Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 MMOs to Play with Non-MMO Players

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

By design, MMOs are more fun to play with your friends. Most of them encourage or even require grouping for a lot of the best and most rewarding content, which necessitates either being social in the game world, or coming into the experience with a pre-determined group of friends to play with. Sometimes though, it can be hard to find people. Not everyone that plays MMOs hang out with others that play MMOs. Maybe your group of friends sticks to the latest shooters and single player RPGs, or maybe your significant other just doesn’t pick up the controller or keyboard to game very often. Whatever the case may be, every MMO player wishes X friend would play in their favorite virtual worlds with them.

Read more of David Jagneaux's The List: 5 MMOs to Play with Non-MMO Players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88
    In my opinion "The Secret World" is missing. Good story, perfect business model for people that don't play very much and enough room to grow ingame if you choose to ...

Personally I wouldn't recommend subscription MMOs to people that normally don't play MMOs. Too much Investment (first buy the game and then pay to play) to find out if it's your cup of tea.
  • KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by blubsterer
    In my opinion "The Secret World" is missing. Good story, perfect business model for people that don't play very much and enough room to grow ingame if you choose to ...

I second that.

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Your #3) guild wars. is not a MMO in my eyes.
    to me MMO is:
    A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world.

Guild wars only massively player area is there town, the rest is all instances.

• BroodwichBroodwich Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Why isn't Planetside 2 on this list? If I were to try to get my FPS friends to see what's possible with many people that would be my go to. 
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester
    to me MMO is:
    A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world.

You do realize its Guild Wars 2 right? Have you played 2?

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    cannot believe the author mentioned TESO cause this is a game you hardly can play with a friend cause phasing destroyed it totally.

Change TESO with TSW cause solving riddles together is a blast.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

lotro has cash walls and eso every one just quest grinds no one plays together unfortunately and the game feels the same from level one upwards,i stopped at level 30 with lots of characters and everything felt the same.

maybe the witcher 3 will be the next elders scrolls type game I wanted,unfortunately no co-op.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    It's only a list of 5 titles, but basically almost every MMO released after (or had a major overhaul) 2006 can be put on this list... I do agree with the titles listed as ones that really DO NOT have the need for multi-player because of it's design/story.
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Planetside 2 - it's a shooter and it's target rich and people that play cod and have never played planetside 2 would probably shit themselves in a big boy war.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Star Wars The Old Republic should be on the list. I know more than a dozen people who do not play MMO's but they all play Bioware's game. 
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I do believe that WoW, ESO, GW2 and DC Universe are great titles to get non-mmo gamers into the MMO genre. I would replace LotRO with SWtoR (due to ToR having a mostly single player/small group story mode and very little beyond end game and UI elements that lend it to a traditional game play style)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I agree on Lotr:o Mostly because of the many things you can do that is not directly progression oriented and DCUO because it has a very easy curve with the game all the way up to 30 in essence being a long tutorial making for fast and fun play with little grind.

Once you hit 30 you better hope your non-mmo friends have become MMO friends... because beyond 30 the game is really ugly with the worst of grinds you will run in to this side of a eastern grinder... Unless you happen to be 8 people of diverse class and powerset... Then it will be peachy. =P

This have been a good conversation

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester
    to me MMO is:

He did put '2' in there - which is a vastly different game than 1... (even though i would argue 1 was also an mmo, but not the place to talk about that I suppose.)  

None of what you said is accurate for #3 :)

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Vindictus is also a great game for non MMO players

Mystery Bounty

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Tera could be added too :P

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    [mod edit]

Because?

Just curious as to why you would say such a thing among gamers with all sorts of different interest.

On topic I have few gamers friends in real life, most friends like other things, the few that do like games play mostly singleplayer games and every now and then we jump into a multiplayer games, I tried to get them into MMORPG but they never lasted more then a few day's, just not their type of game.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222
    good thing then  that he was talking about GW2 and not GW :)

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Think people are missing the point of this article....
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by Grinnz
    Think people are missing the point of this article....

The article has a point?  I think someone just put a shout out around the mmorpg.com office-

'I've got to do this bloody list article, any ideas?' 

'Five mmo's that... erm... people who don't play mmo's... erm ... might play'.  

'Finished' 

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779
    SWTOR has a great story to capture the interest of players. It's too bad it's wathered down by so many ininteresting quests. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"MMOs are more fun to play with your friends. Most of them encourage or even require grouping for a lot of the best and most rewarding content, which necessitates either being social in the game world, or coming into the experience with a pre-determined group of friends to play with."

Ten years ago they did, we are all non-MMO players now. You have about as much contact with other players as you have with commuters going into work. You are all on the same transport system but that's your only connection.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Defiance.

Only if I want my friends to hate mmos ;-)

• AkashicRecordsAkashicRecords Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Hate to break it to you but they stated Guild Wars 2 which is open world and the world is not instanced. Guild Wars 1 was like that they changed that in Guild Wars 2 because they wanted a living wold
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Was surprised firefall didn't make it... I have seen it capture the imagination of at least one non mmo player who happened to be into halo type games as well as scifi in general.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Scot

Ten years ago they did, we are all non-MMO players now.

Pretty much that was my first thought too. It would've been a much better list without the MMO part :)  (as in "MMOs to play with Non-Players")

And for such a list I agree with tawess, LotRO and DCUO are nice candidates. I know people who started DCUO just because they were comic addicts, and currently there are plenty of folks in LotRO who joined just for the course and haven't even played before - not MMOs, nothing. Maybe some Minesweeper. It's great fun to play with them and teach them, while talking about Tolkien, the scenery, etc.

Someone mentioned Defiance, it's not a bad candidate either, I know a dude who mostly plays strategy games (real ones, turn-based, not those crap Dune II clones) but he's a series addict, watching tv-series maybe 5-6 hours / day, and he liked / likes Defiance. Now he's planning to check the game, even if he doesn't like shooters nor MMOs. He's curious about the story :)