Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge is not innovative and is Pay to Win, fails the Hype

khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I played the beta up to LVL 20 in the last beta  and nothing about this game is innovative.

Graphics are not even as good as an old game such as Aion. They are actually bad when compared to newer games like Tera, FFXIV, ESO, Landmark and anything else considered a major MMO that I have tried or played in the last few years. They are not bad graphics, but nothing new to see and impress a player unless he has not played an MMO game in the last 5 years.

Combat is the most basic and boring in any MMO also in the last few years. I was using Occultism and all I did literally no joke was press 3,3,3,3,3,3. I beat every enemy that way and even can run and press 3,3,3, and shoot things out of my back and win with no skill or effort.  Tab target, no dodging, nothing new, just bad.

Labor Points make the game Pay to Win right now. As a free player you have a very limited amount of Labor Points. You need Labor points to do anything like gather, craft and pretty much anything important. If you Pay money, you get way more Labor points making you much more powerful, nothing else to say, paying money makes you a lot stronger, so it is a pay to win system. You cannot even get your quest rewards or loot you find without labor points, that disgusted me.

Class system seems interesting, you can mix 3 classes and take spells from each one, I liked that. However up to LVL 20 I used just 1 spell, so didn't see the benefits really. I can see how it will help in PVP and later on if the game ever makes me use more spells though.

Quest system is just the most basic, boring quests if any major MMO I have played. Every quest gave me something where I had to run no more than 20 feet away and click something or kill boring, easy enemies and run back and turn it in or run another 20 feet and turn it in. More basic and rudimentary than "kill 10 boars and come back to me" because in this game they point you to where every enemy is and its not far or difficult to do any quest.

There is nothing in this game from what I played to tell me it is better than any MMORPG out there, let alone one of the best how the hype led me to believe. Yes I know there is a lot more in the higher levels, but this game gives a terrible first impression to new players and will scare many away before they get to the level where thing supposedly open up and show the games depth.

So in the end this game was a big letdown and nothing close to the hype that was calling it a saviour to the MMORPG genre.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I think this game may not be for you.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Thanks for the review.

I agree with your conclusion after also playing in the beta, and I'm going to admit I was pretty surprised at how mediocre the game ended up being on all fronts. The graphics in particular were a surprise, considering most of these asian MMOs exist only as eye candy while they drain your wallet, but Archeage didn't even deliver on the eye candy.

Ah well, next.

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by khameleon

I played the beta up to LVL 20 in the last beta  and nothing about this game is innovative.

Graphics are not even as good as an old game such as Aion. They are actually bad when compared to newer games like Tera, FFXIV, ESO, Landmark and anything else considered a major MMO that I have tried or played in the last few years. They are not bad graphics, but nothing new to see and impress a player unless he has not played an MMO game in the last 5 years.

Combat is the most basic and boring in any MMO also in the last few years. I was using Occultism and all I did literally no joke was press 3,3,3,3,3,3. I beat every enemy that way and even can run and press 3,3,3, and shoot things out of my back and win with no skill or effort.  Tab target, no dodging, nothing new, just bad.

Labor Points make the game Pay to Win right now. As a free player you have a very limited amount of Labor Points. You need Labor points to do anything like gather, craft and pretty much anything important. If you Pay money, you get way more Labor points making you much more powerful, nothing else to say, paying money makes you a lot stronger, so it is a pay to win system. You cannot even get your quest rewards or loot you find without labor points, that disgusted me.

Class system seems interesting, you can mix 3 classes and take spells from each one, I liked that. However up to LVL 20 I used just 1 spell, so didn't see the benefits really. I can see how it will help in PVP and later on if the game ever makes me use more spells though.

Quest system is just the most basic, boring quests if any major MMO I have played. Every quest gave me something where I had to run no more than 20 feet away and click something or kill boring, easy enemies and run back and turn it in or run another 20 feet and turn it in. More basic and rudimentary than "kill 10 boars and come back to me" because in this game they point you to where every enemy is and its not far or difficult to do any quest.

