Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has SOE misunderstood the market?

LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

Hi,

I wonder if SOE has misunderstood the huge demand on new sandbox games that was rising in the last two years. Right now they only hype their landmark game like crazy. Nothing heard about EQN. Pretty strange. 

The thing is that we mmo-players don't want a real minecraft game like landmark. We want EVE/SWG style games just not 12 years old.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    SOE constantly misunderstands the market.  They're famed for it.
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Landmark is an editor game not a sandbox mmo...

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Lonzo
    Landmark is an editor game not a sandbox mmo...

Landmark is a game in Beta missing features. They have already stated (you can go look at the developer timeline) that there will be combat and commerce. It is a sandbox game with no theme. It is a build what you want, play how you want kind of game. It is just incomplete. What they have provided so far is a deep crafting/building game. The game is far from complete.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Hi,

I wonder if SOE has misunderstood the huge demand on new sandbox games that was rising in the last two years. Right now they only hype their landmark game like crazy. Nothing heard about EQN. Pretty strange. 

The thing is that we mmo-players don't want a real minecraft game like landmark. We want EVE/SWG style games just not 12 years old.

May be those who think players want a Eve/SWG style game are misreading the market.

It is a clear case of misreading if someone would equate demand for minecraft (a building game with ugly graphics) with demand for something like Eve or SWG. Ditto for SKYRIM which is a SP game with fast forward time, fast travel, and on rails main story quests.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Hi,

We've heard nothing about EQN, because they are saving it for SOE Live. Hell, with all of their media focus on Landmark, they don't have many people beating down their door asking for a ton of info...yet. As long as they can keep Landmark in the limelight, the less they have to show from Next. When we finally get info on Next, it'll most likely be a large barrage of info.

• nomotagnomotag Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I kind of think EQ next is maybe trying too hard in maybe some of the wrong places. Yes it's impressive that your entire world is destructible down to the voxel, but you didn't really need to go that far. You have a lot of good sanboxy games without the ability to dig holes. That actually might be too much freedom.
    Originally posted by nomotag
    I kind of think EQ next is maybe trying too hard in maybe some of the wrong places. Yes it's impressive that your entire world is destructible down to the voxel, but you didn't really need to go that far. You have a lot of good sanboxy games without the ability to dig holes. That actually might be too much freedom.

Exactly. Wait until the gold farmers are digging "xyz.com for gold" on the mountains, and the griefers block people from entering town.

Luckily there are plenty of games to play, and i don't have to pick this one.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    It amazes me to see how many people demand a sandbox but don't know the meaning of sandbox. Sandbox is a game with no point to it other then to play how you see fit. landmarks is close to it. There is no leveling no quest you build and explore. When they add combat and other things then you can fight as well. SWG was the closest thing to a guided sandbox you could get. It has player made cities and such. As for greafers blocking off towns, if you play Landmark you would know that they have it set so you can build near the main hub. It is going to be the same thing for EQN you have to go away from the hub to dig or build.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Exactly. Wait until the gold farmers are digging "xyz.com for gold" on the mountains, and the griefers block people from entering town.

How exactly would a griefer block people from entering a town?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

EVE is a sandbox and Landmark is a sandbox. Two very different types of sandboxes. 

Smedly released his blog "The Sandbox" citing EVE like emergent game play, the gave fans Landmark, a Minecraft type of sandbox without all the things you could do in Minecraft.

Please don't confuse the two. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Hi,

May be those who think players want a Eve/SWG style game are misreading the market.

It is a clear case of misreading if someone would equate demand for minecraft (a building game with ugly graphics) with demand for something like Eve or SWG. Ditto for SKYRIM which is a SP game with fast forward time, fast travel, and on rails main story quests.

This was done intentionally by Smed and SOE. It was a deliberate decision to play on the duality of the term and types of games in order to sell Landmark the supposed precursor to EQN.

As we can see a Minecraft with better graphics but less freedom and systems is not what players want.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Landmark was originally just the toolset. They decided to release it as a game as well as an opportunity for people interested in game development to purchase early access. It is of interest to me and many others so just because you don't like please stop putting it down because it doesn't meet YOUR criteria of a sandbox. Sandbox does not mean an OW PVP full loot griefers paradise!!!

