Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Announced - Hideouts, New Missions & More

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Path of Exile site has been updated with the news of the next major content expansion. Called "Forsaken Masters", the new content offers players the chance to train with these Forsaken Masters, each with their own missions and rewards. In addition, the Forsaken Masters will assist players in finding their own Hideout that can be customized as a personal town.

In their extensive travels throughout Wraeclast, the seven Masters have discovered ideal locations for an Exile to use as their own secret Hideout.

Once you've earned a Master's trust, you may be taken to a Hideout, where you can create your own personalised town. Masters residing in your Hideout offer you daily Missions and train you in advanced crafting options.

Use your Hideout as a quiet place to craft after battle, or expand it and use it as a personalised Guild Hall with hundreds of decorations.

Also:

• Upgrade your crafting benches

• New items & mods

• New support & skill gems

• New challenge leagues

• Rampage Challenge League

• Beyond Challenge League

• Passive skill tree overhaul

• Existing content overhauled

(Thanks Boltonsquad!)

Forsaken Masters is set to be released on August 20th. Read more on the Path of Exile site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Read the update directly on the Path of Exile website this morning, this is an absolutely amazing update definitely a lot to look forward to including the new leagues.

You also missed out:

- Updated passive skill tree

& when you say  "Upgraded crafting benches", these don't actually exist in the game at present this states they do, could be changed to: "Upgrade your crafting benches"

You also missed out:

- Updated passive skill tree

& when you say  "Upgraded crafting benches", these don't actually exist in the game at present this states they do, could be changed to: "Upgrade your crafting benches"

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Didn't expect this nice Diablo-esque game to get a housing system.  Neat.
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

if this game had d3's combat style and better character/item models, i'd never touch another game.

the combat delay, animation, items just push me away. The game has so much potential they need to hire some better animators and performance personnel 

Originally posted by Demmi77

if this game had d3's combat style and better character/item models, i'd never touch another game.

the combat delay, animation, items just push me away. The game has so much potential they need to hire some better animators and performance personnel 

The thing that Path of Exile has that D3 doesn't is a brilliant community & the ability to trade & sell your goods that drop, the ability to not be able to trade items in D3 totally killed it for me.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Intriguing as housing sounds, it's still not enough to make me overlook the unnecessarily obtuse and unforgiving skill tree, poor character designs & animations, desync and animation delay, horrible endgame 'crafting', etc.

Still, have to hand it to GGG for continually pumping out new content. Not bad for a bunch of rookies.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Pretty much this.  The combat and art are terrible.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Wow, desynch is still around eh. I guess there is no getting around it with their architecture.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Are the animations still lack luster?  That was the only problem I had.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

As someone who has always advocated a strong core combat system I think you're misjudging the delay and animation.  It isn't bad as all.  It is comparable to many games of the same caliber.  Of course it doesn't have the production quality of Diablo 3 but it has more substance.  The only issue the game has in my humble opinion is desync issues.  But both animation delay and desync can be circumvented by not playing certain builds that promote spammy attacks.  I know it's not a desirable solution but it is a solution for a game that is heavily developed inhouse with a miniscule budget.

IMO PoE is head and shoulders better then Diablo 3 but the nature of both games is that it's quite possible to play both for different reasons.  It isn't like an MMO where you need to devote all your efforts and energy into staying in the fray.   

The item models are a non issue for 2 reasons.  First they want you to buy cosmetic upgrades to change the appearance, it's their business model and only source of revenue.  2nd it is an isometric top down view where you really don't need to worry about the looks of your character.  I don't care how my D3 characters look because It is not really noticeable while in combat.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by azzamasin

The item models are a non issue for 2 reasons.  First they want you to buy cosmetic upgrades to change the appearance, it's their business model and only source of revenue.  2nd it is an isometric top down view where you really don't need to worry about the looks of your character.  I don't care how my D3 characters look because It is not really noticeable while in combat.

yeah..wtf comes to mind when I read the comments about weapon models. What are people doing standing around in town looking at themselves ? 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Wow, even POE's getting "housing" now? It really is becoming an industry standard, even for non-MMORPGs apparently.

Either way, it sounds good to me. I'll have to start playing that game again one of these days.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by kairel182

I loved the game, even was playing it on the hardcore leagues, but the desync issues made it unplayable.  D2 currently has less syncing problems online...

It makes me really sad because I really enjoyed the game, but have limited desire to play it on softcore to take the desync deaths in stride.

I'm fortunate that I never cared much for the hardcore modes. So when I die due to a desynch all it does is just annoy me a little because of the xp loss. (And because my area may reset by the time I get back if I forgot to put up a portal)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I loved the game, even was playing it on the hardcore leagues, but the desync issues made it unplayable.  D2 currently has less syncing problems online...