There is nothing in this game from what I played to tell me it is better than any MMORPG out there, let alone one of the best how the hype led me to believe. Yes I know there is a lot more in the higher levels, but this game gives a terrible first impression to new players and will scare many away before they get to the level where thing supposedly open up and show the games depth.

So in the end this game was a big letdown and nothing close to the hype that was calling it a saviour to the MMORPG genre.

When crying P2W and asserting that real cash makes you much more powerful, why do you fail to highlight the fact that you can only use one LP potion from the cash shop every 12 hours?

Why do you fail to highlight the fact that even free players get online refen of their LP?

Why do you fail to highlight that you can pay in game gold to rest at a tavern once a day and regen 25% of your LP in one go?

It's hardly as bad as you portray it, is it?

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    So games need to be innovative now, or they aren't worth it? OK then...

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

This post is indicative of the gamer today.

Fact is this game is NOT p2w, as nothing can be bought that helps you 'win' you can have things in cash shop that will help you along the way, but win nope--

Simple fact is this sounds like another free player who is moaning because the players that want / can subscribe get better perks.. well boo-fucking-who, I would suggest that a nice game for you to play is farmville this will allow you the same perks as other freebies..

If you dont like the game, dont play it, but dont pretend that your opinions are fact.... as the post above me has pointed out you have failed .

The problem with a lot of posters on this forum (and yes maybe i am included in this) is that they suffer from what i call the "Rupert Murdoch" syndrome, In that they report THEIR OPINION as fact, and not look at all sides of the story yes the game has faults, yes the game isn't quite as polished as some other games.

But to say that the mechanics are broken because they wont work as well for someone that pays subs against free is just being a freeloader who expects everything to be given them for no / little work - almost like society in general... 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Sephros
    So games need to be innovative now, or they aren't worth it? OK then...

I have seen those innovate mmo's but i dint lasted more then 2 weeks before throwing in the towel and uninstall it.

Guildwars 2 / Elders Scroll Online 

Never again i will buy into these so called innovative mmo's that promise you a world of change and end up more boring then 10 year old  mmo's from ancient times.

OP go play something else man Archeage is not for you o/

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by DMKano

I played the beta up to LVL 20 in the last beta  and nothing about this game is innovative...

100% uneducated opinion.

It's fine to dislike a game but at least have basic understanding of the games systems.

You failed to mention a single unique aspect of ArcheAge and there are many.

I would say just about every weakness in AA that the OP brings up are things that we all saw in the betas, there is no denying the LP system is controversial, the graphics rather dated, the combat dull (do you deny that?) the questing a chore, and though the OP doesn't mention any of those innovations we are looking forward to, the issue is that you have to get past the dull stuff before you see it. Many of us are worried a lot of beta players won't give AA enough of a try as a result, and for some, such "unique" features still won't be enough given the flaws.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    thanks for trying it. Now you can go back to clicking through the latest interactive video book style MMO

I miss DAoC

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by zevni78

I played the beta up to LVL 20 in the last beta  and nothing about this game is innovative...

100% uneducated opinion.

It's fine to dislike a game but at least have basic understanding of the games systems.

I would say just about every weakness in AA that the OP brings up are things that we all saw in the betas, there is no denying the LP system is controversial, the graphics rather dated, the combat dull (do you deny that?) the questing a chore, and though the OP doesn't mention any of those innovations we are looking forward to, the issue is that you have to get past the dull stuff before you see it. Many of us are worried a lot of beta players won't give AA enough of a try as a result, and for some, such "unique" features still won't be enough given the flaws.

Again this is all your opinion.

I have a very different opinion

LP system is not controversial - it is new to western gamers and not yet understood, as someone who has played AA since Korean launch to me the LP system makes perfect sense

Graphics dated - not to me, I find them quite awesome

Combat dull - 100% disagree, AAs combat is deceptively complex in PvP

Questing - tutorial, no questing in later levels period

Again I understand someone hating ArcheAge - this is normal the game is not for everyone, no game is.

