Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR 4th biggest Sub MMO in the world

Comments

• DooDoo666DooDoo666 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by DooDoo666

okay, anyway does anybody know if I should grind out companion gear or just let it be?

If your tank companion is wearing full 162+, it can tank the first Czerka tactical FP. In the tactical version, there is a 148 AIM chest that is a gaurenteed drop which vendors for 44k. If you are inclined to solo it over and over, you can make some serious credits (I farmed a million creds in about 2.5 hours).

I would say its very worth it to gear your companions.

Dang !! A million credits !! Should I just sub so I can carry that much? And what about droid companions? I heard it was hard to gear them up.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

does anybody know if I should grind out companion gear or just let it be?

i dont know - but here's a guide

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2013/04/swtor-guide-making-the-most-of-your-companions.html

• DooDoo666DooDoo666 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Nadia

does anybody know if I should grind out companion gear or just let it be?

i dont know - but here's a guide

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2013/04/swtor-guide-making-the-most-of-your-companions.html

Thank you !! this will help a lot !!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Malabooga
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Be careful, last time i said this idiocy with superdata is BS and they dont have any more info than anyone else on the internet  (which they dont and their guess is as good as anyone elses) i got banned, but thats SWTOR forums moderation for ya.

It goes as far as being cited in articles on MMORPG.com which is beyond comprehnsion, those who do that should never be allowed to write anything public ever again.

Except they do have more information than anyone else on the internet.  In fact, they probably have more information than everyone else on the internet aside from the developers and publishers themselves.  Superdata is working directly with the developers and publishers.  Where do you think they get their information?  Raptr?  Xfire?  No.  It comes from the people producing the games.

That chart with revenues for different games is for 2013.  Kind of old.  Would be more interesting to see something for YTD 2014.

Im also working directly with "developers and publishers", some of my friends made some apps.

It makes ME king of the hill and prime authority on every number on anything.

Yes, for games that dont release numbers they have "third party sources" exactly like Raptr, XFire, conference calls and such. Read their actual page dude.

You aren't working with the developers and publishers in question.  SuperData actually gets information from the publishers in question.

I have read their actual page, and the list of publishers and developers they work with.  That's also their customer list.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Based on information from Superdata SWTOR is 4th sub based MMO in the world

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

I think it is solit 2nd, I do not believe to that numbers. They can not be serious with TERA and Lineage 1. 

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Originally posted by daltanious

I think it is solit 2nd, I do not believe to that numbers. They can not be serious with TERA and Lineage 1. 

Lineage 1 and TERA are pretty popular in Asian markets. And  L1 made in 2013 287 billion KRW(korean currency) according NCSOFT

http://imageshack.com/a/img593/3328/1zef.png

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by psiic
    Strange that those numbers do not match internal investor quarterly reports for at least three of the top four companies.

Sometimes you have to take what the " experts " say with a grain of salt.

That's because superdata is nothing more than a site that has permission to make educated guesses and turn them into news stories. That's what their partnerships with ncsoft, ea, etc allow.

Superdata is about as accurate as Nostradamus.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by daltanious

Oh I can and before another of you fanbois attacks it: SWTOR is global, Lineage 1 is in one region so it is more than fair. They would a made more cash with a 60 USD a pop KOTOR 3 with open world bits and mod support rather than this Lucas worthy PoS. The delivery of the story is ace though shame the story is ...5th grader on back of schoolbook worthy. The Twilight author could have squeezed out something better ( the back story is interesting especially the Jedi archives but boy do they shit on that potential in-game ).

