Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Returning?

bigdjrbigdjr Member Posts: 40

Hey guys, I'm currently playing Wildstar but for some reason FFXIV just seems to be calling my name lately.

How is the game now? What's new about it and should I return?

On my old account I have a level 50 DRG 

Comments

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Well I'm back into it now, lots of stuff to do -- more than you can ever handle in fact. PVP is fun, 2 more primals, lots of duty finder content, you can buy extra retainers now... hmm.. Well overall everything is better. I'd say come back in.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think its the best MMO I have played since SWG. And its future is 1000 times brighter than SWG's ever was.

• bigdjrbigdjr Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the feedback guys hopefully I'll be able to play soon. I forgot my password and my email was deactivated after I graduated from college. Kind of in a shitty situation right now
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Second coil is great, and theres a ton to do when you're not raiding. The new story quests are also great (atleast the major sections).

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Funny, I don't consider this a returning to type game.  Returning to Rift or Wow, yes, but this seems a fairly new game to me.  Although I suppose considering the state of MMOs today the only new game is the one that just launched.
  • TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Send me a PM if you want me to invite you to the game within the "recruit a friend campaign".

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

The amount of stuff to do isn't quite as important as what someone likes to get involved in doing.  Right now the most accessible content added in the patch are hunts, the Manderville quests, main story, and the moogle deliveries.   Chocobo raising is also there now, though I still don't quite see a point in it.  

The trouble is they haven't developed good content we can repeat that doesn't tire the player out relatively quickly and we still got the Visual Novel style "die and learn" mentality at end game raiding.  You can technically mitigate some of the problem with tutorial videos, but end game raiding is one of the aspects of MMORPGs that needs the most improvement.   If we are going to use instancing at least have something like the Phantom forest with randomized layout, monsters and loot.  Heck, if we are having visitors from other Final Fantasy games, why not have some randomized dungeons from those worlds?  Just a thought. =)

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

After wading through the login process (tedious....the sound captcha stuff doesn't like me very much, lol) I'm DLing the client with 60 mins or so to go.

I played last year when it came out but when the groups started mass running the local mini-events (spawn bosses in the level 40+ zones) in teams of 20+ I sort of dwindled away.

Figured I'd come back and give it a shot again. Even if I don't stick with it (and I hope I do) $15 for a month isn't going to change my life (to the positive or the negative)

I will do some digging but figured I could ask a few basics here.

1. Have they changed/added any advanced classes (somehow I ended up with a bard, which was cool to a degree but wasn't really for me)

2. Crafting- back then there really wasn't a reason to craft at the 1-40+ levels as drops were sufficient. Has this changed? (Not that crafting was useless but it wasn't 'important')

3. Is the base system still the same whereby if you do a local quest on class X if you switch to class Y that quest was used.

TY in advance for any info.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Digna

After wading through the login process (tedious....the sound captcha stuff doesn't like me very much, lol) I'm DLing the client with 60 mins or so to go.

I played last year when it came out but when the groups started mass running the local mini-events (spawn bosses in the level 40+ zones) in teams of 20+ I sort of dwindled away.

Figured I'd come back and give it a shot again. Even if I don't stick with it (and I hope I do) $15 for a month isn't going to change my life (to the positive or the negative)

1. Have they changed/added any advanced classes (somehow I ended up with a bard, which was cool to a degree but wasn't really for me)

2. Crafting- back then there really wasn't a reason to craft at the 1-40+ levels as drops were sufficient. Has this changed? (Not that crafting was useless but it wasn't 'important')

3. Is the base system still the same whereby if you do a local quest on class X if you switch to class Y that quest was used.

1.  They have changed the Warrior class quite a bit since launch as well as tweak a few other classes.  The Rogue / Ninja class / job is scheduled for 2.4 patch.

2. The main problem with crafting in non-legacy realms was that there wasn't enough gil to go around at the start.  This has been rectified, and I personally make quite the sum per night just by casually doing it.

3.  Yes.  Though added more systems and features since then to help you level other classes, in addition to the +50% bonus and +50% rested bonus.  One of these systems is the Duty Roulette, which you can do once per day and it gives you about half a level bar (in addition to mob experience that you kill in the dungeon for +100% experience).  FATE grinding for levels is no longer a thing, for the most part.  Though you can still do it with the experience boost.  In addition you have the Weekly Challenge Log whereby you perform certain feats and get large experience and gil bonuses, the Sightseeing log, the usual hunting log, etc.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Colt47

The amount of stuff to do isn't quite as important as what someone likes to get involved in doing.  Right now the most accessible content added in the patch are hunts, the Manderville quests, main story, and the moogle deliveries.   Chocobo raising is also there now, though I still don't quite see a point in it.  

The trouble is they haven't developed good content we can repeat that doesn't tire the player out relatively quickly and we still got the Visual Novel style "die and learn" mentality at end game raiding.  You can technically mitigate some of the problem with tutorial videos, but end game raiding is one of the aspects of MMORPGs that needs the most improvement.   If we are going to use instancing at least have something like the Phantom forest with randomized layout, monsters and loot.  Heck, if we are having visitors from other Final Fantasy games, why not have some randomized dungeons from those worlds?  Just a thought. =)

I wouldn't mind that at all for their dungeons since they have little purpose now, in matter of fact I'd prefer it.

Large amounts of random really don't work well with endgame raids however.  You end up praying to get random boss mechanic A or Mob A over B because its easier or drops a certain loot piece.  There's nothing to enjoy when the RNG doesn't turn your way and a wipe occurs, and when it does turn your way it may not be the case for the rest of your group depending on class composition. Die and learn has been the standard in themepark raiding for years and years because it eliminates the RNG factor, and keeps balance while providing a large amount of challenge.  Believe it or not to this day they're people on my server and others as well that haven't cleared the first coil which came out with launch.

But like I said, I think a randomized layout of some sort would make their dungeons a hit assuming they manage the rewards properly.  Right now dungeons have yet to really find their place in this game I feel other than to be speedran, but now theres an even more efficient way of capping tomes which renders the dungeon method useless.  We will have to wait and see what SE's next move with dungeons is.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by Digna

1.  They have changed the Warrior class quite a bit since launch as well as tweak a few other classes.  The Rogue / Ninja class / job is scheduled for 2.4 patch.

2. The main problem with crafting in non-legacy realms was that there wasn't enough gil to go around at the start.  This has been rectified, and I personally make quite the sum per night just by casually doing it.

3.  Yes.  Though added more systems and features since then to help you level other classes, in addition to the +50% bonus and +50% rested bonus.  One of these systems is the Duty Roulette, which you can do once per day and it gives you about half a level bar (in addition to mob experience that you kill in the dungeon for +100% experience).  FATE grinding for levels is no longer a thing, for the most part.  Though you can still do it with the experience boost.  In addition you have the Weekly Challenge Log whereby you perform certain feats and get large experience and gil bonuses, the Sightseeing log, the usual hunting log, etc.

Good to know. I'll have to research some of the systems (new ones). Has been quiet in the starter areas but we'll see where it goes. TY

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by bigdjr
    Thanks for the feedback guys hopefully I'll be able to play soon. I forgot my password and my email was deactivated after I graduated from college. Kind of in a shitty situation right now

Did you try contacting their customer support?

I had this problem with a different MMO. I was able to tell them all my personal info (in their system) and e-mailed them a screenshot of the game box, receipt and code key. That was enough to satisfy them I was me and they changed the email address on the account.