Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Interview with Tasos Flambouras

People have been waiting to hear more out of Adventurine SA (formerly Razorwax AS). Today we have it as Tasos Flabouras goes in-depth on their upcoming MMORPG Darkfall, known for its PvP-bent.

image MMORPG.com: For those who do enjoy PvP, can you explain the reasons why PvP in Darkfall will be something new and exciting for them?

Tasos Flambouras: More than any other game before it, Darkfall brings the fantasy battlefield to blood-splattering, neck-chopping life:

Spell explosions blow you away from the battle line with kinetic force; blood splatters on your armor as the ditch-bound head of a decapitated foe rolls past; smoke from fireball bursts reduce vision temporarily until the wind carries it away; warhorses kick savagely and opponents physically block your progress as you race to execute a wound-stunned enemy before their healers get to him; thundering hooves signal victory as your cavalry arrives just in time to turn the tide of battle.

MMOG combat has tended towards the boringly static, with players deducting hit points from each other while micromanaging their characters. In Darkfall, however, combat is as unpredictable, visceral, action-packed and intense as medieval fantasy combat can be.  

You can read his whole interview here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

first

• Alec_FriseAlec_Frise Member Posts: 15

My dream game ::::08::
    Can't wait ::::34::

• sundaysoulboysundaysoulboy Member Posts: 30

Initially i was put off by the clunky looking graphics and basic looking low poly environment... but after reading the artical i'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

My only concern with the skill system is that although it offers freedom, as soon as players discover the most effective skills and combinations (which won't take long for a hardcore pvp gamer), there will be one or two cookie cutter builds that own all and everyone will follow them.

Waiting For;
    Aion
    Warhammer Online
    Darkfall
    Project Offset

• SheilinaSheilina Member Posts: 36

Not if you have around 500 different skills to chose from imo..
    At least that is the amount the devs have been mentioning.

• MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147

IF this game delivers what the developers promise it will be absolutely amazing.  I am kind of skeptical but I think they might actually pull it off.  Time will tell I guess.  They certainly have alot of great ideas.  I just hope it does not turn into another Mourning which was nothing but alot of big empty promises.  Thankfully I never wasted my money on Mourning.

• bstrippbstripp Member Posts: 241

I have been watching this game and hope that it will be what Shadowbane should have been. We shall see. The interview was filled with a lot of developer speak and the game has been delayed a long time. However, unlike a lot of other games, this one seems to have the combination of features that I have been looking for...

• speedy2speedy2 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Malakai

IF this game delivers what the developers promise it will be absolutely amazing. 

Definitely. If this game delivers 90% of what it promises it will be the best fantasy MMORPG out there. I guess that the long development cycle is probably a good sign too that they're putting the work in to get it right rather than just rushing it out the door and hoping for the best.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I am just to lazy at this point to pull up an old dev interview that just emphises exactly what has just been said. When I see it I will put my foot in my mouth. Till then, it's vaporware. Nothing said here is new from the past 3 years of the same Q&A's done over and over and over and over.

I hope that this game proves me wrong and for once I will be wrong about a title, but this title has followed to closly to others with the same history , it's hard to get past it.

Please devs, make me eat my words and suprise me and the rest of the doubters and bring this game out as you said it would be 3 years ago.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• ShawkShawk Member Posts: 122

Been watching the game for 5 years now.. This is by far going to be the best Pvp/mmorpg game ever made.

This game is going to put other so called mmorpg's to shame.

• knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Good interview renewed my faith in the game. Now if only open beta would start soon. I'm just glad it doesn't feel as if it could be vaporware anymore leaves you wondering when there are little to no announcements for months on end, but honestly can you blame people when they've allready waited 5 years.
  • HawkwindeHawkwinde Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Whatever happened to the Clan Beta? We submitted a group for it 4-5 months ago but nothing ever came of it. Their forum board went dorman for several months. Now it has a bit of activity but no target dates for anything. Anyone know anything solid about this game?
  • sundaysoulboysundaysoulboy Member Posts: 30

You have to admit though, the graphics look absolute shite! image Check out the duff textures, the spiky foliage and chunky character models!

Gameplay and performance is more important but if i'm going to play a game for a year or so i need eye candy too...

Aesthetics are important and if they are going to win over any of the wow pvp communiy they have a LOT of work to do (cuz lets face it, if they manage to do that they will be made). As the graphics stand the content and gameplay will have to be the best ever seen bar NONE or the only people playing this game after the 1 month free will be die hards and fan boys...

