Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR future - rumors

Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Just read this on SWTOR forum - rumor too good to be true? Or there is something in it... At least we can have some fun spaculating.....

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=755192

Here is a sourse:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/07/swtor-sequel-possibly-canon.html

Highlights:

Gameplay/Marketing:

• The story of the game is expected to go on for another three and half years, though servers are still expected to stay up as long as the game has an active audience. Focus will gradually shift to the sequel (which is already in early development) as time goes on. In the meantime, funding for the game is expected to go up once following the new expansion, and continue to stay at a higher rate.
  • A “New Game Plus” feature will be added to The Old Republic once the story has been completed. The mode will tweak the leveling function and alter the experience of early planets. Certain characters introduced later in the story will appear earlier in the campaign if certain requirements are met. An abundance of items that will make certain aspects of gameplay less repetitive are to be added.
  • A console port of the game will eventually hit the market.
  • The Togruta species will join the list of playable races, along with “some ugly thing” that the writer didn’t recognize.
  • Same-sex romantic options will be implemented into the game.
  • Cross-faction cooperation can occur on some planets, usually justified by story reasons.
  • An engine-revamp will occur over time through the expansions. Controls will be slightly modified in the process.
  • The “Sith Inquisitor” class/character will return for the sequel.
  • The Frostbite Engine 3 – which publisher Electronic Arts is using for several of its titles (including Star Wars Battlefront) – will be used for the sequel.
  • Player characters from The Old Republic will reappear in the sequel; that is to say, a player’s character from the original game will appear in the specific story arc of the player’s new character in the next game (albeit in the form of Holocron messages or something to that effect). A similar feature was included in the sequels to BioWare’s Mass Effect, where moral choices from previous installments would carry over in the sequels.

Story:

• The forthcoming Galactic Stronghold expansion will have ties to (you guessed it) Episode VII, and that a plot-important planet from the movie will make their way into the game. Presumably, said planet will also be important in-story. The primary antagonist of the game, the Sith Emperor Vitiate, will also be an influential figure to the antagonist of the Episode VII, although he may not be mentioned by name.
  • The “Forged Alliances” quest will feature a plot point that will be crucial to the ending of the overarching story arc of the game.
  • The story arcs of player characters will (of course) be continued and concluded with the coming expansions.
  • The final arc of the story will revolve around Vitiate’s power being completely restored, and all eight of the classes (Sith included) play some part in defeating him once and for all. The story will end with a cataclysm that shakes the foundations of both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire, setting the stage for the sequel.

Again, keep in mind that this is all of this is still just coming from a rumor, albeit a very extensive and detailed one.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Comments

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Actually sounds really good. Too bad I can't play cause I refuse to call america to get my account back. Though if they get proper online support I might give it a go again.
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Very interesting.  Hopefully the information is valid.  If so, I may have to make a return.
  • funconnfunconn Member Posts: 8
    So the story will skip the Vader/Skywalker era? It is going to be as the new SW movie?
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Hmm, a console port... If you think about that for a second it hurts the validity of those rumors. SWtOR combat isnt based around the 4-5 action buttons then flipping "bars", like GW2 and ESO console setup.

I would guess its doable, but I dont think it would be a good experience for a controller player. Which means one of two things, well really three.

One, its a false rumor.

Two, it will be its own SWtOR MMO.

Or three, they will have to change the fundamentals of keyboard combat to suit the limitations of hand held controllers.

About the tie ins. Umm maybe, kinda hard to do because the new episodes take place far in the future of the game. But I guess it could work. Stuff like ships and locations maybe even people are an easy shoe-in. Story would be a little tougher.

But Disney did say they are not just making three Star Wars movies. They will be making the three trilogy movies and at least two or more movies based in the Star Wars universe.

Which I highly doubt Disney will make a movie based on or around a video game. But from a marketing standpoint, if we're lucky, we might get some crossover stuff.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    not sure if i like the whole end date thing..  but if they do make a sequel they better have more interesting class choices and none of that action combat  thingy that seems to be all the rage now.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Hokie

Hmm, a console port... If you think about that for a second it hurts the validity of those rumors. SWtOR combat isnt based around the 4-5 action buttons then flipping "bars", like GW2 and ESO console setup.

I would guess its doable, but I dont think it would be a good experience for a controller player. Which means one of two things, well really three.

One, its a false rumor.

Or three, they will have to change the fundamentals of keyboard combat to suit the limitations of hand held controllers.

FFXIV managed to do it  without going the whole limited action bars route so i suppose swtor could aswell.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

For me it was the following that completely shutdown any credit I might have given the rumors

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

• Player characters from The Old Republic will reappear in the sequel; that is to say, a player’s character from the original game will appear in the specific story arc of the player’s new character in the next game (albeit in the form of Holocron messages or something to that effect). A similar feature was included in the sequels to BioWare’s Mass Effect, where moral choices from previous installments would carry over in the sequels.

Bioware doesn't even do that for Dragon Age, with the Warden and Hawke, why on Earth would they go through all the effort for a game that's much more story "lite" than the average Bioware title?

Some of the other things are pretty outrageous too. The whole list just screams "daydreaming fan" rather than actual developer plans. (That NG+ for example would definitely be on my list of wanted features too)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by hallucigenocide

One, its a false rumor.

FFXIV managed to do it  without going the whole limited action bars route so i suppose swtor could aswell.

Yeah its doable, but I was trying to remember on my Sorc how many buttons I used and it was quit a few.

I'd say I was at about 8-10 combat buttons, 4-5 healing/debuff buttons, and like 2 "health pot" buttons, plus if I remember she was a cybertech and had like 3-4 buttons for grenades/mines.

Thats kinda hard to port over to a console controller. Which is why in my opinion option "two" is most likely.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

One, its a false rumor.

Yeah its doable, but I was trying to remember on my Sorc how many buttons I used and it was quit a few.

I'd say I was at about 8-10 combat buttons, 4-5 healing/debuff buttons, and like 2 "health pot" buttons, plus if I remember she was a cybertech and had like 3-4 buttons for grenades/mines.

Thats kinda hard to port over to a console controller. Which is why in my opinion option "two" is most likely.

Unless they are going to re-vamp all skill system.

Hypotetically at the end of the active life of the game - 3 to 3.5 years - they might go for simplistic combat style on consoles  and include game in EA Access sub /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

With the coming SW movies interest in the IP is expected to rise to new heights, but SW TOR 2 in the next 4 years? I don't think so. The game has come a long way and is doing very well at the moment with great potential. 

- expanding the class stories

- New Races

- 2 new classes

- further evolving of the housing feature

- swoop racing & pazaak

The above would bring the game on a whole new level and cost way less than developing a new one.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196

I'd say the console port and engine re-vamp hurt the credibility of these rumors. MMO's tend to struggle a bit with their console ports with maybe the exception of FFXIV. I think an engine re-vamp is also an equally unlikely change and would be hard to execute.

Just my 2 cents.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I could see the upgrade to canon and a tie-in with the new film.

However, a sequel already?? It's only been 3 years which isn't exactly that long for an MMO and it's only just coming up to speed again.

Then again, if they're going to release that new SW MMO after 3.5 years, it would bring the total lifespan up to 6.5 years, which is more reasonable.

A direct sequel to this game seems unlikely to me however, the game is pretty active right now but seeing that it went through some really tough times at the start, it wouldn't be a very likely marketing strategy.

Console ports seem very unlikely too, unless they completely redo the core gameplay.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

One, its a false rumor.

Hypotetically at the end of the active life of the game - 3 to 3.5 years - they might go for simplistic combat style on consoles  and include game in EA Access sub /grin

Yeah could happen. I mean they did it once before with SWG, simplified everything, and that was a raging success.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

One, its a false rumor.

Yeah could happen. I mean they did it once before with SWG, simplified everything, and that was a raging success.

Well considering I play and have played SWTOR with a 360 controller since early access , then swtor could easily be on consoles. I have 40 skills ready to use on my controller and never ever felt hindered or limited. Mind you do you all realise these rumour's appeared on reddit about 2 oe 3 weeks ago. I don't actually believe it at all but It could be true we shall see.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

This is a pretty old rumor that was first widely seen on reddit/r/swtor.

It was heavily debunked; mainly cause Disney licenses were factually wrong.

Also, SWTOR made like 200 Million last year. No point in killing that off for a sequel.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Seems unlikely with all the replies stating the obvious reasons but also makes total sense.

Disney knows it now owns one the biggest IPs in the industry.  They have made it very very clear that there is going to be a lot of new Star Wars stuff. They have already hired top notch people (including the original stars) for the new films, have ditched projects they didn't feel were working (Clone Wars TV Show) as well as shutting LA Games and deciding to redefine the canon.  They are going to milk the hell out of this IP simply because they can.

Disney is not the Disney I grew up with. They now hold a catalogue of some of the biggest stuff out there (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar).   It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they decided to splurge some money on an MMO reboot much like they have been doing with the rest of the franchise.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Seems like NONE of those address the core issues of the game. The fact that the story is only half decent and there's nothing to do once its done.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Seems like NONE of those address the core issues of the game. The fact that the story is only half decent and there's nothing to do once its done.

It could be all or mostly false. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

The life of the game itself depends on how log Disney will be licensing the IP.  Disney clearly said they're not interested for the moment in licensing IP not related to the new movies.  My guess is when current contract expires and new movies are out, then bye bye.

Adding content in terms of flashpoints, operations,  warzones, quest hubs is one thing.  But adding new story with their voices is another.  The long term survival of the game depends on Disney.

They happily signed a 10 year deal with EA and I'm sure will resign once it's up. Disney doesn't make these kinds of games and doesn't care about them. The whole non-canon stuff was just to free them from the lore to do what they want in the movies and any future TV shows they make. It had nothing to do with this or any game.

And as for Disney making bad or kid movies....I take you haven't watched any of the marvel movies in the last...10 years ? They own that too. Guardians of the galaxy is probably one of the best movies I've seen in years. If Disney can do that with Star wars I wont complain.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    I could see another Star Wars mmorpg being in the works, and some sort of plan in place to encourage players to move over, but it wouldn't be Old Republic based.  With the suggested development timeline, episode 7 would be out and Disney would be ramping up for episode 8 and one of the side movies.  That would present a perfect opportunity to push out an mmorpg to exploit the post episode 7 universe excitement.
  • burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    My 2 cents is that they Will have a new mmo (The new republic?) and set in The episode vii era, but that it should run concurrently with swtor (think everquest and everquest ii was set 500 years in The future!
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

The life of the game itself depends on how log Disney will be licensing the IP.  Disney clearly said they're not interested for the moment in licensing IP not related to the new movies.  My guess is when current contract expires and new movies are out, then bye bye.

Adding content in terms of flashpoints, operations,  warzones, quest hubs is one thing.  But adding new story with their voices is another.  The long term survival of the game depends on Disney.

They happily signed a 10 year deal with EA and I'm sure will resign once it's up. Disney doesn't make these kinds of games and doesn't care about them. The whole non-canon stuff was just to free them from the lore to do what they want in the movies and any future TV shows they make. It had nothing to do with this or any game.

And as for Disney making bad or kid movies....I take you haven't watched any of the marvel movies in the last...10 years ? They own that too. Guardians of the galaxy is probably one of the best movies I've seen in years. If Disney can do that with Star wars I wont complain.

Yep, I suspect that  deal will get renewed in... 8-9 years from now? It's gonna be a loooong wait for all the EA haters out there, only to wind up disappointed when the contract gets renewed.

I agree with Gorwe's post too about the things the game needs. Fortunately it seems they're adding more and more of them over time. Here's to hoping that sometime next year we'll see Swoop/Pod racing, Pazaak and maybe some other mini-games.

And of course a lot more story. (Hopefully involving our companions again!)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I'd like this to be true.  The game does need a revamp especially in terms of the engine.  Perhaps a sequel is the best bet.  Start from scratch, make the game more immersive, less tunneled planet zones and more wide, vast and "real" planets, more akin to SWG.  Maybe some other sandboxy elements.  Ok, now my hopes are getting up and it's way too early for this, stupid rumor mongers lol.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Sounds pretty far fetched to me and nothing reliable as a source.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Sounds too good to be true. Its almost a complete wish list.

Also, so only 1 person in this topic has played FF14 on console? Really? Everyone saying that a console port would not be possible needs to check the facts.

Exhibit b: "Sequel"-since when do MMOs have sequels? Wouldn't that be the confirmation that tor wasn't supposed to be an MMO?
    LOL Ever hear of Everquest 2?