Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Played the Destiny beta and....

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
It is Borderlands with armor upgrades.  That is the best way I can describe it. It is an ok game but it is nothing people haven't seen before. There is a lot of go fetch and go kill quests in between the main story line just like any standard mmo. Flying from planet to planet is cinematic and really disappointing.  The public events they have is pretty much like Guild Wars 2 which is pretty disappointing.  Having only 3 professions at launch is disheartening. The story is pretty good but Bungie has always told good stories. I don't see the need for multiplayer because it just gets in the way of making this a good single player game. Still on the fence about cancelling my pre-order but I wouldn't personally go out and buy a special edition of this game. I'm not sure it will be worth it in the long haul.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    It is Borderlands with armor upgrades.  That is the best way I can describe it. It is an ok game but it is nothing people haven't seen before. There is a lot of go fetch and go kill quests in between the main story line just like any standard mmo. Flying from planet to planet is cinematic and really disappointing.  The public events they have is pretty much like Guild Wars 2 which is pretty disappointing.  Having only 3 professions at launch is disheartening. The story is pretty good but Bungie has always told good stories. I don't see the need for multiplayer because it just gets in the way of making this a good single player game. Still on the fence about cancelling my pre-order but I wouldn't personally go out and buy a special edition of this game. I'm not sure it will be worth it in the long haul.

Interesting, this exact problem is what I feared for this game. Either way, if they decide to release it on PC I'll probably pick it up, because why not. I'm not going to buy a "next gen" console made from parts from yesteryear to play it though, especially if it's like every other open world shooter out there. Time will tell what Bungie can do with Destiny, but it better have a good release or we will end up with another Defiance here.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Prod1702Prod1702 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    If it doesn't come to PC I won't even be looking at it. I don't know how ppl can play a fps game without a keyboard and mouse. If it is like what you are saying it is. I would love to play it.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    It's going to be a great game, but for some like myself expectations are through the roof and it just will never live up to what I've pictured. I played the alpha and watched beta, I can tell this is a game that I will be done playing in 3 weeks if I were to purchase it. It's a good game still, but for me it's just not going to live up to the hype.
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Destiny is a lot better than most PC games. Long live the glorious #bungieconsolemasterrace
  • TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Originally posted by Prod1702
    If it doesn't come to PC I won't even be looking at it. I don't know how ppl can play a fps game without a keyboard and mouse. If it is like what you are saying it is. I would love to play it.

Next-Gen consoles support mouse and keyboard.....

I personally find the game to be fantastic. It is like Halo evolved to a solid all around experience. Strikes (Group finder missions) are challanging and fun. The pvp is engaging and visceral. I am having a blast personally. Sure, it is nothing that hasn't been done before, but it is well done in every aspect.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    No Tweet results for #bungieconsolemasterrace.
    Originally posted by mistafist
    No Tweet results for #bungieconsolemasterrace.

http://www.reddit.com/r/consolemasterrace/

f0r tru 30fpss cinematic epxerince at 72000p

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Crusades
    It's going to be a great game, but for some like myself expectations are through the roof and it just will never live up to what I've pictured. I played the alpha and watched beta, I can tell this is a game that I will be done playing in 3 weeks if I were to purchase it. It's a good game still, but for me it's just not going to live up to the hype.

Yeah I would stay you are right. It will not take long to finish the story and all you will be left doing is doing a bunch of fedex quests and get into some pvp if that is what you like to do. Other than that i think this game will be short lived for most. You finish the game and set it aside until the dust starts to accumulate on the box.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

I played it for the first time yesterday and had quite a different experience.

I found it Halo online. I only reached level five due to doing a lot of exploration and spending time just wandering around. Mobs were very much Halo style and the AI also seemed straight from Halo.

What I did like was the variety of weapons, though I only discovered three different types, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle and Hand Cannon... I did find multiples of each that had their own characteristics.. i.e.. faster fire rate but low damage etc. Think COD weapons.

The events were as you say straight from GW2, which isn't a bad thing for me, casual and easy to get into.

The story line was good enough as it had a few tough encounters that you couldn't just run into blindly. I needed to use cover etc. I also like the fact that if you went exploring the same map you could find elite mobs that were of an obvious higher level and ripped you apart... bit like early Everquest, though I am not in any way comparing this to EQ :)

I was a tad disappointed with the Character advancement side. Once you level and get experience I had to spend it on the next skill in line rather than save points towards a different type of skill. Much prefer a choice.

On a whole though I have to say I found it an enjoyable game that for a console is a breath of fresh air. Felt like a user friendly MMORPG.

