting. I am talking about the original EQ not the thing they have today.

If they could make a MMORPG that was the same but with the new tech and graphics they have today i think they would have a hit.

• RimcyRimcy Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by keenber

I hear people say nobody wants the old style grind like what EQ was but to most of us it never was a grind because levels wernt that important unless you were in a raiding guild. EQ was all about the journey and we used to be more interested in getting that piece for our epics or that boss mob to spawn and drop his gear or about making some plat so we could continue with our crafting. I am talking about the original EQ not the thing they have today.

If they could make a MMORPG that was the same but with the new tech and graphics they have today i think they would have a hit.

poetry!

I love the grind, I hate quest leveling. It was the community calling camp areas, it was exploration, it was perfect!

Grouping with friends, pulling mobs and talking for hours....perfect

The term "Ding!" was coined in EQ1. Because when you dinged, it meant something. The whole server would "Grats!"...perfect

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Rimcy

poetry!

I love the grind, I hate quest leveling. It was the community calling camp areas, it was exploration, it was perfect!

The term "Ding!" was coined in EQ1. Because when you dinged, it meant something. The whole server would "Grats!"...perfect

That was the old days, before raiding and endgame became all there is to do in MMOs (from the players' pov). These days, reviewers complains because ESO level curve is too slow...

Originally posted by khameleon

You might if the game is different enough from the other games you tried. But it have to be really different from all other MMOs you have tried and particularly with the combat mechanics. 

Many people did for example get a first kick from M59 or EQ and a second one from SWG or Eve. It is possible.

I dunno know if I can say that I am excited myself for EQ Next but I will surely give it a try. Features I have no idea how they will work are interesting but I am a bit careful with getting excited about stuff nowadays.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by DMKano

EQN is the 3rd iteration, the 2 previous iterations were EQ3 basically.

SOE is hoping to bring in a wide audience to EQN for max profit. It will be an ultra casual game, most likely not even a true MMORPG.COM like EQ1 and 2.

I expect EQN to be a massive disappointment to EQ fans.

I mean if H1Z1 is their idea of a game for SWG fans, it should tell you how out of touch they are.

I agree. Have no interest in EQN whatsoever.

+1

It's SOE, there's only one thing they want, money, and they want it now.  I'll never understand how a company with this bad of a record gets anyone to get hyped for their games, let alone buy them.

Originally posted by Gravarg
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by DMKano

EQN is the 3rd iteration, the 2 previous iterations were EQ3 basically.

SOE is hoping to bring in a wide audience to EQN for max profit. It will be an ultra casual game, most likely not even a true MMORPG.COM like EQ1 and 2.

I expect EQN to be a massive disappointment to EQ fans.

I mean if H1Z1 is their idea of a game for SWG fans, it should tell you how out of touch they are.

I agree. Have no interest in EQN whatsoever.

+1

It's SOE, there's only one thing they want, money, and they want it now.  I'll never understand how a company with this bad of a record gets anyone to get hyped for their games, let alone buy them.

They did succeed once with EQ and made a good try at least with SWG. The interesting thing is that they have done way better when they are experimenting with new stuff then when they are trying to improve existing mechanics. Sure, EQ had a lot in common with M59 but it introduced loads of new mechanics.

They still have a 75% or so failure rate so it is not time to get hyped before trying it but saying that they will fail is a mistake as well.

Personally am I more worried about them destroying the game with the cashshop, every game they have put one in so far have been way to money grabbing and unlike their record for games that is 100% so far which is a really bad track record.

• AztecAztec Member UncommonPosts: 101

poetry!

You made me shed a tear for all that has been lost. The nostalgia is thick in the breeze in this post. Why can't we go back to this with all the modern graphics?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Your missing the most important part of the poll,the one that fits my wants.

I don't HATE everything about Everquest,not even close to that,i actually like the franchise,SOE maybe not so much but nothing wrong with EQ.

I want a game that has the quality of a EQ game but lose the lame game play i have seen in EVERY game the last 10 years.

Gimmicks or fancy ideas won't change the CORE of a game and that is the part i want changed.I could fully enjoy an EQ setting but i want NO xp questing,full out grouping,full classes but using the FFXI sub class system.I want depth in every part of design not a generic system that looks the same 1-10 then again 11-20 again and again,that is where SOE is lame.I want a SKILL system not just levels ,that is part of depth.I want elemental properties and weather effects ect ect...i repeat DEPTH in systems.

SOe has already come close in several areas of design so i have confidence they COULD deliver my favorite game of all time but certain areas like AA and funky stats are a no no for me.

That is what scares me about SOE,they seem to have gotten real lazy on  on quality of xpacs ,so i don't really trust them anymore.Even their Voxels idea is a weak low graphic detail idea.I see what Epic games did by releasing their tools and game engine and imo it far exceeds Landmark and it's ancient pixel moving.Even  so i don't expect Landmark to be much in Next unless instanced or very limited  low poly content.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

poetry!

This is exactly why I'm excited for EQN and why other MMORPGs out have not kept my interest very long.  SOE is creating a world that's going to be constantly changing in dramatic ways and using a horizontal progression system.  So EQN is doing things in a new and fresh way, but the result is going to be appealing to those who want that original EQ adventure experience where the adventure was the game, not a race to "end game" and repeating said "end game" content to death.

It's going to be more about grouping up with anyone you want (no level or gear barriers to segment you from your friends or other players) and the world is worth exploring, because the entire game world is "end game" and it's constantly changing.  What was in an area last week could be completely gone, changed or insanely ramped up this week.

No other MMO is offering this kind of experience and it's more than enough of a reason for both new players and EQ vets alike to be excited for EQN.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

did love EQ2 but not the instance grinder SOE turned it into over the years....now EQnext excite me only because of storybricks - am sure it will be a novelty thing, but that is what innovation comes from...

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

poetry!

You made me shed a tear for all that has been lost. The nostalgia is thick in the breeze in this post. Why can't we go back to this with all the modern graphics?

Because the game would not last 12 months.

Times have changed and people do not have the same amount of free time they did back then.

• QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by sethman75

poetry!

Times have changed and people do not have the same amount of free time they did back then.

Pretty much this. You can take a look around at the most popular games around and realize almost instantly that they share a common thread, which is that they do not require endless amounts of time to play to be good. They can be picked up, played for an hour or so when blowing off steam, and then dropped.

EQN is doing the exact right thing in trying to incorporate a fantasy MMO motif with that style of game. WoW was the top game of the last generation, this current generation is owned by Minecraft and the like, hopefully the next one will be taking and melding an older school fantasy-style or themed MMO, with the ability to create and destroy anything in it. And that generation is completely up for grabs.

If SOE doesn't get there, I'm sure Blizzard will. Its pretty clear at this point its where everything is headed.

• ManifoldManifold Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Quillim
    Originally posted by sethman75

poetry!

Pretty much this. You can take a look around at the most popular games around and realize almost instantly that they share a common thread, which is that they do not require endless amounts of time to play to be good. They can be picked up, played for an hour or so when blowing off steam, and then dropped.

EQN is doing the exact right thing in trying to incorporate a fantasy MMO motif with that style of game. WoW was the top game of the last generation, this current generation is owned by Minecraft and the like, hopefully the next one will be taking and melding an older school fantasy-style or themed MMO, with the ability to create and destroy anything in it. And that generation is completely up for grabs.

If SOE doesn't get there, I'm sure Blizzard will. Its pretty clear at this point its where everything is headed.

Blizzard has all the pieces already, they just need to put them together.

Take an RTS like Starcraft. Make a map the size of Azeroth and put 4 computer factions in a 4v4 FFA. Slow all the build times down. Make the resources regenerate, but slowly. Drop the players in and let them have at it. A player could jump in with a computer faction and casually help it gather resources, claim territory or war with another faction. Or they could strike out on their own and try to build their own faction. Then just to shake things up occasionally drop a massive raid boss in the middle of it all and let it destroy as much as it can before the players take it down. Easy.

Blizzard will do this the moment the difference in their falling profits from WoW is larger than the projected cost of developing a new IP. It's all just math.

WildStar is like if Ratchet and Clank had a baby with Beyond Good & Evil and that baby was raised by World of Warcraft and Spore and babysat on the weekends by the aliens from Space Jam. It's an ugly bastard worth a few laughs but not much else.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Manifold

Blizzard has all the pieces already, they just need to put them together.

Take an RTS like Starcraft. Make a map the size of Azeroth and put 4 computer factions in a 4v4 FFA. Slow all the build times down. Make the resources regenerate, but slowly. Drop the players in and let them have at it. A player could jump in with a computer faction and casually help it gather resources, claim territory or war with another faction. Or they could strike out on their own and try to build their own faction. Then just to shake things up occasionally drop a massive raid boss in the middle of it all and let it destroy as much as it can before the players take it down. Easy.

Blizzard will do this the moment the difference in their falling profits from WoW is larger than the projected cost of developing a new IP. It's all just math.

Pretty much sounds like what SOE is attempting in a way. Except with a lot more than 4 factions and a lot more other elements as well. 

Really hope Blizzard's next game follows the same vision as what EQN and many other games are going for. Although I think it will be quite a while before we hear about it. Either starting a brand new IP or being creative enough to take an older one in a different direction is a lot of work. Hence EQN being scrapped multiple times over so many years.

If EQN turns out to not be that worth while, Blizzard is the only other company I see pulling it off on the large scale. Although many smaller games look promising in their own ways.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by OMGr8573
    Originally posted by time007
    dude, they are riding the wave of crap that is popular now. haha.  they basically pick crap that is popular and throw it in their game.  hah.  too bad.  I was looking for something old school as well, but they take some thing the kids like, mix it in with things vets like, the mix in some things the wow kids like, and the result is a new MMO. 

See that's where a lot of companies cannot win for losing. They give us something "old school" and people scream "We don't want old stuff, we want new and different!!!" they give us new and different and it's "We want MMORPGs like how they used to be!!!"

Yep. MMO gamers are a finicky picky loudmouth bunch who will instead of finding a game they like to play - rail, scream and shout about a game they don't like because it's not what they wanted.