Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: So You Don’t Like TSW? I Don’t Care

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Opinions are like…I’m not going to finish that sentence for the sake of the future of my career. But you know how it goes. And it seems a lot of people have opinions on The Secret World. In fact a lot of them are bad. So bad they bear repeating at least every two weeks. Or so they seem to think. So I’m going to break down a few of the ones I keep seeing over and over.

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: So You Don’t Like TSW? I Don’t Care.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Is this a proper article ? . It sounds from its title its been lifted from a forum thread . Seems a bit silly I didn't bother reading further . 
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I agree on everything but the combat! Even though I am a lifetimer I don't play very much.

It has nothing to do with the skills themselves, just how the whole system feels. It's rather clunky, kinda feels like the same setup as Wildstar except Wildstar did it smoother.

It is a really cool game though overall!

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

If you really don't care what people think about TSW then why write this column?

I get it, you like the game and that's cool but your whole article is basically trying to invalidate people's reasons for not liking the game.  This is a strange way to go about expressing the reasons that you think TSW is a good game.  In addition the condescending manner in which you express said feelings doesn't really help deliver your point, it does just the opposite. 

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    ^ Agree 100% with Dreamo84!
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Nice article, if there was ever an MMO that needed an injection of cold cash to bring it in line with other AA MMO's its this one. The concept, dialog, quests and story telling experience is fantastic. It is, sadly however a victim of itself, Funcom has a bad rep and many people (mainly from the AoC days) will simply give the company a wide birth.

This game, for all its faults is B2P and to be honest the game can be bought very cheaply and I have seen it as low as $10 on some sites. The F2P aspect of the game is great, nothing locked or restricted in the a-typical F2P or Freemium sense, but you do pay for additional content, as you would DLC. 

The trouble with TSW is its staying power, the financial situation of Funcom has rendered it in a position where content just doesn't keep up to date with the games community demand. i tend to play every now and then whenever new content comes out, spend a good period of time playing then I bugger off again for a period of time. 

The game is sound though, it just needs more funding if honest. I wish they tried harder to achieve that rather than just trying to keep a-float which is the impression I get. 

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    No game give better effects when you crit and penetrate. Pure awesome. 
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Claws and Chaos?  Don't you mean Fists and Chaos hehe?  That's my favorite too!  This article is pretty much spot on!
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Being honest I have installed this game Several Times, and Erased it from my PC multiple times but lets look at why I don't like TSW.

. From the point of playing it the starter town every time I re-install and tried the game had lag issues in just that specific area no idea why but it was annoying.

. I was in TSW Beta, but purchased the game for like $40 from another re-seller, and didn't complete my transaction through FunCom, so basically what happens is I can't use my same account name because FunCom won't simply manually enter the key for me because I can't and when I do get charged later for my 2nd account and I contact customer service because of their automatic system putting through the charge after the game was already Free 2 Play they ban the Second Account. (Bad Customer Service?) (No Ability To cancel my own transactions that I have not yet paid for?)

. TSW lacks what I expect from it as a game even if I paid the subscription Fee, I don't get unlimited access to full customization right off, I think the game since the last time I played it could use better crafting system, some bug fixes etc.

This is a bit off topic but I have played other FunCom titles including Age OF Conan, and Blood Line Champions, Last time I played AOC was like 1-2 years ago rolled a character on the PVP server couldn't find enough players so I quit the game again uninstalled it.

And with Blood Line Champions the game just doesn't appeal to me the combat is okay but the Theme doesn't appeal to me, and I personally like League Better than every other MOBA except for maybe Heroes of the Storm, and Smite.

Over-All my biggest complaint is about FunCom in General, I don't believe this company has what it takes to compete in the MMO Industry because of my experience with them but this is my opinion, and I could complain about 3-4 other major companies same things which is why I don't play their games.

If I had to give my opinion on the current best F2P game the game would be "Rift" although I don't personally play it because the theme just doesn't fit what I really like, or perhaps I am just burn out on MMO's all together and looking for something new.

• D_AlighieriD_Alighieri Member Posts: 2

I loved what I played of TSW, and contemplating returning. What bugs me a bit is the die hard fanboy- and fangirlism that not only TSW suffers from but other MMOs.

Instead of taking a step back and thinking about the criticism from say a new player, and perhaps guiding them ingame to activities they would enjoy, they get their backs up and go full counter commando on their respective forums.

Sure there are a lot of complainers and cynical people on the anonymous super interweb information highway but instead of focusing energy on worrying about criticism, focus on helping new players.

It's really the developers/community rep that should answer, not the players.

EDIT: I get what the column is trying to say but it comes out a bit unfortunate. Maybe consider at least editing the title?

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

i have the same problem with both TSW and TERA, both of them have compatibility issues with some Nvidia cards and one of them is the one im using at the moment.

Fortunately in 3+ years only these 2 games are the ones with that problem, and in my opinion thats pretty dissapointing to say the least.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Love the article, it is spot on. Specially the movement part.

