Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one ?

Dr-i-sSDr-i-sS Member Posts: 2

That thinks that the gameplay and combat system just sux ? I mean yeah there is a lot of cool features in  the game, but the base is just terrible so what's the point ? clicking/tabing to target ? seriously ?

And the graphics.. omg they are so overrated by people..

I've been playing mmos for the last 14 years, and I used to play games like these.. but nowdays after playing games like GW2, Tera or even TESO and Neverwinter Online.. I just can't stand it personnaly...

I'm sure this game was cool when it was released 4 years ago in asia but now it just feels like I'm playing a browser game with outdated mechanics. I mean no offense to people actually enjoying the game, it's just that I want to inform people that have expectations like mine..

Comments

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Originally posted by Dr-i-sS

That thinks that the gameplay and combat system just sux ? I mean yeah there is a lot of cool features in  the game, but the base is just terrible so what's the point ? clicking/tabing to target ? seriously ?

I've been playing mmos for the last 14 years, and I used to play games like these.. but nowdays after playing games like GW2, Tera or even TESO and Neverwinter Online.. I just can't stand it personnaly...

I'm sure this game was cool when it was released 4 years ago in asia but now it just feels like I'm playing a browser game with outdated mechanics. I mean no offense to people actually enjoying the game, it's just that I want to inform people that have expectations like mine..

Many will rage but your post has value. People need to not come into archeage and expect the mainstream mmo experiance.

If you want an action mmo and hate traditional mmo combat systems. DO NOT PLAY archeage.

Also will add in if you like WoW style endgame. DO NOT PLAY archeage.

Graphics are dated, but they are still better then things like Wildstar which no one seemed to mind. It is a 3yr old game without loading screens and player placed assets everywhere. It should not be expected to have the genres best graphics.

In general

Those that want WoW style game with traditional combat. Play FFXIV:ARR

Those that want a sandbox style game with action combat. Have to wait for Black Desert

Those that want a WoW style game with action combat. Play Wildstar

Those that want GW2, just play that. Nothing really close to it.

ESO if that is your cup of tea, I do not know why ppl play that game, but play that. Go go solo player mmo.

If you hate the endgame raid progression, want a traditonal feel, horizontal designed, large guild based game with open world PvP and strong economy. Play Archeage.

• Originally posted by Crusades

Oh boy I can't wait to dig into the game that caused you to break that many years of pure silence. Speechless for 7 years, long hard years, but on July 30th 2014 after finally having enough, the silence is broken.

I got nothing to add to this topic. I just have to say that your comment gave me a good laugh. =]

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142
    If games like GW2 and TESO are the reason you won't play AA than I can not wait to try it.  I find the simplicity and solo-ness of those titles to be mind numbing.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Im actually enjoying the combat in AA. A whole lot more than Wildstar which people seem to be enjoying playing with the right mouse click glued down to aim.

My favorite combat is in GW2, but AA´s combat is pretty nice.  Its simple and to the point, yet varied and fun. My only problem with it is the performance, maybe its my PC or its the beta, but it could use more polishing. But that is the overall gameplay actually, so it probablt is the beta. I mention the performance because sometimes even at 40+ fps it feels like 15-20 fps. They still have time to polish it more. And whe they do, the combat will feel much better.

• Dr-i-sSDr-i-sS Member Posts: 2

If GW2 or TESO were good I won't be trying AA :)

I'm just saying that their gameplay mechanics are at least modern

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

That's a fair point

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

very well put.

It did bring back memories of my days in EQ2 back in 2007 though, which is something a AAA title should never do in 2014

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Thanks for the insight ....I think GW2 and Teso were both good also . Just AA is  a much better game

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Combat doesn't flow as well as it does in GW2 but the open landscape and how everything is arranged has me looking up at the clock after playing and wondering where all the time went.  I find it engaging.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i cant judge you for your opinion because i also have mine

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The targeting mechanics may not be modern but the overall mechanics have an upside by comparison. Not only is there the flexibility of choosing three separate "archetype" pools but also which active and passive abilities to choose within them. Add to this the combo system. In the skills window there is a place to see all the available combo effects of the active abilities you chose. These effects range from damage % for Xs to attack speed, etc. It varies depending but there are quite a few of them, more than can be fit into one rotation so you'll have to choose on the fly.

This IMO is something that action combat systems have missed, a way to adapt to the fight after it has already started.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I agree somewhat, but AA's tab-targeting combat isn't that bad.  It's at least better than most tab-target mmos, especially when compared to FFXIV.  In AA, it's at least quick and engaging.  We should also keep in mind, that AA was being developoed before the action-combat craze that came out in the last 2-3 years.  It would be unrealistic to expect them to overhaul their entire combat system this late in development.  I just can't stand playing tab-target mmos anymore, so that's where i agree with OP.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

You mean to say different. In AA you have synergies just like in GW2 in combat, crafting is on a level of relative parity with TESO and neither of those games has everything else AA has. It is your tastes in how things glue together not an old or new spin to combat that determines it. Christ look at Albion Online which uses a control scheme like Ultima Online in many respects but spins it in its own way such that it feels fresh and exciting.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Tab targeting and CD combat has never bothered me, and idk why it is like a prime issue for people playing MMOs lately. GW2 and others similar are glorified TAB targeting games without actually using tab.

