Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert: North American & EU Publisher Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

2P.com is reporting that the publishers for both the North American and European versions of Black Desert Online have been revealed. According to the site, Daum Communications will be publishing the game in both regions. Daum is also the Korean publisher of BDO. Black Desert Online will be published by Gamenet.ru in the Russian Federation.

The Korea-based company, Daum, should not be new to people who have been keeping up with black desert news (since they have hosted two closed beta events of Black Desert Korea), but for those who don't know Daum is a web portal in South Korea, like Naver and Nate. Daum offers all sorts of services to its "netizens" (web users) like a popular free web-based e-mail, messaging service, forums, shopping and news. Daum officially marched into the game publishing industry in 2011 and is also the publisher of many online games in Korea including PlanetSide 2 and Winning Putt.

Read more at the link above and thanks to WNxbadboy3 for the tip!

Discuss it in this existing MMORPG.com thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Korean publisher for EU/US release, no - just no!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Is this the first publishing venture for Daum Communications in the Western market ? Should be interesting to watch how this unfolds, the Korean and western players are quite different I hear...
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I don't care who the publisher is. This is clearly progress and I'm looking forward to a US relase.
  • AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Don't underestimate the Koreans. They may just blow everyone out of the water and set a new benchmark for excellence. It's amazing how much is coming out of this small country. From Samsung to Hyundai to Ncsoft, that place is really taking off. I am personally really interested to see what they can do.

If they do an amazing job, it will put pressure on north American publishers to step up their game (which most need to; let's be honest). If they fail hard, then it could potentially drive more Asian games to publish through north American companies. As a gamer, I see this as a win-win.
  • GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Whats the average time span between publisher announcement till release?

And btw, I don't care if it's a new korean publisher, as long as it isn't mothereffing Gameforge for EU. Same publisher for all regions could mean, that we would get all updates/patches at the same time the koreans get em.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Lol, 2P! Very reliable source. Official info, pls!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    double post
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by WNxbadboy3
    anyone notice there site is korean so unless they translate it for us.  Yeah you get the picture . i would of perferred an NA and EU publisher. and also someone brings up a good point they where talking to publishers at E3 what happend!.

I'm sure they will make an English site (along with other languages) when the time comes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Kind of disappointing but I can't think of any company that would be willing to take on BD at the moment in NA/EU. Everyone is waiting to see if Trion can pull off AA to see if it's worth it to bother with Korean MMO's anymore I think.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Real publisher is gamescampus.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Kind of disappointing but I can't think of any company that would be willing to take on BD at the moment in NA/EU. Everyone is waiting to see if Trion can pull off AA to see if it's worth it to bother with Korean MMO's anymore I think.

dont get me wrong but i have my fingers crossed on this one too just like i had AA

RED: honestly its not up to trion they have their hands tied they cant change or add a bunch of stuff because its not theirs..thats why its "just another korean mmo" if they could do better they would no doubt..and i hope that BD wont fall to the same fate

Originally posted by BurntCabbage

dont get me wrong but i have my fingers crossed on this one too just like i had AA

RED: honestly its not up to trion they have their hands tied they cant change or add a bunch of stuff because its not theirs..thats why its "just another korean mmo" if they could do better they would no doubt..and i hope that BD wont fall to the same fate

True, it's not really up to Trion. Poor choice of words on my part.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

So funny to read that people are anti-Korean publisher, or any publisher that isn't NA/EU. What track record of awesomeness does NA/EU have? Name a game where there has been a publisher where we all went, "WOW, THANKS <insert publisher>"

At least with a Korean publisher they might keep the game like it is in Korea, which NORMALLY, is the best iteration of the game. NA/EU always has ridiculous needs that essentially ruin games... and then the NA/EU will complain about those changes they whined for in the first place.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

Why on earth would BD be any different to AA when it comes to game changes ? In either case, the western publisher is not the game developer, so all they can do is make suggestions to the developers. Whether those suggestions are acted on or not is entirely up to the game developer.

In the case of AA and BD, Trion may actually have an advantage over the BD publisher, seeing as Trion has extensive experience with the likes and dislikes of western gamers. There's more to a successful localization than just translating game text/voice.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by fascism
    Real publisher is gamescampus.

To be specific, Daum recently bought OnNet, and OnNet is the company running Gamescampus.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    I don't care who the publisher is. This is clearly progress and I'm looking forward to a US relase.

I understand that many people just want to play - but having a western publisher is a lot more than players realize. It's not just translation, it's also having an established operations team, Datacenter, billing etc... Having a solid infrastructure to host a MMO is just as important as the game itself - it's what separates Blizzard, SoE, NCsoft, Trion etc... from the rest.

I disagree with this.

Daum Communications being the publisher for Black Desert is some of the best news possible for this game. We'll get content fast because the developers are the ones who are publishing the game, and also from what I've seen this development team already knows how to operate (they have experienced developers who have been in the business for up to 10 years and more).

Also, from what I've seen of these developers they truly seem to care about their game and want to make it the best they possibly can. I expect that servers will obviously be hosted in the NA region for NA players so people shouldn't worry about having a bad connection or anything like that.

I really don't see how anyone could take this as bad news. This is great news from what I can see.

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

I understand that many people just want to play - but having a western publisher is a lot more than players realize. It's not just translation, it's also having an established operations team, Datacenter, billing etc... Having a solid infrastructure to host a MMO is just as important as the game itself - it's what separates Blizzard, SoE, NCsoft, Trion etc... from the rest.