In real life if you swing anything your torso does move. Imagine playing baseball and swing the bat. ( no need to be a adult here to understand that ).

And his comment about GW2 is not bad or wrong, it is true. Nothing he said is even remotely bashing the game. Just read the article it is a good one.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I can't take this article seriously when it claims that "The fact is TSW started this fad, instead of having a million buttons that all do the same thing..." Sorry, but TSW didn't start that "fad." It's been in quite a bit of other MMORPGs before TSW was even a thought.

Also, you completely and utterly missed the reason as to why so many people dislike Funcom. It's not just because of bad launches, it's because of corrupt GMs and employees, and the fact that their customer service has always been abysmal. Funcom has lied to their players, not once, but on several occasions in the past (not to mention they seem to have a bad habit of charging people's credit cards without consent). It's not exactly something that builds trust with players. So yes, there track record is actually worse than most game companies.

I'm sorry but it seems like absolutely zero research went into writing this article...

Smile

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I kind of get the feeling that you secretly do care.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Im OK with TSW only offering 7 slots on the skillbar.... The big issue with it is that you have 3 weapons to play with at any time and only one skillbar.... they needed to add a skillbar swap to take advantage of the other weapons. It is a weak system as it is now.

You(OP) mentioned GW2 as an example but i think GW1 is a better example for this comparison. GW1 had a similar situation with dual classing and various weapon swaps and still kept a single skillbar, but that game had more critical decisions to make with your class and the skills you chose had more impact on your gameplay while in TSW its all about the latest cookie cutter build, making it not very complex at all....

ANyway, animations is the reason i dont play this game anymore. I log in every once in a while to enjoy the dark theme and storyline, but cant advance much without fighting and ugh.,... those animations.....

• LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Spankster77

If you really don't care what people think about TSW then why write this column?

I get it, you like the game and that's cool but your whole article is basically trying to invalidate people's reasons for not liking the game.  This is a strange way to go about expressing the reasons that you think TSW is a good game.  In addition the condescending manner in which you express said feelings doesn't really help deliver your point, it does just the opposite. 

This.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    in mmo's i dislike  when is mmo story driven , voice acting , cut scenes but I love TSW ! one by best games in genre
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    One thing you didn't mention or I missed it the crafting is the worst I have ever played and the main reason I stopped playing.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    no mention about the lack of content being churned out. sigh

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Varthander

i have the same problem with both TSW and TERA, both of them have compatibility issues with some Nvidia cards and one of them is the one im using at the moment.

Fortunately in 3+ years only these 2 games are the ones with that problem, and in my opinion thats pretty dissapointing to say the least.

Well its not always the game that's at fault. If "some" nvidias do well and all AMDs do well, then its most likely nvidia not giving a crap about your GPU (say, its 2 years old or so). I've had no issue with this game 3 years ago on my Radeon HD 6850 neither do I have now with R9 290X. Sorry bro, bad GPU manufacturer

• TownfoolTownfool Member UncommonPosts: 15

Finally, good ballsy article about a very misaligned mmorpg!!!!  Right On Brother...

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

"I’m not going to finish that sentence for the sake of the future of my career. "

It's a bit late for that.  This article is just about as bad as a forum fanboy, trying to defend his "perfect" MMO.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by SBFord

Opinions are like…I’m not going to finish that sentence for the sake of the future of my career. But you know how it goes. And it seems a lot of people have opinions on The Secret World. In fact a lot of them are bad. So bad they bear repeating at least every two weeks. Or so they seem to think. So I’m going to break down a few of the ones I keep seeing over and over.

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: So You Don’t Like TSW? I Don’t Care.

How about this one SBFord  it has to do about Fucom as a whole and if this happened to you how would you feel about the company.

Bought Collectors edition of Age of Conan paid a 6 month reacurring sub played the game and around the 40 day area I asked in game forums When were they gonna put in Bar Room Brawling. I was given a permanent ban from Funcom.

I uninstalled the Game and Threw Collector's Edition in the Trash.

From that day forward I do not miss a chance from doing what I can in preventing other folks from playing any of Funcom's games.

My little revenge and will continue to do so.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by observer

"I’m not going to finish that sentence for the sake of the future of my career. "

It's a bit late for that.  This article is just about as bad as a forum fanboy, trying to defend his "perfect" MMO.

This!

Never saw such fanboyish article

• VerdicAysenVerdicAysen Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I think maybe the point is lost on the people you are trying to address. At the end of the day they are certain they are correct. I would suggest hitting up the spell checker next time though.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by greatskys
    Is this a proper article ? . It sounds from its title its been lifted from a forum thread . Seems a bit silly I didn't bother reading further . 

I agree completely.  I'm not really a fan or non-fan of TSW, but this read just like any other forum "My game is good and yours sucks" type of thread.  Kind of disappointing.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor