Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: So You Don’t Like TSW? I Don’t Care

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by VerdicAysen
    I think maybe the point is lost on the people you are trying to address. At the end of the day they are certain they are correct. I would suggest hitting up the spell checker next time though.

It isn't that... Her article has no facts in it at all. It even totally misses the point when it comes to some of the reasons why people don't like TSW or Funcom. In all honesty to see this article on MMORPG.com is surprising to me... It's badly written, has zero research behind its subject, and is voiced in a condescending manner.

Professionalism is something I've sort of come to expect from MMORPG.com, and this article completely lacks it, beginning with the title. It's as if MMORPG.com gave this article to some random person who played TSW and told them to go crazy.

Smile

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Crusades
    I kind of get the feeling that you secretly do care.

This. If the article writer didn't care he wouldn't have written an entire article trying to convince people that their complaints aren't valid. What this frustrated forum post does as frontpage article, I have no idea.  

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I don't like TSW. You don't care. I don't care that you don't care. We've arrived at an impasse. Maybe the only thing we can do is you keep playing TSW and I'll keep not playing it and somehow we'll find a way to get on with our lives. Gamers in general are a laughable lot. We treat this whole "hater vs fanboy" thing like it's trying to achieve peace in the Middle East. I'll leave it to the trolls to decide who's the Zionists and who's the Jihadists in this comparison lol

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

cool game, bad article

TSW did the story thing really well (worlds better than the 300 million dollar budget star wars the old republic) but unfortunately that's the one aspect people care about least in mmos

hoping one of these days it goes F2P

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Spankster77
    If you really don't care what people think about TSW then why write this column? I get it, you like the game and that's cool but your whole article is basically trying to invalidate people's reasons for not liking the game.  This is a strange way to go about expressing the reasons that you think TSW is a good game.  In addition the condescending manner in which you express said feelings doesn't really help deliver your point, it does just the opposite. 

This!

Right on the nail.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• I love this game. I really, really do.

I just wish I could have a linux-only system and when I tried to install the game with the latest Wine I got numerous errors, like a ton.

So I continue to use Windows until TSW/Wine/whatever gets fixed.

But yea, the game rocks!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

This was/is a good game. I should get back into it! I started playing it along with my Sons who eventually quit so I did too. It is a very challenging game, especially if you can stay off the internet for puzzle/mission hints.

The animation is kinda clunky, but the talent wheel makes up for that imho. The world is creepy which I like because it is different! I mean it's not like getting drunk at a party and accidently french kissing your aunt creepy, but it has a strange feel to it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Um ok.

Why was this column written when every single post on ESO breeds 10 times the hate posts regardless of the topic? I'd say TSW has long shaken many of the reasons why players hate the game. It only has ONE remaining: The combat system is hated by many. It isn't about being bugged. It flat out isn't fun.

Tally all the reasons people give for not playing this game and the things even non-players like about the game and results will be nearly the same for everyone. Disregarding core themepark design they love the RP, they love the stories and themes, they love the graphics (other than toons) and mood but HATE the combat (unless changes to crafting has occurred it also was pretty harsh). It is pretty simple. 

TSW hate is so far off the radar from ESO hate it makes one wonder how this column was even written.

You stay sassy!

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88

I really like TSW. And that being said I highly doubt this column does the game and its reception any favour. There are many good things that could be said about this game. This column concentrated completely on the wrong ones: those that are actually a matter of taste. You can't argue about taste without looking like a complete moron ....

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Heres my 2 cents and by god I thank you for coming up to the front line...Too many game players want the easy road to loot and greatness...and we want it simple or we want it now or we just freaking WANT....Too many trollers and not enough people who just like the game...I love TSW and ALL that it encompasses...So ya wanna whine? Wanna Troll? Uninstall and leave me alone...I like, you dont...get over it...damn...you just humiliate yerslef with all the whinging...find a game ya like and leave us likers/lovers of said game alone..Thank you...be well all
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Um ok.

Why was this column written when every single post on ESO breeds 10 times the hate posts regardless of the topic? I'd say TSW has long shaken many of the reasons why players hate the game. It only has ONE remaining: The combat system is hated by many. It isn't about being bugged. It flat out isn't fun.

Tally all the reasons people give for not playing this game and the things even non-players like about the game and results will be nearly the same for everyone. Disregarding core themepark design they love the RP, they love the stories and themes, they love the graphics (other than toons) and mood but HATE the combat (unless changes to crafting has occurred it also was pretty harsh). It is pretty simple. 

TSW hate is so far off the radar from ESO hate it makes one wonder how this column was even written.

Sorry, I had a hard time following your point on the topic. You think the column was written to hate TSW? O.o?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

One of the worst and most arrogant articles I've ever seen written on this site.  I expect those that write articles on MMO's to have a little objectivity, and this reads like a fanboy love letter.

There are some serious issues with the game play mechanics for Secret World and who the hell are you to tell everyone that they are the problem?

This article is utter trash and I've lost a lot of respect for a site that lets this type of trash be posted.

• MrfoxknoxMrfoxknox Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Varthander

i have the same problem with both TSW and TERA, both of them have compatibility issues with some Nvidia cards and one of them is the one im using at the moment.

Fortunately in 3+ years only these 2 games are the ones with that problem, and in my opinion thats pretty dissapointing to say the least.

What card are you using? I´ve been using GTX480, GTX660 and now having a GTX770 and haven´t seen any problems with any of them and still play both those games from release til now.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Ragnar Tornquist is a brilliant writer. He should be in film. Joel made more happen with less than most. That was the problem though there just wasn't enough $$ to make the game. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Um ok.

Sorry, I had a hard time following your point on the topic. You think the column was written to hate TSW? O.o?

