Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 of the Best Crafting Systems in MMOs

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I find it odd the author "thinks" that auto crafting in FE is legit or even a good thing.

We are SUPPOSE to be playing a RP game not an automated computer system even yes we are playing computer code we are not suppose to be RP a computer.

I don't think i have to explain what RP is do i and NO automated crafting is not it.You should have to at least "pretend" you are crafting the item and there is no way an item can craft itself,it is not even 1% plausible so imo a VERY lame idea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

From the Top 5 on this thread i only crafted in FFXIV and GW2. XIV has the best crafting IMO in all the existing mmos (note i said existing mmos, not shut down). As much as i love GW2 and i think its crafting system has a bunch of really cool features, the core crafting itself is traditional at best so i would personally put ESO in there instead.

MO was too bad to even bother trying crafting. Never got into SWG but the game was clunky so i thought it wasnt worth it. And Fallen Earth had a lot of potential down the drain, but i never tried crafting there so i dont know how good it is.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

To the guy who wrote this article have you actually played theses games or did you just google MMO's plus crafting. GW2 is one of the worst crating systems I have come across in 15 years of gaming when I can max a proffesion in less then 20 minutes and max all in a few hours( I wont go into the fact you can use this to max your character my record was just over 2hrs 1-80).

Were is EQ 2 and SWG and I never played Vangaurd but a mate always mentions there crafting in a good light.

All I can say is terrible top 5 list maybe shouldn't write anymore top 5/10 lists

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129
    SWG should be number 1 period...
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

No ESO or WoW?  I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but WoW's crafting system is good.  You actually use it a lot in the end game.  I spend more time making gems and enchants for guildmates than anything else it seems sometimes lol.  Just leveling it up in WoW is pretty bad, but they're fixing that.

ESO is all about crafting.  I think most people overlook it.  I have a character that can craft everything in the game, and even make things that drop better.  Without crafting you're good gear, with crafting you have great gear.  I spend most of my time in ESO crafting and always have people asking me to make or upgrade something.  i wish it was easier to get the legendary tempers, but that's half the fun as well.

My list: 

1) SWG

2) FFXIV

3) ESO

4) DAoC

5) WoW

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

I'm GW2 fan and crafting system in GW2 is a joke, please, remove from the list NAOW

My list (include game's in beta)

ArcheAge

EvE

Black Desert

SWG

Camelot Unchained

l2p

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

No EQ2 and Vanguard....

My top 5

1) vanguard

2) SWg

3) EQ2

4) ESO

5) GW2

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

SWG only in 2nd place, rated as a less robust crafting system than Final Fantasy online, laugh

I should at least be thankful that the kid writing the article was aware of a game called Star Wars Galaxies and had the respect to put it as #2 even though he's never played it.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Hey Admins! Is this poster going to get a warning for trolling because this is an obvious attempt at it. This is a shameful list if i do say so myself. Its so bad in fact, that one could assume it was made just for the soul purpose of inciting outrage with the community. I cant imagine a "Best of Crafting" list that does not contain games such as VG, Horizons, Ryzom or UO in it. This is a disgrace and David Jagneaux and MMORPG.com should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to pass.

"I know, I know; lot’s of games were left out of this list and you probably feel like they should have been included. Lots of people craft in games like Runescape, EVE Online obviously has a huge player-driven economy, and ArcheAge may be in beta still, but it clearly has a large and thriving crafting population. Those games, among others, were left out for a multitude of reasons, but suffice it to say that this list is far from exhaustive. Do you often find yourself crafting in MMOs? If so, which game did you find the most rewarding for your efforts?"

I would love to know the "MULTITUDE" of reasons were. Care to enlighten us as to what they are?

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

A crafting system that encourages player interaction plus meaningful crafted items. Those are my criteria for a good crafting system. Bonus points can be earned by "resources", is harvesting easy or are there rare materials? and "a true career", is crafting something on the side or can you put a lot of time in it and craft full-time? A mini-game is nice, but I do not mind a simple click and finish when the system is perfect on other points.

I do not see why GW2 has a place in the list. Maybe people like the RNG of the Mystic Toilet? True the best armor was crafted, but I do not see why a simple drag, beats everything else. Imo WoW was better when I played it (Vanilla and TBC). Crafters were in high demand. Not only enchanters, but also alchemists and most other crafts. In GW2 I never ask something from a crafter. Except when people needed the rare transmuted materials to make the top tier armor when it was added to the game.

