Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Pillars of Eternity - Making the Old New Again

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you’re an old school RPG fan, this year is likely to go down in your record book. Divinity: Original Sin came out last month and impressed us all with its retro-roots and intense difficulty. Not to be outdone, Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity came out of the gate swinging this week and blew away press with a series of interviews and sneak peeks to leave any CRPG fan salivating. The old is new again. That and so much more – Destiny, The Witcher, and is Morrowind coming to mobile? – in this week’s RPG Files.

Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: Pillars of Eternity - Making Old New Again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Also we just got one of the best JRPGs for the PC! I'm talking about The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, and it just came out on Steam. I would highly suggest checking it out!

Maybe when XSEED and other companies sees how desperate gamers are for good JRPGs in the NA (at least for the PC) they will give us more. At least that's what I hope...

Smile

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

is trails in the sky really good? everyone tells me its really boring...?

anyhow, really looking forward to this one! it just looks like baldursgate 2014 edition...but i still have to play through divinity as well

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

anyhow, really looking forward to this one! it just looks like baldursgate 2014 edition...but i still have to play through divinity as well

Do it, it's got all of the features of an OS RPG, and then some, I consider it the TES of isometric design.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Don't know why it's so trendy to hate on Kickstarter lately. Is it because of that silly Minecraft clone game that failed?

Maybe I'm lucky but I've been very pleased with everything I've backed on there so far. Shadowrun Returns was probably the "worst" game I've got out of it and that's not a bad game at all. Pillars of eternity is definitely one of the ones I'm looking forward to most.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by Distopia

Do it, it's got all of the features of an OS RPG, and then some, I consider it the TES of isometric design.

It is not TES of isometric design.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

It's still a pretty damn good JRPG.

Smile

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I said I consider it that due to the way in which they designed the interactivity with books and items in the game world, puzzles are pretty similar as well. I'm talking about divinity:OS of course.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    and nothing about Wasteland 2?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I bought Divinity Original Sin because so many were comparing it to Baldur's Gate.  Wrong, not even close.  Waste of money if you ask me, could not even get the kids interested in it.  I thought the game controls were poorly done, makes it very awkward to play.

Going to be more circumspect when buying games.  People are so starved for a good one they will say anything about mediocre one.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What the heck is a C rpg?

Why this new era of people have so many terms is beyond me,why not just a RPG played online hence a MMORPG.

I don't want Divinity and definitely don't want that 1995  looking trails in the sky.What i want is very simple a no hand holding no linear XP questing game,just an old fashion rpg that is all about playing WITH other players not against them in pvp.

You would think with the thousands of mmorpg's out there i could have a second after my beloved FFXI but nope,everyone is making games that are a mix n mash of god who knows what they are aiming for.It is like every game now tries to cater to everyone but fails at catering to anyone.

IMO people are so bored they are buying anything with any hype  that is new so it drives up unwarranted sales on every new game.I crave for a good new game but there is literally nothing on the market that i would even play totally for FREE,that is how sad the market is.

To PROVE  my point it was announced that at least 37% of purchases on Steam are NEVER played and the more common rpg's are like less than 50% are never played.So people are just buying because and for no other reason.

My excitement now a days is waiting for my Pizza and Wings to arrive,even late i end up more pleased than any games i see.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WolfmeisterWolfmeister Member UncommonPosts: 50

I come to this site to read about mmorpgs.

Not to read about single player horsepoop. 

Guess this site is sold out like the rest. 

We are the Founding Fathers in this virtual world in which we create. As such it seems we must do what our Founding Fathers had to do.. in order to let our fellow gamers have a fair shake.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Wizardry

What the heck is a C rpg?

Why this new era of people have so many terms is beyond me,why not just a RPG played online hence a MMORPG.

the term is old as hell

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Wolfmeister

I come to this site to read about mmorpgs.

guess what...they never stopped covering them