Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The Future Takes a Promising Path

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online is, like all MMORPGs, a work in progress, and a deeper look at the roadmap of that progress was given last week at QuakeCon. In a panel session titled The Future of The Elder Scrolls Online, details emerged about features announced in the weeks prior, as well as some surprises from the team.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Elder Scrolls Online: The Future Takes a Promising Path.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ides385Ides385 Member UncommonPosts: 82

Anyone who says Zen doesn't listen to their players is a blind hater.

Quakecon brought a lot of well deserved excitement (pending follow through). Zen showed they are willing to continue to grow the game. This is the kind of stuff you do not get in a F2P game. I've even enjoyed the BETA version they initially released. It is now in a very stable state and ready to start growing.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Ides385

Anyone who says Zen doesn't listen to their players is a blind hater.

Quakecon brought a lot of well deserved excitement (pending follow through). Zen showed they are will to continue to grow the game. This is the kind of stuff you do not get in a F2P game. I've even enjoyed the BETA version they initially released. It is now in a very stable state and ready to start growing.

Agreed, the game got off to a slightly rocky start, but really all of my gripes with the game were fixed in the first month. Remains one of the best MMO's on the market currently imo. Nowhere to go but up with new content and such :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I asked Zenimax for oversized shoulder armor and a laser blaster. They didn't even acknowledge me. For that I can honestly answer they are not listening.
  • GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59

I am glad ESO is taking the right direction. I will stay subbed to it, even though I dont play so much anymore (twice a week). Cant wait for the new Champion System (I like the AA system of EQ1 and EQ2).

Lucky console gamers will get a kick ass game.

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 156
    agree...agree....really enjoy the game.
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Crusades
    I asked Zenimax for oversized shoulder armor and a laser blaster. They didn't even acknowledge me. For that I can honestly answer they are not listening.

Doesn't Blizzard have an MMO with that?  ;)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by Ivylena

Originally posted by Crusades

Doesn't Blizzard have an MMO with that?  ;)

Yes my dear but imagine if I were the only one, I would shoot the imperial and let them know thier mother was a hamster and thier father smelt of elderberries.
  • neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I might return to ESO. I finally ended up not resubbing due to not wanting to do 2x the content I had already done to read "max level". When the Champion system is implemented, perhaps I'll check back in. They have so much content that forcing people to play all three factions is silly (especially since it seriously devalues playing an alt in another faction).
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I was pleased with my first month in ESO. the leveling experience was great.

i wanted to wait a few months to see what they are planning after that  endgame content for the hardcore players...- and i like what i hear so far, iam sure all that is built as well.

just waiting for that new pve solo zone!- and ill resub!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Content direction looks good but biggest impact to game is still waiting on whether or not stamina builds will be viable especially in pvp. The pvp mind set is still 100% staff/staff AOE exploit builds. That has to change or Cyrodiil will never be taken seriously by the greater mmo community.

You stay sassy!

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i actually enjoy this game much more than any other game ive played other than DAOC. I feel like this is the game that mythic should of strived for with warhammer online and fell so short on. I know that most of the devs from mythic that were laid off went to work for ZOS on this project and its good to see they are constantly trying very hard to fix the game and make it in the direction most of the player base wants. The justice system and spellcraft system is going to make the game much more like a TES game but you will still have zones etc. But from the way things sound once you hit 50 anyways its just adventure zones from then on out that you will not have to worry about leveling. The champion system is just going to be passives and some gear requirements , so its going to have the trees like skyrim had and some more open world feel. That should at least please some of the old players who left. I cannot wait til they add in the rest of the skyrim zones wrogthar etc.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Maybe I am the only one but im not really motivated to read anything about eso that appears in essay format.

Would be nice if there was an outline or bulletin points... I have spend too much grinding eso to spend more time reading theories and promises as great as they may be... they will fall on deaf ears if i have to read through an essay to understand their development plans.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I'm waiting for them to open the European server, because right now the combat is unresponsive and clunky, and I suppose that might changed with a reduced latency.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I dunno. This sound good and all but for some reason Skyrim gave a much more authentic feel to it than ESO. ESO feels like a shallow kiddy game compared to Skyrim.
  • OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I dunno. This sound good and all but for some reason Skyrim gave a much more authentic feel to it than ESO. ESO feels like a shallow kiddy game compared to Skyrim.

Bethesda and ZOS are not the same devs although there is some overlap. Bethesda made all the other single player ES games. That's why Skyrim is more "authentic".

I do feel that ESO has more customization than Skyrim though. My ESO character feels more my style than Skyrim ever did. I'm still waiting for an ES game to let me use a Staff as a blunt weapon instead of a magic weapon.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Well, it seems that ESO is prepared to leave alpha stage and move on to beta stage, and then even something release worthy somewhere down the line. Guess thats when console release will happen (learning a lesson and all that)

The question i have reding this is how much this "super seasonal gear" will have impact on Cyrodill and will PvE grind be (again) required to be competitive.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

I was hoping that they created the world like they do the singleplayer games with lots of open landscape. The world feels crowded and un-natural. I feel like they have too many POI's and almost every quest is easily forgettable. I enjoyed the game up to 40 but just couldn't bring myself to explore 1 more zone, maybe I'll pick it back up when VR overhaul happens.

• syeekcosyeekco Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Just letting you know that Craglorn is in the game.  You can level there without doing the vet zones.  Also they made all the (other faction zones) easier.  A lot in this game now.  100s of new items too....
    Originally posted by neotron
    I might return to ESO. I finally ended up not resubbing due to not wanting to do 2x the content I had already done to read "max level". When the Champion system is implemented, perhaps I'll check back in. They have so much content that forcing people to play all three factions is silly (especially since it seriously devalues playing an alt in another faction).

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Orious
    Originally posted by Yamota

I'm still waiting for an ES game to let me use a Staff as a blunt weapon instead of a magic weapon.

You could do that in Morrowind. Staffs were blunt weapons.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

A good game with an even better ongoing development. ArenaNet could learn a trick or two from ZOS. Zenimax shows they care for their players within months of release and I am happy to see, that subbed games still get much more useful attention than F2P games like GW2 (please spare me the B2P comment).

Nice article.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

"ESO: The Future takes a promising path.

The way thats phrased implies that the "path" ESO has been on up to this point hasnt been all that great.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by DwarfZZZ
    I'm waiting for them to open the European server, because right now the combat is unresponsive and clunky, and I suppose that might changed with a reduced latency.

Is there any news on this? I know it was promised at launch as something to happen in the future, but haven't heard anything since then.

Not even sure if it's going to happen if they don't have the level of success they originally planned (whatever forecast that was).

• ojustabooojustaboo Member UncommonPosts: 65
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2014/07/08/the-road-ahead---july-8

EU MEGASERVER UPDATE

We’re getting closer and closer to being able to announce a specific date for the migration of the EU Megaserver to our Frankfurt data center. As I type this, it looks like the move will happen during either the last week of July or the first week of August. This is obviously a delicate operation, and we have to make sure that everything is up and running and that all character data is transferred successfully. We are taking the time to do it right.
  • ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62
    i am happy they're making massive changes, i am more and more seduced into buying the game, but i guess i'll wait till a release date, hope its not too far though.
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Maybe in half a year I'll try the game again, and if it actually dramatically improved by then (VR removal/revamp), I would perhaps feel like less of a fool for buying the imperial edition.