Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online has ~775,000 subscribers - report

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

These people are almost as bad as the SWTOR fans who really think it's the third most played MMORPG in the world.

SuperData is terrible.

Now, population stats from last year, compared to this year, are less than half on all servers. Just going by that simple fact alone, one could see that it is NOT doing as well as they say. (SWTOR, that is.)

As for TESO, I can't say, but when you're two months into release and your game is on sale for 10$?

Lol... so typical of this thread... translation: "The company that Microsoft, Activision, EA and others pay money to for their reports is full of shit... I, OTOH, know ESO sucks 'cause it's on sale for $10"

So, Mr. Milkbride, just who is paying you money for your wise perspective on the MMO business? And as a follow-up bonus question, where can you buy ESO for $10?

PS. Superdata is also hiring. Here's what they're looking for: http://www.superdataresearch.com/jobs/ Unfortunately there's nothing in there about "Experience posting at mmorpg.com" image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

So, from release to June, ESO has had 772K  subscribe to the game. 

No wonder ZM is keeping quiet.

Zenimax Media are probably under no obligation to release information, being privately owned.

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    it's less than 400K. if it were more then they would have made statements.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Iselin

These people are almost as bad as the SWTOR fans who really think it's the third most played MMORPG in the world.

SuperData is terrible.

Now, population stats from last year, compared to this year, are less than half on all servers. Just going by that simple fact alone, one could see that it is NOT doing as well as they say. (SWTOR, that is.)

As for TESO, I can't say, but when you're two months into release and your game is on sale for 10$?

Lol... so typical of this thread... translation: "The company that Microsoft, Activision, EA and others pay money to for their reports is full of shit... I, OTOH, know ESO sucks 'cause it's on sale for $10"

So, Mr. Milkbride, just who is paying you money for your wise perspective on the MMO business? And as a follow-up bonus question, where can you buy ESO for $10?

PS. Superdata is also hiring. Here's what they're looking for: http://www.superdataresearch.com/jobs/ Unfortunately there's nothing in there about "Experience posting at mmorpg.com" image

Bonus Skill(s)

• A strong understanding and interest in the business side of the video games industry.
    • Previous experience in market research of video games, the digital entertainment industry or the technological space.
    • Impress us with a ridiculous high-score in your favorite game, your vintage NES !console, your unbeatable Magic deck, your GTA V fan art, etc.
    :D
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

SuperData is terrible.

You should learn to read your own words a bit better i think.

Yes the companies that use this site, hence pay the bills, use it in advertising. Does that not make you stop to think, even a little?

They are the companies that have the EXACT numbers to put out if they wish, but instead they pay ANOTHER site to guess...so they can use the guesses in advertising.. oh my god.. 

And people defend this as good info?

Originally posted by Malabooga

SuperData is terrible.

Bonus Skill(s)

• A strong understanding and interest in the business side of the video games industry.
    • Previous experience in market research of video games, the digital entertainment industry or the technological space.
    • Impress us with a ridiculous high-score in your favorite game, your vintage NES !console, your unbeatable Magic deck, your GTA V fan art, etc.

Well worth bonus geek points for game data research as far as I'm concerned... But I'm still not seeing "attacks things he doesn't understand 'cause it doesn't fit his preconceptions" there even as miscellaneous bonus points

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by DarLorkar

SuperData is terrible.

Yes the companies that use this site, hence pay the bills, use it in advertising. Does that not make you stop to think, even a little?

They are the companies that have the EXACT numbers to put out if they wish, but instead they pay ANOTHER site to guess...so they can use the guesses in advertising.. oh my god.. 

Lol... maybe YOU should learn what it is that they're paying money for and what Superdata does before you try to make any comments on the matter. THIS thread is about what Superdata says in a summary meant for public consumption, It is NOT what the companies pay for.

Those would be reports that you or I don't have access to that break down metrics and forecasts into much more interesting data those companies can use to plan and then make more $$.

No one is paying them to make numbers public so that conspiracy theorists can use them as leverage in silly arguments.

And don't confuse "defending" with not attacking. I'm simply pointing out the idiocy of unqualified attacks on the company simply because some people would rather go with the stuff they pull out their ass because it's more convenient to whatever argument they're trying to make. I have no idea if their numbers are right but they sure as hell are a lot more credible than the speculative shit that passes for "evidence" around here.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

SuperData is terrible.

Lol... maybe YOU should learn what it is that they're paying money for and what Superdata does before you try to make any comments on the matter. THIS thread is about what Superdata says in a summary meant for public consumption, It is NOT what the companies pay for.

Those would be reports that you or I don't have access to that break down metrics and forecasts into much more interesting data those companies can use to plan and then make more $$.

No one is paying them to make numbers public so that conspiracy theorists can use them as leverage in silly arguments.

And don't confuse "defending" with not attacking. I'm simply pointing out the idiocy of unqualified attacks on the company simply because some people would rather go with the stuff they pull out their ass because it's more convenient to whatever argument they're trying to make. I have no idea if their numbers are right but they sure as hell are a lot more credible than the speculative shit that passes for "evidence" around here.

