Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR 4th biggest Sub MMO in the world

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Based on information from Superdata SWTOR is 4th sub based MMO in the world

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

2nd for sure. Not sure however how they got that numbers.

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by troickt

So?

No one cares about 4th place.

You're either number 1 or you're nothing.

4th place........ ROFL

What have you done in your life which made you a "number 1"? By your logic, you're a nothing as well.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

So?

No one cares about 4th place.

You're either number 1 or you're nothing.

4th place........ ROFL

By this logic, all phones should be Samsung Galaxy S5.

What's this Iphone5 crap? You're either number 1 or you're nothing.

It is always hilarious to see haters squirm and try to justify why making money doesn't matter cause REASONS! ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Uhwop Hi, all the people that think superdata gets information directly from the publishers, please contact me for some very lucrative investment opportunities.  
    It says they do multiple times....So if you have proof they don't, enlighten us....

http://www.superdataresearch.com/services

"By collecting transaction data directly from publishers and developers, our data reports include market-level insights into MMO, social and mobile games, and emerging markets. "   "Q:  What type of data do we have and where do we get it? A:  Every month we collect the spending data of millions of unique paying online gamers directly from publishers and developers, totaling 50+ publishers and 450+ game titles."

I guess what I'd like to know is why does superdatas numbers for nc soft games differ from nc soft's own yearly earnings reports. The reports that they are required to disclose to their shareholders and are open to the public. You'd think since superdata claims they get their data directly from the devs/producers, then they would basically be the exact same numbers. Also since square enix also produces earnings reports to their shareholders, why are they not on the list even though games like dragon warrior online is bringing in more revenue than the numbers superdata is giving for rift. I can make an educated guess as to why in both cases.

And I suppose I should state for the record yet again that I have no beef with the games on superdatas list. In fact, of the games I have played on their list, I really enjoyed and hope they keep doing a great job.

My argument really isn't about the games at all or their developers. I'd also like to know why questioning a third party website incites posters to attack the individual.

The thing you have to take into account is the wording, first, they claim to receive information/data from games publishers although they don't really specify which ones, but go on to say that they 'work with' a few of the big named Developers/Publishers, which infers that they are the ones providing them with data without actually saying so, i have no doubt a lot of it is clever marketing, but there is very little evidence to suggest that any of the figures released about this or other games is in any way accurate or the result of 'insider' information received from the games publishers themselves, its probably a good idea to treat 'superdata' as just forum posters making 'guesstimates' unless they can link in a few facts from official sources to back up their claims.image

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

Sorry, was too tempting. ;)

The game "was" fun, F2P isn't. Too many aholes about it now. :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Winner takes it all. 

No one cares about the guy who finish 4th in the Olympics.

Except you maybe..... ROFL!

Is this the 'doesn't matter anyways' stage in the 7 stages of grief?

That'll be the 'Anger / Bargaining' stage.

ROFL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• agora012agora012 Member Posts: 31
    rift is number 10 ? that is laughable :P.i dont beleive such surveys 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by agora012
    rift is number 10 ? that is laughable :P.i dont beleive such surveys 

Rift always gets lauded for its great F2P system, while SWTOR's is outright despised.

Are you really that surprised that a lot of people are playing Rift without giving the developers anything in return? It's the reason we generally can't have nice things for free like that, and instead wind up with so many F2P's that strong arm everyone into paying or putting up with extreme limitations.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Allacore69

Originally posted by vandal5627
    Regarding FFXIV ARR, it is registered accounts not subscriptions but you people are weird.  All these games are doing well, that's why they are still up and running.  Whey the hell do you care so much?  Just play the game you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy.  So much nonsense for no freaking reason at all.

This ^^^^

+1

Best comment I read all day !!

+2

I've never understood the need to trash games I don't play.There are many fans of Old MMOs that were forced to shut down who would pay a lot of money just to log in to their characters one more time. Just play what you like and enjoy the ride.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Yeah I agree seriously, SWTOR Has a terrible free to play system, other than SoE's before they relaxed restrictions and finally opened up all class/races and the ability to equip legendary/fabled equipment without having to buy unlockers. 

Tera/Aion/Rift all have awesome systems, but Rift gets you to buy souls and a lot of things, Tera has very awesome cosmetics to buy in the market and they all have perks for subscribers... 

Lord of the Rings Online has the best free to play system of any game, and unfortunately that just means it has to be below SWToR due to that. Yet, it is still going strong even being as friendly for the poorer among us, and not forcing people to quit or pay a subscription to continue playing like SWToR nearly does... 

So, Way to go Lord of the Rings Online, Tera, Aion and Rift!! ~ 

Rift can easily encourage more subscriptions by adding more perks, but the game is still awesome... They recently added 4 new souls to buy, and they could just put in a lot more cosmetics like SoE kept doing with their marketplace. 

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    This doesn't surprise me.  SWTOR has a solid core of a game that keeps bringing you back for more.  They do need an open world expansion for people to settle on and populate, a la SWG, as well as more classes, including some non-combat classes.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Keyword being: Subscription based games..  Those that are B2P or F2P are excluded from the list..  I'm sure SWTOR isn't the 4th biggest "game" in the world.. LOL

• They only have 17 servers in total, though. Which is only about half what LOTRO and Rift have.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

For the same reason it was rushed,their sole intention was to cash in on the ip and not the game.If this game carried any other name it probably would be near dead by now.

It plays as good as a f2p could be until about 2o then no matter what class or how many times i tried the game i always wanted to quit after level 20.There is nothing of depth anywhere in the game,it is exactly like most modern games,very average at everything great at nothing.GW2,Rift,SWTOR all fall under this category.

Even Wow and EQ2 both very weak linear questing games,at least do linear questing great and EQ2 does housing great,as i said way too much mediocrity in games now.

I think it is extremely rare we will ever see a great all around quality mmorpg because the genre takes too much time and effort and cost to do it right.Then we have the sci fi /space games which take even more effort,so definitely never going to see a triple A sci-fi/ space game.

If i had a choice i would love to see a grandest of SCi-fi/space because it would involve several planets so like having 3/4/5 +++ Fantasy games all rolled into one,but no way is any dev going to do that properly.

The best i could hope for is that some dev can find a way to automate/generate content and worlds so we have an almost never-ending supply of content to explore.I find it sad that Eve is being supported when it is not even remotely close to being a triple A product but then again neither are MOBA's,they are just popular but lazy game development.

SWTOR was a nice core start to making a game but is still miles away from being the product it should be which is EPIC ,doing the IP name justice.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

You know, one day I will read one of these posts that is reporting some actual information.  Not something that is a year(or more) out of date and made up by a comapny that has no actual relevant data,  but you like the sound of it therefore it is real. 

The fact that all available information contradicts those numbers(including what little has been released by ea) really shouldn't bother you huh? 

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I mean, yeah this is great for the game but you have to remember that this was just for 2013. This isn't current.
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by Karahandras

You know, one day I will read one of these posts that is reporting some actual information.  Not something that is a year(or more) out of date and made up by a comapny that has no actual relevant data,  but you like the sound of it therefore it is real. 

The fact that all available information contradicts those numbers(including what little has been released by ea) really shouldn't bother you huh? 

Hmm all the facts contradict that SWTOR is healthy?  Hmm well why dont you just go right ahead and post those updated links that shows all this information you have that contradicts that SWTOR is healthy...I am sure we will all wait patiently while you search for those links...

Oh yeah, and haha all those websites that report on the SuperData numbers. They all must be suckers eh? To report on false data like that? xD

Gotta love all those market experts that apparently are so well informed that they can handwave away any numbers that don't suit their particular vision.

Alright, back to playing that "dying" MMO!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Hmm all the facts contradict that SWTOR is healthy?  Hmm well why dont you just go right ahead and post those updated links that shows all this information you have that contradicts that SWTOR is healthy...I am sure we will all wait patiently while you search for those links...

Oh yeah, and haha all those websites that report on the SuperData numbers. They all must be suckers eh? To report on false data like that? xD

Gotta love all those market experts that apparently are so well informed that they can handwave away any numbers that don't suit their particular vision.

Alright, back to playing that "dying" MMO!

I know right?!?!  You would think going on FOUR YEARS people would move on with their lives, give up on bashing a video game they dont play, and accept that SWTOR is not dead, is not dying and is doing just fine.  

I just got out of a DP run, right before that was doing the Rakgoul event that was packed i believe 4 or 5 instances, ran some HM FP with a wait time of about 3 min, and if i wasnt going to hockey there were people looking for other OPS runs.  Sounds like a dying game to me lol...

But I cant wait to see the factual information they are going to bring...this should be good...or we will just be waiting forever because they are talking out of their A$$es and stuck in 2011!!  

Yeah, I have no problem doing any activities that I want to do, whether it's running an Op, HM FP or some warzone PvP (can't speak for the ranked WZ since I've barely touched them). And I'm a DPS that PuGs most of the time. So it's not like I'm cruising by on the benefit of being a tank (which are notorious for easy grouping in 90% of the MMO's out there, since people don't play them much and you usually need one for group content).

The event's indeed packed, and even in the wee morning hours there's a ton of people in those tunnels.

When there's that many people online every day it's not hard to believe those numbers. But of course the armchair analysts that don't even play the game would know better, right?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    They get their numbers from Quarterly reports that publicly traded companies are required by law to provide.  Square Enix is privately owned and does not have to share these numbers, and probably never will really.  I can tell from just running around in FFXIV during the free weekend last weekend, I think more people are playing on the server I was on than before.  Ul'dah in midday used to have like maybe 100 people, now it's like 2,000.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I like SWTOR and do play from time to time, but being the 4th biggest MMO is a stretch.  Maybe it is by people using that site but I don't.  I do think SWTOR is still healthy for the servers it has but overall 4th largest...no way.

