Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is 50% off, 3 months post release.

Comments

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59
    As many said it was just a special price because ESO went Steam and it was QuakeCon as well.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by dreamscaper
    And yet, almost a year after release, Final Fantasy XIV is still gaining subscribers and doesn't even have F2P as a blip on its radar. P2P is still viable, despite what the F2P junkies will try to tell you.

This. The games just have to actually be good for one, and constantly update for two (WoW excluded from this apparently).
    I don't like the F2P trend and I'm much more willing to P2P than P2W which almost every F2P game has now days.

As for ESO it will go F2P because overall the original fanboys have discovered its a bad MMO and an even worse Elder Scrolls game so they are quietly sweeping this one under the rug.

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by Sinaku

Originally posted by dreamscaper
    And yet, almost a year after release, Final Fantasy XIV is still gaining subscribers and doesn't even have F2P as a blip on its radar.

P2P is still viable, despite what the F2P junkies will try to tell you.

This. The games just have to actually be good for one, and constantly update for two (WoW excluded from this apparently).
    I don't like the F2P trend and I'm much more willing to P2P than P2W which almost every F2P game has now days.

As for ESO it will go F2P because overall the original fanboys have discovered its a bad MMO and an even worse Elder Scrolls game so they are quietly sweeping this one under the rug.

Thank for info.

im going to inform guild mates and people I play with. F it guys, we done goofed. The game actually sucks and we aparently arent having fun !

Clear lack of vision ( Quackecon ) and slew of bugs ( patched ) didnt kill the game, but those bots sure did ( havent seen any for a while ).

Also all those people coming back are all just plain wrong !

How could we sucumb to this.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I think that it by lowering the original game price, it will attract another group of people who may have not wanted to pay $60, plus a subscription fee. Now by lowering the game price, it will increase the amount of subscriptions. I believe that this is the reason for the price drop. 

When we talk about MMORPG success, we mainly look at total subscriptions. Well, Zenimax will likely add a bunch more subscriptions with this deal on Steam. And coupled with the Quakecon advertisement of the game, and all of the cool new features being added to the game, It makes for a smart marketing campaign.  

Personally, I think the game is very fun. But I prefer subscription model games.  Free to play games are cash grabs, and the game eventually revolves around little transactions instead of letting you immerse yourself into the game world.   ESO allows you to go slow,  and I like to take my time with games, exploring and gathering, crafting and questing. So, Elder Scrolls Online is right up my alley. I also love to pvp, and they are adding some cool new features.  

If Zenimax is successful with their game sale, subscriptions will increase,  which will create a stir within the MMORPG community.  More people will be playing it, talking about it and recommending the game. It is a win-win situation for ESO.  

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Just another bash thread, and we have had one about the price at least four times before. We get about one a month on price, the first were about TESO being too expensive the last few about how cheap it is. But no matter what the price is they always have an issue. :D
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Steam is not the only place having it on sale for 30$, various vendors are still.

GW2 took almost a year before it had a half off sale and hasn't had one since. B2P, but still. They're very successful, though it is hardly a MMORPG.

The leap I would have made is that Guild Wars 2 makes most of its money through box sales therefore it's a greater imperative to keep their box at the same price.

They then have a cash shop where they hope to make additional funds.

Elderscrolls Online wants to make back its investment but at some point it's more important to get subscribers than selling initial boxes for their original price.

Posts like this restore my faith that critical thinking isn't dead. It's weird that this escapes so many people here, or do they simply choose to ignore it? Either way, good post. /thread

Thank you sir! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DMKano

Seems pretty normal to me.

It's pretty normal for poorly made themeparks, yes.

All they need to do is two small changes to fix RvR and PvE and I'd play again, but they keep pushing instances and shitting on RvR.

• Acidon.NumenAcidon.Numen Member Posts: 55

This is the second thread today where I saw someone include Rift as a game that is dying.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Rift isn't dying.  It's actually seeing another resurgence since the announcement of the up-coming expansion (and another level increase).  I'm already geared for 3 roles + PvP, but I still want to cap my PA before the expansion.. So I'm playing again.

