Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching Again.

AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Must haves:

1. PvP - instanced or open world or both. 

2. A healthy player base

Would love it to have:

1. A fantasy setting 

2. Housing - instanced or otherwise

3. Some element of roleplay

Deal-breakers:

1. Cash-shop dependent

Played and Loved:

UO (stopped at WoW's release)

DaoC (played in between UO breaks)

WoW (I just can't anymore) 

Wildstar's Trial (the sci-fi isn't my favorite but I liked enough about it to let that go. I can live w/o being some elf.) 

FF14 (just started the trial - so. much. talking. Certainly haven't played long enough to formulate an opinion.

Thank you in advance. :) 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Comments

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

LOTRO maybe. The Cash shop currency can be farmed in game and doesnt really have anything worthwhile besides quests and expansions.

It has personal and Kin housing.

Cant remember which server but I switched servers and had a ball playing with tons of players. 

Its Tolkien so its the bases of all things fantasy.

The PVP is only max lvl which kinda sucks as well as having to group up unlike other MMOs.

Roleplay is probably the highest in this game than any other MMORPG out there.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I would say LotRO or DDO, but both aren't exactly known for their PvP...

Maybe give ArcheAge a try the first chance you get? It seems to have the combination of features you're looking for (Fantasy setting with PvP and housing).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Any thoughts on FF14?

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Anslem
    Any thoughts on FF14?

I haven't played it beyond the first free month, so I can't say much about it.

Except that all the talking is likely to continue lol, since it's a story heavy MMO. No experience with the housing or whether it's in yet (last I heard guild housing was going to be added before individual housing, but I'm not sure whether either's in game atm).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Tenebrys22Tenebrys22 Member UncommonPosts: 31

While I really liked Lotro and currently love ff14, I wouldnt recommend either of them for someone looking for pvp. FF14 is an amazing game if you want great pve and a good rpg experience and then maybe some pvp spiced on top at the end if youre into it.

Edit: I also wouldnt recommend DDO. Archage and Wildstar may be more your thing if you want pvp and housing. Although if youre sick of wow you may get sick of wildstar fast.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Rift

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Any thoughts on FF14?

There is no open world pvp. There are arenas and an instanced battleground: alterac valley size, arathi basin style, but with three factions and some spawning mobs.

There is guild housing right now. It is an instanced neighborhood of 30 houses. Its not hard to start your own guild and get your own house. I did it with 3 people and we got our house in about 3 months. Players get their own room, there are chocobo stables, crafting stations, instruments, gardens, vendors, etc. Very good housing imho. Personal player housing is said to be coming soon.

Crafting is the best on the market right now. Economy is a blast to play because of the multi component style to crafting and that almost every aspect of the game has tie-ins to crafting and gathering. Just about every item you can make has some use somewhere and is worth something to someone haha. Thats the best way I can describe it. You can make hundreds of various items and they all go towards something useful.

Same with gathering. Dedicated classes for crafting and gathering (and fishing), which all have their own abilities, stats, gear, resource pool, even questlines.

Let me put it this way: I dont do quests anymore. I dont do dungeons, or raids, or hunts, or treasures...in fact I rarely do any combat at all unless Im in the mood for a fate or want to do some spirit bonding. And with that said, I have more variety of content than I can accomplish in a regular 2-4 hour gaming session.

Community is fantastic. The devs put out pathces every three months and they are practically expansion sized. Playerbase is dedicated and pretty big. More than SE needs to keep the game going on the subscription model. The devs are already working on assets for content that they have planned 4 years from now.

Future is very bright for this one. If you want to feel like you are putting your money towards something that has a clear vision and will be around for a while, it doesnt get any better than FFXIV.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Any thoughts on FF14?

There is no open world pvp. There are arenas and an instanced battleground: alterac valley size, arathi basin style, but with three factions and some spawning mobs.

There is guild housing right now. It is an instanced neighborhood of 30 houses. Its not hard to start your own guild and get your own house. I did it with 3 people and we got our house in about 3 months. Players get their own room, there are chocobo stables, crafting stations, instruments, gardens, vendors, etc. Very good housing imho. Personal player housing is said to be coming soon.

Crafting is the best on the market right now. Economy is a blast to play because of the multi component style to crafting and that almost every aspect of the game has tie-ins to crafting and gathering. Just about every item you can make has some use somewhere and is worth something to someone haha. Thats the best way I can describe it. You can make hundreds of various items and they all go towards something useful.

Same with gathering. Dedicated classes for crafting and gathering (and fishing), which all have their own abilities, stats, gear, resource pool, even questlines.

Let me put it this way: I dont do quests anymore. I dont do dungeons, or raids, or hunts, or treasures...in fact I rarely do any combat at all unless Im in the mood for a fate or want to do some spirit bonding. And with that said, I have more variety of content than I can accomplish in a regular 2-4 hour gaming session.

Community is fantastic. The devs put out pathces every three months and they are practically expansion sized. Playerbase is dedicated and pretty big. More than SE needs to keep the game going on the subscription model. The devs are already working on assets for content that they have planned 4 years from now.

Future is very bright for this one. If you want to feel like you are putting your money towards something that has a clear vision and will be around for a while, it doesnt get any better than FFXIV.

Thank you so much! Sent you a PM with a few questions. :)

Originally posted by snoocky
    Rift

Installing this now. :)  The soul system looks pretty cool.  How's the economy? Thanks! :)

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    You should try Darkfall Unholy Wars. One of the best sandbox PvP games currently on the market.
  • RaybargRaybarg Member Posts: 8

If you really loved Ultima Online, then think about MMO Sandbox game where you can build your house anywhere and by choosing it could be in PvE or PvP environment. And no 700 skillcap. Similar percentage system from 1 to 100 but no limits how much points you can grind up.

Thats Wurm Online; http://www.wurmonline.com/

Trailer; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_kRVR5zqI

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Rift has a healthy economy and playerbase but it somewhat depends on which shard. Fortunately, shard transfers are free once you are level 15.

Rift has the best housing model I've seen in an mmo today, called Dimensions. Not only can you decorate (like lots of other games), but you can choose from a couple dozen different settings and build whatever you like from scratch. Build a house, build a boat, build Batman's cave and Wayne Manor! Building is a time and gold sink but you'll get your first dimension free about level 7, along with some basic materials and an intro to how it works. Even at level 1, you can tour dimensions on the Public All-Time and Weekly listings through the Dimension UI.

Have fun. :)