Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Opportunities to Expand Horizons

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Victor Barreiro Jr. describes the Hunt system of FFXIV, what changes it brings to player behavior, and why he thinks Hunts are the uncomfortable beginnings of a bigger plan to improve the game.

Check out Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Opportunities to Expand Horizons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DracogeekDracogeek Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I've been using the beast tribe quests to get the same gear. This just increases the speed of gearing up. My biggest issue with the hunt mark system is that players have been doing things like dragging adds to my pet so they don't have to deal with them, getting the mark, then leaving me with the adds. I've been getting people trying to kill steal also, in the hopes of getting hunt credit. Been starting to play as scholar more, instead of summoner, to avoid being abused by them.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Been having a good bit of fun with the hunts actually, I'm not quite 50 yet (just hit 48 last night) but you can still get credit for helping with hunts. I've managed to get a fair chunk of tomes and seals already waiting for me when I hit 50. They are a lot of fun imo, and they are rolling out some more fixes to make the system work a little bit better.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I personally am still running dungeons more than doing the hunt, because it's more fun. If I come across a mark in my travels, I'll generally shout its location and invite people to come get it. 

Hunts seem like a poorly designed system that I think should have been left out of the game entirely. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

The behavioral change caused by hunts is (I feel)  twofold and can be summed up in two sentences: “I can get what I want faster,” and “I am entitled to rewards, therefore missing out on them is a reasonable cause for anger.”

Sadly, this is likely the same reasoning people have when it came to Final Fantasy XI’s Notorious Monsters, a system I never really got to try myself.

I don't really know about your flimsy " entitled " reasoning, but you need to realize that FFXI Notorious Monsters (NM) rewards did not offer an alternative way to earn raid gear.  

Have you ever played FFXI?   Your statement makes me doubt that you have even tried it.  

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

I personally am still running dungeons more than doing the hunt, because it's more fun. If I come across a mark in my travels, I'll generally shout its location and invite people to come get it. 

Hunts seem like a poorly designed system that I think should have been left out of the game entirely. 

I actually love this kind of thing about FFXIV. Don't like doing dungeons? You can do 5 other things to advance your character. Don't wanna FATE grind? Do something else! Don't fell like wiping on Titan? Well here are 3 other ways to advance your character in the mean time. I love how FFXIV doesn't force you into one path to get to where you wanna be.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Tyggs

I actually love this kind of thing about FFXIV. Don't like doing dungeons? You can do 5 other things to advance your character. Don't wanna FATE grind? Do something else! Don't fell like wiping on Titan? Well here are 3 other ways to advance your character in the mean time. I love how FFXIV doesn't force you into one path to get to where you wanna be.

Agreed, that's the main thing I attribute it's success to. So many options, you really can't run out of stuff to do as someone who plays a few hours a day at most. At any given time I have had 4 or 5 different and good options for leveling up. It's actually overwhelming sometimes.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

No argument there, for sure.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I think the people obsessed with gear grinding and having the 'best' gear should just not play the game.

FF XIV is one of the very few recent mmorpgs that shine with lore and RP status constantly while you are playing.  Everything from the emote system, to talking with npcs, and random RP you may stumble across while playing.

The people that totally ignore the RP aspect of RPGs are the ones that ruin it for everyone.  Whether you like to RP or not - if you abide by the rules and at least respect the RPers I can guarantee you that you will enjoy yourself 100%.  It adds immersion and the 'purpose' beyond the obvious of playing the game.

I wish more people realized these things instead of literally playing the systems.  Boring people make boring gamers.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I'd like to see them keep adding open world group content. It brings the world to life, seeing various groups of people running around doing different things.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

hunt system sucks , u get top gear for zerging random mobs (think Heroic Raid gear) , and the awesome community has become angry and ppl rage at each other , blacklist ninja pullers ,ppl that reset the mob in order to get the claim... the shout chat is filled with every name on the book because ppl dont wait to pull ect, dont forget cheaters that use radars/ teleport hacks

Originally posted by Skuall

hunt system sucks , u get top gear for zerging random mobs (think Heroic Raid gear) , and the awesome community has become angry and ppl rage at each other , blacklist ninja pullers ,ppl that reset the mob in order to get the claim... the shout chat is filled with every name on the book because ppl dont wait to pull ect, dont forget cheaters that use radars/ teleport hacks

But that is the beauty of FFXIV. You don't have to do that to get the top gear. You have other options. Some people love it, more power to them. Don't like it? Do something else!

SWTOR Referral Link

Wait, why do you care about other people getting gear? I didn't know people still held on to this attitude anymore with so many games abandoning the common top tier raids = best gear system from yesteryear. Most games that have come out in the past 3-5 years offer similar gear for non raiders at this point. How is FFXIV doing any differently?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Wait, why do you care about other people getting gear? I didn't know people still held on to this attitude anymore with so many games abandoning the common top tier raids = best gear system from yesteryear. Most games that have come out in the past 3-5 years offer similar gear for non raiders at this point. How is FFXIV doing any differently?