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Malabooga Originally posted by lizardbones Originally posted by Malabooga Be careful, last time i said this idiocy with superdata is BS and they dont have any more info than anyone else on the internet  (which they dont and their guess is as good as anyone elses) i got banned, but thats SWTOR forums moderation for ya. It goes as far as being cited in articles on MMORPG.com which is beyond comprehnsion, those who do that should never be allowed to write anything public ever again.
      Except they do have more information than anyone else on the internet.  In fact, they probably have more information than everyone else on the internet aside from the developers and publishers themselves.  Superdata is working directly with the developers and publishers.  Where do you think they get their information?  Raptr?  Xfire?  No.  It comes from the people producing the games.   **   That chart with revenues for different games is for 2013.  Kind of old.  Would be more interesting to see something for YTD 2014.  
    Im also working directly with "developers and publishers", some of my friends made some apps. It makes ME king of the hill and prime authority on every number on anything. Yes, for games that dont release numbers they have "third party sources" exactly like Raptr, XFire, conference calls and such. Read their actual page dude.

You aren't working with the developers and publishers in question.  SuperData actually gets information from the publishers in question.

I have read their actual page, and the list of publishers and developers they work with.  That's also their customer list.

That's not how it works. But they do a good job of making it sound like that heh.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I find it funny.

When SuperData released poor sub numbers for SWTOR, there was many topics arguing about it saying SuperData was junk.

Now that it supports the game -they- like, suddenly it could not BE more legit.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It is always hilarious to find 'haters' come up with any excuses to bash SWTOR.

Last I checked, SuperData's numbers are within reasonable margins when compared to EA's financials.

And if you can't understand why EA's financials are facts, you have bigger issues than bashing a video game. LOL!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Malabooga Be careful, last time i said this idiocy with superdata is BS and they dont have any more info than anyone else on the internet  (which they dont and their guess is as good as anyone elses) i got banned, but thats SWTOR forums moderation for ya. It goes as far as being cited in articles on MMORPG.com which is beyond comprehnsion, those who do that should never be allowed to write anything public ever again.
      Except they do have more information than anyone else on the internet.  In fact, they probably have more information than everyone else on the internet aside from the developers and publishers themselves.  Superdata is working directly with the developers and publishers.  Where do you think they get their information?  Raptr?  Xfire?  No.  It comes from the people producing the games.   **   That chart with revenues for different games is for 2013.  Kind of old.  Would be more interesting to see something for YTD 2014.  
    Im also working directly with "developers and publishers", some of my friends made some apps. It makes ME king of the hill and prime authority on every number on anything. Yes, for games that dont release numbers they have "third party sources" exactly like Raptr, XFire, conference calls and such. Read their actual page dude.

That's not how it works. But they do a good job of making it sound like that heh.

How then does it work?  There are only four real possibilities here.

• SuperData is getting a sampling of information from developers and calculating population statistics.
    • SuperData is getting overall population information and just rearranging it to present it.
    • SuperData is making information up using publically available information.
    • SuperData is buying information from Raptr or XFire and reselling it to developers.

It doesn't seem likely that developers would pay money for information they could make up themselves using Raptr or XFire.  It also doesn't seem likely that SuperData could employ four people just reselling Raptr or XFire information.  Especially when Raptr or XFire would be more than happy to sell their information to developers too.  That's one of the ways that Raptr and XFire make money btw.  The gamers are their product, not their customers. 

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Oh, it's superdata again, the company who cooks its research to attract users.

It honestly looks like the owner's kid just punches some numbers into a Excel sheet and he says "Fine job, son. We'll upload that right away."

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Hi, all the people that think superdata gets information directly from the publishers, please contact me for some very lucrative investment opportunities.  

Originally posted by Malabooga Be careful, last time i said this idiocy with superdata is BS and they dont have any more info than anyone else on the internet  (which they dont and their guess is as good as anyone elses) i got banned, but thats SWTOR forums moderation for ya. It goes as far as being cited in articles on MMORPG.com which is beyond comprehnsion, those who do that should never be allowed to write anything public ever again.
        You aren't working with the developers and publishers in question.  SuperData actually gets information from the publishers in question.   I have read their actual page, and the list of publishers and developers they work with.  That's also their customer list.  

How then does it work?  There are only four real possibilities here.