Also I play ffxiv and I have noticed that the server I am on has more people then 2 months ago.  It isn't this largest server but it is still nice to have people around.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

I just had an epiphany, I know why mmo's can't design their way out of wet paper bags anymore, they use super data as market research. mystery solved.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

I like SWTOR and do play from time to time, but being the 4th biggest MMO is a stretch.  Maybe it is by people using that site but I don't.  I do think SWTOR is still healthy for the servers it has but overall 4th largest...no way.

Also I play ffxiv and I have noticed that the server I am on has more people then 2 months ago.  It isn't this largest server but it is still nice to have people around.

I don't thik it's a site anyone uses as such.  More something they refer to when wanting a bit of publicity.  The disclaimer on the site is that they aquire information from some unknown 'big publishers'(this is unlikely to be anyone that you or I would call a 'big publisher' and highly unlikely anything from ea).  At the time when that number was first release(If I remember it was around may lsat year) the disclaimer wasn't even that good and more just unknown sources.  But swtor would have had a bigger playerbase then.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Please go look at the ads on this site lol...FFXIV has more people then 2 months ago?   No way that could because of the FREE TRIAL!!! But hey glad you could get your shot in on SWTOR and plug FFXIV a bit.  

Here let me nuke SWtOR and not plug anything else: SWtOR is a shit game, it took the worse bits of the NGE and the shittiest bits of KotOR 2 in terms of story and mashed them together and you get a massive amount of shitty storytelling for anyone that is above 12 or isn't a star wars fan... I've played the damn thing and the only storyline that has some sparks of originality and choices which aren't "bang the old creepy sith lady" (sith warrior storyline, early bit too) or just plain cliche up the arse is the Jedi Knight one and even that is passable due to actual choices like say turn in a pair of jedis who fell in love with one another or not (now that's a bloody choice, shame the game somehow thinks that there's a dark side option in there). And in terms of mechanics it is as safe as Episode 1 was. 

Oh and personal pet peeve: You had somewhat explicit sex scenes in Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 but in the TORTANIC you fade to black before anything happens... I get that it's supposed to be for teens as well but christ what teen does not know about what a pecker is good for?

SWtOR is as I expected it would be from my first beta weekend in it: A bland, uninspiring, safe and utterly forgettable game. It currently only lives because of its IP otherwise it would've faded to obscurity faster than similar WoW clones (make no mistake here this is mechanically a 1:1 clone).

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Please go look at the ads on this site lol...FFXIV has more people then 2 months ago?   No way that could because of the FREE TRIAL!!! But hey glad you could get your shot in on SWTOR and plug FFXIV a bit.  

Here let me nuke SWtOR and not plug anything else: SWtOR is a shit game, it took the worse bits of the NGE and the shittiest bits of KotOR 2 in terms of story and mashed them together and you get a massive amount of shitty storytelling for anyone that is above 12 or isn't a star wars fan... I've played the damn thing and the only storyline that has some sparks of originality and choices which aren't "bang the old creepy sith lady" (sith warrior storyline, early bit too) or just plain cliche up the arse is the Jedi Knight one and even that is passable due to actual choices like say turn in a pair of jedis who fell in love with one another or not (now that's a bloody choice, shame the game somehow thinks that there's a dark side option in there). And in terms of mechanics it is as safe as Episode 1 was. 

Oh and personal pet peeve: You had somewhat explicit sex scenes in Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 but in the TORTANIC you fade to black before anything happens... I get that it's supposed to be for teens as well but christ what teen does not know about what a pecker is good for?

SWtOR is as I expected it would be from my first beta weekend in it: A bland, uninspiring, safe and utterly forgettable game. It currently only lives because of its IP otherwise it would've faded to obscurity faster than similar WoW clones (make no mistake here this is mechanically a 1:1 clone).

Well I hope you feel better after that little tirade...Its weird how a video game can make a person that angry you may want to get that check out...

No kidding, hope I never get that way.  I like SWTOR, you don't and that is fine.  But being that angry about a game is not good.

Oh and Allday88, I don't have actual numbers but I do play the game during prime time and I can tell the increase in players at least for my server.  Not sure about the other servers since I am not on them but from what I see on their forums it seems that there is an increase in players, but until actual numbers are released (Yoshi did say about a month ago they had over 2 million accounts) we will not know.

Yeah first there is no chance that I would EVER get that emotional about a video game.  If some freak event happened and I did I would be hanging up video games for ever.  Its really sad that people get that way though.  

There's a lot of people with anger management issues out there... add in the anonymity of the internet... et voila.

Some even take it to the next level and start threatening developers and their families.