Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's pretty sad that no MMO can even hold a candle to 2003.

Comments

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Sythion

I agree with OP.

SWG was objectively the best MMORPG for people who want to play house, and are too embarrassed to go to Kids 'R Us and buy a real doll house.

Seriously, you should just get over your fears of being judged and try it. The tactile experience just blows anything MMOs have out of the water!

Prime example of folks that don't get it. Instead of trying to even understand at all, they just throw ridicule around. Not that I'm actually replying to the poster, as by this example, there's no mature discussion to be had with them

And this is a prime example of being unable to see value in satire. MMORPG staff is also guilty of this for considering this trolling.

The original post was about how perfect SWG was; and it truly was perfect for a select audience: those who want to play a systemized version of house. 7 of the 8 "objectively" better points were about visual customization and building stuff.

The point is that if you think SWG is objectively the best mmorpg ever, then you do not understand what the word objectvely means, and you are incapable of considering other people's points of view when evaluating a game. If you cannot consider other people's point of view, then your own point of view is completely worthless to anyone but you, and you are just wasting everyone's time by expressing it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

I agree with OP.

SWG was objectively the best MMORPG for people who want to play house, and are too embarrassed to go to Kids 'R Us and buy a real doll house.

Seriously, you should just get over your fears of being judged and try it. The tactile experience just blows anything MMOs have out of the water!

Prime example of folks that don't get it. Instead of trying to even understand at all, they just throw ridicule around. Not that I'm actually replying to the poster, as by this example, there's no mature discussion to be had with them

And this is a prime example of being unable to see value in satire. MMORPG staff is also guilty of this for considering this trolling.

The original post was about how perfect SWG was; and it truly was perfect for a select audience: those who want to play a systemized version of house. 7 of the 8 "objectively" better points were about visual customization and building stuff.

The point is that if you think SWG is objectively the best mmorpg ever, then you do not understand what the word objectvely means, and you are incapable of considering other people's points of view when evaluating a game. If you cannot consider other people's point of view, then your own point of view is completely worthless to anyone but you, and you are just wasting everyone's time by expressing it.

I take it someone reported you?

It was also a very community oriented game, with a good guild system, that fostered a healthy player driven experience, we created our own content with ease due to the nature of the game and it's communal spirit. I had a house but only to help my guild raise our cities population count and for storage, I rarely visited it except when I needed to unload my inventory. The game offered a lot more than "playing house".

There's no objectivity needed in this discussion it's all subjective... One man's trash is another man's treasure...

As for satire, it didn't read as such, it read as I saw it. Troll bait.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Inf666

I played a bio-engineer in SWG. Here is a typical day:

15:00 Logged in and collected the resources and products from my factories / resouce gatherers around the world. In SWG you had to set up gatherers and factories at certain locations in the wilderness and start jobs using their interfaces.

15:30 Put the stuff I crafted into my vendor in our town hall. My guild maintained a town where everyone setup their vendor in our town hall. Since we had quite a few vendors we always had a lot of visitors and buyers.

16:00 I was desperately in need of meat (main ingredient for one of my products). Talked to several friends in hunter guilds if they had some to sell, then flew around to buy / collect.

17:00 I was desperately in need of more vegetables. For that I had to setup a few gatherers at a good spot. The quality of veggies you gain at a spot changes over time so you have to go out and explore the world in search of a good spot now and then. This can take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours.

17:30 Found a good spot and setup the gatherers.

18:00 A chef contacts me and orders some goods he urgently needs for a good price. I reserve the products I am currently crafting for him. Yes crafters actually knew each other on the server and traded a lot with each other.

18:30 Our town is under attack by dirty rebels! I quickly get back and join my guilds troops. We defend our fortress succesfully (We had a lot of imba combat medics ^^).

20:00 Started a few crafting jobs in my factories and logged off.

The only other game that came close to the SWG experience was EVE online. In comparison all other games are sorry excuses for a virtual world. In comparison MMOs have become dumbed down arcade style single-player games with no complexity. Thats just not what I want.

Good times man, good times.

Remember the TEF PvP system? That was the best PvP system ever created IMO. I remember one time at the cantina in Mos Eiseley when a fight broke out between a BH and a Jedi, next thing you know it spills out into the streets and people start jumping in. Next thing you know there's this huge fight going on, imps vs. rebs. What a frikkin' blast!