No I did not.

You stay sassy!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    There are a couple of things that just kill the experience for me, which of course may just be silly to others but its just my personal experience. 1) no mounts in a modern world setting. Of course when I say that, people will say look at GW2; however, GW2 combats this with movement speed options and many ways to teleport around mounts if you activate them. That being said, I dont like GW2 for other reasons, hense I dont play it. Anyway, it just bothers me that I have to constantly walk around these maps seeing cars/scooters/etc yet I can't get on one and go....I need to walk. 2) is the questing hub. It makes no sense to me that I can only have a limit of certain types of quests at once especially if some quests of the same type, take me to the same spots, but the turn in npcs are scatters all over. Those two things kill the game for me. People say that maps are too small to have mounts but there are plenty of games that have maps half the game's size and still get mounts to work, so its just lazy coding. As for the quest hub, there's not excuse for it. True the story is good, but sadly that can't save games most of the time. If people want good stories, just play single player games.
  • blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by markh777
    Heres my 2 cents and by god I thank you for coming up to the front line...Too many game players want the easy road to loot and greatness...and we want it simple or we want it now or we just freaking WANT....Too many trollers and not enough people who just like the game...I love TSW and ALL that it encompasses...So ya wanna whine? Wanna Troll? Uninstall and leave me alone...I like, you dont...get over it...damn...you just humiliate yerslef with all the whinging...find a game ya like and leave us likers/lovers of said game alone..Thank you...be well all

I have another suggestion: if you can't handle criticism like a normal adult, then maybe you should just stay away from forums. Different opinions are the whole reason why they exist at all. And if it's too much to ask for, then you could at least refrain from visiting threads with posts that might diverge with your world view.

Hint: you are not what you like or dislike. A bit distance and dissociation generally helps in life.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I always liked this game.  Yet the title is almost like a bait thread.  I think it could have been worded better.   I understand where you're coming from, but the attitude of the OP is really questionable when this site is supposed to be about discussion.  How do you have a discussion with someone that openly admits they don't care for one.  If it's a monologue you were going for there are better places for that.
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

not going to get into what i think of the article. A lot of people sing praise at the depth of TSW and I hardly hear complaints. The funcom complaints were mostly at release i believe. 

The only thing I think you have wrong is the combat complaint. It's not the actions, the buttom mashing or whatever.  it was slow, aiming was odd and the attack animations didn't work well with what you were trying to do. The combat motions had no smoothness. Now this may have changed but i wanted to clear up what a lot of complaints in closed beta were about. This was one of the few games that i was in at very early beta and it made me stop from buying it.

I have nothing major to say about the game as i havent played it in forever , but wanted to clarify what people were really complaining about and when . I frequent teh forums and see nothing but praise for TSW  (minus obvious trolls of course).

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The punctuation and grammar in that article are absolutely atrocious.

I'm not saying this as a jab at the writer, but if you're going to publish an article, be it an opinion piece or otherwise, at least take the time to proof-read your draft and make any appropriate corrections before submitting it. These are basic fundamentals of writing that should never be neglected if you intend to appear professional.

I'd work on that first in order to further your "career", before worrying about nonsensical internet drama (such as the opinions of random cyber-dwellers).  Just my two cents.

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by grimal
    I always liked this game.  Yet the title is almost like a bait thread.  I think it could have been worded better.   I understand where you're coming from, but the attitude of the OP is really questionable when this site is supposed to be about discussion.  How do you have a discussion with someone that openly admits they don't care for one.  If it's a monologue you were going for there are better places for that.

I was merely making a point to the haters and sorry if I offended you

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

There's nothing wrong with having a niche game - providing that description isn't just a cover up for a game that's bombed.

SW was intentionally developed to be away from the norm, with it's google searches etc.

But irrespective of whether a game is designed to be 'away from the norm' - the parts that are considered to be fairly standard mmo bread & butter, combat / crafting - still need to be comparable in quality with mainstream games.

I think the devs went out of the way to bring individuality to everything in the game - with only partial success.

Some of these things work well - the atmosphere generated within the game is excellent for example.

But some don't. Melee combat looks like random arm waving, either that or the character is being pestered by a swarm of midges. Melee combat should look exactly what it's supposed to be, a character landing a blow on an enemy - not wildly flailing about like nursery kids having a squabble.

This has been a long standing issue with the game, and should have been fixed a long time ago. Never mind having a couple more undead stumbling round - improve the basic core functions of the game.

Crafting - already been said by a previous poster. Again it's got the 'different' tag on it, but unfortunately in this case that's not a good thing.

On screen quest listing and selection - clumsy and over complicated.

Content - never did live up to the hyped frequency. A basic lesson here - don't make promises you can get nowhere near achieving. It will only add to the dissatisfaction.

Summary - take a step back and rework some of the core aspects of the game. I know it's not glamorous and it can be hard graft. It could also be pretty uncomfortable to admit that it wasn't that good as you thought it was going to be.

Improve melee combat - significantly. Change the crafting mechanics. Simplify the quest format on screen.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I still play this game but this column is that kind of white knight trash that makes me feel ashamed to have something in common with the columnist.
    Instead of pointing out the good aspects, this is just a little tantrum with the message: "I am right and you are wrong."
    Harbinger of Fools
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    TSW is fine for what it is, but it certainly isn't something I'd expect anyone to play long term. Once you're done with the story, and you've PvP'ed a bit, what the hell else is there to do but create a new character? I'm not saying this is a problem specific to TSW, it's very prevalent in many MMO's, but these worlds definitely suffer from a lack of things to do in them.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What a stupid article! 

You don't like the game? It's not the game, it's you!

LOL