Good luck devs! I really hope you can deliver. image

Waiting For;
    Aion
    Warhammer Online
    Darkfall
    Project Offset

[quote]Originally posted by Muffdiver
    [b]You have to admit though, the graphics look absolute shite! image Check out the duff textures, the spiky foliage and chunky character models! [/quote]

Compared to what? Guild Wars? EVE? I couldn't disagree more.

a) Don't compare it to any other game out there. Because no MMORPG so far has FPS and full pvp at all times. I don't think I have to tell you that sucess in FPS and PVP both stand and fall with how much you lag. Textures have a big influence on that (among other things of course). Besides they always stated that it should be possible to play on an average machine without fighting a powerpoint presentation.

b) Most Screenshots that get posted before the release of a game are manipulated anyway. Placed models in environments and then we think it actually looks like that in game.

c) A lot of games nowadays have instances and are not one big dynamic zone. (GW). Of course those graphics are much better because they only have around 6 to 12 players in one zone at any given time.
    Or like Eve - if you are in space you don't have a lot of background textures that need to be loaded while the game is moving. Unlike a whole dynamic world on the ground with weather effects/cycles.

d) They stated that those are stills taken right out of the game without any manipulation. So my bet is that the game in movement looks even better. Normally it's the other way round. Shiny screenshots and stinky in game graphics.

e) I think they also said a while ago that they haven't even started finetuning and adjusting the in game effects and graphics yet.

The core point for this game is smooth running on all machines. It's basically what will decide it's fate too.

But of course - if you only play for the nice scenery then *shrug*.
    After playing EQ2 I just realized that graphics couldn't be less important. Heck the first DAoC release had terrible graphics but the gameplay was ok for their time. I loved playing it and besides I totally hated WoW's graphic..I still tried it though and got bored because of gameplay and not because I didn't like the graphics.

Just my 5cp

• knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I don't mind the graphics that much honestly. They're kind of unique looking actually. Most modern mmo's have gone with the approach of lighting, shadows, and polygons equals good graphics. Darkfalls graphics have a certain realism that other games are lacking they look very rustic and dull which in alot of ways is most realistic than just eyecandy galore. The textures on the bone armor in there new screenshots for example I thought looked great you don't see stuff like that in the games out today. I'm glad they've gone with a more simplistic but realistic approach to things. UO for example obviously isn't graphically a good game by todays standards but if you look at the diversity of it the game even today holds it's own. Custom dyes, clothing, and armor. Things like when you hit a player you'd see a little blood splatter or when you chopped up a body it would leave a pile of blood, guts, and bones, also when a body decayed it would leave a pile of bones laying around for awhile. Then they're were things like how it would snow every once in awhile. Also stuff like how it would turn from day to night and when you'd enter a cave it would be dark until you casted night sight. All of that sorta stuff added to the game and I'm glad Darkfall seemingly has picked up on it. In games like EQ2, WoW, Lineage 2, ect... everyone ends up looking the same more or less in darkfall hopefully that won't  end up being the case.
  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    I may have to lift my ban on mmorpgs to try this game.  This *sounds* amazing, however, so did so many others that did not implement said promised features at launch.  Pure PvP sounds good to me!
  • djorgendjorgen Member Posts: 15

The crafting and resource-gathering in Darkfall seems like a mix of WoW and SWG.

The skill-based system also sounds like SWG.

Hmm.. But the graphics has been tuned *down* since last time I saw this game. I guess it's been done to get rid of lag, and let thousands of players play togheter on the same server (cluster).

• dark-merlindark-merlin Member Posts: 314

I think for a PRE BETA the screenshots look unbelievable (alas im a fanboy). Very pleased with the interview, and yes DF will bring to one game alot of good ideeas from many games (SWG resource gathering, UO full pvp full loot, AC twich combat, shadowbane building and destorying cities etc)

if they pull it off it will be great.

Dark-Merlin

• phennexionphennexion Member Posts: 63

If you ask me, it's anothe cookie cutter BS MMORPG. The interview was nothing but smoke and mirrors IMHO.

Q - "You said craftings going to be creative innovative blahlbahlbhalbh! Explain!"
    A - "Well yes, not only do you have to walk 100 miles to find mining spots which is common in every other mmorpg, but once you get there you'll be ganked by a clan of morons, and its legal!"

Q - " You say combats going to be innovative creative blahablhbalahblhbal"
    A - " Well yes, not only do you do the same bullshit point and click, but you get to knock heads off, and get blood spatters! Theres innovation people!"

I think the MMORPG's full of shit, Just like Dark and Light. I hope they proove me wrong.