It makes me really sad because I really enjoyed the game, but have limited desire to play it on softcore to take the desync deaths in stride.

I'm fortunate that I never cared much for the hardcore modes. So when I die due to a desynch all it does is just annoy me a little because of the xp loss. (And because my area may reset by the time I get back if I forgot to put up a portal)

You don't have to put portals up anymore, you get a respawn point. But portals now have a short duration.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

You don't have to put portals up anymore, you get a respawn point. But portals now have a short duration.

That's a nifty little update that's sure to make life easier. :D

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

I absolutely love their support. Got instant replies, and it was efficient and straight to the point. 

Though i do agree with you on the animations and combat, im hoping for some performance improvement. Desync still gets my hardcore killed, at times is just too much.

I never had such a long network to server data sync transfer, in any previous game (and i have years of gaming)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Intriguing as housing sounds, it's still not enough to make me overlook the unnecessarily obtuse and unforgiving skill tree, poor character designs & animations, desync and animation delay, horrible endgame 'crafting', etc.

Still, have to hand it to GGG for continually pumping out new content. Not bad for a bunch of rookies.

Skill tree is awesome along with the character designs.. animations are as good as any game like it... after palying the game for over a year i have had dysync maybe once or twice.

For a free game you really cant go wrong.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Not bad for free game.  To me POE does more right than wrong.  Being that it's pretty much 100% free for the most part gives Grinding Gears all kinds of passes as far as I'm concerned.  The game is a nice addition to the hack & slash isometric genre.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Caldrin

Skill tree is awesome along with the character designs.. animations are as good as any game like it... after palying the game for over a year i have had dysync maybe once or twice.

For a free game you really cant go wrong.

I don't believe that.

As much as I like the game and enjoy playing it desyncing is a major and very common issue. Most rapid clicking attacks can cause it..often. I gave up on my cyclone build because it would happen in almost every large group.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215

if this game had d3's combat style and better character/item models, i'd never touch another game.the combat delay, animation, items just push me away. The game has so much potential they need to hire some better animators and performance personnel 

Interestingly enough, i have the entire opposite view on combat. The cooldown-based system in Diablo 3 is entirely unplayable for me, and an excercise in frustration. Movespeed is also a huge issue there.

Intriguing as housing sounds, it's still not enough to make me overlook the unnecessarily obtuse and unforgiving skill tree, poor character designs & animations, desync and animation delay, horrible endgame 'crafting', etc.Still, have to hand it to GGG for continually pumping out new content. Not bad for a bunch of rookies.

the passive tree is actually quite straight forward and well designed. You need to think before you act. Give learning a shot, and soon you'll wonder why people play any other ARPG.
  • SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50

From my experience, beside all mentioned shortfalls of the game, mine biggest turnoff was online currency trading sites. Only way you can trade/craft good end game items without cheating/hacking is by using online currency trading websites or farm 24/7 for months to get enough currency to buy some decent item.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Not bad for free game.  To me POE does more right than wrong.  Being that it's pretty much 100% free for the most part gives Grinding Gears all kinds of passes as far as I'm concerned.  The game is a nice addition to the hack & slash isometric genre.

Thats pretty much my feelings as well. I give them a pass for being 3 guys in a garage in new zealand that made this game. Its got so many great things going for it, but its also got a couple of key issues they refuse to fix that cause me not to play the game. I love the game, the complexity, the design etc...but they forgot the most important part. The most important part being, you need to be able to play the game and have it respond properly. All that being said though, I gave them $100 initially and even though I refuse to return to the game until they fix desync, I do not regret the money I gave them. I'd happily give them more money if they ever fix desync, and I will always be on the lookout for anything else the game company makes. They are an amazing company, with an amazing business model. Its unfortunate their game is hampered by a technical defect that couldn't meet their intended design.

Originally posted by Sidad

From my experience, beside all mentioned shortfalls of the game, mine biggest turnoff was online currency trading sites. Only way you can trade/craft good end game items without cheating/hacking is by using online currency trading websites or farm 24/7 for months to get enough currency to buy some decent item.

Pretty hyperbole. There are a multitude of builds capable of clearing endgame content without big currency investment.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Yohanu

Pretty hyperbole. There are a multitude of builds capable of clearing endgame content without big currency investment.

Well yea that's somewhat true since I cleared game with my shitty gear. All I had to do is get 1 unique shield and stack block close to 75% and as much spell block as possible +60%. But getting better/good gear is boring and tedious since farming (even super hard) maps/bosses and getting jack shit or some shitty unique simply blows. Not to mention "crafting" and trying to get better stats or 6 linked item. Basically, when you start grinding/crafting for better gear is where fun ends.