I disagree with this.

Daum Communications being the publisher for Black Desert is some of the best news possible for this game. We'll get content fast because the developers are the ones who are publishing the game, and also from what I've seen this development team already knows how to operate (they have experienced developers who have been in the business for up to 10 years and more).

Also, from what I've seen of these developers they truly seem to care about their game and want to make it the best they possibly can. I expect that servers will obviously be hosted in the NA region for NA players so people shouldn't worry about having a bad connection or anything like that.

I really don't see how anyone could take this as bad news. This is great news from what I can see.

Haven't thought about that perspective, I suppose this is very true. Content will come quicker and most likely be better without a middleman publisher. My real concern is how the game is going to monetized rather than the gameplay itself suffering. I honestly don't know how good/bad it is currently, but I do hope they realize different monetization models are needed for different regions of the world. Looking forward to seeing the future for BD.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I think it's a good thing that BDO will be hosted in the US/EU by the same company as in Korea. I just hope they won't make the same mistake NCSoft did by making separete corporations with their own staff and such to make their own decisions. Better keep all in one hand (Korean), rent some servers in good US/EU centers and hire a couple of US/EU local GMs & CSRs.
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Been waiting for this game... and F2P too... 1000% win win win for me.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

While it is true that the more directly involved in publishing the developer is, the faster updates will make it to that version. However, you need to also understand why this is true.

If the developer is just doing a direct port of the content, with changes made for translation, it is faster, and more cost effective. However, it also means that there is also not any opportunity for feedback from the local community (all changes are driven from the primary publising site, then pushed out to other version). This can be a two edged sword. Just look at ArcheAge. There are a huge amount of issues that are highly contentious in the west (as well as Russia). With different publishers handling these regions, there was the opportunity for changes to be made (for good or bad).

Many of you have seen how this game looks. However not many have seen how it plays. What works in Korea may not work well here.

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    I don't know much about the publisher, but I think this is actually good news. Seeing the mess that is Archeage right now I can't think of any western publishers I'd want to actually publish this. I've been waiting to face palm about this announcement because I was sure it would be some shit company like SoE or something. At least now I can hope this publisher has some sense and is competent. Since this game is supposedly being developed in multiple languages at the same time hopefully we won't have to wait 2 years for a translation like Archeage. I'm cautiously optimistic about this situation. 
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    I don't know much about the publisher, but I think this is actually good news. Seeing the mess that is Archeage right now I can't think of any western publishers I'd want to actually publish this. I've been waiting to face palm about this announcement because I was sure it would be some shit company like SoE or something. At least now I can hope this publisher has some sense and is competent. Since this game is supposedly being developed in multiple languages at the same time hopefully we won't have to wait 2 years for a translation like Archeage. I'm cautiously optimistic about this situation. 

I don't think you will see this game released in the west until 2017.  It's still in closed beta for the korean version.  Until the game goes live in korea, we won't likely see any beta testing in the west.  AA is actually a good timeline to expect for this title as well.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by Superman0X

While it is true that the more directly involved in publishing the developer is, the faster updates will make it to that version. However, you need to also understand why this is true.

If the developer is just doing a direct port of the content, with changes made for translation, it is faster, and more cost effective. However, it also means that there is also not any opportunity for feedback from the local community (all changes are driven from the primary publising site, then pushed out to other version). This can be a two edged sword. Just look at ArcheAge. There are a huge amount of issues that are highly contentious in the west (as well as Russia). With different publishers handling these regions, there was the opportunity for changes to be made (for good or bad).

Many of you have seen how this game looks. However not many have seen how it plays. What works in Korea may not work well here.

The thing is, we have seen the trailers and even see some vids of people gameplay review of how it works over there in this game, : mecanics, professions , etc. . We where all happy, so it will not be different once it hits here because in this case the same publisher will publish the game here. So they don't have to change anything!

If it would have been a game where only a teaser trailer would have been shown then ok, some change can be done but in this case we are fully aware of how it works and play, we just did not test it personally. But again we are already happy about the game as it is.

When it comes to AA, sorry but everyone that had actually view some trailers and made there own research on the game already knew what the games was about, even seen some gameplay vids about it and also that there latest patch over there had destroyed part of the game and in what status the game was even before the publisher for NA, RU was decided, Only the players never wanted to admit it and still are on a fence on the issue.

So i don't see how this can not benefit the game itself.

Edit :

gameplay vid : 

crafting vid : 

sorceress skills + key input vid :

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Funny how NCSoft and SOE are western publishers. An the track record of the western divisions is really astonishing, too. Or take EA.

If you look at Non-MMOs, it gets even worse, with the likes of Ubisoft.

I think this is a huge chance for eastern companies to establish a greater foothold here in the west. Some are already here, like the aforementioned NCSoft or SOE, but many are hesistating to make the jump. Sometimes it even comes down to individual games. And i think, more games is better. The Koreans and Japanese etc. sometimes do things a bit different, leading to a more diverse MMO landscape, and if they'd compete with western companies, both would be forced to step up their game.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I understand what you're saying, but my only experience with an Asian-to-Western game has been ArcheAge. Trion's beta is plagued with botters etc. Trion has no real developmental control over the game. It's almost as if Trion is a mere delivery boy. Other than payments, they haven't done anything that makes me think, "I'm so glad we have a US dealer."