Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rest in Peace !

AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

R.I.P. Vanguard. Best MMO ever, but its gone now. Its kind of sad, but it also means I'll not be tempted to return.

MMOs are over now, for me. It was fun while it lasted !

Comments

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by Adamantine

R.I.P. Vanguard. Best MMO ever, but its gone now. Its kind of sad, but it also means I'll not be tempted to return.

Is it actually finished now?

So sad to see such a game go down. One of the last true MMORPG experineces you will find. A game with exploration and depth. Just had such a bad launch that many refused to go back. I went back and found it to be one of the top MMO's i have played. only second to the god of MMOs Everquest itself.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    it is a shame i went back to it not long ago and it had come a long way.. its just when an MMO has a bad start thats it no one will really come back to it..
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

The dev behind the creation of Vanguard has launched a kickstarter for a new MMO with similar design concepts.  It's a long way off still but if this type of game appeals to you, no reason to quit forever.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

The problem with mmos failing with a bad start is that there is a lack of systems in place.

The mmos for the most part, are designed as sucessful games with large populations to make the worlds alive in crafting, pvp, and pve.

They should design MMOs that are fun in small groups. So the A.I. is more advanced, NPCs movement similar to a single player game, dynamic events that make the world seem alive, rewards for small groups and progression is fun.

Also certain mmos have different factions, so the design should incorprate ways to make it fun for example with two small guilds on opposing factions to face off each other. So it becomes more rewarding, and the world makes more sense that the opposing faction  has some kind of affect and their affect makes them more valid, compared to themepark mmos and factions are more for story or pvp instances than anything. So guilds can form rivalries... 

Its not about making the game into only a coop, but how to make an MMO with low populations fun.

Add mini games and social events can help to bring new players, and adding a lot of horzinatal progression without gear grinds and just challenging content can also help with a fun combat system at its core. PLayer created content as well, fun ways to spend money and not silly credit sinks...

I think the ulimate problem with vanguard was the combat was average, it was not bad. I liked the combo finisher, but other than that, it was not something i felt attached more than any other average mmo in terms of combat.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by thecapitaine

The dev behind the creation of Vanguard has launched a kickstarter for a new MMO with similar design concepts.  It's a long way off still but if this type of game appeals to you, no reason to quit forever.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Thanks.

I noticed this very shortly after my initial posting.

Now I'm actually contemplating to join the kickstarter, which is funny, considering I was set on giving up on MMOs completely before.

I mean its sadly obvious that the kickstarter will probably fail, but at least I could drive the number up a bit at which it failed.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Incomparable

The problem with mmos failing with a bad start is that there is a lack of systems in place.

The mmos for the most part, are designed as sucessful games with large populations to make the worlds alive in crafting, pvp, and pve.

They should design MMOs that are fun in small groups. So the A.I. is more advanced, NPCs movement similar to a single player game, dynamic events that make the world seem alive, rewards for small groups and progression is fun.

Also certain mmos have different factions, so the design should incorprate ways to make it fun for example with two small guilds on opposing factions to face off each other. So it becomes more rewarding, and the world makes more sense that the opposing faction  has some kind of affect and their affect makes them more valid, compared to themepark mmos and factions are more for story or pvp instances than anything. So guilds can form rivalries... 

Its not about making the game into only a coop, but how to make an MMO with low populations fun.

Add mini games and social events can help to bring new players, and adding a lot of horzinatal progression without gear grinds and just challenging content can also help with a fun combat system at its core. PLayer created content as well, fun ways to spend money and not silly credit sinks...

I think the ulimate problem with vanguard was the combat was average, it was not bad. I liked the combo finisher, but other than that, it was not something i felt attached more than any other average mmo in terms of combat.

The main problem is that this corner of the market is saturated by the same type of MMOs.

That one Blizzard MMO did not have a smooth launch, but whenever a themepark launches they compare it to the glory days of the best themeparks out there and their subscriber amount then.

Vanguard was kinda different, I liked the beta, but the even worse then horrible launch made me quit right away. A shame.

A new title which wants to have success should not look at the millions of possible players, just think out of the box and grow their own community and start from there.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

And again I seem to be disproved the moment I posted something !

Over at the other forum they have people claiming that kickstarter campaigns gain speed in the first and last 48 hours.

So apparently the chance that Pantheon might actually start or not is not yet set in stone !

I'll be optimistic about it, then.

• xalisxalis Member UncommonPosts: 19
    There is some people working on it so you will be able to play after it's shutdown.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by xalis
    There is some people working on it so you will be able to play after it's shutdown.

Necrophilia is bad, mmmmkay?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

A game isnt a living thing.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Proof that no matter how good your vision is releasing a broken awful game is going to lead to failure. It is a shame because there was so much potential but the game was just so poorly made from a programming standpoint.

The crucial management error was probably not to make a written aggreement with Microsoft.

And SOE already had a title too close to what Vanguard is, thus they never had a good motive to push it.

Thats just the result of what people do who only look at the numbers.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I will miss it (again), but not like others that have shut down. Tabula Rasa was sad, but Warhammer meant a lot to me because I played it with my kids.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

So much neglected potential...

Was fun tonight grabbing some last screenshots and seeing everybody. Fitting the servers crashed a couple of times in the last hour. Another addition to the Sony games graveyard.