While I may not be a minecraft fan (never played it) I certainly love what Landmark is and what it means for future games.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I'm guessing he thinks players would build something to block the entrance to said town... I picture a nice big moat... with fat gators in it... could be a tourist attraction.

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by jircris
    It amazes me to see how many people demand a sandbox but don't know the meaning of sandbox. Sandbox is a game with no point to it other then to play how you see fit. landmarks is close to it. There is no leveling no quest you build and explore. When they add combat and other things then you can fight as well. SWG was the closest thing to a guided sandbox you could get. It has player made cities and such. As for greafers blocking off towns, if you play Landmark you would know that they have it set so you can build near the main hub. It is going to be the same thing for EQN you have to go away from the hub to dig or build.

This. I play Landmark now for 3 days (7 bucks well spent) and I can see a lot of potential. Add a bunch of missing features like combat, economy and territorial control and it would be a nice game with a strong sandbox element even in this early state. Landmark is a strong foundation, they can do literally everything with this as base. I can't wait to see what SOE will have in stock the next months ....

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by nomotag

The foundation of your MMO is the world it is played in.   

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Hi,

I think you are the one who misunderstood the demand, as there is no huge demand for sandbox games, at least in comparison to themepark. Don't confuse MMORPG.com's           jaded ex EQ/SWG/UO posters with general public demand. If we took what this site's community tries to pass off as fact, WoW and SWTOR, the 2 most played MMOs in the west, would be shutting down any day now :/

Originally posted by Pepeq
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I'm guessing he thinks players would build something to block the entrance to said town... I picture a nice big moat... with fat gators in it... could be a tourist attraction.

Both the original comment and your own show that you do not know how the game works.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The only two MMO I've ever enjoyed were both SOE games (SWG / EQ2).

They are in a good spot right now.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

Hi,

EQN still has years to go. Landmark is already playable.

Originally posted by doodphace

Hi,

I think you are the one who misunderstood the demand, as there is no huge demand for sandbox games, at least in comparison to themepark. Don't confuse MMORPG.com's           jaded ex EQ/SWG/UO posters with general public demand. If we took what this site's community tries to pass off as fact, WoW and SWTOR, the 2 most played MMOs in the west, would be shutting down any day now :/

Particular TOR, which is quite hated here, but

a) it has as many SUBS as the beloved Eve,

b) it has many more players than Eve, since it is F2P,

c) it made >$200M in 2013.

So nope .. it seems like lots of players are having fun on it, and willing to pay for it too.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

They are? One is on life support with a skeleton crew keeping the doors open for existing customers and the other is dead as a door nail..  Both games had terrible launches..  Both games hyped to be more then what they were, both had huge problems when they launched that drove most of their customers away (I was one of them).. Both games had to reinvent themselves on the fly to save the sinking ships they were designed to be..  LucasArts along with SOE totally screwed the pooch with SWG, and EQ2 never really became a serious contender as MMO king after their initial launch..

I honestly question the skill and abilities of the execs in charge at SOE..  If it was me, I would replace every single one of them with people with innovative ideas and dreams..  People that can think outside the box and create new and different ideas and ways of playing..  SOE seems to want to reinvent the wheel with every new game, using the same formula and expecting different results... which happens to be the definition of insanity.. LOL   EQNext is actually about as daring as I've seen SOE go, and honestly this time I think they misread what MMO players want, or they are trying to go after a Minecraft, Farmville market of players..  EQNext is getting 2 hours? of love at SOE LIve!!..  1 hour on combat and classes and 1 hour on something in general..  That is a joke IMO.. If all you get is 1 hour on combat and classes = We don't know jack shit, don't even have a working system to show you.. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

They are? One is on life support with a skeleton crew keeping the doors open for existing customers and the other is dead as a door nail..  

Can you link to the data or articles on the "life support and skeleton crew" stuff for EQ2? I haven't seen anything to that effect and would be interested in reading up on that.  

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Well you can always count on SOE for pulling the plug, if the games go their way. That's what the're good at.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Given the reception eq next had at pax east 2013 among columnists and how players reacted after soe live 2013 I think they understood the market perfectly.

Its really simple why they spend their energy on landmarks,  hyping up everquest next makes people write columns, hyping up landmarks earns them money now.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Eq2 is alive and stable with a ton of players both f2p and sub.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.