Can't wait to experience all of that again. Good times indeed. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Remember the TEF PvP system? That was the best PvP system ever created IMO. I remember one time at the cantina in Mos Eiseley when a fight broke out between a BH and a Jedi, next thing you know it spills out into the streets and people start jumping in. Next thing you know there's this huge fight going on, imps vs. rebs. What a frikkin' blast!

Yep, you never knew what was going to happen. The fights were fun ...until the combat medics did their AOE kill all spell (forget its name).

It did have its downsides though. Stealth was completely impossible. Your group always had several coverts running along reporting everything to your enemy.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• zach_bzach_b Member Posts: 28
    Excuse me sir, where might I find glasses as rosy as yours?
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Yep, you never knew what was going to happen. The fights were fun ...until the combat medics did their AOE kill all spell (forget its name).

It did have its downsides though. Stealth was completely impossible. Your group always had several coverts running along reporting everything to your enemy.

Tweaking was all that was needed though, the core mechanics were fantastic. Best PvP moments ever.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

It's pretty sad that there hasn't been a game since 2003 that has even come close to resembling the living / breathing virtual world of Star Wars Galaxies.

1) Extremely Deep Crafting / Harvesting / Mining / Surveying System.

2) Extremely Large Worlds

3) Extremely detailed and lengthy profession system.

4) Endless apparel and customizations.

5) True World Housing / Player Cities.

6) Completely unique expansion experience, e.g., Jump to Lightspeed.

7) Rich with Social Features and Classes. I've met people who've played for years and have never fired a blaster.

8) Countless "Raid Size" monsters that just roam the planet.

9) Ability to place virtually anything you find in your home.

10) True Player-Driven Economy / Ability to start player-malls, shops, etc.

Oh i love posts like this... Because i get to put on my most sour rejection pants and lash out with all my venom... You like to wear a pair of nostalgia-glasses... Well... Go ahead.

1: Extremely deep... Bull*bleeep*... Deep, sure it was a bit complex thanks to material quality but in all honesty it was still just find item X to make item Y.

2: Not really... Large.. Yes, and it would have been even bigger if they where not split in to planets. But a lot of games can make that claim these days... Also do i need to mention the lack of jumping... real jumping... Not just a animation...

3:I would say grindy as *bleeep* but i guess you cudl call it lengthy,,, To bad the game was so glitchy and macro ridden that only a few things made sense to go for... Unless you are still talking about crafting.. if so.. No.

4: Endless you say... *raises an eyebrow* Oh i have been waiting for this one... As a Image Designer with a Tailor/housing alt... .. . I am not sure you actually even tried that part of the game... It was so bloody limited and got no real updates for the entire lifespan of the game... Oh i am sure that it semd like a lot to you shootie people,,, But it was a joke for the most of it.

5: Housing yes... Cities... Once ina blue moon... Most of the time it was a random mace of buildings or a utter cluster*bleeep*. Sure the system was there but it was so broken that hardly anyone did anything with it past the first months. The housing system was pretty much the best... until WildStar came and wrecked it.

6: Bull*bleeep*... JtL was not even a expansion.. It was a un-fullfilled promise finally making it in-game... Any way CoH had the Going Rogue expansion that brought iny new game systems.

7: Ok i give you this one... Bet we did on the other hand see about as much added content as we saw a blaster... A lesson every developer since have learned. Do you know how i ID or a entertainer earned money apart from moonlighting with a Alt... Begging... Sounds really fun right... Do you know when they finished the entertainer quests... Me neither the game shut down before they did. Do you know how many quests ID had to do... Take a guess...

8: Unlike... CoH, WoW, WAR, Rift and i am sure Secret World have them too.. Just to mention a few.

9: Yes this was neat... I give you that the housing system was really nice. I miss my Cantina.

10: This was in essence a pyramid scheme... Really nice fore the guy at the top... Less fun for each tier you went down. For the most of the time all you coudlhope for was that the top guy quit the game. At closing a good friend of mine had enough material of the highest quality to dominatwe the market for about... 6 months... Sitting in a warehouse...Reason it sat there... The top teir armorsmith just dropped of the radar after over a year dominating the market... My friend had bullied a few other gatherers to quit in order to get his spot... Great gameplay right...

Yes... The great SWG.

Did i mention all the people who came to me and wanted their stats buffed but could not remove their armor due to having glitched it on... Or all the macro leveling.... Or the macro combat... Or the easy to abuse min/max system of skills... The lack of basic content for non-combat classes. The fact that there was no system for entertainers to get money outside of honest begging.