But passing off opinions as facts and not even having a good understanding of what you are disliking - that is a problem.

LP IS NOT ANYTHING NEW. It is similar to the Perfume system in Allods Online and it is the same P2W system. By that I mean, if you sub you get more LP and you can also buy one potion every 12 hours and use it - that is also P2W. I got my character to level 21 and found that I could not do much without the Labor Points and that is a travesty. I did not want to have my computer logged in  24 hrs a day, during the beta, just so I could max out the LP my character had.

The Graphics are decent but no great shakes. I was hoping that the armor, weapons had some diversity but I couldn't see it. Why? Because I didn't have enough gold or LP to actually be able to craft anything.

The glider while interesting is just MEH. I didn't find it very appealing or fun to use and I tried quite a bit. There are huge areas in this game that there are no mobs, no nothing. All are choked around the hubs of the game - that is similar to ESO. Landmark is a sandbox and it is also very hard to understand but at least you are in the sandbox from the beginning.

The tutorial is supposed to highlight the games systems. How does killing 5 rats, go here to NPC collect reward, move to next NPC a tutorial on the systems in the game? It is not. Call it what it is - basic grind elements. I can hear it now, "but at lvl 30 it all changes!!" I would prefer to see it earlier so it draws people in, not bores them silly. That is a huge flaw with this game as is the LH system.

I get you like this game, might even be considered a rabid FANBOI but there is nothing new or exciting about this game.

If you like it, have at it but don't expect many players to try it or enjoy it. It will be another niche game.

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230

There are so many things to do besides quest to level but the old I got to follow these quests around till I'm level 50 mentality is hard to break.

Did you know you can fish, do underwater farming, do trade runs to pirate island, do the Halcyona capture the fort War, all these things give exp and you do not have to be 50.  

Play in the sand stop with the mind numbing following one quest after another to 50.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Amen Jackdog.

Love the game. If you guys want to argue semantics, go ahead. I can't wait for the next beta.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by zevni78

100% uneducated opinion.

Again this is all your opinion.

I have a very different opinion

LP system is not controversial - it is new to western gamers and not yet understood, as someone who has played AA since Korean launch to me the LP system makes perfect sense

The controversy is an objective fact, just because you don't think it should be doesn't alter the reality that many are not happy with it.

Graphics dated - not to me, I find them quite awesome

As this is subjective then if people are un-impressed, then that is the reality for them, your position doesn't alter that for them, I was thinking the same as the OP, XIV, ESO and Landmark seem better integrated and more consistent.

Combat dull - 100% disagree, AAs combat is deceptively complex in PvP

This is another issue of the game only getting better at higher levels, we've seen this so many times with other mmos in the last 5 yrs, I think it is time devs got to work on better progression,

Questing - tutorial, no questing in later levels period

For the first 30 lvls, that is a looooooong ass tutorial.

Again I understand someone hating ArcheAge - this is normal the game is not for everyone, no game is.

But passing off opinions as facts and not even having a good understanding of what you are disliking - that is a problem.

The OPs lack of knowledge of later game mechanics reflects a design flaw in the game. And I will end with pointed out that a lot of your rebuttals where subjective, so do not lecture on opinions as facts, no one was claiming impressions were anything but.

Originally posted by Binafus

There are so many things to do besides quest to level but the old I got to follow these quests around till I'm level 50 mentality is hard to break.

Did you know you can fish, do underwater farming, do trade runs to pirate island, do the Halcyona capture the fort War, all these things give exp and you do not have to be 50.  

Play in the sand stop with the mind numbing following one quest after another to 50.

Fish? You need 100 gold for a license to fish. How could you fish then?

Underwater farming while holding your breath? OH, you need to craft something , like a rebreather, oh that takes LP.

People are talking about things that would be great if it weren't for the fact the LP system hobbles it all.

