Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed Beta...why you should avoid it...in my opinion.

ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

KEEP IN MIND PPL THIS IS MY OPINION

I got into this weeks closed beta and i managedt to get to 12 then found our im actually a FREE TRIAL tester and if i want to be a FULL game tester i will need to pay 150 bucks...well i donno i came into this "beta test" thinking i can play the full game to test everything....more so the housing....thats just me though....

now since i plan on subbing to the game on release i dont want this bad taste in my mouth from a poorly exicuted beta to ruin the game for me and make me stay away....

and this is why im saying and telling ppl to avoid the beta...it will leave a bad taste in your mouth...if you are like me go into it expecting to have access to everything so you can test the game and all its features so that you can determine if you will sub to it on release. If your in the same situation as me i am going to wait till release and keep watching twitch....

Comments

• StormtrooperDHStormtrooperDH Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Reasons for avoiding closed beta. Expensive, F2P when released. There's your reason.
  • ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    Originally posted by StormtrooperDH
    Reasons for avoiding closed beta. Expensive, F2P when released. There's your reason.

huh?

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    Originally posted by StormtrooperDH

hmmm...my beta key from this site was free :/ you can't buy anything in the cash shops nor can you purchase credits so where was that expensive part again? What's wrong with being f2p at release compared to games that start as p2p and convert to a f2p model?

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I went in to CB1 thinking we would have full access and found out that was not the case when I tried to place my first farm.  I know why it's this way with pay to beta and they don't want to piss off the players that paid up front. 

I feel they should give full access at this point so people can see if they want to buy it. If they feel their game is worthy they would have nothing to hide. I'm only one person but because of the way beta is I will pass on the game.

• StormtrooperDHStormtrooperDH Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Yeah i was too fast at commenting it seems :) I got myself a beta key, what i meant by expensive was the founder packs people had to buy before. Which also just came up on steam for sale. Also i meant non reason to pay for that when the game releases as f2p which i'm totaly fine with. I played the Russian version some time but the language made me stop. The game is really good, people should just wait for release instead of buying the packs to get into beta.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

This game's monetization has to be the worste thing I've ever experienced in any MMO.

Remove cash shop, remove F2P limitations, add 15/month sub that grants access to EVERYTHING the game has to offer, then I'll consider playing it. Otherwise no thanks.

• ThaiseeranThaiseeran Member UncommonPosts: 3
    But, you do have access to EVERYTHING if you sub...

No mercy for the weak, no pity for the dying, no tears for the slain!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    In the end, this game will set out what its supposed to do and kill time till Warlord's of Draenor.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by DMKano

OP it would be a lot more F'd up if the betas gave you access to paid features - it would be misleading and just WRONG.

It's a lot more honest for closed betas to show exactly what you you will get at launch without spending any money.

If I played a closed beta and loved it - only to find one on release that I was given things I need to pay for - I would feel swindled, cheated and most of all pissed.

F2P games need to have betas that showcase what you get without spending ANY money.

Also make friends  - fun fact - you can share farms, housing etc with friends - free players can farm and enjoy housing too without spending a cent.

Agreed, a beta for an F2P game should reflect the actual gameplay you will get AFTER launch.

I cannot begin to imagine the amount of QQ on the forums if the closed beta gave all players Patron status and then revoked it on launch day. The accusations of fraud, moneygrabbing, paywalling and "bait-and-switch" would be absolutely epic. image

F2P players can try out crafting and farming quite extensively during the beta events by using the public farms and workstations. Yes, the public farms are a bit more inconvenient with their time limits, but that also ensures that more people have a chance to use them.

These beta events will not really give anyone a true "feeling" of what the game and its economy will be like after launch. Very few people are playing seriously because there's a great deal of experimentation and learning going on. It will be much more cut-throat and competitive after launch.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I think Trion is actually testing the f2p model with this closed beta. At some point they may give every player some cash shop coins to see which items they buy most. And then they would set prices for those items accordingly on live servers. That is how i would have done it.  

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

As a person who is adverse to leaving their computer on all day / night long...the beta in it's current state is neigh unplayable (unless you like pure grind questing & killing mobs).  I logged into the new beta with 10 labor points and need 50 alone just to turn in the first crafting quest.  I could sit on my hands for an hour or wander around grinding while the points accrued...but I just got really bored, really fast.

I recommend everyone to avoid the game if they aren't a patron, because without labor points the game is more boring than practically everything else.  I really hope they make labor points more like production points of Tera...the system in it's current state is overly harsh :(

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont really care if the closed beta has limitations to non payers, im not gonna pay anyway. Plus I got a free code too.

With that said, if they do an open beta later on then the full game should be open for everyone. Potential subscribers and potential cash shop supporters are on the line here.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Waiting for it to install now so I can try myself. 

Because It cost me nothing, and I value my own opinion more than a random guy on the internet who thinks he knows what's best.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Waiting for it to install now so I can try myself. 

Because It cost me nothing, and I value my own opinion more than a random guy on the internet who thinks he knows what's best.

Give this man a beer.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Yauchy

As a person who is adverse to leaving their computer on all day / night long...the beta in it's current state is neigh unplayable (unless you like pure grind questing & killing mobs).  I logged into the new beta with 10 labor points and need 50 alone just to turn in the first crafting quest.  I could sit on my hands for an hour or wander around grinding while the points accrued...but I just got really bored, really fast.

