Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Landmark: The Dry Spell before SOE Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As SOE readies itself for SOE Live, a dry spell is coming for the information seekers of Landmark. That said, the most recent update to Landmark – along with the upcoming August 6 update – should provide aspiring builders with some good feels to tide them over from not having Landmark Live for a few weeks.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Landmark: The Dry Spell Before SOE Live.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Been building stuff since alpha, and it's a blast.  The recent updates have been good, but not very meaty.  I suspect when SOE live hits, we are going to see a major amount added to the game.
  • CymorilCymoril Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I was in Alpha- hated it. Although to be fair, I hate Minecraft-ish type games. I feel that's what this is but with better grafix. This was one of the easiest Alphas for me to not participate very much in due to my lack of interest in this genre. I am looking forward to the H1Z1 game running the Planetside 2 game engine.  
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    At this point if you are not a builder type (and I am not)  this game will not appeal to you.  I hope future updates will make this more of a full fledged MMO world or maybe we need to wait for Landmark for that.   Still, the developers are upfront about what this game is and is not at this point so make your own choice. 
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Got an invite from SoE and I spent all of 5 minutes in Landmark.  IF the next gen EQ is close to this it will probably be the first time I will pass on an Everquest release.   
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I was in Alpha as well.  I got a refund after I saw how the game design was leading directly to future Marketplace Station Cash items and enhancers.  But hey, they have been fully upfront with how heavily monetized it will be.  I wasn't into the art-style of the world once I was actually roaming around.  I thought I'd see for myself if the screenshots vs reality were a deal breaker, and for me it was.  The pointless flipping around and parkour movement really became too much and mindlessly unnecessary.  So, overall, a pass for me.

My concern is that so much of EQN's art-style, world, mechanics and whatnot are going to be very similar to this.  Granted, EQN isn't going to be a builder game, but so much of how Landmark looks and feels will be directly translated.  It's also concerning that EQN, for all intents and purposes, is still vaporware.  Even after the grossly boggling and premature Best of Show *cough* award from this site.  I have All Access with SOE, so of course I'll check it out when it eventually pops out of their oven, but I have serious feelings of trepidation of what the final product will be.

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by Telondariel

I was in Alpha as well.  I got a refund after I saw how the game design was leading directly to future Marketplace Station Cash items and enhancers.

You obviously did not play alpha just from that statement.  The marketplace was not even operational during alpha so how did you see how the game design was leading ?  Seriously please tell.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sad that Landmark is not yet a game but instead a modern Minecraft and nothing more.The only news or update should be how Landmark is going to be a game.IMO it was never intended to be a game but just a way for SOE to make some money from ONE aspect of EQNext and doing it long before the actual game "NEXT" is finished.

As to the marketplace,how could you NOT know the whole design was leading to cash shop,that is SOE's 100% design plan for ALL their games.Also they announced very early on that to sell your game ideas it would cost you money and that you would share a % with SOE in the sale.

If your TRUE intention was to get players to help create the content,then that should be FREE after all they are making YOUR game the content,instead it was ALWAYS about a way for SOE to profit in pretty much the only way they could from the idea.

SOE has never been fully honest about their intentions,so of course we the onlookers have to form our own opinions on SOE's agenda,imo that is fair because misleading is imo just another form of lying to your customers.

If SOE does not start to change their ways they will lose a lot of supporters,more so than they have already lost from game closures and the SWG ordeal.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

I think SOE has made a smart move here.  Minecraft was/is the next big breakthrough, ala WoW, etc.   There are, obviously, a ton of 'builders' out there.  That yields a big body of potential game players.  It's permeated really far too:  Some of the local schools here have Minecraft servers that they use to help teach lessons.  Sony is just adapting it to their MMO realm.

Personally, I found the Landmark trial to show a poorly introduced game, that needs a ton of work on its basic tutorials.  I generally approach testing as a naive subject, I don't read up on the game, I just jump in, to see what that experiance is like.  Landmark failed for me;  I was unable to do much, as necassary ingrediants were not in evidence.  There was no ingame help that helped.  As someone who doesn't play mindcraft, when my three days were up, I was happy to be gone.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The game really isn't meant for a "do no research approach" yet. They've been pretty upfront with the games state. It has improved for new players but it is very much a beta and quite a ways from being a ready for prime time game.

That said, combat and danger are due to come in soon. They pretty much said it's being revealed at SOElive and coming in afterwards.

I'm really looking forward to it as I'm not the most visually creative person and want to experience the beautiful world they've made as an adventurer!