I don't think he said anything about caring about other people getting gear. He said how silly the Hunt system is because it involves having 20-30 players zerging a fairly weak mob with more HP only to get a handful of seals, and then seeing a bunch of people whining on the shout chat because people didn't wait for him, or people blaming a specific player for having started the encounter, etc. It's pathetic, really, and I'm inclined to agree with Skuall in that the Hunt system is quite stupid because of how it has impacted the community.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The easiest way to counter this is to give the marks insanely high hp and a gradual aggressive system (or rage timer if you want to refer to FFXI). Also taking away the claim system on the markets and just giving individuals that participate in the elimination individual loot so you aren't required to party or worry about first claim and such. That was the main problems with HNMs in FFXI, which leads to botting and such.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

I don't think he said anything about caring about other people getting gear. He said how silly the Hunt system is because it involves having 20-30 players zerging a fairly weak mob with more HP only to get a handful of seals, and then seeing a bunch of people whining on the shout chat because people didn't wait for him, or people blaming a specific player for having started the encounter, etc. It's pathetic, really, and I'm inclined to agree with Skuall in that the Hunt system is quite stupid because of how it has impacted the community.

People will whine with this system or not, it s what people do. It s a great system, it allows people to casually get stuff they couldn t otherwise. I m sure they ll refine it anyways. Yet another human reaction, get all excited over nothing, especially when you know it will change for the better eventually. These are some of the many reasons I like dogs over humans.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Literally the first sentence is complaining that non raiders are getting heroic raid gear... I got the part about it being too easy, which I will agree with, the hunt marks need to get buffed up but still retain the rewards imo.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

If you are hunt grinding the entire world map, then yeah you will nerd rage. But these marks spawn constantly across all zones so if you happen to miss one its not the end of the world because oh look heres another one two minutes later. I do think its a good idea that they are working on an adjustment for now fast they die.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

As much I want open world stuff and things I loved in XI to come into XIV. Hunts are flawed not because it is bad content but because of how the game is designed. THe amount of people who prefer to do hunts over dungeons and such should prove there is a large base of people who want this kind of content in XIV.

The issues why hunts are currently flawed:

1) The open world is extremly small compaired to most mmo, so you are cramming a ton of nms into a really small area. 1 zone in XI is = to about 4 in XIV.

2) Teleportation is almost free and can take you anywhere in the open world with a press of a button. So 1000 people can converge on a nm from anywhere in the world in less then 1 min if they now the pos.

3) They are free for all coop.

4) SE designed them for 1 man content, 4 man content, and 2-3 party content.

Why are hunts failing? It is simple you are fighting a mobs designed for 1-4-24 ppl with over 100 people zerging all of them.

XIV is so focused on no one getting left out, and everyone has to be equal to everyone else. This style of content will just never work the way it should be.

Only way to fix open world hunts would be to limit transportation to say 5 times per 24hrs and add a claim system to nms. Or make them force spawns.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    We'll have to see what kind of adjustments they're making to the Elite Marks on the 29th.  They said adding more HP isn't the solution, so I wonder what is.  I wonder if they're going to be adding more seals to the daily and weekly hunts as well.
    Originally posted by nbtscan
    We'll have to see what kind of adjustments they're making to the Elite Marks on the 29th.  They said adding more HP isn't the solution, so I wonder what is.  I wonder if they're going to be adding more seals to the daily and weekly hunts as well.

Making them hit REALLY hard would stop the mass zerg and force some organization as actual battle tactics would be required.

SWTOR Referral Link

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    More defense and hp will ALWAYS solve the problem, whoever on their team said otherwise should be fired. Also add more one-shot abilities.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

A lot of people have to remember that 2.3, like the previous odd number 2.1, is a bridge patch.

People flipped out when gear was easier to acquire in 2.1 and come 2.2 it didn't matter.  I have a feeling this won't be a huge deal in 2.4.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

The core problem with the feature is the community.  Because the system gives access to items that were previously pretty hard to come by, a lot of end game players are grinding/forcing  the system.

Because of this, groups of players feel entitled to every friggin spawn that just so happens during his/her play session.  I am very turned-off by some of these awful attitudes.

This is why we can't have nice things :)

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

adjustments to elite mark systems is coming already on 29th July Maintinance, read the official website :P

and no they will not increase the HP of monster, they already stated that. However, they did not state HOW they will address it but I feel now next few days expect an all out nerd rage coming with all people trying to get as much seals before the fix on 29th XD

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Making them hit REALLY hard would stop the mass zerg and force some organization as actual battle tactics would be required.

Probably wouldn't work. When a mob is meant for a certain amount of players it hard to balance, especially in an open world setting. Zerging makes everything easier.