I recommend everyone to avoid the game if they aren't a patron, because without labor points the game is more boring than practically everything else.  I really hope they make labor points more like production points of Tera...the system in it's current state is overly harsh :(

And that is a bad thing because?? It should be harsher for freeloaders. Labor points slow to regen, slower experience to level. If you not going to couph up a few bucks a month...why should subscribers pay for the free ride of freeloaders?

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

And that is a bad thing because?? It should be harsher for freeloaders. Labor points slow to regen, slower experience to level. If you not going to couph up a few bucks a month...why should subscribers pay for the free ride of freeloaders?

Because they aren't freeloaders 'yet'.  In order to test a game it would be nice to have points to actually...you know test certain features.  Not a commentary on the systems merit after the beta, just I'd recommend avoiding it now because of the fact.

I may be one of the few, as I do QA for a living, but I'd actually like to test the game but with limited game time and a lack of labor points, it seems they gave me a key for nothing - their loss I guess :)

Because they aren't freeloaders 'yet'.  In order to test a game it would be nice to have points to actually...you know test certain features.  Not a commentary on the systems merit after the beta, just I'd recommend avoiding it now because of the fact.

I may be one of the few, as I do QA for a living, but I'd actually like to test the game but with limited game time and a lack of labor points, it seems they gave me a key for nothing - their loss I guess :)

They have plenty of patrons to test these things, what they miss are f2p players to test the f2p stuff.

• LoneGreyWolfLoneGreyWolf Member UncommonPosts: 10

I'm not sure that I completely understand the OP.

I am in the CB2 as well as I got a key from here. However, I have not played long enough to do any of the above. I did however join a guild and someone is supposed to be giving me the materials to build my own home. I just have to build up the labor points which I left my computer running all night to do.

As a free player of AA we're not going to be able to build our own home, farm, do husbandry or anything along those lines?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    LOL, but random guy on the internet does know best... he told you himself, and since it's on the internet, it must be true...
  • LoneGreyWolfLoneGreyWolf Member UncommonPosts: 10

I just want to comment on the freeloaders portion of your post.

I cannot speak for other people, but in my situation, I gravitate towards free-to-play games because I cannot afford to pay a sub each month. For some, $15 is nothing but pocket change, to others, it's so much more than that.

My situation is that I am my wife's full-time caregiver, and I also take care of our 20 month old daughter. We live off of my wife's disability check, as well as my daughter receiving dependent benefits through my wife's disability. Our income is accounted for each month and we have very little after paying for necessities. The very little goes towards gas for our car so that my wife can go back and forth to her doctors to which she sees at least one per week. We also need gas to be able to buy groceries and dry goods for the month.

So as much as I would like to pay for the game I, by circumstance, am unable to do so. I am not a freeloader because I do not want to pay, I am a freeloader because it is the only way I can play.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

This game's monetization has to be the worste thing I've ever experienced in any MMO.

Remove cash shop, remove F2P limitations, add 15/month sub that grants access to EVERYTHING the game has to offer, then I'll consider playing it. Otherwise no thanks.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. F2P is over rated and in the end far to expensive if you want to get the most out of this (or any) f2p game. Ironic isn't it, something that says "f2p" yet you end up SPENDING MONEY to actually properly enjoy that game. In this game it will cost me $2 per 10 additional slots of inventory. Way too expensive and not something that will make me want to stay with the game. And if I am not going to stay with the game, why would I spend the money in the first place.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

This is pretty much my opinion as well. F2P is over rated and in the end far to expensive if you want to get the most out of this (or any) f2p game. Ironic isn't it, something that says "f2p" yet you end up SPENDING MONEY to actually properly enjoy that game. In this game it will cost me $2 per 10 additional slots of inventory. Way too expensive and not something that will make me want to stay with the game. And if I am not going to stay with the game, why would I spend the money in the first place.

Well you seem misinformed so i'll inform you a bit. f2p players can do EVERYTHING, if they have gold.

Everything that's sold on the cash shop can be sold to on the auction house (apart cosmetic stuff); so yeah you can do everything without spending money. BUT you need lot's of free time to get that gold; which is how it should be for f2p games. You don't want to pay money? Pay with your time.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Its my understanding from reading/watching what official sources have said that just as An4thor has mentioned above trion has indeed already made mention that free players will be able to purchase everything with in game gold by release similar to GW2 and others..

And If they hold true to this model than it truly is a great f2p model..

My guess is it will be very grindy and long term to go the f2p route but it wll not cost the players a penny just a lot of time not unlike other popular f2p games..

I enjoyed the closed beta very much..

Playing GW2..

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

KEEP IN MIND PPL THIS IS MY OPINION

I got into this weeks closed beta and i managedt to get to 12 then found our im actually a FREE TRIAL tester and if i want to be a FULL game tester i will need to pay 150 bucks...well i donno i came into this "beta test" thinking i can play the full game to test everything....more so the housing....thats just me though....

now since i plan on subbing to the game on release i dont want this bad taste in my mouth from a poorly exicuted beta to ruin the game for me and make me stay away....

and this is why im saying and telling ppl to avoid the beta...it will leave a bad taste in your mouth...if you are like me go into it expecting to have access to everything so you can test the game and all its features so that you can determine if you will sub to it on release. If your in the same situation as me i am going to wait till release and keep watching twitch....

You are correct. You got to test the F2P part of the game.  They are thinking of changing some aspect of the game, due to the F2P testers. So, its a success as far as Im concerned.

Also, getting to level 12 is not much of the game. Under an hour just doing boring quest at best. I found the quest boring, The main Story is also meh to me. Only done to about lvle 20 in that. The quest are to show you what you can do, your options. A tutorial.