Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Destiny: End of Beta Impressions

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Last week I talked about how Destiny can be looked at as a MMO. It wasn’t an exercise in trying to convince people that it is an MMORPG so much as it was to show people that if you have some preconceptions about the game, Destiny just might surprise you in how familiar some of its core aspects are. That said the beta ended this past weekend after we received a tease of the moon and it has left us time to reflect on the good and the bad we came across over the past week.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Destiny: End of Beta Impressions.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Im not going to support this new console world they are trying to create.

They either bring it to pc or go to @uck Off

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    ^ +1
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    I prefer Console only, tbh. I am much happier without aim assists and bots ruining the experience.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    I prefer Console only, tbh. I am much happier without aim assists and bots ruining the experience.

Doesn't the fact that it's on a console mean that aim assist is built in already?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not touching this game without a PC version.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by fardreamer
    why no pc version? 

They've hinted at one, but haven't confirmed one. Basically, the answer has been, we're developing for 4 consoles at the moment, and didn't want to concentrate on that without the added complexity of a PC release. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by fardreamer
    why no pc version? 

They've hinted at one, but haven't confirmed one. Basically, the answer has been, we're developing for 4 consoles at the moment, and didn't want to concentrate on that without the added complexity of a PC release. 

thank you! I'll wait for a pc version then!

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

first sell to console so people get a bit "forced" buy new console. after year or 2, they release pc version to gain some extra money.

usually business. i dont think game is great on pc anyway. consoles are limited.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I played the game up to level 8 this weekend with my best friend. Here is what I feel about Destiny:

Destiny creates a beautiful universe to explore. The graphics are breathtaking even on my old 360. I don't normally play games like Destiny on the console, but I had no other choice this time. That being said, the overall game play experience was good, even with my predisposition towards playing games on a PC.

The gear/ item system needs a lot of work. Half the time you don't get any rewards for doing something, and the other half the time the rewards are worse than what you already have. This can be tightened up before launch.

Fireteam missions are currently lacking in difficulty and tactical gameplay. They are fun, especially the first couple of times, but it gets old rather quick imo.

The controls/ aiming is great. A+ from me here. Bungie has always had a very smooth control scheme for their games, so this was no real surprise.

The best way I can describe Destiny is an amalgamation between Mass Effect, Halo, and Borderlands. The gameplay/ loot aquistion is Borderlands, through and through. The world design and story are more reminiscent of Halo with a sprinkling of Mass Effect style story telling.

All in all, it's a pretty fun game, but nothing ground breaking or game changing like we were led to believe. So far in the first 8 levels, I'd give the game a 7.9/10 on a scale of 1-10. It has a lot of good ideas and it's pretty fun to play, but they are going to need far more than what they have on display so far to hook people beyond a few weeks.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    In a nutshell my beta experience wasn't that impressive. It is nothing we haven't seen before, it is very anti social in term of actually making a community. The missions were not very hard on normal but I saw no reason to bump it up to the next level just to see enemies gain more hit points either. Only 3 classes at launch with no real class customization other than loot . At least in Borderlands you had 3 skill trees to customize your play style. I was pretty disappointed. The world does look nice but there is more to a game than just looks.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    This game is for kids it won't be headed to pc. I have determined that consoles are targeting a younger demographic. Playstation deems very interested in stealing wii u fans and from that demographic. Microsoft seems caught up in an identity crisis and their apps are targeting an older demographic. That's for apps though. I'm interested in the games. The games for the adult demographic are only on pc. Console games will never have the level of sophistication found on pc. I watched the next generation come in, I had high hopes, I wanted to ditch pc, but as I am watching this all unfold, I am disappointed in consoles. I'm sure they will do just fine, but I had different expectations.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Zefire

Agree 100%!

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I've played to lvl4 because I didn't want to spoil the experience when it goes live.

Game is cool. Storytelling is immersive and combat is tight. There will be many PvP maps and modes, so Bungie has this part covered pretty well.

My main concern is the lack of PvE content. I'm not sure Destiny will have enough zones and planets at start, unless they are hiding a lot of content for launch and DLCs.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by saker
    Originally posted by Zefire

Agree 100%!

A little dramatic aren't we? Console gamers don't go griping about the PC world every time there's a PC exclusive title.

Maybe if Microsoft had decided to support Windows more as a gaming platform rather than making a console there might be someone to fight for getting Destiny on PC.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Good thing that Division is coming to PC :) Destiny is just a 'meh' borderlands ripoff :D
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Originally posted by Fusion
    Good thing that Division is coming to PC :) Destiny is just a 'meh' borderlands ripoff :D

Jealousy is really a bad thing...

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

LOL @ some of these comments.

If gaming is a big hobby of yours, spending $400 on a console that you can enjoy for 4-5 years should be nothing.  Also, you should want to play great games, not fight over which platform a game is on.

