Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 MMOs That Did Not Deserve to Die

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With hundreds and maybe even thousands of MMOs on the market, it’s extremely difficult to be competitive and stay profitable. With the move towards free-to-play structures, the genre has seen a revival as of late for many games that would have otherwise been shut down.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 MMOs That Did Not Deserve to Die.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Vanguard ought to be added in a future installment of this.

And now I'm sad. :(

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Definately Tabula Rasa, CoX and SWG.  They were all good games and the reasons for killing them all off were rather shady/ unpleasant to stomach.  

With Tabula Rasa it seemed to largely revolve around internal politics, with CoX it still seemed to be earning money despite financial performance being the main reason cited, and with SWG it was non-renewal of the contract with LucasArts.    

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Of course I agree with SWG :), I'd replace at least one of the others with MXO. I'd say WAR would be what I'd replace.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PaulehPauleh Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Of course I agree with SWG :), I'd replace at least one of the others with MXO. I'd say WAR would be what I'd replace.

I played MXO, while it was fun there is no way I'd replace WAR for it.

I miss Warhammer Online so much :(  If only the game had received some content updates.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    WAR deserved to die as it was the first MMO that gave the start to this WoW clone craze that is plaguing the indudtry.

Originally posted by Pauleh
    Originally posted by Distopia

I played MXO, while it was fun there is no way I'd replace WAR for it.

I miss Warhammer Online so much :(  If only the game had received some content updates.

Fair enough, It's just the one I liked least on the list. I did like it for what it offered, it just didn't offer a lot IMO. MXO was very unique especially when they were still running events. How about we just make it a list of 6 :)?

• Warhammer Online is the best mmorpg I've ever played. I played it since release till shut down. I miss it soo much :(. Damn you ea!
  • GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    RIP TR, SWG & CoX. Those were the games I really enjoyed playing and wish they could have a comeback somehow. Grrrrr
  • GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    I def enjoyed Warhammer's PVP as well. Probably one of the few mmos that had pvp that worked.

• Originally posted by ste2000
    WAR deserved to die as it was the first MMO that gave the start to this WoW clone craze that is plaguing the indudtry.

Warhammer? WoW clone? Umm... What the f*ck are you talking about?

• TECHWONTECHWON Member Posts: 1
    as a player and a member of the COH/COV/COX community and started my venture into MMOs with Star Wars Galaxies, it sad to say two of my favorite games are dead and to be honest SWTOR is like Galaxies near the end linar, not much of an experience unless you pvp allot and pve is good but i wished it wasn't archetype locked and make a more freeform toon rather than here's your race, here's your archetype, here's your abilities, etc. but in the end all things must come to an end
  • LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407

Have to shed a tear for Shadowbane. Will forever remember that game fondly.

Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by ste2000

Agreed...

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I'd have to say I agree with this list for the most part. Games like SWG and WAR are good example of why using the IP of others to make a mmo is a dangerous game. Tabula Rasa was never really given a true chance, and CoX was killed off I would say too early.

Ultimately, I would wager, not many mmos should have been shut down outright. I wager most of them could've covered costs if not turn a small profit for years, and the ultimately cost of bad press of shutting down mmos can create a stigma around a company.

People still hate EA over SWG. People still have animosity towards NCSoft towards the slew of mmos they shut down.

• DarwinianDarwinian Member Posts: 38

I played the majority of these games and Tabula Rasa was by far the biggest let down for me. I played almost everyday up til the end. (was it only 4 months? seemed longer than that) The way Rasa was handled is one of the reasons I didn't give Wildstar a chance. No thank you NCSoft.

Kaneth: "People still have animosity towards NCSoft towards the slew of mmos they shut down." lol

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I right there with you on most of them, but.... Warhammer?  The game looked and felt like it was thrown together from a checklist of the most popular or asked for features at the time. Achievements were overdone to the point that they were the MMO version of browser pop-ups. The PVP was slapped together, no thought put into the open world zones. IMO, It died for a reason. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    WAR more than deserved its low population and sub rates. People who played it to the end didn't deserve to lose their game but if low sub rates led to its closure than it was well deserved.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I would Earth & beyond to that list.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Forget Vanguard.  Why no mention of Dark and Light...............;)
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Considering the posts I've seen so far, it's pretty obvious that niche gaming has a respectable demand in the genre as does the equivalent of a "Summer Blockbuster" type of MMO.   The problem is getting developers to look at the over-all picture and being satisfied with a number of niche games in their portfolio instead of one large game like WoW.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I'll never forget a comment post I read regarding WAR pre-launch:

"Anybody that thinks this game will have anything short of 10 million subs is drinking some serious WoW Kool Aid."

And the rest is history.

I wonder if it was the same guy who said ESO will have 10 million subs by the end of the year...

It was sad that TR died.  I think they did alot of good things, but in the end, they wasted so much development time and resources making stuff that would never be in the game, that it launched with massive main content gaps and few alternatives to shooting stuff.  If they had spent all their time making the game that they launched, I think it might be still around, today.

CoX was excellent, too.  An unfortunate loss.  But like with TR above, you can always rely on NCSoft to abandon good games in record time.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Earth & Beyond, auto assault.. plus the others listed of course hehe :)

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Sorry but shadowbane was a technical disaster with many game design flaws and absolutely deserved to get shot down.

As for this nonsense: Despite all of that though, Star Wars: Galaxies has always been regarded as one of the greatest achievements in MMO history.

wtf are you smoking? Now ive heard some people loved the game before nge and many more thought it was better after but i have never heard anyone say it was "one of the greatest achievements in mmo history".

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by ste2000

Glad someone replied to that nonsense instead of me lol

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Earth & Beyond, auto assault.. plus the others listed of course hehe :)

Auto Assault as a concept should have been amazing- the actual game though, it deserved to die.