Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE online is losing players, many lost in past year

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

...Anyway, it's July. EVE players are always less active in July. They're probably on a beach somewhere with their families or BBQing in their backyard. My educated guess is that the same is true for most MMOs...

Indeed. 

I'm at the point now where I expect to see this thread pop up every year around this time. Let's not even get into how bad a winter North Americans suffered this year. People game less when the warm weather of summer arrives. D'uh.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• anegessseo888anegessseo888 Member Posts: 7
    EVE is an order game, losing subs is very normal, the same thing is happening to World of Warcraft. EVE should offer updates more frequently, its a good way to improve this situation.

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.buy wow gold

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I quit for good and here's why.

The game has matured to the point that everyone who is going to own somewhere already owns it and no-one trusts anyone new to join a corp where it matters and be allowed to do anything.  So, you either create a corp that will never make anything in the world, you join a corp that does trust you and give you some rights to do things, but they won't ever be important and they know it, or you manage to get into an decent established corp and end up being a grunt that does work for the bosses.

Adding to that, the griefing, cheating and nastiness of the players associated with some of the big corps, e.g. Goongimps, and there really is no reason to play because the game is too far gone in terms of power-distributions i.e. the lunatics now run the asylum.

If they created a new server that was like a reset, I'd go and play it because there genuinely would be a chance to do something.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

No one can be forced to play a game. People will always come and try a game. Eventually they will pause or stop. The question is:

How many people do you really need to play with as it's unlikely that you'll play with every single player out there?

Play the game because you like playing it. Join a corporation if you want to achieve something. If you join a big corporation you'll have to spend quite some time working your way up the ranks. Join a smaller corporation and try to pull off something by rallying together its other members. You can't simply sit there and expect to get things shoved up your backside.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its simple: The main reason is its old. Some might ask then "Why does wow continue to boast a large player pool (though dropping steadily)" I think the issue is Eve is pretty much a 'be established in an established organization or go no where' type game, all at fault of it being a sandbox game as it is. This makes it MUCH harder for new players to get into it.

WoW tends to get a steady stream of new people trying it since "it was the biggest thing" so long ago and with friends peeking back in for nostaligia, I'm more then certain that their claim of subs being so high, a lot higher amount of those numbers are actually different people at different times jumping in and out rather then a steady number of the same players. Eve doesn't have that to its benefit as it doesn't baby' people in to be pretty much on par within an extremely short time. Granted its a part of why wow has players sub and unsub rather quickly from the game (another big issue), its still something Eve doesn't have to its advantage. The two act in extremes of one another, with Eve's model happening to be the worst of the two in keeping its numbers steady.

I'll admit, I do feel Eve isn't a very good game, in fact its quite a lack luster game. Still it is one people gravitate seeking a Space focused experience that unfortunately has been neglected.  With more games like Star Citizen seeking to make more games available in the genre, I'm certain many just don't feel the need to jump back in Eve. I do feel Eve has its place (if there is one thing that is strong, its the element of trade and economy that I feel can be praised to a good extent) but unfortunately its age hurts its further. I don't think it will completely fall apart anytime soon, but its likely its numbers will thin until only the most hardcore of those who enjoy its economy system will be around. 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

the name of the reason is the one and only STAR CITIZEN

but if CCP get their act together, finally do something with avatars and cockpits, they can get easily back their players

like Valkyrie but within Eve client

I´d resub for a cool WIS expansion in a heartbeat

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I think the issue is Eve is pretty much a 'be established in an established organization or go no where' type game, all at fault of it being a sandbox game as it is. This makes it MUCH harder for new players to get into it.

RvB, Brave Newbies, Redemption Road, Dreddit... 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I think the issue is Eve is pretty much a 'be established in an established organization or go no where' type game, all at fault of it being a sandbox game as it is. This makes it MUCH harder for new players to get into it.

RvB, Brave Newbies, Redemption Road, Dreddit... 

Brave Newbies and Dreddit were created on the benevolent feelings of N3 and CFC.

We saw what happened when Dreddit decided to 'branch out' and attack their creators though; get kicked out of 0.0 and die (well, lose 90% of its members and slum out in Low-Sec).

Heck, even N3 admitted BNI only exists to 'provide content' ie. Farm kills.

Not familiar with Redemption Road; are they 0.0?

RvB might as well be a 'player created BG in WoW' with its enforced 'no X type of ship allowed' playstyle.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by DocBrody

but if CCP get their act together, finally do something with avatars and cockpits, they can get easily back their players

Fortunately, this will never happen. They know better than that.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by jpnz

Brave Newbies and Dreddit were created on the benevolent feelings of N3 and CFC.

We saw what happened when Dreddit decided to 'branch out' and attack their creators though; get kicked out of 0.0 and die (well, lose 90% of its members and slum out in Low-Sec).

Heck, even N3 admitted BNI only exists to 'provide content' ie. Farm kills.

Not familiar with Redemption Road; are they 0.0?