Black rot... If you do not know it.. Shame on you.

To be honest...At least NGE tried to fix these issues... Sure it was hunting flies with a cannon but at least they tried something... To little and to late.... But at least something.

This have been a good conversation

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Foomerang

You want a living, breathing, virtual world? Find any mmo, make a character, and start living and breathing in it.

I expect more from someone with more than 4k in posts.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by Darkholme
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Nostalgia.

No, it isn't just nostalgia. I keep going back to old games and emulators and staying with them because they are objectively better experiences.

No, it's purely subjective.  You define the criteria you like and you pick games that meet that criteria.  That's subjective. The overwhelming majority of people don't use that criteria, if they did, games like SWG wouldn't have failed in the first place because everyone would have been playing them pre-CU.

What's not objective at all is the depth of game play that SWG offered, no other MMO has even come close, but no you don't have to like it or appreciate it.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Nostalgia.

No, it isn't just nostalgia. I keep going back to old games and emulators and staying with them because they are objectively better experiences.

No, it's purely subjective.  You define the criteria you like and you pick games that meet that criteria.  That's subjective. The overwhelming majority of people don't use that criteria, if they did, games like SWG wouldn't have failed in the first place because everyone would have been playing them pre-CU.

What's not objective at all is the depth of game play that SWG offered, no other MMO has even come close, but no you don't have to like it or appreciate it.

Factually incorrect. Quite a few MMOs have and most of those died because of lack of players. The ones that still exist no one looks at because they aren't "AAA" enough. Honestly I get you guys feel like it hasn't happened since but if you actually type "sandbox MMO" into google you will start coming across plenty some of which even shoot past SWG in depth.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Funny - I totally thought my response was going to be: "I think you're a year too early."

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Nostalgia.

Yup, that's not objective at all.  You're completely right there.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Originally posted by LacedOpium
     You either felt the magic of SWG, or you did not.  That's really all it boils down to.  Those who disagree with SWG being a great game will always cite it's technical shortcomings.  I have yet to read a post by any one of us who speak highly of SWG who disputes that SWG was flawed and buggy.  But many of us were able to overlook those flaws and bugs because we captured the spirit of the game and enjoyed it from that perspective.  It is obvious from some of the posts that always spring up in these SWG threads that some did not, and that is ok.  I don't care how good a game is, there will never be a game that appeals to 100% of the gaming population.  Every game will have its detractors.  As sure as death and taxes, this is another certainty you can count on. Why is it that swarms of anti-SWG folk always feel the need to flock into these SWG threads and tell those of us who enjoyed SWG that our experiences were wrong and how we are all viewing SWG through "rose tinted glasses" and its "only nostalgia."  To them, it is not conceivable that we could have actually enjoyed SWG.  In other words, please tell us how we felt when we played SWG because only you, in your infinite wisdom, can recite our experiences better than we can.The fact of the matter is that it is all subjective.  Just because our experiences of SWG differed from yours does not mean ours were not real.  We just received a different experience from the game than you did.  And it must have been real because there are a lot of us.  Perhaps those of us who enjoyed SWG need to extend a bit more compassion toward the anti-SWG crowd.  It could very well be that their reaction is one derived out of bitterness.  Bitterness that they did not capture the magic.  That magic captured by the majority of us who think back fondly of SWG.

I played SWG in all it's incarnations and enjoyed it, sure it was different and the Jedi change annoyed those who had done the grind and earned it. The graphics were ok to me but I enjoyed travelling across the open areas, our city, my crafting,

I remember when the hit us with the NGEva d we had to basically download a remade game, the forums were hit with so many anti NGE etc threads and SOE kept closing them only for new ones to spring up. Still played the NGE even with the reduced population and ever dwindling city members.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang You want a living, breathing, virtual world? Find any mmo, make a character, and start living and breathing in it.
    I expect more from someone with more than 4k in posts.

All the intangibles that people want is attained client side. There are millions of mmo players right this very second, who are enjoying mmorpgs exactly the way the OP wishes he still could.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by goboygo Originally posted by Cephus404 Originally posted by Darkholme Originally posted by ice-vortex Nostalgia.

I didn't realize they changed the definition of depth of gameplay to include good concepts that never worked.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by ice-vortex Nostalgia.
    I didn't realize they changed the definition of depth of gameplay to include good concepts that never worked.