I dunno, I'm just tired of seeing Rift included as either a blatant WoW-Clone or as a game that's Dying.  It's neither.  It's true that it went F2P (with one of the best models out there).  It's true that it has 3D graphics, hotbars and questing hubs.  But the gameplay is nothing like WoW.  The mechanics are nothing like WoW. 

While WoW continues to dumb down their game, classes and talents, Rift keeps adding even more souls giving you even more freedom to create the custom class you want. 

I just don't get it.  But whatever.  This post won't change a damn thing.  Things like this irritate me, whether it's about a game I enjoy or not.  Just like some of the "reviews" I've seen for Archeage.  It's not a game for me, but some of the reviews are such biased unfounded drivel that it makes me sick.

This just in:  You don't have to hate every game that you don't play and/or enjoy.  More news @ 11.

Please Note: I'm done arguing with unreasonable people with an agenda and/or those that fail to see logic.

Argue if you must, discount my post with anti-logic and/or Hyperbole. I won't be responding any longer.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The game has been going on for £13 or $20 for some time now. No sale, no nothing. This is the price.

Most MMORPGs see ridiculous drops in price because they have a sub.

Also how can you comment on a game you don't own. You played for a few hours during beta? Big deal. You haven't really played the game. Why do you need to create a topic about a game you never owned??

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Acidon.Numen

This is the second thread today where I saw someone include Rift as a game that is dying.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Rift isn't dying.  It's actually seeing another resurgence since the announcement of the up-coming expansion (and another level increase).  I'm already geared for 3 roles + PvP, but I still want to cap my PA before the expansion.. So I'm playing again.

I dunno, I'm just tired of seeing Rift included as either a blatant WoW-Clone or as a game that's Dying.  It's neither.  It's true that it went F2P (with one of the best models out there).  It's true that it has 3D graphics, hotbars and questing hubs.  But the gameplay is nothing like WoW.  The mechanics are nothing like WoW. 

While WoW continues to dumb down their game, classes and talents, Rift keeps adding even more souls giving you even more freedom to create the custom class you want. 

I just don't get it.  But whatever.  This post won't change a damn thing.  Things like this irritate me, whether it's about a game I enjoy or not.  Just like some of the "reviews" I've seen for Archeage.  It's not a game for me, but some of the reviews are such biased unfounded drivel that it makes me sick.

This just in:  You don't have to hate every game that you don't play and/or enjoy.  More news @ 11.

Its just like folks claiming that FFXIV is gaining subs as if its a fact, when the only numbers that were ever officially released were concurrent logins, and accounts created. Neither of which tells you retention rate/active subscriptions.

Welcome to the internet. If someone like a game, anything regarding that game gets spun and bent into something positive. If someone dislikes a game, anything about the game gets spun and bent into a negative light, or gets labled as "company lies" etc etc.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Steam takes 40%, don't forget to factor that in.

So 50% off,.. and another 40% of the remaining price goes to Steam. They are basically at a "almost free, just not quite there yet"- state.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Steam is 30% of the price it sells at. Not 40.

So Steam gets 30% of the 50% off. So, 30% of 29.99$.

You do not add the 30+ 50

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• R3dbudR3dbud Member UncommonPosts: 23

Rift is NOT dying, its still handsdown, the best F2P raiding game out there...

and i couldnt care less about Eso, the game WILL BE F2P ANYWAY, not because its bad or dying or anything, its just F2P makes more Money.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

"I want an Elder Scrolls MMO".

Said no gamer.  Ever.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

"I want an Elder Scrolls MMO".

Agree completely.

First MMO I played I thought to myself, imagine how fabulous a Morrowind style MMO would be!

I didn't buy ESO myself. Played it a few times during the beta and I thought it was a well made, quite good MMO. But for my tastes they moved too far away from what I had loved so much about the single-player TES games.