• SuperData is getting a sampling of information from developers and calculating population statistics. SuperData is getting overall population information and just rearranging it to present it. SuperData is making information up using publically available information. SuperData is buying information from Raptr or XFire and reselling it to developers.
     It doesn't seem likely that developers would pay money for information they could make up themselves using Raptr or XFire.  It also doesn't seem likely that SuperData could employ four people just reselling Raptr or XFire information.  Especially when Raptr or XFire would be more than happy to sell their information to developers too.  That's one of the ways that Raptr and XFire make money btw.  The gamers are their product, not their customers. 

Not sure why you are defending that site so hard. They are an entertainment news site, always have been. You can even subscribe to their various channels for up to the minute scoops. And you'll also be required to acknowledge before purchasing that you are aware this is for entertainment purposes only and their numbers are neither official nor confirmed by their partners. Their partnership btw simply allows them to do this without getting sued. Im sure their are stipulations like they cannot make a game look bad, which if you have looked at their site more than a few times, you'll notice every partner's games are doing great.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Hi, all the people that think superdata gets information directly from the publishers, please contact me for some very lucrative investment opportunities.  

It says they do multiple times....So if you have proof they don't, enlighten us....

http://www.superdataresearch.com/services

"By collecting transaction data directly from publishers and developers, our data reports include market-level insights into MMO, social and mobile games, and emerging markets. "

"Q: 
    What type of data do we have and where do we get it?
    A: 

Every month we collect the spending data of millions of unique paying online gamers directly from publishers and developers, totaling 50+ publishers and 450+ game titles."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

Are people here conducting in depth market research with their posts or are they making dumb comments based on a website ?

Superdata says game A made 130 million last year

One side says that number is total BS

One side says it's an accurate or educated guess.

Say the real number is 105 million

With regards to what goes on here on the forums and the agenda people really have towards these numbers, is being 25 million off when talking about a game that made over 100 million important ? Does it change what is really trying to be said when arguing these numbers ?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ryvendark

Are people here conducting in depth market research with their posts or are they making dumb comments based on a website ?

With regards to what goes on here on the forums and the agenda people really have towards these numbers, is being 25 million off when talking about a game that made over 100 million important ? Does it change what is really trying to be said when arguing these numbers ?

I want to know when common sense comes into play, what purpose would a bunch of random numbers serve to publishers, why would they use this service if that's all it is? How would they forecast anything if what they get isn't at least close to accurate on what has come before?

IF people can answer these questions with logical answers, I would be much obliged.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Distopia

I want to know when common sense comes into play, what purpose would a bunch of random numbers serve to publishers, why would they use this service if that's all it is? How would they forecast anything if what they get isn't at least close to accurate on what has come before?

I don't think common sense ever plays a big part in what goes on here. I guess the people that don't like superdata don't believe developers actually use it. Not sure who they think pays that monster sub or how that site maintains itself but if you can turn a blind eye to the obvious it's not all that hard to ignore anything.

Remember some ppl here still call swtor the biggest flop in mmo history and think it's lost money ever since launching...and yet they know it's an EA game. Try and explain that one.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Impacthound

165 million total revenue

minus 139 confirmed cartel coins alone =

24 million in subscriber revenue

so the second paragraph means SWTOR had 23.4 million in sub money, not 23.4 million active accounts.

23.4 million, broken down into $15 monthly payments, 12 times a year, is 127,777 subscribed accounts. Slightly more with people who sub for only part of the year, balanced back down by people who pay 3 or 6 month discounts.

Split those 127k subs up between 13 servers, and you have roughly 9,800 subscribers per server at any given time(up or down, depending on if you're on a dying server like POT5 or a populated one like Harbinger)

Interesting population information averages.

Swtor makes WAY more cash from the cartel market. The number of players who buy the cartel pack bundles blows my mind. When new ones come out the auction house is flooded and that does not even count the number of players who simply open every single one of them. Bioware makes a KILLING on people who do not even blink an eye at throwing $60+ into the cashshop every month or 2.

