Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Darkest Dungeon: Building an Old-School Roguelike with a Twist

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today we'll be catching up with Darkest Dungeon, a game that first caught our attention at PAX East this year. Darkest Dungeon is an old-school rogue-like with a couple of twists. The first thing that grabs you is the art style, a very Gothic, dark style that looks like it was hand-drawn with a traditional crow-quill. Heavy black inking and rich colors give this game a really unique presence that absolutely suits the game's dark and somber themes.

Read more of Terry O'Brien's Darkest Dungeon: Building an Old-School Roguelike with a Twist.

“When the senses are shaken, and the soul is driven to madness, who can stand?”- William Blake

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I got notified of the pre-order poll yesterday to choose what two additional characters will make it in time for early access.  I went with Jester and Houndmaster. Cannot wait to give this one a spin for real.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

I went with Jester and Leper. LEPER!!!

T

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    im a backer and went for Leper (LEPER!!!)) and man at arms...im really looking forward to the game - the art style, atmosphere and narration is top notch
  • patx6xpatx6x Member UncommonPosts: 11

if the game look like the video this another wasted game

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by patx6x

or its old school, coz it looks like it an OLD school

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Looks aren't everything for some, then again they are for the younger generation of gamers (pampered!).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    I got notified of the pre-order poll yesterday to choose what two additional characters will make it in time for early access.  I went with Jester and Houndmaster. Cannot wait to give this one a spin for real.

i did same image

The look is one of my favorite things, very gothic, tons of atmosphere. Really suits the environment of the game.

T

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I will be getting early access for this game, no doubt about it.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Silverthorn8

Looks aren't everything for some, then again they are for the younger generation of gamers (pampered!).

I would like to know what is old school in a flash game...

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Not sure its for me but you got to hand it too them for the character class of Leper, how did they get that one past the marketing suits? :)
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i especially like the warhammer/empire-esque style....
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    they had me at the leper!
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    It sounds very cool (only read first few paragraphs), but doesn't sound like an MMO unless 1,000,000 just happen to be undergoing the exact same situation with their family estate.    But maybe this isn't an MMO.  I did notice it's F2P which makes me think it is an MMO.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

single player RPG where you can control up to 4 heroes (out of 16)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

Will Darkest Dungeon have multiplayer features?

Darkest Dungeon is being designed from the ground up to be a single player game.

That being said, the $450,000 stretch goal involves some asynchronous multiplayer features focused on loaning and sharing heroes. But the core gameplay is still single player.

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Went with Man-at-Arms and Arbalest here.
  • JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36

I really like the concept of this 'Stress' system.  Reminds me of the 'Battle Fatigue' system from SWG.  Not enough MMOs have interesting status penalties, (let alone ANY penalties at all,) that have any long term (non-permanent) effects to your character(s).

It forces another layer of strategy in the realm of risk vs. reward evaluation.  It won't let you just keep charging in; die; respawn; charge in; die; respawn; ad nauseum...

I for one applaud the attempt to revive a greater sense of player accountability for their good or poor decisions.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    What annoys me about this is that MMORPG never cites the website of the game, or if it does makes it really hard to find. Just a peeve I have. 

Originally posted by Tsumoro
    What annoys me about this is that MMORPG never cites the website of the game, or if it does makes it really hard to find. Just a peeve I have. 

Umm, at the very top of the article, where it says Official Site? No? Not seeing it?

T

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

Lol try clicking the link that says "official site" it in the same spot everytime just have to use your eyes

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Definitely seems like an interesting concept, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

The trailers are actually amazing though. image

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    With the general disappointment of the MMORPG scene in the last few years, I find myself returning to single player adventures like this.  Currently, I'm fiddling with Divinity: Original Sin (wonderful little game), and have come to enjoy turn-based combat again.  I will definitely pick up Darkest Dungeon when it comes out. 

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626

was going to buy this because i really liked it how it looked

but then went to their website and they are charging 5 dollars more than release price to get into early access (NOT HOW IT SHOULD WORK)

and they are charging 30$ more for "an additional hero class" along with pdf files

and their model says they will be doing post launch DLC- meaning holding back content and selling it for more money...

Originally posted by Kratier

was going to buy this because i really liked it how it looked

but then went to their website and they are charging 5 dollars more than release price to get into early access (NOT HOW IT SHOULD WORK)

and they are charging 30$ more for "an additional hero class" along with pdf files

and their model says they will be doing post launch DLC- meaning holding back content and selling it for more money...

Yeah, we certainly don't want developers to make any money on their games. You should hold out until everything is free to play.

Let me know how that works out for ya.

T

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The legacy of F2P games =  every game online must be free or you are cheating us you bastards! :)