• dark-merlindark-merlin Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by phennexion

If you ask me, it's anothe cookie cutter BS MMORPG. The interview was nothing but smoke and mirrors IMHO.
    Q - "You said craftings going to be creative innovative blahlbahlbhalbh! Explain!"
    A - "Well yes, not only do you have to walk 100 miles to find mining spots which is common in every other mmorpg, but once you get there you'll be ganked by a clan of morons, and its legal!"

A - " Well yes, not only do you do the same bullshit point and click, but you get to knock heads off, and get blood spatters! Theres innovation people!"

I think the MMORPG's full of shit, Just like Dark and Light. I hope they proove me wrong.

lol man where did you crawl up from. A skill based no classes teritorry owned land, naval battles, full loot, full pvp etc. That is not cookie cutter. As far as possible even

about combat, its FPS combat, it is inovative for a PVP MMORPG. your post was full of bad ideeas, wtf do you mean point and click, of course it is point and click since its on a computer, wtf did you want a virtual chip embedded in your memory so you could just think to move ingame?

leave MMORPGS-not for you

lol man where did you crawl up from

heh damn - I was not fast enough..I was actually going to ask what the hell he is smoking...

• swordsbaneswordsbane Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by phennexion

Guess you haven't been paying attention to the game during it's development.

The sad thing about Darkfall is that it doesn't even have to be a good game to beat every other game out there.  I've been waiting for a game even sort of like DF for a LONG time, longer than most of you have been playing these kinds of games.  The players, not the devs are a games deadliest enemies.  I would like to believe that an rpg can have elements of all kinds of gamers without catering to any one kind.  There is only one type of player I cannot tolerate; muggers.  Those that kill other players because they are there.  They don't do it for money, skill, fame or even under contract.  They do it because they like to and the rules allow it and they pick other players that they are sure can't defeat them  I've never understood them, and I probably never will, but they seem to congregate in PvP games Shadowbane is full of them.  They aren't looking for an rpg.  They're looking for a deathmatch fps.  Every other type of player I've encountered can be reasoned with, but these.....  There is nothing constructive they bring to a game, and undermine almost every aspect of it.  Until we get rid of this type of gamer, every game has the potential to be destroyed in spite of how good it is, even DF.  They are the worst part of gaming.

I know enough about DF to know it is a GOOD GAME, and if it dies, it will be because of what the players do to it, not the devs (assuming this turkey even makes it to retail) .  Even the devs understand that and hope to mitigate the real degenerates with a decent alignment system.  I hope it works.  Cautious optimism best describes my feelings on the matter.  If it isn't buggy or laggy at launch, it will do okay.  If it is half of the things that it claims to be, it will do very well along side the current crop of mmorpgs.  After that..... it depends on the crowd it attracts.  It's an rpg.  It's skill based and you can apparently do anything you want to.  This means it will attract ever kind of gamer out there, including the bad ones.  Let's hope us players learn from all those other games as much as the devs seem to have learned.

^
    very true

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Everything sounds very good and looks decent with that tinge of: "this is the best game ever !".

But of course, what else can be expected, their not going to come out say.

"Yup well after 5+ years of developement, bascially our game sucks but we're going to push through anyways because we know at least a few people will show up in the end." 

But anyways, like everything else and especially with Darkfall, I'll wait untill I see something substantial and concrete to start getting excited over, till then it's like all the others.

• Blood_HawkBlood_Hawk Member Posts: 86

I like the design plans for the large-scale battles and whatnot, but I can't stand those open skill systems. If it's anything like Morrowind where you can create super characters by putting together different skills that should normally offset each other, but don't because the devs are too afraid to limit a player's abilities then I have to say it just doesn't work. Classes while argued as being restrictive are usually, at the very least, logical. But let's say that in this game they work the skills logically so that certain skills do offset one another, then what's the point of not having classes when in the end, the most logical and sensible skill builds are typical of some sort of "class". There may be over 500 skills but I'm willing to bet that when you want your character to be capable of certain thing there's only going to be a few skills that you're going to be interested in.

Now I'm sure I'll be provided plenty of reasons why I'm wrong by other posters who support skill systems, but I like classes because they force you to define your character in a logical way that also characterizes the type of gameplay you most enjoy as opposed to these all-in-one super characters people like to create. Just my thoughts...

• cyberace66cyberace66 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Tasos Flambouras:

Darkfall delivers you from the limp-wristed clutches of point-and-click combat. It combines the best elements of the role-playing genre with the intensity and sheer fun of the FPS.

If I wanted a FPS I would go play BF2, DOOM, etc that are made to be FPS; Not some bastard stepchild like the pile of stinking garbage that SWG was turned into. Some people actually like to plan there attacks and enjoy the animation of the battle, instead of some lame click feast. Click,click, click,click,click, ya I pwned you noob. image