Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Community Day Reveals New Expansion Details

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Trion opened its doors to some of its most dedicated players and invited them in for an inside look at their favorite games. They called the event “Trion Community Day 2014” and attendees have returned with a whole slew of new information on RIFT’s upcoming expansion, Nightmare Tide. This week we’re talking new zones, nightmare rifts, mentoring UP, minions, and more. Read on for all the details.

Read more of Christopher Coke's Tripping the Rift: Community Day Reveals New Expansion Details.

Nightmare Tide Instance

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

new lvl cap?

mentoring up like CoH :D , removing the only tank stat left finally , it was a pain to be forced to have another set of gear

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Rift is very good, but having tried FF XIV, I can't see myself going back to Rift...

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Skuall

new lvl cap?

mentoring up like CoH :D , removing the only tank stat left finally , it was a pain to be forced to have another set of gear

Bah, I miss the days of tanks needing to stack certain stats for certain encounters.

I'll never forget stacking def rating to make sure you were uncrittable in WoW, as well as stacking frost resist to down heroic Sindragosa. This whole thing about "I dont wanna put in time to customizes my charecter to meet a perticular challenge" is killing themeparks.

At least SWTOR still has multiple tank specific stats, with no plans in sight to remove them.

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

ok this post is weird...

2.8 is live right now not coming....it was released a few days ago....they also had a mini-patch yesterday to address some issues that cropped up...like a weird bug where you couldn't use a button in the auction house screen among other things.

Ok again....seriously.....this isn't coming out its out....as of 2 days ago......did this community day happen over a week ago?

Seams like an article that should have been posted a week or longer ago......

ok forgot the link: http://community.riftgame.com/en/2014/08/06/rift-2-8-madness-wakes-is-live/

sorry I am not good at using the link thing...seams to lock up my browser when I attempt to use it.
  • popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Funny, I tried FF XIV and immediately went back to RIFT.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by popezaphod
    Funny, I tried FF XIV and immediately went back to RIFT.

Playing ESO made me want to play Rift oddly enough.

• WockyCCWockyCC Member UncommonPosts: 26

Here's a video / summary of a discussion of 3 people who were invited:

twitter @WockyCC | you-tube: WockyCC

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Plageron

ok this post is weird...

2.8 is live right now not coming....it was released a few days ago....they also had a mini-patch yesterday to address some issues that cropped up...like a weird bug where you couldn't use a button in the auction house screen among other things.

Ok again....seriously.....this isn't coming out its out....as of 2 days ago......did this community day happen over a week ago?

ok forgot the link: http://community.riftgame.com/en/2014/08/06/rift-2-8-madness-wakes-is-live/

sorry I am not good at using the link thing...seams to lock up my browser when I attempt to use it.

I think the 2.8 on the server now is prequel to prepare for the expansion was what I thought I heard.

See opening paragraph here:

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    Originally posted by Plageron

ok this post is weird...

I think the 2.8 on the server now is prequel to prepare for the expansion was what I thought I heard.

See opening paragraph here:

Yes, that is exactly right. Patch 2.8 is live with one expansion dungeon and some story content to bridge the gap (and lots more, of course). Patch 3.0 is expected later this year.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

I used to have a subscription back in the day, and even then, same as now after Rift went F2P, the combat animations are still awful.

It feels disconnected, especially in melee, and there is no impact effect at all. That or it feels like your fighting the wind. Not to mention the character stances or combat animations, which are only 2 or 3 at max.

If they'd fix this major issue, which i personally can NOT stand in games, i would so play Rift on a daily basis.  

They did a great job around the diversity of specs and such, and many soul concepts are great, but the execution of the animations, when in combat is always the same and it feels terrible.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Skuall

new lvl cap?

I couldn't disagree more.

I hate the lack of identity in Rift, and being able to use the same gear for any role adds to that.  Each role should have to earn gear separately IMO. 

I also hate the idea of mentoring up.  Can't people earn things any more?  Its not like leveling in Rift is very time consuming...

However, the guard stat seems like a cool idea and am curious to see how it turns out so other games can copy it.

And speaking of copy, minions sound awfully familiar to the concept WoW announced 2 years ago.  While other games have used them for crafting (Neverwinter, SWToR), Im hoping Rift and WoW think bigger and Im curious to see the result.  This is a GOOD example of copying, because WoW hasn't even released their version yet so the two games are bound to have different mechanics...and both can learn from each other.  As well as future games.

• samfortalsamfortal Member Posts: 13

I miss Rift in early days, but not now. A new player cannot kill old players, so I should I play it?

Sorry Rift, I'm going to Archeage.

• vecconveccon Member Posts: 17

[quote]I also hate the idea of mentoring up.  Can't people earn things any more?  Its not like leveling in Rift is very time consuming... [/quote]

Mentoring up just allows you to run some content with higher level friends. You don't get any active abilities, you can't equip higher level gear, and from the sounds of it, you can't accept higher level quests either. Mostly, this seems like a way to give people a taste of high-level content, like raid rifts, hunt rfts, and Zone events, which tend to be better at higher levels. This is an alternate leveling path, not an easy way to immediately hit max.

• GurubuGurubu Member Posts: 5
    I've tried going back to Rift one or two times (when i'm in gamers purgatory) but everytime I do the game/gameplay just feels dated/rigid.

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

• TajeoTajeo Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I have a love-hate relationship with Rift. I fell in love with vanilla Rift and played off and on (mainly due to my IRL obligations). Then with SL the game fell apart. It's like Trion just lost their shit with the expansion. What kills me is they have a metric-ton of really great features for this game. A very desperate side of me wishes that Blizz would pay Trion for Rift and put the proper time and money this game deserves into it and bring it up to par.
  • TajeoTajeo Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by samfortal

I miss Rift in early days, but not now. A new player cannot kill old players, so I should I play it?

Sorry Rift, I'm going to Archeage.

ArcheAge is a nice alternative. A lot of potential there.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Rift is not my main game (WS it is) but its one of the games (GW2, SWTOR & EvE the rest)  i always keep an eye on it and log in from time to time to see the changes.

Happy to see its still growing and improving.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2