Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Doing Well / New Story Content?

BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Since the game is doing so well will we ever see new class/companion stories or do you think it is cartel market full steam ahead?

IMHO story is the ONLY thing that they do well.  I would love to have more story ;D.

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

The game is doing well and there are people playing on every planet I have been to.  You wont see any more added to the individual class stories, that kind of development cost too much money.  The best you can hope for is more like Rise of the Hutt Cartel where there is one new story added and all classes play the same one. 

For free, playing the storyline for the classes cant be beat.  I loved the BH, Trooper, Agent and Smuggler stories.  If you play your free PVP and flashpoints each week/month you can level enough to stay with the class stories and not have to spend a dime. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Beyorn

Since the game is doing so well will we ever see new class/companion stories or do you think it is cartel market full steam ahead?

IMHO story is the ONLY thing that they do well.  I would love to have more story ;D.

We'll get more story, but it'll all be Makeb style I'm afraid.*

I'm personally hoping they'll eventually compromise and go with a more "hybrid" system, where most of the storyline is the same, but you get a few unique missions depending on your class, along with some companion interaction.

Sadly I don't see a full return to class stories happening. :(

Although it certainly can't hurt to keep badgering them about it and letting them know that's what we want.

* Which isn't all that terrible, but it certainly lacks replay value.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628
    The latest pts build features class based mail from npcs that you met during the class story, but very unlikely to ever see full on chapters again.
  • WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    We will probably see a new companion. Class stories on the other hand will probably never happen.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Talonsin

The game is doing well and there are people playing on every planet I have been to.  You wont see any more added to the individual class stories, that kind of development cost too much money.  The best you can hope for is more like Rise of the Hutt Cartel where there is one new story added and all classes play the same one. 

For free, playing the storyline for the classes cant be beat.  I loved the BH, Trooper, Agent and Smuggler stories.  If you play your free PVP and flashpoints each week/month you can level enough to stay with the class stories and not have to spend a dime. 

Or you know.  You could just pay the measly $15 on a game you are enjoying and not bend around the restrictions.  I can't play it without the sub.  Not sure how anyone could enjoy it.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by augustgrace
    The latest pts build features class based mail from npcs that you met during the class story, but very unlikely to ever see full on chapters again.

That is painfully inadequate. The average forum poster could write an in-game story e-mail letter for each of the 8 classes in about an hour. And this is 9 major content patches after the launch of Makeb.

Speaking of new story content... http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20140731

It's starting to sound more and more like Manaan will be the "Rise of the Hutt Cartel" sized expansion that we'll be getting later this year. I guess Manaan won't be just another dailies area after all. :P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

It's getting exciting. Looks to me that I am going to be very busy in SWTOR for the next few months with housing, and I hope I will have enough time to play Inquisition before expansion arrives.

And all these emails "you bave been chosen" I am getting make me even more excited.

As a bioWare huge fam... it seems that we are for an awesome timeimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Speaking of new story content... http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20140731

It's starting to sound more and more like Manaan will be the "Rise of the Hutt Cartel" sized expansion that we'll be getting later this year. I guess Manaan won't be just another dailies area after all. :P

its interesting that they went out of their way on last weeks stream to say that manaan would be a flashpoint only, but then they went and made a whole area to travel to for it which would indicate they have more plans for it. heres hoping

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/26/swtor-manaan-flashpoint-vendor-items/

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I'd love it, but they have made all this money without adding any new class/companion content since launch...they might think they don't need to.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I'd love it, but they have made all this money without adding any new class/companion content since launch...they might think they don't need to.

As long as people are spending 20 bucks on single use dyes then they probably don't think they need to.

Originally posted by Frostvein

As long as people are spending 20 bucks on single use dyes then they probably don't think they need to.

Ah yes, SWTOR's dye system... my most hated feature. The one I'll gladly give the award for "Worst Dye System ever seen in an MMO" to.

Shame they didn't follow GW2's excellent example there. They could've still made money while keeping their players happy.

Then again... I vastly prefer SWTOR's armor customization system over GW2's, after recently buying a skin on GW2 for one of my lowbie characters I was painfully reminded how much their system with the highly limited change appearance tokens sucks.

So my awesome store bought skin is pretty much useless until I get to max level and get a somewhat permanent armor set. Unless I give in and buy more tokens from the cash shop every 5 levels when I upgrade my armor... considering the level cap is level 80, that'd be a pricey affair. (Probably way above the stupid 20 dollar black/black dye from SWTOR)

While on SWTOR I can design my character's looks from level 1 and keep them throughout the rest of the game with minimum effort.

Pros and cons. =/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Ah yes, SWTOR's dye system... my most hated feature. The one I'll gladly give the award for "Worst Dye System ever seen in an MMO" to.

Shame they didn't follow GW2's excellent example there. They could've still made money while keeping their players happy.

Then again... I vastly prefer SWTOR's armor customization system over GW2's, after recently buying a skin on GW2 for one of my lowbie characters I was painfully reminded how much their system with the highly limited change appearance tokens sucks.