I was on the border but planning to buy it for a while until they capped skill points. I also wasn't impressed with their deliberate ambiguity on the issue, trying to make it seem like the game was two mutually exclusive things to please two different crowds. If you have to resort to that kind of dishonest trickery to sell a product then...

I'm not surprised it's going on sale so soon but it is kind of sad. It might be normal for MMOs but ESO is a special case. It's an enormously popular IP with an enormously successful and well funded developer. As much as I personally prefer the sub model I think it was a bad choice in this case and that may have hurt them. The single player games had no subscription so a B2P model would have been more familiar and palatable to their TES customers.

Oh well.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Is normal.

These threads are lame.

You stay sassy!

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Another one of these posts huh? Someone always does this. Doom and gloom whenever a game drops in price. Like almost every other stinkin' MMO does eventually. Good lord.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

eso is the last mmo that took me for a ride.

I will never again just sub.

play for a month and if you are still interested then subscribe,i got bored in a view weeks.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Never said you had to add that up. Assumed everyone knows how do do % based math.

It is indeed 40% tho according to Sony (recently asked the playerbase why they wanted Landmark on Steam, stating that a 40% cut was pretty hefty just so you can download via steam).

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

Never said you had to add that up. Assumed everyone knows how do do % based math.

It is indeed 40% tho according to Sony (recently asked the playerbase why they wanted Landmark on Steam, stating that a 40% cut was pretty hefty just so you can download via steam).

Must be because it's Sony and Gaben doesn't like Sony. I've talked to a few other devs and they said Steam took 30%, while EA wanted 70%.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• starstar1starstar1 Member UncommonPosts: 62

I thought ESO was ok. I only like to sub one game at a time. With me playing WOW, Rift, and GW2, I just don't find ESO is able to pull me away for a long period. I would love if it went B2P like GW2, then I could rotate it as I do my other games lol. :)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Must be because it's Sony and Gaben doesn't like Sony. I've talked to a few other devs and they said Steam took 30%, while EA wanted 70%.

How much Steam gets could be different for every game. They will have standards "deals" for small indies; bigger publishers though - could be any sort of deal. An up front cost; a monthly charge; a percentage of the sale price; a flat rate; could be a combination of all of them and it could vary depending on how many copies of the game are sold. They could get more for the first sales - to cover their base costs - and less for higher sales.

What is beyond doubt however is that Steam will get paid something.  

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Basically, selling through Steam is roughly same as selling boxed copies of the game.

But since ESO is somehow supposed to live of subs....more sales=more potential subbers.

BUT also worth to notice "regualr" Steam price is rediculous, and im not really sure many (if anyone) will buy it at that price as there have been "50% off" deals since first week all over net and now its 15-16 euro standard price so...yeah....60/30 euros...

• Pedro124Pedro124 Member UncommonPosts: 8

The game was with 50% off as a promotion for steam since the game just joined the Steam games today is no longer at 50% off. However other sites like G2A where selling ESO from the start at 50% off so its only a matter of knowing where to look for the better deal in games.

The game will probably never go f2p. The reason is very simple Zenimax is a privately owned company so they do not have to present numbers to their shareholders providing the cashflow is positive they will remain sub mode only.

Right now ESO has like 770k subs and that is not that bad. Before the nay sayers come and say yeah but WOW has like 8 million so 770k is almost nothing well ..lets crunch some numbers shall we?

770.000*15= 11.550.000 dollars (month) 

I think they can make do with 11.5 million dollars a month ...granted the team developing is probably not as big as blizzard for WOW but they can make do especially because they only have 2 servers and not a boat load of them like blizzard and they only need a competent team of developers to push some content .

Right now at least from what i heard they are not that far from adding the thiefs guild to the game... which will more then likely keep people going and when those nay sayers that where hoping to get a free game to play realize they will have actually to buy the game if they want to play that number will more then likely go slightly up ...

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

are we still talking about this discount, as a huge thing ??

i mean wow