Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs that run on Debian, No WINE

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
So my friend is willing to play an MMO with me IF it runs on his computer.  Which is a Debian box, and he won't install WINE or another windows emulation thing.  So, are there any recent MMOs which run on Debian, or MMOs which recently gained the ability to run on Debian?  Or is it the same few it was 5 years ago, the last time I researched this topic?
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• Originally posted by sunandshadow
    So my friend is willing to play an MMO with me IF it runs on his computer.  Which is a Debian box, and he won't install WINE or another windows emulation thing.  So, are there any recent MMOs which run on Debian, or MMOs which recently gained the ability to run on Debian?  Or is it the same few it was 5 years ago, the last time I researched this topic?

I believe with the Steam client you have a few options available (online, RPG, don't know about MMO specifically), but there are definitely very few if even a handful that run natively on linux.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Steam isn't actually out yet for Weezy (or however you spell that) so if we want to use that we'd have to wait a few months.  Maybe it will have to be something browser-based, for now... :/
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

I don't believe there are any Debian native MMORPG's.

However, if you really want to fill that craving for one, check out some browser MMORPG's.

Only one that really comes to mind is RuneScape, haven't played it in years so I'm not sure if it's any good.

• Darkane42Darkane42 Member Posts: 26

Not sure what differance Debian vs other linux distros it makes but from a quick search i cam e up with this...

http://www.lgdb.org/category/subgenre/mmo

It lists about 50 mmos that seam to support linux a few of which look pretty good.. Entropy is a space MMO them is cross platform Win/Mac/Linux.. also Ultima Online via a cross platform engine (NOT a emulator) called Iris2 (only works on free shards as far as i can tell).. looks like some decent things to mess with and see if any of them will work for you

again.. i'm not a linux guy but that might be a place to start

another option.. Minecraft.. there are some pretty amazing custom servers out there

http://www.dungeonrealms.net/ being one that i tried a while ago.. was prety good actually.. no real building tho.. all about fighting and gear..

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Sounds like a trick question OP. He basically said:

"I will spend hours playing a game with you IF you find a game that conforms to the exact specifications and non-industry standard gaming platform that I have pigeonholed myself into."

Tell him to keep enjoying Tuxkart while you go and make friends in a decent game that can be considered both modern and fun for longer then 5 minutes. Ignore the Linux troll, tell him to google "dual boot".

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Valve did port Source to Linux (Debian in particular, since SteamoS is Debian-based), so that's a good sign. I can only think of one MMO that is based on Source though, and it's a heavily customized version that probably won't be ported (Vindictus).

So pretty much every game by Valve runs on Debian, and the Steam store clearly indicates what they have that runs native on Linux now, and there are quite a few titles on there.

The bad news is that doesn't include many MMOs really, or at least any "AAA" ones. I counted 6 out of 94 "MMO"-classified games on the Steam store that supported Linux natively, and there are likely a few hidden gems out there outside of the Steam store (it's not really known for it's MMO library).

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

Ryzom advertises a native Linux client - it should work fine, but i haven't tested it.

It's a very nice MMO to play with a friend, and you will get to meet people there as well cause it has a nice community.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Wine Is Not an Emulator (literally).

On a serious note, there is no reason not to use Wine or another compatibility layer. Sorry to say, but Your friend is being difficult for no reason.
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Originally posted by fearu

Sounds like a trick question OP. He basically said:

"I will spend hours playing a game with you IF you find a game that conforms to the exact specifications and non-industry standard gaming platform that I have pigeonholed myself into."

Tell him to keep enjoying Tuxkart while you go and make friends in a decent game that can be considered both modern and fun for longer then 5 minutes. Ignore the Linux troll, tell him to google "dual boot".

Loll, best answer.

• RaybargRaybarg Member Posts: 8

Wurm Online is Java game and runs on Linux too; http://www.wurmonline.com/

Trailer; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_kRVR5zqI

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Darkane42

Not sure what differance Debian vs other linux distros it makes but from a quick search i cam e up with this...

http://www.lgdb.org/category/subgenre/mmo

It lists about 50 mmos that seam to support linux a few of which look pretty good.. Entropy is a space MMO them is cross platform Win/Mac/Linux.. also Ultima Online via a cross platform engine (NOT a emulator) called Iris2 (only works on free shards as far as i can tell).. looks like some decent things to mess with and see if any of them will work for you

again.. i'm not a linux guy but that might be a place to start

another option.. Minecraft.. there are some pretty amazing custom servers out there

http://www.dungeonrealms.net/ being one that i tried a while ago.. was prety good actually.. no real building tho.. all about fighting and gear..

That was incredibly helpful, thank you!  Ryzom seems like it specifically supports Debian, and I trialed that game a few years ago and am interested to see what has become of it since then, so I'll try that one first. :)

@Raybarg Wurm is a good option too, another game I've tried in the past for a few days but not played so much I'm tired of it.  That might be plan B.