Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont understand why players try to scare off paying customers

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I never understood why mmo players, always love to shoe people away from their games. Esp ones that are dieing and need money to stay going. They get happy about it too, what is that? I mean the only people losing out of that, is the people scaring the player off, by being mean to him/her and saying we are happy your goingl. The person who leaves doesnt lose anything. Stupid is what i call it lol.

I guess thats where the old saying comes from, cut your nose off to spite your face......

Comments

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Many times when people are happy that someone is leaving is because the player just spent an hour announcing why they are leaving and dissing the game that the others are happily playing. 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Because most people are posterior-primates... Or at least behave like it online as it is the only place they can abuse others without having their face punched in.

The more dire the situation the more hostile the "natives" get.

This have been a good conversation

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    If the game is doing poorly, maybe the community is giving you good consumer advice. Most MMOs are run poorly by inept business men who do not understand how to build a customer base. They are just out for the quick buck. So its usually best to pay attention to what people say about a game because it speaks about that publisher's policy. To this day, Eve is treated as some holy relic with vehement community support; so its usually not some troll trying to inflict misery but the company who inflicted it upon themselves.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Sadly it is not always players.

To the best of my knowledge SOE started the practice and coined the term. 

However, now pretty much every game studio employees a viral marketing team, they are a group of people paid to create tons of accounts on every gaming site and every social media outlet. 

They are paid to hype their studios games at the same time trashing the competitions games.

Not every person who posts something great or something terrible about a game is a viral marketer, but a large portion of them are.  

Many times the viral marketers are people who will start a controversial thread, or will toss gasoline on a thread that has run out of steam. 

If viral marketing did not exist we the gamers would be spending 60-70 % less on games every year.  Most of those POS games we buy only play once then uninstall are the product of a viral marketing team convincing us to give that game a try.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by alltoreup

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt0anp7WK8

THanks that does explain it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Because either:

A, they see that the game is truly not good and want to genuinely steer players away from making a mistake or,

B, they are "hurt" and angry and have no direct way they can strike back at the company. Therefore, driving away players from the company/game is their way of feeling empowered and getting what they feel is justice.

Heck, I remember in Lineage 2, several players didn't like the open world pvp of the game. So what did they do? They went to the new player human zone (Talking Island) and would constantly pk new players with the idea of dissuading them from continuing with the game. They even came to the forums and announced their intent.

Some people are just angry and bitter and need to lash out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Because the "players" aren't.  Given that the preponderance of "players" don't even frequent forums such as these, the comments posted herein and read herein are either preaching to the choir or going in one ear and right out the other.  In other words, you give far more credence to this website than it ever has or ever will deserve.

Boo!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    In EVE it's considered culling the herd leaving only the strong to survive.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

Not really, in EVE there are also the butt hurt who don't have a game they want even after they read what the game was

Then there are those who never did the starter missions and had their ship blown up and complain constantly and ask or isk .. Must admit I have given some isk though. 1

Those who won't follow advice on how to make money to get said ship that blew up and so get a bounty :-) (they were annoying)

I find more of those types moaning and trying to dissuade people from EVE than herd culling

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

Some games are just not worth your money or time.  I use to buy every game that was out there, and about 60% of them were a waste of time and money.  Its beneficial to look at metacritic for reviews, what other gamers are saying about it, and gameplay videos.  You can also try  a demo if its available if you are on the fence still.  I would not look at just a few reviews about a game, instead look at a variety of resources.  Although if I look at a game and its below 70% reviews, I generally don't bother looking much more into that game.  Another thing I've been lookg at is steam, they sell some real stinkers over there.  Trying to package old games as new.  2D scrollers and old style games, blah.  

With regard to Eve online, I've played that game for a little while twice or three times, but overall I get sick of the limited gameplay and old graphics.  Also the combat was kind of slow.  Most people generally end up doing the same stuff over and over.  Doing something else while your playing Eve is common.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    In EVE it's considered culling the herd leaving only the strong to survive.

Yeah but EvE is that strange uncle that always dress in camo and invest his money in to MRE´s and building a bunker...

That being said Eve has a very healthy playerbase.

This have been a good conversation