Sorry - this is a Sandpark that wants to be a sandbox but you still have to play by the rules and if you pay you win here.

I just want to say, I went in with an open mind to the beta, because I like to craft, etc. Sorry can't do that, not enough LP and you need LP to move on in quests also. Hobbled at every turn.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Binafus

Fish? You need 100 gold for a license to fish. How could you fish then?

Underwater farming while holding your breath? OH, you need to craft something , like a rebreather, oh that takes LP.

People are talking about things that would be great if it weren't for the fact the LP system hobbles it all.

Sorry - this is a Sandpark that wants to be a sandbox but you still have to play by the rules and if you pay you win here.

I just want to say, I went in with an open mind to the beta, because I like to craft, etc. Sorry can't do that, not enough LP and you need LP to move on in quests also. Hobbled at every turn.

AA is definitely not a good game if you are heavy into crafting or house ownership. It will force you to pull your wallet out quite frequently. I still can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a test run, but I'm going into it without hype thinking it will be okay at best. I may end up loving it.

I have found if I go in expecting a terrible game, they actually aren't too bad!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Months and months ago my son and I looked forward to this title. It looked like it had so much potential and now it looks like it's being pummeled by players. I will definitely wait on this one and see if the dents get kicked out. Usually I take any of what is said on this site with a huge grain of salt, but every other discussion is like this one.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I looked through the cash shop and I don't see anything that would be considered as Pay to Win. There are no items in the cash shop which are better than can what can be earned in the game itself. There are no items which are "instant win"-type items. There are definitely items that would reduce your time required to progress through the game, but nothing that would provide an advantage in the maximum level content. There are certainly items related to crafting, transportation, etc. available, but these are the sorts of items that people want to see in a cash shop. They don't want things like gear in a cash shop. Granted, it looks like the crafting "game" could be severely gimped due to the cash shop, that doesn't constitute P2W. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Granted, it looks like the crafting "game" could be severely gimped due to the cash shop, that doesn't constitute P2W. 

Umm.. if crafting is a big part of the game, and you can do it quicker by putting down real money, isn't that paying to win, at least in that aspect of the game?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

To everyone who does not like a game. Please It is okay to not like a game because of a view points. But please stop finnaly calling automaticly every game with a shop inside p2w. It makes everything you write instantly nonsense, since the first thought you get this guy is just a copy paste hater of some troll posts.

If a game is not p2w, you will not change the fact by spreading out myths all day long. ArchAge definitly has some items in its shop everyone whishes to have (besides you can buy them with gold from others), well so what, its something the developers use to generate money to pay their employees and servers.

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

So to recap;  Some players like this game, others don't.

Huh, go figure...

• DocbootDocboot Member UncommonPosts: 18

To get the best out of Archeage you need to get Patron!

I can imagine how frustrating it would be trying to get a free ride from this game and you will be missing out. The feeling alone for building your first boat from the materials you grew in your farm is worth a few $$.

I've not had as much fun since hunting baby Rancors and selling them in Corellia

The only thing I disagree with is the measly bag space and needing credits to expand them. Oh, and the lvl questing sucked but this game is not about questing.

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

Simply put, pay money get more labor points thus more everything = win. Get rid of the damn Facebook like point system that regen over time (and build faster again if you pay)  Thus it is "Pay to win"

Now, sure it might have the best items in the store for cash only, I honestly don't know as I did not look in the store itself, why? Because I was too busy actually testing out the game. I did learn that there was a mountain of things I could not do because I was not a patron (pay a sub)

Lets see oh yes I can hear it now "Blah blah free ride blahblah..." Nope, I fully expect to have to work at it longer as a free player. I do NOT expect half the major selling points of the game to be unavailable to me (but available to patrons) You want to cut the game in half or worse, make the 'free players' do a 15 level demo or something and lock them. You lock up all the cool innovative stuff behind a Patron Wall and you're going to get a lot of annoyed people who wont pay money for a Pay to Win game.

