Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this was pretty much made for the people on this site...

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by flizzer

Funny, people will argue that paying 150 and 20=30 for DLC and more is a good thing.  Many gamers are on the side of the companies

This is true and the sickest part of the whole thing. These people either have to much money or kids using mom and dads credit card. Not one gamer i know that works for a living thinks doing this is smart. And all the people here doing it hurt the gaming community as a whole.

• Huh.

Apparently OP's dollars are worth more then mine.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Long live the sub.

Interesting, since the comic pretty well describes two huge sources of income for most subscription games - expansions and founder/VIP/SE/CE/early access sales.  

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• anegessseo888anegessseo888 Member Posts: 7
    I believe i ve seen this comic somewhere, lol

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.buy wow gold

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Innovation! Waiting for last panel to happen in real life... Then companies are set to swim in cash...

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Wouldn't all that apply to the people not on this site. The people here don't play anything.
    "I may not play many video games, but when I do...
    (I spend lots of cash on stupid pixels! lol)

Thanks for the sad laugh, OP. This is one of those "funny, but true" items I see every now again.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Seems we are the brunt of a lot of truths...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Sums up why I never buy new games, the only people who really fall victim to this are those who must play on day one (or before). Wait for the GOY edition, the F2p to launch or what have you. They feed off of the impulse buyer...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Next up.

Pay to design and built it for me.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    Long live the sub.

+1

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    Subs aren't all that great either, especially when it's entirely possible for them to switch to F2P, with all the pay-only items.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Distopia

Sums up why I never buy new games, the only people who really fall victim to this are those who must play on day one (or before). Wait for the GOY edition, the F2p to launch or what have you. They feed off of the impulse buyer...

To me it seems like buying into any game on the outset is a gamble, its rare you get a launch that is problem free, but if you are prepared to be patient and wait it out for the game your interested in to settle down and get the numerous bug fixes that they always seem to need, then that is probably the best time to buy into a game.

Personally i think all MMO's should have a 'try before you buy' or at least a 1 week free trial period, but given how often those are exploited by gold farmers etc, i can see why some don't. image

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by ArChWind

Next up.

You mean EQ Next Landmark?  Yeah, we're already there.  The reason you hear so little about EQN is because the game is actually being built by the players in Landmark, and they're paying to do it.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The DLC thing doesnt apply to all games like Bioshock Burial at Sea Episodes 1 and 2 DLC and XCOM Enemy Within DLC since those were developed after the games were released.
    Originally posted by Strayfe
    Originally posted by ArChWind

Next up.

You mean EQ Next Landmark?  Yeah, we're already there.  The reason you hear so little about EQN is because the game is actually being built by the players in Landmark, and they're paying to do it.

Are the players doing the coding too? Or designing the combat system and AI.  Are they designing the geography of the world and writing the story?  Did they develop the tools and voxel tech being used in Landmark and EQN?  What about the Animations, voice acting, facial recognition emotes.  Are they developing the physics of the game?  Do they determine what the stats of armors and characters will be and the math that goes behind?  Does Landmark let players develop the sound effects and music?

How did the players develop landmark before they had access to landmark?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Distopia

To me it seems like buying into any game on the outset is a gamble, its rare you get a launch that is problem free, but if you are prepared to be patient and wait it out for the game your interested in to settle down and get the numerous bug fixes that they always seem to need, then that is probably the best time to buy into a game.

Personally i think all MMO's should have a 'try before you buy' or at least a 1 week free trial period, but given how often those are exploited by gold farmers etc, i can see why some don't. image

How many more generations of games will people actually go in with fingers crossed saying "subs are better, subs are better ,subs are better"...only to quit a month in.

I think a lot of people in this thread don't know they're the butt of some of those jokes.

Originally posted by Robokapp

he didn't mean to insult your company...he was just making a point.

I was making a point too and would say it for all game developers

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Although I think that most any subject can be spun in a cynical way leaving out key points this did make me laugh and for that is worth the bump.
  • DyireDyire Member CommonPosts: 7
    It sure suits this forum but it was made for /r/pcmasterrace ;)
  • BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

OP

+1 image

----

----

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

...considering how stupid this comics is, I wonder if you tried to insult the posters here.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    When Kim Kardashian's game gonna make hundreds of millions, why to bother with other milk cash things?
  • askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by fardreamer
    Long live the sub.

+1

"Let's make people purchase the full game at a normal box price, and then ask them to pay every month to continue to play the same game."

"Sir, that would never..."

"And then on top of that, we can still ask them to pay whenever we release an expansion."

"Sir, please. Gamers will never..."

* swim in cash *

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Good post.. very accurate.. It's why I haven't been a serious MMO player in years..  I refuse to fall for these traps..  I wonder how many play Landmark?  lol
  • ChoopssChoopss Member Posts: 20

I suppose it is quite odd but companies really are only taking advantage of our lack of patience and inability to control ourselves. The whole world is slipping into "over indulging" on things such as food, credit, love affairs etc. Maybe the faster we advance technologically, the faster the human race is losing its sense of morality :D

Something slightly less philosophical....I'm generally a really happy dude and don’t mind this happening to me. I don’t mind being able to pay to play a game early, I don’t mind being able to buy content that I don’t already have. The if's and but's are useless, the demand is there so therefore so is the supply :)