And also it is still Beta remember :)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by allday88

Well I guess I would disagree. To me this was Halo on steroids! You have a lot of halo, some borderlands and some mmo aspects. Not sure about the "fetch quest" but I got to level cap ran the story as far as the beta allowed, did the open quest area, grouped up and did devils layer and not once did I have to "fetch" anything. I had to kill some guys and collect items from them, I had to investigate certain areas, but "fetch" nope not true.

Devils layer was intense from the beginning to the end.  Epic battle after epic battle.  The difficulty was there I do think the boss battles last a little too long though.  Just going around and looking at all the items you can get (mmo aspect) from armour, guns, mounts, ships, emblems ect ect the customization looks to be plentiful.  This was a beta that showed us less than half the game (capped at level 8) I have not had this much fun in a shooter/rpg in a long time.  Can't wait for it's release.  

I am sure there will be people who will love this game but for me personally the game has no heart and soul to it. I f you think it was Halo on steroid then please give me Halo 5 Guardians instead. I would rather have the real thing.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I doubt players were expecting anything different from this title. I wasn't.

Single player console games have more freedom than this MMO. it is sad how the word MMO has become equivalent of 'restrictive' both on PC and console while single players games are getting bigger and offer more freedom to players.

• MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I am sure there will be people who will love this game but for me personally the game has no heart and soul to it. I f you think it was Halo on steroid then please give me Halo 5 Guardians instead. I would rather have the real thing.

Hahaha Halo 5 is a joke. There is no Halo without Bungie. Halo Wars was made by 343 industries and sucked. Halo 4 same developer and it was just Call of Halo.

Originally posted by Mirathel

Hahaha Halo 5 is a joke. There is no Halo without Bungie. Halo Wars was made by 343 industries and sucked. Halo 4 same developer and it was just Call of Halo.

Hmmm. I guess opinions really do differ. I thought Halo 4 was the best one since the first Halo, and I put many hours into Halo Wars as well, was one of the only good console RTS games out there!

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Unfortunately, as a Halo fan, I have to agree. Halo 4 story was tolerable, but the gameplay just was as good as 3. Destiny has the smooth gameplay of Halo that I loved.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Tyggs

Unfortunately, as a Halo fan, I have to agree. Halo 4 story was tolerable, but the gameplay just was as good as 3. Destiny has the smooth gameplay of Halo that I loved.

Ah I didn't think about that. I was always far more into the online component of the Halo games, I don't think I have done a campaign in since 3.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

What's really disappointing to me is the MMO community and this view of new games. Does something have to be completely new with never seen before elements to be enjoyed? Can we not just enjoy a game for what it is based on it's own merits rather then comparing it with every gods-damned game that came before it? 

It's like a game comes out, has a quest hub and people say "well, fuck this game... been there done that, I'm out" and move on. Holy Jebus fucking christ on a pogo-stick people... is this what we've become? I read these forums everyday and actual quake and shutter for the developers. There is no way to make people happy. I mean... at all. 

I'm a fan of movies and comics. I can't tell you how many times I see a movie and based on the fact that every plot has been done to death, I can kinda figure out where the story is going. Does that mean I don't enjoy the movie? Nope. It absolutely doesn't. I watch the movie and judge it for what it is. If I enjoy it, I enjoy it. Same goes with comic books. I read comics all the time that recycle things like crazy over and over. I still enjoy them. 

What I'm saying is that I personally can enjoy the shit outta a game, even if it's a clone of another game as long as it keeps me interested. I think the sad fact is that a lot of you flat out hate the genre and just don't want to admit it. 

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

I'm actually sitting here at work because I cant wait to finish to have another go.

Reason = because its just like a lot of other games I have already played. Loved Halo, this game plays the same.

Love FPS games, this plays like one.

Love exploration, found plenty to do so far.

Love a tough game, hmm not so tough but there are tough mobs I have came across and I am hoping once it's released we will see more hidden mobs etc.

Originally posted by Havekk

What's really disappointing to me is the MMO community and this view of new games. Does something have to be completely new with never seen before elements to be enjoyed? Can we not just enjoy a game for what it is based on it's own merits rather then comparing it with every gods-damned game that came before it? 

It's like a game comes out, has a quest hub and people say "well, fuck this game... been there done that, I'm out" and move on. Holy Jebus fucking christ on a pogo-stick people... is this what we've become? I read these forums everyday and actual quake and shutter for the developers. There is no way to make people happy. I mean... at all. 

I'm a fan of movies and comics. I can't tell you how many times I see a movie and based on the fact that every plot has been done to death, I can kinda figure out where the story is going. Does that mean I don't enjoy the movie? Nope. It absolutely doesn't. I watch the movie and judge it for what it is. If I enjoy it, I enjoy it. Same goes with comic books. I read comics all the time that recycle things like crazy over and over. I still enjoy them. 