Isn't it funny though? Without the free play model, this would just be a normal subscription game and no one would be calling it Pay to Win :)

Originally posted by Docboot

To get the best out of Archeage you need to get Patron!

I can imagine how frustrating it would be trying to get a free ride from this game and you will be missing out. The feeling alone for building your first boat from the materials you grew in your farm is worth a few $$.

I've not had as much fun since hunting baby Rancors and selling them in Corellia

The only thing I disagree with is the measly bag space and needing credits to expand them. Oh, and the lvl questing sucked but this game is not about questing.

So make this game just a sub game.

Oh, you have to get patron and sub together? No way - sorry. That is like paying extra for content.

The issue is that this F2P game is anything but free.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Milander

Simply put, pay money get more labor points thus more everything = win. Get rid of the damn Facebook like point system that regen over time (and build faster again if you pay)  Thus it is "Pay to win"

Now, sure it might have the best items in the store for cash only, I honestly don't know as I did not look in the store itself, why? Because I was too busy actually testing out the game. I did learn that there was a mountain of things I could not do because I was not a patron (pay a sub)

Lets see oh yes I can hear it now "Blah blah free ride blahblah..." Nope, I fully expect to have to work at it longer as a free player. I do NOT expect half the major selling points of the game to be unavailable to me (but available to patrons) You want to cut the game in half or worse, make the 'free players' do a 15 level demo or something and lock them. You lock up all the cool innovative stuff behind a Patron Wall and you're going to get a lot of annoyed people who wont pay money for a Pay to Win game.

Isn't it funny though? Without the free play model, this would just be a normal subscription game and no one would be calling it Pay to Win :)

Who cares how people on the internet which mostly echo each other call something? The only thing you cannot do as a F2P player is owning real estate. And this is not for cashgrabs (at least not only) but mainly to not have everyone have 20+ F2P accounts with farms. Or would you like to have all available space in the hands of a few multiaccounters, namely botfarms?

All the rest of the game is open to you.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka

When crying P2W and asserting that real cash makes you much more powerful, why do you fail to highlight the fact that you can only use one LP potion from the cash shop every 12 hours?

Why do you fail to highlight the fact that even free players get online refen of their LP?

Why do you fail to highlight that you can pay in game gold to rest at a tavern once a day and regen 25% of your LP in one go?

It's hardly as bad as you portray it, is it?

Because by paying money you get a ton of Labor points already an even when you are offline you get them and players that do not pay get nothing offline and very few overall in comparison. That alone is enough to make it a huge difference in power between a paying and non-paying player, hence why i say it is pay to win.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• BoltharBolthar Member Posts: 62

Anyone notice how not a single ArcheAge LP system defender has come out and said "Yeah this is awesome, I love LPs and I can do anything I want in this game and it never affects me"? They instead belittle you for saying its a lame attempt at a brick wall system that the only way to circumvent is to pay (subscribe) , and then to circumvent it further pay even more (cash shop potion). Basically this is Farmville, Castleville, and all other villes on steroids. Do what you want but only within the time we have allotted you then you can only do a those things until your out of LP. This has similarly been around a long time in other forms usually something with leveling bonuses and its not a game stopper when you run out. Basically it is where you get "rested XP" and when you are out of rested XP you level slower. Its just that this is a game where it is now linked to a TON of activities from the mundane to the fun ones.

You guys who like LPs can have fun with your "pay us more just to do what you could in a non cash shopsub based game without this limiting factor" game. I'll find a game that isn't going to nickel and dime me when I want to do something or force me to have to choose what I am going to do with my "points" just to do a trivial activity.

This won't curb botting, it won't curb the economy for long, It may have some limiters in place but the biggest limiter is on the player experience. Other sinks should be in place that aren't globally noticed and not this system that they have in place.

If being in a sub took away the LP I would reconsider the stance but since it only gives you a boost I feel its rightly in line.