RvB might as well be a 'player created BG in WoW' with its enforced 'no X type of ship allowed' playstyle.

Yeah. There are lots of well organised and noob friendly corps and alliances. Reducing gameplay to 0.0 theatrical politics from day one is not a good start for a long term gameplay. And I am also not sure that being a zerg drone stuffed with cheap ships to "blow shit up" is the best way to learn all the ins and outs of EvE. But that might be only me.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Rylah

Yeah. There are lots of well organised and noob friendly corps and alliances. 

Agreed. Here is a link to quite a few of them. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Its an Open World PVP game.  How many successful OWPVP games can you name?  The big news is not that its dying.  The big news is that it took so long.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Malcanis

I think you may be the only person ever to describe Incarna as a "successful" expansion

Ups, my bad. I meant Incrusion expansion.

Incarna delivered underwhelming 3rd person experience and it was released with a lot of technical issues. It was a mess, completely mismanaged.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

All I can say is that I restarted eve again on the free 21 day trial and I am having a blast.

Z.

CCP Seagull confirmed yesterday that there will be a change to sov mechanics this year.  I very much hope that, whatever this change is, it provides a powerful incentive to break up the mega coalitions and drives a more diverse political map. 

That has nothing to do with game mechanics.

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226

Eve is a great game. its sad they are losing players. I wonder why that is? I cant say what i really think or i get a warning for trolling. If your familiar with the game you know why its losing players.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I used to have 6 account 4 of wich i payed with isk for plex.
    Today i have 3 accounts active and soon none at all.

Null sec stagnation lack of new contend added to the game (lol ghost sites) and increased plex prices up to 800mill is eating away tons of players who not only get bored but also doesnt want to spend these absurd ammount of isk for 1 plex for their alt account/s.

The lackluster expansion or rebalance expansions with limited new and exciting elements is making Eve realy realy hard to enjoy.

Nullsec / Wormholes / Faction Warfare / Sov mechanics they all need tons and tons of work.
    Yet CCP keeps funding these flop games like WoD / Dust / Phoenix with Eve cashcow money and doesnt give much back to their core eve players.

Eve is in a sad state right now.
    It shall not die anytime soon, and 1 solid expansions makes people resub faster then the speed of light.
    But CCP realy needs to get their shit together and start making AWESOME expansions.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Originally posted by Horusra
    I do not know anyone that talks about the great PvE in Eve.

Probably because everyone's too busy trying to correct stupid 'EVE is anti newbie, only PVP' posts

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

This game hasn't progressed as much as expected in the amount of time it has been out. What it comes down to is basically it's getting stale and people just move on.

Okay so they started as a game where you fly with spaceships, allright cool, but why do you have to keep beating that same dead horse for 10 years?

For me personally, this is what I would expect from a space game that has been out so long:

- direct input flying with WASD similar to a plane, instead of point and click.

- less warp gating, more direct interaction with environment. The current game feels like I'm a spectator, not a player.

- the ability to travel to planets and explore (a small segment of) them on foot.

Originally posted by crasset15
    This game hasn't progressed as much as expected in the amount of time it has been out. What it comes down to is basically it's getting stale and people just move on.Okay so they started as a game where you fly with spaceships, allright cool, but why do you have to keep beating that same dead horse for 10 years?For me personally, this is what I would expect from a space game that has been out so long:- direct input flying with WASD similar to a plane, instead of point and click.- less warp gating, more direct interaction with environment. The current game feels like I'm a spectator, not a player.- the ability to travel to planets and explore (a small segment of) them on foot.

You just want to play entirely different type of game...not EVE's fault tho.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Star citizens won't see their game for AT LEAST a year, and it'll probably be longer than that.

Elite and No Mans Star, now - those are real competition

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Gdemami

CCP Seagull confirmed yesterday that there will be a change to sov mechanics this year.  I very much hope that, whatever this change is, it provides a powerful incentive to break up the mega coalitions and drives a more diverse political map. 

That has nothing to do with game mechanics.

It has a lot to do with game mechanics.

The current way to win in SOV wars is that you need a shitton of capitals and then some more. Especially Supercaps. And when you have more of them you win. That's it.

So to compete you need a huge industrial complex and you need to pump out supers faster than your opponent. This leads to big alliances and then to coalitions quite naturally. Smaller entities just have no chance of holding SOV when the big blocs want to have their systems. So they get either absorbed or extinct (or get ignored by all like the Provi bloc).

So what they have to change is this overwhelming superiority of supers and add an incentive for smaller player entities to go for and hold sov. Sure it would still be possible to form coalitions out of game, but when there is no real point to it people might get back to the thought of having fun on their own.

• karr1981karr1981 Member Posts: 59
    hmm i just started playing eve, i had heard rumours about issues but gonna give it a try, if you see me please dont shoot hehehe, also got my eye on seldon crisis, read about it here http://www.pcgamesn.com/seldon-crisis/illuminating-seldon-crisis-space-mmo-gunning-eve-online sounds like it could be interesting.