I play mostly on PC, but for example, Mario Kart 8 is more fun than anything on PC ive played for the past  year or more and I own 850+ games on steam and also play tons of non-steam PC games too. 

Destiny IMO is only OK, its not a great game to me, but people on here all mad that its a console game, grow up!

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Fusion

I wouldn't really hold my breath for either game to be ground breaking or "the next WoW" as the people are want to compare all games to these days.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by Crusades
    This game is for kids it won't be headed to pc. I have determined that consoles are targeting a younger demographic. Playstation deems very interested in stealing wii u fans and from that demographic. Microsoft seems caught up in an identity crisis and their apps are targeting an older demographic. That's for apps though. I'm interested in the games. The games for the adult demographic are only on pc. Console games will never have the level of sophistication found on pc. I watched the next generation come in, I had high hopes, I wanted to ditch pc, but as I am watching this all unfold, I am disappointed in consoles. I'm sure they will do just fine, but I had different expectations.

always disappointing to read posts like this.

Game is for kids!

I'm into more adult games!

Very disappointing.

Destiny is a decent solid game in my opinion. Very polished but you expect that from a console.

Lacks any real depth though and the loot system is more for the casual player, doesn't take long to get the best of what's available. No real risk v reward system.

Character advancement was the biggest let down for me though. not even a patch on COD series let alone PC MMO games, though I do realise it's never meant to be an MMO.

Gameplay wise the game is polished, looks great and is easy to get into.

PVP is fun but again lacks any real depth. best tactic is to throw a grenade and run in shooting or grab a vehicle. When you do have two decent teams, it can be fun.

This is only the first 8 levels though and I didn't get to see the moon. Hoping there is more exploration and advancement in the full game. customizing your character and having more choice could take this game to it's next level.

The game is fun for all ages.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell
    Originally posted by Fusion

Jealousy is really a bad thing...

What jealousy? I tried the Destiny beta, didn't rustle my jimmies, just not a game i'd feel the need to play.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Telil

Game is for kids!

Very disappointing.

Destiny is a decent solid game in my opinion. Very polished but you expect that from a console.

Lacks any real depth though and the loot system is more for the casual player, doesn't take long to get the best of what's available. No real risk v reward system.

Character advancement was the biggest let down for me though. not even a patch on COD series let alone PC MMO games, though I do realise it's never meant to be an MMO.

PVP is fun but again lacks any real depth. best tactic is to throw a grenade and run in shooting or grab a vehicle. When you do have two decent teams, it can be fun.

This is only the first 8 levels though and I didn't get to see the moon. Hoping there is more exploration and advancement in the full game. customizing your character and having more choice could take this game to it's next level.

That's not it my friend, I just expected Destiny to be more sophisticated and moreover games on the next generation consoles in general. Don't get me wrong I still love me some Mario Kart just not all the time.
    Originally posted by drivendawn

Originally posted by Telil

Game is for kids!

Very disappointing.

That's not it my friend, I just expected Destiny to be more sophisticated and moreover games on the next generation consoles in general. Don't get me wrong I still love me some Mario Kart just not all the time.

Sophisticated? Mario Kart? You are comparing this game to mario kart? Look there are games on PC and consoles that are for kids. Lets not try to say PC's are for the grown ups while consoles are for kids please.

I expected a narrow-minded response like this. Try zooming out a bit. PC is a matured gaming platform, next Gen just released. How many games are you considering? No Mario Kart is not sophisticated, I am saying there is a time for both sophisticated and not, unfortunately consoles don't have many options right now and I don't think they ever will.
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

first sell to console so people get a bit "forced" buy new console. after year or 2, they release pc version to gain some extra money.

usually business. i dont think game is great on pc anyway. consoles are limited.

Yeah I wouldn't even mind that, if ports from consoles to PCs were done right, instead of being complete pile of crap.

And as for the game itself. Aim assist? LoL. How do they expect me to take a game seriously, when it has built in aim assist.

Jesus fucking Christ game developers have really gone waaaaaaaaaaaay too far with various <insert>assists.

Quest arrows, aim assist, auto-walk, easy-to-understand, easy-to-get-in, press W to walk forward, press A and D to move sideways, use your mouse to rotate your camera SHIT!

Someone wake me up from this gamers Nightmare that I've been dreaming since about year 2000.

And no, I'm not buying a single game that was primarily made for consoles, unless I see, that the port to PC was made FLAWLESSLY!

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Wait didn't this game cost 500 mil to develop? (or did someone pull that number out of their ass?)

Do they intend to make that big of an investment back by releasing it on consoles only? I got a feeling it isn't going to happen.

Most of these triple A titles take the same approach. They are built very casual friendly to lure as many people in as possible, but the dedicated crowd who plans to play it for years will starve of content and depth very early on. I'd much rather wait for the repopulation instead of wasting 60$ on another hipster MMO.