I miss the following games, I know it was a top 5, but they could at least have been mentioned.

• Darkfall
    • World of Warcraft
    • Lord of the Rings
    • Vanguard
    • Everquest II
    • Ultima Online
    • Eve Online

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

C'mon, no EQ2? That is one of the only MMO's that has entire guilds dedicated to only crafting. Yes there are others with "Crafting Guilds" like Eve Online, but personally I've never heard of another. I played EQ2 for years and there were tons of people that would literally just log on to craft for hours and they would do that for years. They would have all crafting professions to max level, chat and craft. In fact there was this one lady everyone called her 'Mama'. She cooked food, that is all she did in game, gather and cook. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Horizons (Istaria) had one of the deepest and most complex crafting systems ever.   The fact that EVERY item in game had to be crafted, and EVERY recipe had to be found is what makes it unparalleled to me

Asheron's Call, while not a crafting system, the Tinkering system is the most creative and unique form of crafting of all time

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    although swg was my favorite, leaving Saga of Ryzom & EQ2 off the list seems wrong. I would even include AoW for the mini game aspect.
  • logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by SBFord
    I’ve never personally been a huge proponent of crafting in MMOs, but there is undoubtedly a certain type of players that loves the art of creation and trading. This list will focus on 5 games that have or had great crafting systems, but they may not be specifically focused on crafting as a primary and necessary mechanic.
    Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 of the Best Crafting Systems in MMOs.

Where did this list come from? I hope not the writer, since he says in his opening paragraph that he's not a huge proponent of crafting in mmos.

Anyway, my personal top 5 (in no particular order)

Vanguard
    FFXIV
    SWG
    Ryzom
    UO

I agree Vanguard would be my #1 crafting system. It was time consuming but fun and rewarding.

I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

The best would be SWG followed by Fallen Earth.

If you never played Fallen Earth, then you cannot appreciate the awesomeness of the crafting system.  I mean, hello, you can build motorcycles!  You want to use guns? Craft your own ammo....

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Hey Admins! Is this poster going to get a warning for trolling because this is an obvious attempt at it. This is a shameful list if i do say so myself. Its so bad in fact, that one could assume it was made just for the soul purpose of inciting outrage with the community. I cant imagine a "Best of Crafting" list that does not contain games such as VG, Horizons, Ryzom or UO in it. This is a disgrace and David Jagneaux and MMORPG.com should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to pass. 

I agree! The first thing I thought was this article is to incite the masses which seems to be a popular way to write these days.

Crafting to just craft is a waste of time in my book. If the end product is the same as the rest of the items on the market why bother.  That is what puts SWG so far ahead of the rest on this list it's not even close.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Came to see a bunch of angry Uncle Owens. Was not disappointed.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by justinsalesart
    Came to see a bunch of angry Uncle Owens. Was not disappointed.

Same.  lol

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    no lotro :( 

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

Eve Online 

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

SWG / Archeage

|

|

|

|

|

|

Rest of the bunch

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

So you're saying the best crafting systems ever?

SWG doesn't exist anymore, so... ya. 

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Montaronx
    Lol no everquest2? That one has the deepest and most meanfull crafting system . Especially the stuff you can make for house/guildhall

Id have to agree. IMO EQ2 is easily one of the top crafting systems around. It also features a "mini-game" that plays out in the combine process and a separate class/level/reward/questing system for crafters. There is also a built-in "commissioning" system that allows players to securely request and even watch the crafter complete (or fail) an assignment.

The crafting system in GW2 is a fairly simple grind of collect and combine. I do like how they profile your collection separately for easy reference but there is little else that sets GW2 apart. (edit) Please allow me to emphasize the GRIND reference.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I would have put EQ2 in place of GW2 and SWG would have been #1 by far.
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    This list is terrible in my opinion.. So many other games beat everything on this list EXCEPT SWG. SWG was #1 IMO. But really, if someone is going to publish an article like this, they really need to have actually played more games than the mainstream. Ugh...GW2 crafting is utter crap. This is why no one can take MMORPG articles seriously. Suprised the author did not list WOW as #1...

~I am Many~

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by aslan132

No one-click crafting system should ever be included in a "Top" list for crafting. Author needs to get out more and expand his horizons or at least knowledge on what "crafting systems" are offered in the genre.

+1