So my awesome store bought skin is pretty much useless until I get to max level and get a somewhat permanent armor set. Unless I give in and buy more tokens from the cash shop every 5 levels when I upgrade my armor... considering the level cap is level 80, that'd be a pricey affair. (Probably way above the stupid 20 dollar black/black dye from SWTOR)

While on SWTOR I can design my character's looks from level 1 and keep them throughout the rest of the game with minimum effort.

Pros and cons. =/

I made about 50 of the sub-max level armor reskin stones just from questing and playing the game on one character, so you shouldn't have a problem IMO, then you just need one max stone when you actually hit cap. 

SWTOR dye is absolutely trash though. It's made with the least amount of customization and most amount of monetization that they could possibly come up with. And then you have people in threads like http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=754834 actually DEFENDING the $20 price of single-use black dye. It's obvious all that dye money isn't being funneled back into game development and it's just going to EA at this point. Shaking my head, all day long.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Impacthound
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Pros and cons. =/

I made about 50 of the sub-max level armor reskin stones just from questing and playing the game on one character, so you shouldn't have a problem IMO, then you just need one max stone when you actually hit cap. 

SWTOR dye is absolutely trash though. It's made with the least amount of customization and most amount of monetization that they could possibly come up with. And then you have people in threads like http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=754834 actually DEFENDING the $20 price of single-use black dye. It's obvious all that dye money isn't being funneled back into game development and it's just going to EA at this point. Shaking my head, all day long.

I totally agree with all the hate for the Dye monetization, but with 2 expacs a year going on, the money actually does appear to be going into the game.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Tyggs

I totally agree with all the hate for the Dye monetization, but with 2 expacs a year going on, the money actually does appear to be going into the game.

I disagree with using the term "expacs" for what are actually content patches, because it implies there's more content being added than there is. In 2013, Rise of the Hutt Cartel was an expac with 5 more character levels, another multi-zone planet, two new game systems(macrobinoculars and seeker droid). Galactic Starfighter was just a patch with one game system added(pvp ship combat). Strongholds are going to be another new game system being added, but it's just a content patch, not a full-on expansion.

I'd also cite the patch numbers as a standard. The version number jump to 2.0 marked an expac. anything 2.x is a patch. 3.0, whenever it happens, will be the second expac. As big as you may feel Starfighter is to the game, it's roughly the same file size and time spent as Seeker Droiding alone, or Macrobinocularing(up or down, depending on what you actually like doing in game)

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

The good news is that the new expansion is coming this year. I was pretty sure that they were going to delay it after they announced delay in releasing Galactic Stronghold. Also, just so you guys know they stated that there will be some changes to classes coming in patch 2.10 as well as in new expansion. They explained on PTS why changes were not coming in patch 2.9, but in a way they gave up some info as well

• Game Update 2.9 – Is a large Digital Expansion that brings loads of new features to mess around with. With so much going on in the update we knew we would get very little testing on any class changes on PTS. As such, we felt it would be risky to make any class adjustments in 2.9.
    • Game Update 2.10 is close! – We have bumped any class changes we were considering for 2.9 into Game Update 2.10. The reason is that 2.10 is only a few weeks later (currently slated for September 9th) and allows to give some “breathing room” around 2.9’s large update. While I am setting expectations, I want you to know that the class changes in 2.10, although there are quite a few, they are not extremely robust either. There is a good reason for that though…
    • Expansion! – As you might expect, I can’t go into details yet. However it is safe to say that when our “Rise-like expansion” comes later this year, you can expect quite a lot of class changes
    P.S. That means for me that Dragon Age Inquisition before expansion and The Witcher 3 after expansion... busy, busy, busy....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

The good news is that the new expansion is coming this year. I was pretty sure that they were going to delay it after they announced delay in releasing Galactic Stronghold. Also, just so you guys know they stated that there will be some changes to classes coming in patch 2.10 as well as in new expansion. They explained on PTS why changes were not coming in patch 2.9, but in a way they gave up some info as well

• Game Update 2.9 – Is a large Digital Expansion that brings loads of new features to mess around with. With so much going on in the update we knew we would get very little testing on any class changes on PTS. As such, we felt it would be risky to make any class adjustments in 2.9.
    • Game Update 2.10 is close! – We have bumped any class changes we were considering for 2.9 into Game Update 2.10. The reason is that 2.10 is only a few weeks later (currently slated for September 9th) and allows to give some “breathing room” around 2.9’s large update. While I am setting expectations, I want you to know that the class changes in 2.10, although there are quite a few, they are not extremely robust either. There is a good reason for that though…
    • Expansion! – As you might expect, I can’t go into details yet. However it is safe to say that when our “Rise-like expansion” comes later this year, you can expect quite a lot of class changes
    P.S. That means for me that Dragon Age Inquisition before expansion and The Witcher 3 after expansion... busy, busy, busy....

Sounds like we're all in for a treat during the late fall/early winter months. image

And then there's Bioware's mysterious new title slowly revealing itself. (Though I'm guessing it'll be a year or two before that one goes live)