Actually, it seems someone wishes to change the definition of 'objective'.  image

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    You could always go relive the nostalgia, see for yourself it isn't what you remember it being. Go play the Emulator. It's on vanilla SWG and it really wasn't fun when I tried it. Overly complicated, combat was boring, gameplay seems to not have aged well at all.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

You guys do realize you are responding to the same four SWG haters over and over again?  There will always be that 5%.

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

There is a simple reason why this game is "no longer"

An accountant did the numbers at SOE and it was not making a profit.

Originally posted by blythega

There is a simple reason why this game is "no longer"

An accountant did the numbers at SOE and it was not making a profit.

Or they got greedy and wanted more and instead ended up goofing.  Greed happens.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

You guys do realize you are responding to the same four SWG haters over and over again?  There will always be that 5%.

Name them. And while you're at it post a poll and see how many people would prefer the original version back (like that group is currently doing) and who would like a modern version which has all the bells and whistles of modern MMOs and the feature set of SWG (graphics optional somewhat, there's a reason why SWG in terms of models and stuff looked little better than EQ).

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

I like to call this nostalgia syndrome. One of these posts comes up every now and again saying how "awesome SWG was" and how good the "good ol' days were." Here's the issue...When you look back several years, you can only see the positive impacts the game made on your life. You see all the fun times you had with your friends and whatnot. You don't remember the shitty moments or how terrible the grind was. 

You're probably wondering if I have even played SWG. I haven't. But this concept applies to everything. I just think that people need to stop trying to live in the past, and stop trying to say things like "no MMO can hold a candle to SWG" and start trying to focus on making the current games better. If SWG was released today the way it was in 2003 with updated graphics to match the times, I almost guarantee it would do just as good as Wildstar or ESO. Sure, it is simple speculation, but I know it wouldn't do as well as it did back then. Why? Because the times have changed. 

TL/DR: Stop living in the past and saying how shitty the games are now, and start focusing on trying to change the games in the present. 

Originally posted by Dihoru

Name them. And while you're at it post a poll and see how many people would prefer the original version back (like that group is currently doing) and who would like a modern version which has all the bells and whistles of modern MMOs and the feature set of SWG (graphics optional somewhat, there's a reason why SWG in terms of models and stuff looked little better than EQ).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I too would love an upgraded version of SWG.  I am not looking back at SWG with "rose tinted glasses."  I am fully aware of its short comings and would love if a new re-skinned SWG would be released that mitigated those short comings and perhaps added a few new modern features.  The plus that I attempt to highlight regarding my appeal to SWG is its open world and wide variety of features and things to do.

IMHO, it was a classic sandbox game and I really enjoyed that it was a game that appealed to a greater variety of players because every profession had a meaningful purpose.  You could actually play the game entirely as a crafter, or entertainer, or social wanderer with no real purpose other than hanging out in cantina's and have a good time doing it.  The cantina's in the game where seemingly bustling with people having a good time and if you wanted to take off and explore there was a vast world to do that in, with a real chance of discovering neat things that were unique in their own way.

Again, did it have its shortcomings?  Yes it did.  No one is denying that.  But when viewing the game in its totality without nitpicking every specific little bug and flaw one comes away with a great game, or at least a game worth praising, if nothing else to encourage successors, in the same mold, in the MMORPG genre.  Particularly when taking into consideration the direction MMORPGs have taken in the past few years.  

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by blythega
    There is a simple reason why this game is "no longer"An accountant did the numbers at SOE and it was not making a profit.
    Yes, there is a simple reason. You missed it, though.

SW:G was running until SW:TOR killed it. No license renewal and LucasArts wanted no competition, so the plug gets pulled on SW:G.

It did not close down because of low population or any other reason, though any of those reasons may have been close to closing the doors. SW:G definitely did not have WoW numbers at the time of shut-down, but what MMO does? It was shut down because of the new Star Wars MMO, SW:TOR.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by i_own_u

I like to call this nostalgia syndrome. 

You're probably wondering if I have even played SWG. I haven't.

Lol.

Or perhaps we just really loved the game.

Some of the arguments thrown around here that were pulled from small, dark places is just silly. I may like apples and you may like oranges. So what? That doesn't mean one of us is sick, it just means we like different things.

But how would you even know from that second comment lol?

Just silly.