Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Free Trial Event Kicks Off

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

For those who have yet to experience Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, this is the time to do it now that a two-week trial period has been announced. During the trial subscription, players can play to the max level of 20 but will have certain game restrictions.

Start your 14-day free trial and join over 2 million adventurers worldwide who have already begun their journey throughout Eorzea.

Play for free up to level twenty and experience all the epic quests, battles, and classic FINAL FANTASY elements you know and love, like Moogles and Chocobos!

How to Get Started

1. Download and install the Free Trial software

2. Create a FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial account upon launching the software

Get started on the special free trial page on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Over 1.8 million adventurers? Does that mean subs? :o
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Over 1.8 million adventurers? Does that mean subs? :o

does it matter? every US server has tons of people, tons of content, the game is extremely active, and most of the people on my friends list from launch have come back. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

Free trial to counter ArcheAge Beta ?

:)

l2p

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This is why WoW will always win....play forever up to level 20....if only companies learned.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Piscore

FFXIV and Archeage are nothing alike and the timing of their free trial is going to have little bearing on people that are interested in Archeage.

If anything, SE has realized they'll get more potential players by offering a free trial rather than blockading their game behind a box price before you can even give it a real look.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    This is why WoW will always win....play forever up to level 20....if only companies learned.

Win at what?  Square Enix isn't new to MMOs, they prefer a niche active player base and it seems with FFXIV just like FFXI they have that.  They aren't attempting to 'win versus WoW' as much as they are attempting to recoup from likely the worst AAA MMO launch in the last decade...

Glad to see a trial though, better than nothing :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It's odd we can't use the account created during beta.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Yauchy

Win at what?  Square Enix isn't new to MMOs, they prefer a niche active player base and it seems with FFXIV just like FFXI they have that.  They aren't attempting to 'win versus WoW' as much as they are attempting to recoup from likely the worst AAA MMO launch in the last decade...

The mmo scene is nothing but a competition.....so yeah, WoW is still winning, and being able to play for free up to 20 as long as you want has partly to do with it. As far as having a trial similar to XI, look at how well that game is doing....yeah....

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Gonna download tonight thanks.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Piscore

Two entirely different fanbases.  Lol.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

The mmo scene is nothing but a competition.....so yeah, WoW is still winning, and being able to play for free up to 20 as long as you want has partly to do with it. As far as having a trial similar to XI, look at how well that game is doing....yeah....

Wow you can play for a whole 3 hours and get to level 20 for no charge! That must be why they have millions of subs right?!?

You have no idea what you're talking about.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Everyone should give this a try. It's not for everyone sure I know that. But you might be surprised. I know I was, and I love it!
  • BrioCyrainBrioCyrain Member Posts: 2

the competition is who gets the most money. How does making players play for free up to level 20 make them money? It doesn't, therefore they are actually losing the competition in that regard. Usually games go F2P because they've come to the point where nobody wants to pay for the game, which means the game just outright sucks.

FF XIV ARR by just going to a free trial means they are actually doing quite well because they are making enough money to where they don't have to result to more desperate means. If you look all over the internet the only thing I hear about WoW are people finally getting tired of it and the slow but constant stream of people unsubscribing to it.

Sure it's been the most successful MMO for a long time, but it's getting to the point where it's age is catching up to it.

If anything the MMORPG that's winning now is XIV because it actually has an large active player base who up to  this point are all subbers who pay a monthly fee.

Millions of subscribers throughout the year. Consecutive? no. Plus you need to read closely to released numbers. Many games will say active accounts/players/etc. Not a lot of people honestly "play" (which of course doesnt matter to the business) as the numbers they actually state. Besides, WoW does offer quite a bit to people up to level 20. Instances, pvp, dabble in crafting, getting a mount. FFXIV:ARR only offers 4 instances and some crafting. Can't even use a mount till like 21+.
  • BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    this is going to be the biggest mistake they ever going to make, its going to be a spamfest for gil sellers

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Thanks for this.

Going to try this out tonight. I was skeptical about the UI, but now I get to try it at least and see for myself.

Wish me luck. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Millions of subscribers throughout the year. Consecutive? no. Plus you need to read closely to released numbers. Many games will say active accounts/players/etc. Not a lot of people honestly "play" (which of course doesnt matter to the business) as the numbers they actually state. Besides, WoW does offer quite a bit to people up to level 20. Instances, pvp, dabble in crafting, getting a mount. FFXIV:ARR only offers 4 instances and some crafting. Can't even use a mount till like 21+.

Give it a rest..  Just play WoW.  There is no need to troll this game.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

People can't compare of loss of 2 million to a 2 million said playerbase. You do have to understand how they are releasing numbers to. Such as quarterly. So say they did have 2 millions player this past quarter. Did they have a sale on the game? There was nothing said about 2 million subscribers. They have a sale on ARR almost everyone other month which lowers the game to the price of a subscription. Then how many of those actually resub? Of course this stuff doesn't matter to businesses but it does matter to individuals who want to play since they dont want to play on a dead server. Now to go back to 2 million adventurers like it says on their site. They release the free trial to state that they will hit maybe 3 million next quarter. Where do you think the extra million will come from? Once you understand the difference in wording that companies utilize, you'll see how desperate they might actually be. If they had 2 million subscribers, they would just say subscribers. But they had 2 million people during some undisclosed time period of possibly this year.
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Give it a rest..  Just play WoW.  There is no need to troll this game.

That's the other thing. WoW is gonna kill itself with WoD (if they keep along with what is going on in beta), which may be good, but still bad for people who did like WoW at some point. I wish I could just play WoW but there's not point since nothing has been updated and Blizzard is too focused on WoD. Putting all their eggs in one basket. Anyway, not saying FFXIV is bad, just watch the wording and if they had an unlimited trial, it would be best for consumers at least.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Edit: Downloading now. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Albatroes As far as having a trial similar to XI, look at how well that game is doing....yeah....

Yea its like 10+ years old and still has subscription, so i guess its doing great

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Albatroes As far as having a trial similar to XI, look at how well that game is doing....yeah....

Yea its like 10+ years old and still has subscription, so i guess its doing great

Do you know their numbers or just the fact that they still exist? If you do research, you'll see how dead that game honestly is and the fact that half the "subscriber-base" is just being ran by a single player (meaning multi-clients). Good for the business, not so much the players. Unlimited trials allow you to still do things with friends and such even if you do not feel like paying. Certain restrictions prevent the in-game currency spammers from abusing the system. Based on the restrictions listed by ARR, it seems to be good (in theory at least).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Do you know their numbers or just the fact that they still exist? If you do research, you'll see how dead that game honestly is and the fact that half the "subscriber-base" is just being ran by a single player (meaning multi-clients). Good for the business, not so much the players. Unlimited trials allow you to still do things with friends and such even if you do not feel like paying. Certain restrictions prevent the in-game currency spammers from abusing the system. Based on the restrictions listed by ARR, it seems to be good (in theory at least).

uh huh...ok *nods*

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Anyone else not seeing an option to sign up for a trial account on the Dl'd launcher? ALl I can get to is the regular account page but the account I created and registered can't log in.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• OrangeaidsOrangeaids Member Posts: 1

uh huh...ok *nods*

Well according to the Quarter 2 numbers, looks like with still over 6.5 million active  subscribers, WOW is still king of the hill and looks to be for years to come.  Haters gonna hate I guess.  Truth is, every new shiny MMO release is slated to be the new king, when the fact is they go free to play within 18 months and transition over to the micro-transaction model.  WOW just has too much polish and a head start over anyone else and these days no one has the money to put in the development time to try and get something close to WOW.  Truth.