Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Black Gold Online: Fool’s Gold

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Black Gold Online is not a good MMORPG. If that’s all you clicked on this review to find out about, then you can consider yourself informed – you may move along now. However, for those so inclined, let me go into a bit more detail. While it may still be in Open Beta, the game is charging players for feature and has essentially been released, so it’s being reviewed like a finished product. BGO attempts to create a massive, open-world MMORPG that smashes fantasy and steampunk together in an epic power struggle. While the scene is set respectably enough, the lack of execution holds back what otherwise could have been a relatively memorable experience.

Read more of David Jagneaux's Black Gold Online: Fool's Gold.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Is this the lowest score given an MMO on here?
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Is this the lowest score given an MMO on here?

A score of zero would be too controversial... by giving it a four, it makes those games with an eight seem less good.  If this game got a zero people would be demanding that those games with an eight get lowered to reflect their true quality.

4.0 seems to be the typical low score although this game did get a 1.4

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/992/view/reviews/load/317/Not-Even-Fans-of-One-Direction-Will-Love-This.html

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Nice review.

Sadly, the amount of trolling incoming is going to be immense. People love this game as much as they love Archage, unreasonably so, with no actual reason yet.

Makes me laugh, reading your review, finding out how linear the game is, when everyone hailed this as a Sandbox MMORPG.

What an awful loot system do. "You got some really awesome loot, rare stuff, worth alot. Now pay us for it."

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Dont remember what score you gave GW2, but the social aspect of that game is exactly spot on in this review. 

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 621

Originally posted by Mkilbride

Nice review.

Sadly, the amount of trolling incoming is going to be immense. People love this game as much as they love Archage, unreasonably so, with no actual reason yet.

Makes me laugh, reading your review, finding out how linear the game is, when everyone hailed this as a Sandbox MMORPG.

I believe you may be confusing this game with Black Desert Online. Which is still a ways out in development, but set to be one of the best Sandbox games of this decade. I suggest looking at the difference between them for yourself, you may be pleased you did :)

This game however, was never hyped anywhere, and noone expected it to ever be more than vaporware. Its just another in a long list of F2Ps with nothing to offer, as the review justly offered. 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

yeah played it for 2h (trying classes) the only good thing this game has for is variety of classes other than that sucks , autopahting for quests objetives sucks, the gameplay is clunky

• tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I tried it for 30 mins, then uninstalled it and then burned the HD...
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Making you buy your loot definitely changes it from a f2p to a p2p.  Why would anyone even bother to play this game when you have to pay for your loot.  That has to be the most ridiculous pay model anyone has ever conceived!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This review deserves a 9 because it accurately explains how much of a fail game Black Gold Online is. Good job sir.
  • SandricSandric Member UncommonPosts: 103
    This game had awesome reward systems.  I was logged in for 30 min?  Have candy!!!  Wait you have to pay to use that candy I gave you, sry.  Or that candy is only good for 2 days.  Had decent hopes when I was in character creation due to the amount of classes but they are rather bland.  When was the last time I played a game with actual class differences instead of these kinda tepid changes between them.  Plus the game ran clunky and slow.

Major or Current Characters
    AC - The Brute lvl 85 macer -HG (retired)
    SWG - Lihone Su'alkn Master Ranger/ MCH - Flurry (Retired)
    EVE - Sulone - Cruiser Lover (Retired)
    LOTRO - Sandric lvl 50 Burg (and others)- Brandywine (Retired)
    GW2 - Sandric lvl 80 Thief - Dragonbrand (Retired)
    NeverWinter - Sandric lvl 60 Rogue - Dragonshard (Retired)
    Archage - Sandric lvl 50 everything - Naima (Active)
    Others (Lots) (Retired)

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    So I'm not the only one who was all excited about this game, until I actually played it.  The poorly executed action combat made me uninstall it within 15 minutes.
  • RebellonRebellon Member Posts: 49

I would have given it a five out of ten. And that I'm being generous. The amount of classes and races it has is a plus. Combat I will admit is very clunky. That is one of the many suggestions the players wanted fixed during the closed beta. Which never really was addressed in open beta. If it was I didn't noticed it.

The art direction as a personal taste is really good.

The animation sometimes seemed out of sink with the action on screen, maybe lag. Even though my ping was decent.

Sound is average nothing really special.

Sadly they rush this game out the door, haven't we heard that before.

The server were pack when it went live open beta. After the initial hype of the game and the

disappointed players realized that this was not ready for prime time the population dropped quickly.

I don't see this game lasting long if the major problems aren't resolved.

And about the payment system which out of the norm for a F2P is crazy to say the least.

" Players will be able to select a timeframe: every 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 Hour(s) for automatically saving their progress. Players can also end the auto-save early to save manually whenever they feel the need to loot the items gained so far. Upon creation, save files will last for 24 hours before they disappear.

By selecting the one hour auto-save, progress will be recorded every hour:

SaveFile1 from 14:10~15:10, the player acquires a rare gun and a couple basic materials.

SaveFile2 from 15:10~15:40,the player loots a rare material and decides to save before reaching the hour mark.

The player will be able to loot the basic material immediately, but the rare gun and material will only be looted if the player decides to purchase SaveFile1 and SaveFile2"

I usually grind my way to high level to get the better gear and weapons and crafting or to enchant items. The lower level will just be a waste of money.

SnailGames should just polish the game  and  have a normal cash shop like the other F2P

publisher have. Why try to reinvent the wheel.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well this is made by the same guys who did Age of Wushu, so I'm not to surprised unfortunately.  What that means is that even if the gameplay was solid it would still be plagued with bots and  account hacking in numbers higher than the typical MMO.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"While the scene is set respectably enough, the lack of execution holds back what otherwise could have been a relatively memorable experience."

Word. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• deadhopedeadhope Member Posts: 52
    It's a 3d MMO with a VIP system made to steal all your money. It's a giant pile of steaming poop.
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Wasn't there another review or preview on here that was mostly praising everything about the game? I have no idea if they are actually with the mmorpg.com staff or just somehow got featured on the front page. Seems like a complete change in opinion from closed beta to open.
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Alka_Setzer
    Wasn't there another review or preview on here that was mostly praising everything about the game? I have no idea if they are actually with the mmorpg.com staff or just somehow got featured on the front page. Seems like a complete change in opinion from closed beta to open.

I think a few people are confusing this with Black Desert, which is probably what Snail games is counting on. Not saying you are, just I haven't seen anything positive about this game here.

• MindTrickedMindTricked Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Making you buy your loot definitely changes it from a f2p to a p2p.  Why would anyone even bother to play this game when you have to pay for your loot.  That has to be the most ridiculous pay model anyone has ever conceived!

Makes SWTOR's seem downright magical!

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    wait...was this supposed to be Archeage's review?

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I always feel horrible about these reviews. Some poor guy poured their heart and soul into this...being a developer so rarely pays off, even less so with MMOs.

If at first you don't succeed, go into Database Administration!

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    For once I have to agree with a review here at mmorpg! 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Lol, off topic a bit but people liked ArcheAge? Ugh, I played the beta and was mad I even spent bandwidth downloading it....

And this game got uninstalled real quick too.
  • ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

I don't normally let a review keep me from playing a game but you had a lot of those magic words.

Quest hub

Autopathing

linear world

And just being a typical dull mmo didn't help.

This is really everything I'm not looking for in an mmo right now so I'll save myself the time and effort and just not bother.

• ojustabooojustaboo Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Never tried the game personally.

They seem to be taking the piss with their payment model, I've always preferred sub based games.

However, a lot of things described in the review can be applied to almost any new mmo out there.

I play ESO, the first month or two, chat was only gold farmers, bots were everywhere. For the first two months it felt like I was paying to beta test.

I have heard wildstar also suffered from gold farmers on release.

Few MMOs are released with any originality, almost every one is more of the same. When a company does try something different as for example ESO, look at the negativity shouted across forums every day about how it's missing xyz, how it needs abc like other MMOs.

The vast majority of people seem to enjoy playing more of the same, if your into steampunk, I suspect if you enjoy other run of the mill MMOs, you might enjoy this?

The only thing that would stop me even glancing at it is the payment model described in the review. While I prefer sub based games, some payment models aren't too bad. For example GW2 or Sony's.

So, the payment model alone makes it deserve a 1 in my opinion, but most of the rest of the review sound like most other MMOs in my opinion
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Nice review.

What an awful loot system do. "You got some really awesome loot, rare stuff, worth alot. Now pay us for it."

Pretty sure you're thinking of a different game. I don't recall anyone, anywhere, ever trying to pass this game off as a sandbox game.

Anyway to the review.... Unless something changed in the last few weeks the payment system isn't at all as described and your description seems to actually be taken from a multitude of incorrect assumptions about how it worked when people first found out about it.

Here is how it actually works:

You kill something, it drops loot.... you get it. You find a treasure chest in a dungeon, it contains some nice items.... you get them. That's it. You do not pay for your drops / loot, even rare ones.

What you do pay for is a chance at a random assortment of items based on the "Treasure Value" that you accumulate during that hour from killing normal mobs and bosses, opening treasure chests, completing quests, events, etc. Your points build up and unlock higher tiers of treasure which you can purchase later with obviously the higher tiers giving higher level and more rare rewards. It's sort of like purchasing and opening chests in many other games that give random items / equipment. Only in this you actually have to build up your treasure value by doing stuff in game.

BTW these items can also be traded in game and sold on their auction house system. They're also not typically the best equipment either, especially at end game. The best end game equipment in most cases can be obtained through other methods.