I typically have an mmo I return to from time to time and Swtor is currently that mmo (although my frustrations with their pvp gear grind usually forces me to leave). A while back (before sold to PWI) it was Champions Online. Some games are simply fun to play for a month or 2 then a 6-12 month break is needed.

You stay sassy!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I don't think common sense ever plays a big part in what goes on here. I guess the people that don't like superdata don't believe developers actually use it. Not sure who they think pays that monster sub or how that site maintains itself but if you can turn a blind eye to the obvious it's not all that hard to ignore anything.

Remember some ppl here still call swtor the biggest flop in mmo history and think it's lost money ever since launching...and yet they know it's an EA game. Try and explain that one.

They do lead blessed little lives, stuck in their own little reality bubbles like that. And the moment someone or something threatens their version of "reality" they get violently angry.

Hmm, I think I saw some other people like that... I think it was in one of those movies about an asylum.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by Mkilbride
    I'm having trouble believing this list. For one, I don't see FFXI or XIV on it, both of which have released sub numbers recently to be in the hundreds of thousands for XI and millions for XIV.  Tera is dying, if you go to their forums, or in game where the new areas are completely void of human players. Regardless of server.  Also, I don't like Rift, but it's fairly popular.  Find it hard to believe it can be behind Lineage 2.

Suspended disbelief of the veracity of these numbers put aside, I actually wouldn't be too surprised that Rift is low on the list, judging by the different cash shop/sub benefits models these companies have in-game.

When playing SWTOR and LOTRO I saw clear-cut benefits from the start to subbing, and eventually did in both games for the entirety of my duration there. But when playing Rift, I bought 1 month patron status when I first started, then saw it as non-essential/not worth the $15 and ended up playing truly free for my duration in Telara without feeling I had missed much.

@ SWTOR: good for you, it's a solid game. Now put out content on a more regular basis, please. 

• kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Honestly if they had more endgame content on realese it still would have been a p2p game with probebly alot more crazy content in it by now, but well humans far from perfect and making mistakes is something we really good at.
    But i glad they recovered, so much effort put into the game back then would have been a shame if it would just died out.

Originally posted by Uhwop Hi, all the people that think superdata gets information directly from the publishers, please contact me for some very lucrative investment opportunities.  
    It says they do multiple times....So if you have proof they don't, enlighten us....

http://www.superdataresearch.com/services

"By collecting transaction data directly from publishers and developers, our data reports include market-level insights into MMO, social and mobile games, and emerging markets. "   "Q:  What type of data do we have and where do we get it? A:  Every month we collect the spending data of millions of unique paying online gamers directly from publishers and developers, totaling 50+ publishers and 450+ game titles."

I guess what I'd like to know is why does superdatas numbers for nc soft games differ from nc soft's own yearly earnings reports. The reports that they are required to disclose to their shareholders and are open to the public. You'd think since superdata claims they get their data directly from the devs/producers, then they would basically be the exact same numbers. Also since square enix also produces earnings reports to their shareholders, why are they not on the list even though games like dragon warrior online is bringing in more revenue than the numbers superdata is giving for rift. I can make an educated guess as to why in both cases.

And I suppose I should state for the record yet again that I have no beef with the games on superdatas list. In fact, of the games I have played on their list, I really enjoyed and hope they keep doing a great job.

My argument really isn't about the games at all or their developers. I'd also like to know why questioning a third party website incites posters to attack the individual.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Just because a few SWG Vets around these forums slander SWToR doesn't make it so.  I never once thought the game would do bad and it hasn't.  It has far exceeded their expectations and about 800K other concurrent players.  Could it had been better? Sure! As it is, it's fine. I played the game always has a healthy community thus in turn I used logic. Lots of players running around at higher levels means retention is good and money is flowing in. Win win for both sides, lose for SWG Vets hoping for a clone.

The Repopulation will be my next perm home. I have touched it and I love it.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"