I don't play AA anymore because of the 1.2 patch nonsense but the combat has never been as issue to me. It is MMO combat plain and simple and most people know/understand that before installing the game. It isn't any worse or better than any other tab targeting combat so I find it surprising that everyone else finds it surprising...

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I actually prefer my mmo to have tab target. I have enjoyed the hour or so I was able to play AA tonight. I liked the combat, music, the sound of my bow, the landscape, my glider, and just an overall smooth flow, as someone mentioned earlier, you can simply look to the clock and wonder were the time went. I feel like starter are is pretty much part for the course, but I think I am getting a good feel for the game and liking it so far.
  • ThasriThasri Member UncommonPosts: 90
    For myself, I have to agree with the OP. I'm not really feeling this game at all. Of curse I'm more of a sci-fi fan than high fantasy games. To me, it's just another fantasy treadmill game. I played for a bit last night and after I had no desire to play any more. From information I've gathered in reviews and other sources I'm starting to get a bigger picture. The "open world" doesn't really seem this way to me. Seems more like another Theme Park game or at least it's this way for the first 30 levels. You don't get any level of "Sandbox" in the beginning of the game at all. I would really hate to have to play for 30 levels and then enjoy the game, seems a bit off to me.
  • BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222

Why not?

I personally hope that AA brings back some of the SWG feelings I have missed for so long...

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Personally I didn't mind the combat...but I will say over a dozen levels it does get a bit stale.  It seems based off the 3 classes you pick you are strictly held to the exact same combat sequence over & over - regardless of what you fight.  It's not innovative nor awful, but it does seem to be a miss compared to other 'open class' system games...but maybe it'll get better over time / higher levels? 
  • dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

very well put.

It did bring back memories of my days in EQ2 back in 2007 though, which is something a AAA title should never do in 2014

So.... you're a massive fan of Wurm Online and Darkfall but you're piling on a thread griping about Archeage's graphics and combat?

I mean, I love the design philosphy of those two games, but it's starting to seem like you're just going to agree with every single negative post about Archeage "just because".

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I don't think this game is worthy of a negative post, I played it and for a Korean based MMO its not horrible, where most of the others are.  Its just clearly not made for a western audience.  The goofy male character models, weird monsters, bland questing.  Korean MMO's just do nothing for me.  The only game out of Korea that only slightly interested me was Tera, at least I was compelled to play that one to almost max level.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I only played for about 1/2 hour before I had to quit, I will try more tomorrow. After playing action mmorpgs with dodge/roll systems it is very hard to switch back. I'm sure the rest of the game will make up for it if I can put up with the childish chatting. Perhaps if they narrowed down the area in which we could chat it wouldn't be so terrible. Faction chat shouldn't be allowed imho. I'm not picking on the game, just not happy with another Tera community.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

AA is not for everyone, OP, you will probably find many other MMO's  that better suit your preferences.

AA is not an "average themepark MMO", where you can casually drop-in for some fun as if you're playing a quick 15min session of Angry Birds on your mobile phone. AA is old school, it has travel times and many things require planning, patience and actual hard work (grinding).

It's a game that requires commitment and dedication if you want your guild to be successfu. I purposely said "guild" not "you", because individually you simply cannot achieve the greatest things in AA, same as in EVE-Online. owning and maintaining a settlement on the northern continent is simply not possible for an individual.

If you're the kind of person that plays a single MMO for about a month and then gets bored and needs a month's break, AA is not really for you.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Only you have expectations like yours.    The rest of us have our own expectations.

So your effort was sadly wasted here.   

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Realy sorry you dont like that old style skill based tab target system.
    Instead you choose the zerg style 5 button no skill button mashing mmo's.
    Thats cool man ! no hard feelings !

But let me say it this way:

Main Target / Focus Target

CC focus / Nuke Main

Many keys on my hotbars and all of them have a proper function.

Anti CC
    Long cooldown Damage
    Short term buff
    Rotation
    GTFO buttons
    IWIN combo

I take that OVER 5 button console crap anyday m8, but have fun in those mmo's :)
    I love having 4 full actions bars with tons of options.
    Tons of keybindings and making decisions on the fly.
    Makes combat more instense and diverse especialy with 120 class tree's.

Have fun in those console mmo's they are not for me o/

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

ArcheAge is the MMO of the decade, enough said.

It would be the MMO of all time if it didn't have the stinking cash shop and the infamous labor system.

All these other jokes we've been force fed since 2004 aren't MMOs, they're online action combat games with quests and levels and...other stuff to keep your mind off the stale, repetitive gameplay.