What I'm saying is that I personally can enjoy the shit outta a game, even if it's a clone of another game as long as it keeps me interested. I think the sad fact is that a lot of you flat out hate the genre and just don't want to admit it. 

You are well within your right to like a game others don't like. I don't see a problem here or why you are angry at people for not being okay with recycled game design? If we truly hated the genre we wouldn't be playing other games in the genre either.

I just don't understand the point of this rant. Of course not everyone is going to like one game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ThomasN7 It is Borderlands with armor upgrades.  That is the best way I can describe it. It is an ok game but it is nothing people haven't seen before. There is a lot of go fetch and go kill quests in between the main story line just like any standard mmo. Flying from planet to planet is cinematic and really disappointing.  The public events they have is pretty much like Guild Wars 2 which is pretty disappointing.  Having only 3 professions at launch is disheartening. The story is pretty good but Bungie has always told good stories. I don't see the need for multiplayer because it just gets in the way of making this a good single player game. Still on the fence about cancelling my pre-order but I wouldn't personally go out and buy a special edition of this game. I'm not sure it will be worth it in the long haul.

I wouldn't let a handful of cynics get you down. Because literally that's all there is on this site at least; 5 or 6 people who shit on everything. It just seems like a lot more because they all chime in on just about every thread that allows them to post something negative. The actual majority around here is fairly positive.
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by ThomasN7 It is Borderlands with armor upgrades.  That is the best way I can describe it. It is an ok game but it is nothing people haven't seen before. There is a lot of go fetch and go kill quests in between the main story line just like any standard mmo. Flying from planet to planet is cinematic and really disappointing.  The public events they have is pretty much like Guild Wars 2 which is pretty disappointing.  Having only 3 professions at launch is disheartening. The story is pretty good but Bungie has always told good stories. I don't see the need for multiplayer because it just gets in the way of making this a good single player game. Still on the fence about cancelling my pre-order but I wouldn't personally go out and buy a special edition of this game. I'm not sure it will be worth it in the long haul.

I wouldn't let a handful of cynics get you down. Because literally that's all there is on this site at least; 5 or 6 people who shit on everything. It just seems like a lot more because they all chime in on just about every thread that allows them to post something negative. The actual majority around here is fairly positive.

Forum burn out happens often around here. The negativity drives me away for weeks or months sometimes. As Foom said, most of the posts around here are positive, so if it's just a case of dealing with angry people all day on this forum (and a lot of them are just trying to rain on people's parades), try to let it roll off your back, duck style!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Destiny seriously needs a higher default Field of View. Fanboys on the Destiny forums keep crying that consoles dont need fov because it uses more resources blah blah blah.

I am really starting to question why did i purchase a next generation console that apparently can only handle last generation features only with better graphics. If i dont see real next gen features within the next year i will probably sell my ps4 and get a WiiU for the good old Nintendo exclusives.

So far every game coming out has some things that should have been improved for next gen but they arent.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Telil

I'm actually sitting here at work because I cant wait to finish to have another go.

Reason = because its just like a lot of other games I have already played. Loved Halo, this game plays the same.

Love FPS games, this plays like one.

Love exploration, found plenty to do so far.

Love a tough game, hmm not so tough but there are tough mobs I have came across and I am hoping once it's released we will see more hidden mobs etc.

I agree with this, but as far as toughness goes, that's at least something that can be scaled. There are already different difficulty levels build into Fireteams, etc. I think it can be increased if necessary. I see the multiplayer as an opportunity to make a game that is much tougher than a solo experience. Whether or not they do that? idk. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

I am having a blast in Alpha and now in Beta. I upgraded my "normal" version to a digital deluxe version, cause I really like this game.

We just saw a glimpse of the story and I cant wait to see what is going to come in future updates.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I simply just cannot play a FPS on a console.  Some of the opinions I'm hearing doesn't make it sound like the "second coming" either.

I think this game will do a good job of enticing the CoD players (because they probably want something new and different) and the Borderlands players.  (because it seems to be very similar in nature)  I'll give this game a try probably whenever they decide to release it for PC.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Time will tell how well received this game is after release.

I could never play it on a console because quite frankly, I suck with a controller. To the person who said that the newer generation consoles support a mouse and keyboard, the older generation does too. The question is whether or not, the game developer will support mouse and keyboard.

As far as the next-gen consoles go, pretty much the only thing they have over the older generation when it comes down to it is the ability to antialias and perform better graphically. Graphics are what take the vast majority of that horsepower and you get a decent amount of it for the price point.

You won't see any kind of revolution in gaming that the older generation console is incapable of doing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee