Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EA Games becoming the greatest game company to date?

So these guys, who were voted "the worst game company in #murica" 2 years in a row, are introducing something that I can't wait to check out. Here's the article for those of you interested:

EA Will Let You Play Its Newest Games for $5 a Month on Xbox One

http://mashable.com/2014/07/29/ea-access/

I kinda pitty the PS4 owners but oh well. Their choice :p 

I couldn't wait long enough for the upcoming dragon age but from the looks of it, I'll get to play it sooner yay !

Comments

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Evil Arts will still continue to buy up game developers and destroy them in order to churn out subpar rubbish for the guppy gamer feeding frenzy.

I personally vote with my feet and no longer buy any games they sell, even if they are good, been burnt to much in the past now to ever go back.

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

Idk about your experiences but I've had a blast in Battlefield 3 and 4 also the Mass Effect trilogy, not to mention Sims and Sim City. I proudly own Fifa 12 and Fifa 14 and enjoy playing FUT every single day. Owning both dragon age games and absolutely love them. If they add open world exploring ala skyrim in the upcoming one, that would be fucking awesome and no prejudice would stop me from enjoying the game. Everytime I spent money on EA games title, they've delivered in one way or another. I see no reason to 'hate' them. 

Good luck to you my friend but you are missing out on great games.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Imho that access program could be good if you purchase it at the right time just for one month, but for a subscription-based service it has way too little content.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

So EA rents select games under a subscription program and they become the best?

Bearing in mind you never actually own the games they allow access to, and I would guess that new releases would be withheld from the Vault service to promote such title's sales, I don't think it's as great a deal as it sounds unless you are a huge EA fan already.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

EA will never be the greatest.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Miblet

Bearing in mind you never actually own the games they allow access to, and I would guess that new releases would be withheld from the Vault service to promote such title's sales, I don't think it's as great a deal as it sounds unless you are a huge EA fan already.

The money you pay for it is based off how much you use it. With console games, a person probably only plays a fraction of them beyond the first month. So if you normally buy 10 games a year and there was just one that you actually did play for months on end, you'd come out way ahead of the game money-wise. 

I am more a fan of what Sony is doing with the Playstation Plus program lately, but this seems like a good deal for XBox gamers. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

EA has destroyed a good deal of game IP they bought...  I'll mention just one (and my fav)   Command and conquer......

PS. talk about killing it went to the C&C website and it still asks people to join the beta of generals which was canceled last October.  The website hasn't been updates in 10 months.   Buh Bye franchise....

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Miblet

The money you pay for it is based off how much you use it. With console games, a person probably only plays a fraction of them beyond the first month. So if you normally buy 10 games a year and there was just one that you actually did play for months on end, you'd come out way ahead of the game money-wise. 

I am more a fan of what Sony is doing with the Playstation Plus program lately, but this seems like a good deal for XBox gamers. 

Though not all those games people purchase would be from EA.

I doubt EA will put their new releases in the vault either (beyond the demo period) which leaves their older games.  This makes it a good deal for those who don't mind playing the older catalogue of their franchises or those that have been out a while (and judging from Fifa, Madden etc sales I think most fans of those franchises would purchase the game up front to not miss out on the updates to the series).  I can see the Vault being filled with their less successful titles or those whose sales figures have dropped off.  So not as great a deal as it is originally spun as.

If EA do allow their new releases on the Vault then yes it would be great value, however that would have large impacts on their sales, why buy Dragon Age for example, when it's unlikely to last 2 months when you could rent it for significantly less.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    All EA now needs are good games.
  • pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I dont trust posts from folks that get Elite Member status in just over two months and only a little over 200 posts.    :/
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

This is an idea that I am sure has been floating in the heads of a lot of game publishers and online platforms like Steam.

Remember the olden days when you would have to go to a place called Micro Play, Block Buster, or even your local convenience store to rent a game, rush home and play it for a few days of rental time before returning it to the store?  Then Gamefly came out with the idea of rent to own, but none of the digital shops have done it.

I have been wondering if we will ever see this with Steam in the near future.

EA is just a game shark and their main goal above all else is to maximize their profit.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Originally posted by Dauzqul
    All EA now needs are good games.

EA has plenty of those, although I suppose you don't like the genres they're actively developing. In the end EA games has no MOBA and no RTS that I can think of or a race simulator, but other than that they got it all covered. Just not sure how I feel about SWTOR, I do play it atm but only when I'm bored. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. 

Originally posted by pappacube
    I dont trust posts from folks that get Elite Member status in just over two months and only a little over 200 posts.    :/

Read the mashable article then, this is why I've provided a source...

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Vonatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

EA will never be the greatest.

I haven't laughed so hard in ages! Sad thing is, it was all true! lol

Personally I blame the console kids, stop buying crap and sending it over to PC. ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Seeing how i pay for

Spotify

Netflix

(and if i could get around the silly region lock on it) Hulu

Why not EA... The idea is the same and it seems to have worked very well for Spotify and Netflix.

But some people just have such a huge hate-wood on because it is EA.. Had it been Steam people would could not have been paying fast enough... Even if it was just select publishers.

Not saying the deal is perfect but someone have to start and i am curious if this could perhaps replace the long lost art of making a DEMO of a game.

Now all i need is a TV that can show HD and a XBox1.  =)

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by FelixMajor

EA is just a game shark and their main goal above all else is to maximize their profit.

Facebook, Google, Microsoft and just about any other large corporation is doing just that. Looking for ways to maximize their profit. If you were an EA exec you would be doing the same, I know I would. 

• kraizykraizy Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I would more say they are the biggest game company destroyer of all time but everyone has their own opinion.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

So unless I am reading this wrong then for $60 a year I can play / access 5 or so EA games as much as I want. With the probability that some older titles & more games will be coming soon. All for the same cost as 1 new game for the XB1.

Sounds like a deal to me. I used to rent games for $5 for 3 days time. Even if you only played one game a few hours a week that is still a good deal.

Some people will still hate on EA. I may not be a fan but I see nothing wrong with this.

• DarkwayDarkway Member UncommonPosts: 15

EA has poor content on the xbox one to justify this service,the big sellers like BF,Fifia etc all become redundant after the newest version of the franchise gets released each year,there's no way new titles are going to be offered and 10% off overpriced DLC is a joke in it's self,also not forgetting that playing any online aspects of the games offered would also require XBOXGOLD (another cost).

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Facebook, Google, Microsoft and just about any other large corporation is doing just that. Looking for ways to maximize their profit. If you were an EA exec you would be doing the same, I know I would. 

Just because two companies have the same end goal (profits) doesn't mean they're going to achieve them the same way.

Take Valve, arguably the most well loved gaming company. Why? Their price models are fair, their quality is superb and their business sense (with Steam) is just obscenly high... and with their daily promotions and Summer Sale special, they've marketed Gabe Newell as a cross between Jesus and Santa Claus all at once.

Now take EA - their policy of chopping content for DLC, gauging their customers all the while producing content that's, at best, good but usually mediocre... all the while devouring quality content producing companies like Mythic and Bioware, gutting the core of what makes them good, and crapping all over their IP. Just watch this video - it's a bit dated (as this guy was fired), but it shows what EA is all about: 

Is it any wonder why Valve is doing so well and EA stock value is about half of what it was 10 years ago?

• berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162
    By thew way.. I can't remember who it was, but some guy from top ranks of EA claimed the future would be "base games" with about 6h of content and then DLC for more hours (or better the rest of it), so you get the drift how EA thinks. This will be no different. Tops for the start, then the back catalogue, or you need DLCs for further enjoyment. Nah! I don't trust EA.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

As is par for the site, someone posts something controversial and the haters are out in force.  Whether you admit it or not, EA makes good games.  They wouldn't be where they are if they didn't.  Many people say I will never buy a Game from EA, yet they continue to sell more games than anyone.  There stock price is doing incredibly well and their investors are pretty happy. 

The worst company in America rating has turned into a positive financial storm for EA.  The gamers who vote on these types of polls are written off as stereotypical adults who have a vendetta against the company and find ways to manipulate the poll. This is how gamers are viewed by the financial world when it comes to this poll.  If it was serious and they truly made bad games, there is no way EA would be doing so well financially. 

AS for this latest stint by EA, they need to do something to generate interest in the xbox one as they continue to struggle in sales against the PS4.  EA knows word of mouth from console owners is one of the most powerful selling points.  HAppy console owners tell other gamers and sell them on it, just like we do here, except on this site, most of the time, we do the exact opposite and tell others don't play (insert game name here)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

First off umcorian.... Let us be very correct and split things in to their proper categories.

EA the devloper

EA the publisher

Valve the developer

Steam the on-line retailer

EA the developer: At this current point EA as a developer has pretty much evaporated, it is a loose web of studios with stronger or looser ties to EA as a publisher. Electronic Arts per se do no longer exist.

Valve the developer: The maker of... Well.... Three game in essence. Still regarded as a very solid company but has in reality not done all that much in the past decade. Much like EA as a developer it lives on past glories.

EA the publisher: This is that black behemoth that most people associate with the name these days. The consumer of small studios and destroyer of all that is good and true (also funny enough voted as one of the best workplaces in the US when it comes to equal rights and normalizing of non-hetronormative relations in the workplace). This reputation is not unfounded. EA have bought many small studios and made them part of the EA borg. But it has also bailed several projects out from ceartin death and made games out of them.

Steam the on-line retailer: Pretty much what Valve is known for outside of "real gamer" circles. Steam does not produce anything but it is a very nice platform for selling your digital goods. A forerunner in the digital direct market Steam hold a unassailable position not unlike what Blizzard managed to do with WoW. Every now online service is by default compared with steam.. and fail... because.

So in essence comparing the two is downright pointless.... At best you can say that Valve have been a lot kinder with the DLC but then on the other hand Vale is one studio making in essence one game over and over again... And last time checked the EA sports games was pretty kind on the DLC too... Actually.. is it even EA who makes those games any more... Any way EA is not a developer any more... That was the point i was trying to make.

This have been a good conversation

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by umcorian
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Just because two companies have the same end goal (profits) doesn't mean they're going to achieve them the same way.

Take Valve, arguably the most well loved gaming company. Why? Their price models are fair, their quality is superb and their business sense (with Steam) is just obscenly high... and with their daily promotions and Summer Sale special, they've marketed Gabe Newell as a cross between Jesus and Santa Claus all at once.

Now take EA - their policy of chopping content for DLC, gauging their customers all the while producing content that's, at best, good but usually mediocre... all the while devouring quality content producing companies like Mythic and Bioware, gutting the core of what makes them good, and crapping all over their IP. Just watch this video - it's a bit dated (as this guy was fired), but it shows what EA is all about: 

Is it any wonder why Valve is doing so well and EA stock value is about half of what it was 10 years ago?

This is a very good point, and probably why EA has such a bad rep.

Just my own personal view, but one of the things I don't like about EA is that they seem to be too many suits and not enough people who like games. If I take the example of Mass Effect 3's release and the day 1 DLC involving the Prothean squad member, this is an example of a business decision with no regard for the ultimate consumer.

Any fan of Mass Effect is going to be pissed at being asked for a further $15 on launch day to access content that should be in the game anyway. You could argue that even hiking the box price by $15 would have been better as Mass Effect 3 was a premium product for which fans would have probably paid more. At least then you don't feel gouged and cheated as a consumer, even if the profitability would remain the same for EA. An example, to me at least, of suits making decisions rather than business-minded gamers.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by kraizy
    I would more say they are the biggest game company destroyer of all time but everyone has their own opinion.

I used to feel like this. But you know all those companies they destroyed had greedy owners that sold out for a buck. No one forces them to sell to EA. Westwood did this without telling their game developers the company was being sold. So its not just about EA.