Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Warframe: New Beginnings

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

From new weapons and Warframes to new game modes and tilesets, Warframe has seen quite a few dramatic changes and additions in the past year.  So many in fact, that it can be a little tough to keep up with where to go as a brand new player.  That’s why we’re particularly excited about our upcoming Update 14 this week.  Not only does it include a few meaty changes for our veteran players to chew on, but the overhauled new player experience and quest system means it’s never been a better time to get into the game!

Read more of our exclusive developer diary, Warframe: New Beginnings.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Looks awesome, great game btw. I play on ps4, and encourage everyone to give it a shot.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    It's not a bad game, but the costs are far too high to keep me playing. I'm not keen on grinding items for several days and wait for the 4 days crafting time, or spend a decent amount of money for an instant-unlock only to find out that I don't like the warframe (class) that much. Replace warframe with all 3 types of weapons, it's the same thing (minus the amount of days you have to wait).
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I played this game since closed beta and it is an awesome game until you hit the part of needing keys to unlock rooms and the grindfest to get those keys to drop and when you use them they unlock no the room that you wanted but another one you already have done a gazillion times. This game has so much potential if the devs will remove those stupid locks.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

woot, this is some awesome news after the bitter pill regarding PWE......

Looking forward to every bit of Update 14, hopefully they still have plans to allow PC to PS4 account copy with U14 like they said a while ago.

Cant wait for this. Still <3 DE

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Fun game with a great engine.  The action plays tremendously well.  I suspect that part of the PWE attempt at buy up/buy in may be to get the rights to use that engine on other games. 

I've gotten almost all the warframes and a huge chunk of the weapons just by playing the game.  Actually spent a little money on some of the cosmetic options, just because I wanted to support them.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BabiloniaBabilonia Member Posts: 1
    I was going to try this game, but I changed my mind because of the grindfest...

P.D.: I hope someday, developers will find a way to make fun, free to play games, that doesn't require to grind like crazy or pay to win.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Babilonia

P.D.: I hope someday, developers will find a way to make fun, free to play games, that doesn't require to grind like crazy or pay to win.

On a MMORPG site and complaining about grind, on your first post no less... 

I pop in and out of this game with every change and enjoy the game. Doesn't feel grindy at all when compared to other games, but the lack of mission types can make the gameplay feel stale after a while. On the other hand, a lot of the updates have changed or added things that have made it feel fun so I hope the same can be said of 14.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    To funny that the links up top lead you to Wartune and not Warframe. Nice work failing
  • rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Love the game, sunk about 200+ hours into it. The end game does get kind of grindy, but DE releases bi-monthly events and updates to keep the meta game flowing. I've unlocked most every weapon and spent a bit of money on the recent holiday sale they had. Prices are fair, but there is an element of 'pay2win'. Its more of a pay2skip though. You can pay to skip a lot of grind and waiting, but only for certian entry level weapons. A lot of cool stuff is still hidden deep within the games confusing clan system.

• frealmsfrealms Member UncommonPosts: 24

Point a single game that is not a grindfest. If you don't enjoy the art style of the game or instanced/dungeon-runner games, sure, don't play. Just don't say it is a grindfest or pay to win without even trying the thing...

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

The grind is not as annoying as you might think. It has been some time since I played but from what I remember I could easily carft new weapons. For the higher ones yes you had to do a level some times but you can switch levels and farm different things at once.

Besides, the annoying part of the game isnt the farming. It is the pain you have in your hand after spamming all the combos all the time. But it is worth it, looks awesome and you move faster, deal more dmg and evade better.

And you really want to learn them because otherwise people will run away and end the level before you jumped on the first crate :D

I guess to a (small) part it is a parcour racing game... with guns and swords

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Here's to DE hopefully being able to make it through Perfect World Entertainment sucking the life out of the game.
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    I'm loving what I am hearing for this article, Now I hope they actually improve on the new ships, I am getting mass effect 1 vibes off of this in a way.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Patch had promise but huge bugs and yes game breaking ones. Patch is not ready for release. Had to Alt+F4 5 times in a row trying to go into a mission and it froze on loading. We finally get to run a mission and we exit out and it says can not update to account no progress will be saved. So all the xp and rare mod card we looted is gone.

Friend claimed his crafted frame and none of the abilities came with it. I claimed one and same thing. This is actually fixed by repeatedly reclogging till they appear at least.

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    definitely giving the game a try.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

I'm out..no more money for them. They just had to destroy a great game with the new crap interface. What was wrong with the easy to use old one?

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    I played this game since closed beta and it is an awesome game until you hit the part of needing keys to unlock rooms and the grindfest to get those keys to drop and when you use them they unlock no the room that you wanted but another one you already have done a gazillion times. This game has so much potential if the devs will remove those stupid locks.

Are you talking about void keys, because that'snot how they work. And you can easily join someone else who has a key in the recruiting tab.  If you mean vault keys, well I'm still not sure what you mean.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

I'm out..no more money for them. They just had to destroy a great game with the new crap interface. What was wrong with the easy to use old one?

They wanted a more immersive interface, I for one think it's far superior albeit could use some work still.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    I really like the new ui, it makes sense considering your a space ninja. The game is very grind heavy but its fun. The game is very fast paced and provides a good challenge. I just wish there was more of a story.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Torcip
    Originally posted by mayito7777

Are you talking about void keys, because that'snot how they work. And you can easily join someone else who has a key in the recruiting tab.  If you mean vault keys, well I'm still not sure what you mean.

When I left the game we needed certain keys to acces new areas where you could get the parts and schematic needed for the new frames, you had to run the same instance like a gazillion times to obtain a key and there were several keys, so you may be lucky and get the right key but many times you got the wrong one, again I am not putting the game down, this is an awesome game I didnt mind the grind but obtaining those darn keys was too much.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Really great update this U14.

I only wish they let us fly the that Liset ship manually to each planet with your party. That would make this game a million times better than it is now. But that is asking too much from a F2P game. And i think only EVE does that in the P2P world. Hopefully  No Mans Sky will turn that feature into a standard for space games.

• swarmdieswarmdie Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I loved the game but quit because I had to get rid of warframes and weapons to collect or try other ones. Does the game still have such limitations or can you end up owning all warframes and weapons at one time?
  • KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I really tried to love this game, as I find the tight controls, and the idea of Space Ninjas with Katana swords, very awesome.

But I found that the enemies and the dark hollow space corridors and the UI reminds me too much of Hellgate London. A mess without personality. I hate the space guy with guns you have to fight. The Tenno have really weak lore, so why they put them up against such generic looking enemies I don't understand. 

It feels to me that these Warframe guys should have done a Jedi Knight-esque game. They would have a better sci-fi setting to rely on, and they could use their expertise making Action RPGs and great melee combat. 

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

im super nervous about the pwe buyout thats looming for this game

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820

Update was shit. 

Ships are nothing more than a terrible UI overhaul that is over-complicated and dizzying with far too many button presses involved.

Kubrow system is grindy and randomized. I'd be surprised if PWE's hands weren't on it. 

Vor's Prize is the only decent quest - and it's nothing really new.

Unimaginative, redundant frame.

Couple of underpowered weapons, typical of any update. And MORE clan tech. Yayyyyy....

Only thing of value is the new tiles.