They are not more credible than Knotwood (meaning anyone on the internet)

They are certainly not paid to release info company itself dont want released/goes to great lenght to hide even from shareholders, in fact, that info (IF the company ever shared it, which it would not in the first place) would be treated as confidential.

So yeah, they have as much credibility as Knotwood and their weight is same as every other "shit that passes for "evidence" around here." and should be respectfully treated as such.

SuperData is terrible.

Bonus Skill(s)

Well worth bonus geek points for game data research as far as I'm concerned... But I'm still not seeing "attacks things he doesn't understand 'cause it doesn't fit his preconceptions" there even as miscellaneous bonus points

Well, thousands of posts on various MMO forums would qualify ;P

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-18-elder-scrolls-online-has-775-000-subscribers-report

"A report published by SuperData Research (via GamesIndustry International) claims The Elder Scrolls Online had 772,374 subscribers in June."

This seems about right, 420k box sales + 3-4 times more digital downloads =  1.2-1.6 mill or so sold, with about a 50% retention rate. 

That's a little higher than I had predicted at 500-700k on retention. If this data is true, this is nothing but good news for ZoS and makes the game a smashing success.

So wait, while i dont think this is a bad number and certainly more than i expected, you consider this a "smashing" success?

What planet are we on?  Everquest 1 had peak sub numbers approaching 600k YEARS after release.  They also had that when the ENTIRE mmo market consisted of around 2 million players.

Current estimates are the MMO market is around 24 million (not sure how much of that is asia).  But let says that 1/3 of that is NA, so 8 million.  Thats bad.  Especially when this is june figures.  Most MMO's, even the really succesful ones, lose around 70% of their sub base after the first 3 months.  So, if this follows the same trend they'll be at about half that number by august.

IMO half a million subs is fine, but you have to compare that to the budget of what the game cost to make.  This is what the SWTOR fanbois never seem to understand when they claim swtor is a success.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-18-elder-scrolls-online-has-775-000-subscribers-report

"A report published by SuperData Research (via GamesIndustry International) claims The Elder Scrolls Online had 772,374 subscribers in June."

This seems about right, 420k box sales + 3-4 times more digital downloads =  1.2-1.6 mill or so sold, with about a 50% retention rate. 

That's a little higher than I had predicted at 500-700k on retention. If this data is true, this is nothing but good news for ZoS and makes the game a smashing success.

So wait, while i dont think this is a bad number and certainly more than i expected, you consider this a "smashing" success?

What planet are we on?  Everquest 1 had peak sub numbers approaching 600k YEARS after release.  They also had that when the ENTIRE mmo market consisted of around 2 million players.

Current estimates are the MMO market is around 24 million (not sure how much of that is asia).  But let says that 1/3 of that is NA, so 8 million.  Thats bad.  Especially when this is june figures.  Most MMO's, even the really succesful ones, lose around 70% of their sub base after the first 3 months.  So, if this follows the same trend they'll be at about half that number by august.

IMO half a million subs is fine, but you have to compare that to the budget of what the game cost to make.  This is what the SWTOR fanbois never seem to understand when they claim swtor is a success.

EQ had maybe 10-12 MMOs as competition (all very, very different from each other) during that rather short-lived spike in subs you are referring to. The current audience may be 24 million, but there are a couple hundred MMOs currently slicing up that pie right now, not a dozen. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

SuperData is terrible.

They are certainly not paid to release info company itself dont want released/goes to great lenght to hide even from shareholders, in fact, that info (IF the company ever shared it, which it would not in the first place) would be treated as confidential.

So yeah, they have as much credibility as Knotwood and their weight is same as every other "shit that passes for "evidence" around here." and should be respectfully treated as such.

I don't think anyone is paying Knotwood for his powers of prognostication or scientific guess work and I'm thinking no one pays you either. Superdata, OTOH, is getting paid for their research... so yeah, one hell of a lot more credible than either yours or Knotwood's biased guesswork for the purpose of making your respective pointed arguments.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

SuperData is terrible.

I don't think anyone is paying Knotwood for his powers of prognostication or scientific guess work and I'm thinking no one pays you either. Superdata, OTOH, is getting paid for their research... so yeah, one hell of a lot more credible than either yours or Knotwood's biased guesswork for the purpose of making your respective pointed arguments.

You have a funny idea about Superdata, i mean honestly, you think Zenimax is going to pay them to do research, when all Superdata does is sell their 'data' to other companies, ie, would Zenimax really give Superdata confidential data that they in turn would then sell to their direct competitors in the market, and also pay them for the privilege, i don't think so.image

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

What exactly makes you think that people getting paid to say stuff are in any way more credible than people that do it for free?

Your belief in and subservience to authority is cute. A bit frightening as a prospect, but cute.

Originally posted by Phry

SuperData is terrible.

You have a funny idea about Superdata, i mean honestly, you think Zenimax is going to pay them to do research, when all Superdata does is sell their 'data' to other companies, ie, would Zenimax really give Superdata confidential data that they in turn would then sell to their direct competitors in the market, and also pay them for the privilege, i don't think so.image

No nono.

Superdata is place where you go to sell/trade your company secrets, buy other cmpanies secrets, but also have a option of "buying out" your own company secrets.

Absolutely fabulous!

http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article99252.ece/alternates/s2197/joanna-lumley-in-absolutely-fabulous-pic-bbc-373213252.jpg

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I first caught wind of this SuperData site when the user Nariusseldon was using it's research to help with some of his arguments. So, right off the bat, I had my concerns with this "data".

After perusing their site it didn't take long to discover that they were classifying Combat Arms as an MMO; this is an FPS game and is called such by both the developer (Jeff VanLier Studios) and the publisher (Nexon). This is just the tip of the iceberg. These guys can't make it to first base without screwing things up.

SuperDooperData is a horrible tool to use in any discussion that could be considered reasonable. These guys are a fucking joke. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Rylah

What exactly makes you think that people getting paid to say stuff are in any way more credible than people that do it for free?

Your belief in and subservience to authority is cute. A bit frightening as a prospect, but cute.

Well IDk, but I rather get my appendix taken out by someone who makes a living doing surgery than some truck driver on the internet who likes to criticize surgeons... you, and all others who believe internet forum experts, can get yours taken out by whoever you wish... talk about frightening! ... not to mention incredibly and blissfully ignorant about qualifications.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Well IDk, but I rather get my appendix taken out by someone who makes a living doing surgery than some truck driver on the internet who likes to criticize surgeons... you, and all others who believe internet forum experts, can get yours taken out by whoever you wish... talk about frightening! ... not to mention incredibly and blissfully ignorant about qualifications.

Well, the choice is like this:

Go to the "village shaman" (certified "appendix remover" certified by higher force) and has to be paid

or

someone who practices medicine as a hobby.

Go to the "village shaman" (certified "appendix remover" certified by higher force) and has to be paid

or

Well luckily I don't have to make that choice. I just go to the surgeon who does this every day for a living,

You guys in this thread are hilarious... you just know you don't like Superdata's number cause it "feels" wrong to you, But since you got nothing better to point to, you go on a campaign to try to discredit those numbers and Superdata... apparently your collective manhoods are somehow threatened by their numbers being higher than what you guess they should be.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

or

Well luckily I don't have to make that choice. I just go to the surgeon who does this every day for a living,

You guys in this thread are hilarious... you just know you don't like Superdata's number cause it "feels" wrong to you, But since you got nothing better to point to, you go on a campaign to try to discredit those numbers and Superdata... apparently your collective manhoods are somehow threatened by their numbers being higher than what you guess they should be.

Well, we would all like to know what surgeon (ZOS) has to say about it, but surgeon is silent and doesnt care about it so you are left with what you are left with and proclaiming "village shaman" as  surgeon. well, yeah

But if you still didnt get the hint (and i have strong belief you did you just choose to ignore elephant in the room), theres nothing much to do about it, just like kid stomping his foot and crossing his arms, it aint really worth it, since its not your kid and not really your worry.

But its been really entertaining endevour, we learned what superdata is REALLY about, right? lol

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    I really love how mad people get that a game might have a sustainable amount of subscribers to not end up going free-to-play.
  • ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

or

If zenimax is the surgeon and superdata is the shaman ....where do you and your "medical skills" fit in ?

or

Well, we would all like to know what surgeon (ZOS) has to say about it, but surgeon is silent and doesnt care about it so you are left with what you are left with and proclaiming "village shaman" as  surgeon. well, yeah

But if you still didnt get the hint (and i have strong belief you did you just choose to ignore elephant in the room), theres nothing much to do about it, just like kid stomping his foot and crossing his arms, it aint really worth it, since its not your kid and not really your worry.

But its been really entertaining endevour, we learned what superdata is REALLY about, right? lol

I'm curious about what you do for a living. Do you have a special skill people are willing to pay you for?

I do and so does just about everyone I know and I have respect for their skills and would consider it extremely arrogant in a dumb punk kind of way to presume to know as much about their area of expertise as they do.

I'm just applying real life standards here: they professional gaming industry analysts... you....?

PS... I could give less of a shit what the "real numbers" are.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by kitarad
    SuperData research was the same source used to support how much money SWTOR was making and a lot of posters on this very site discredited it as unreliable. Now it is being used to support ESO sub numbers. Interesting development.

Actually EA actually back up that statement by saying the game was profitable.  But people only discredit some sources when it doesn't support their bashing. 

No they did not.  EA's own financial report stated that ToR has been seeing lower revenue each year for the past two years. They don't even sate that it's "profitable".  In every mention in the 2014 yearly financial report it is about its contributing to a loss over the previous year. It made less in 2012 than it did in 2011, and less in 2013 than it did in 2012.  

The 2015 quarterly report states that its only a significant contributor in their F2P revenue, behind several other game services, for the first quarter of 2014. 

Superdata is speculating, and they're going to speculate high. In the end they don't know anymore than anyone else does. It's a guess. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

or

Who in their right mind would go to either of those people when there are surgeons who have been through a dozen years of training, and have additional experience beyond that taking out little things like an appendix?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.