Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FYI Destiny is NOT a MMO Shooter.

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Just want to make sure this is said, so people don't get misinformed by the media and fans.

but the developers themselves have said its not a MMO. It's a shared world shooter. Not MMO shooter.

i see lots of media sites spreading this misinformation that this is a MMO, when the people making it said its not.

now it even has its own forum here on a MMO site which will cause even more confusion and misleading.

not sure if that's intended.

It

Doesn't

Matter

What

It's

Called

You seriously need to get over gaming taxonomy. It's not like there's some magical thing that happens when something is called an MMO.

League of Legends is an MMO. Did something happen to LoL?

League of Legends is not an MMO. How about now, did anything change?

MMO is a general term these days, no one cares except you. Build a bridge.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Maybe we need a new acronym, I think we know who can help with that.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    There are no MMOs anymore, just singleplayer games ran on a server where once in a while people happen to bump into one another. MMOs died the moment that some genius decided that they needed to make players feel special, so now everyone has an epic storyline to follow, other players just get in the way of that.

Until March.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Online shared world with persistent characters w/ progression....

Class based mechanics (heavily hinted at in recent videa showing Titan, Warlock, Hunter "classes")

It blurs the line between "traditional" multiplayer and massively multiplayer.

Will it have offline play?

PMOTPS?

Persistent Online Multiplayer Third Person Shooter?

LOL whatever it doesn't matter.

MMO or not MMO, I'm happy MMORPG.com is covering.

Agree - although if things work out as devs are suggesting it won't just blur the line it will redefine it. The bedrock of a "traditional" mmo based on a single server without the failings - server mergers, trains, boss mobs just killed, unable to find a group etc.

• Vexus_XVexus_X Member UncommonPosts: 57

This is the most important thread of the game.

But besides that, regarding the last post here...

Why do you always want a party to group with?

Do you like WoW now that you instantly teleport into a dungeon with 4 strangers?

How many friends have you made this way?

I remember when yeah, it could take 3 hours to get one run together. But then you met people who were on at the same time as you, and who played well, and you kept note. You looked for them next time. And became friends.

BUT I retreat from the thread; the only focus is the instant gratification, carry on.

This game is not an MMO. Neither is LoL. MMORPG is a sellout of a website and in doing so even South Park's game can be listed on this site. Not that there's anything wrong with that. People gotta make money.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Venomania
    It's annoying when people try and say "It's not an MMO", it IS an MMO. Marketing mumble jumble doesn't change facts. It's an mmo. There are plenty of MMO's that have variations on instanced worlds. Seemless, instanced zones/maps. I could describe every MMO as something else,  make some fancy pants none MMO term for what type of game they are. Lol Coined the term MOBA, it caught on and now it is a genre. This is not the same situation, this game doesnt do anything different enough to warent  anew genre. It is an mmo-shooter. 

Aeon of Strife mod for Starcraft was the first moba and the first to use the term. Where you get League of Legends inventing anything is beyond me.

As for the "mmo/notmmo" argument, this site stopped catering to actual mmos a long time ago, so no point in even arguing about it.

Really? Always thought that the Warcraft 3 Mod DOTA was the first MOBA.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MMOman101

Maybe we need a new acronym, I think we know who can help with that.

nah .. just change the meaning of the old acronym .. that is more convenient. It is not like there are a lot of gamers care about the old traditional MMOs anyway.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    I don't care what it is labeled as.. just can't wait to play!!!!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    I don't care what it is labeled as.. just can't wait to play!!!!

yeh ... that is what i would say .. i care about if the game is good, not what it is labeled as.

• AntiheroDAntiheroD Member UncommonPosts: 43

its not an mmo, i find it hilarious that so many think it is. And you know the MMORPG is about money not accuracy anymore its the biggest reason i dont come here as often. but i was i looking up to find out if destiny was a true mmo or not. after everything ive read its not.

just because you can sit in lobby with 200k people doesnt make the game a MMO. stop being retarded.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet.[1] MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.

Its an mmo but not in the traditional sense.  You are able to see other random people in the open world in Destiny, the number of people allowed to see in the open world varies depending on the zone and event, for example in Public Events you are able to see multiple fire teams each with multiple players.  The persistent world is shared by massive amounts of players simultaneously, thats what defines an mmo not the amount of players each individual player can see on his screen.  in Destiny case it is simultaneous but the limit of players on screen is phased, Neverwinter and ESO uses the same mechanics and those are considered mmos.  I dont see any definition that states each player must be capable of seeing a certain number of people on his screen to make it an "mmo"

BF4, CoD multi-player and games like that are not mmos because they do not have persistent worlds where each map is connected by another map and you can just walk between them either seamlessly or through a loading screen.  And their servers dont support thousands of players

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    It's annoying when people try and say "It's not an MMO", it IS an MMO. Marketing mumble jumble doesn't change facts. It's an mmo. There are plenty of MMO's that have variations on instanced worlds. Seemless, instanced zones/maps. I could describe every MMO as something else,  make some fancy pants none MMO term for what type of game they are. Lol Coined the term MOBA, it caught on and now it is a genre. This is not the same situation, this game doesnt do anything different enough to warent  anew genre. It is an mmo-shooter. 

Aeon of Strife mod for Starcraft was the first moba and the first to use the term. Where you get League of Legends inventing anything is beyond me.

As for the "mmo/notmmo" argument, this site stopped catering to actual mmos a long time ago, so no point in even arguing about it.

While there were plently of MOBAs prior to LoL (the Dota mod for WC3 was the most popular), Riot games were indeed the first to refer to the genre as a whole as "mobas". He never said they "invented" mobas, he said they "coined the term", which, they indeed did.

Just like Ultima online. Though you can name a few games that were mmorpgs before UO, lord british was the first to use the term mmorpg to decribe the genre.

As for destiny, iv been playing the beta all day. The game is essentially like Diablo 3. Would you consider D3 an MMO? The only difference between the two is that other players can appear near you while you are outside of a mission.

• gothmog99zgothmog99z Member Posts: 22

Developers say its not a MMO so it's not a MMO.

have you played the game yet?

how can you say it's a MMO when the people that makes it said it isn't?

developers say games are 'ftp' as well.developers say a lot of things that end up not being true. mmo is a game played by multiple people with a persistent world,online.now what part of mmo does destiny NOT fit,is it not online?does it not have multiple people play?is the world not persistent?

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Snakester95
    It's now confirmed to be a third person shooter, still a shared world shooter though.

*boggle* Wha? Ok I admit I haven't read the 6+ pages of replies because well I've been playing Destiny...Without having people in my fire team, I was still on a map with at least 9 other people....While not massively it is still multiplayer and online....As for the 3rd person shooter...ummm, looks pretty first person view to me...cept when you're in the hub.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I've never heard of Destiny being referred to as an MMO. But I haven't been looking into it a ton.
    It's now confirmed to be a third person shooter, still a shared world shooter though.

I've been playing the beta all day long; no shooting is done in 3rd person. If you wern't blue/MMORPG.com staff, I would assume this was a troll post :/

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by doodphace

I've been playing the beta all day long; no shooting is done in 3rd person. If you wern't blue/MMORPG.com staff, I would assume this was a troll post :/

This thread, and that post, are over a year old. I'd say we've all got a much better idea of what the game is now than we did a year ago.

Wow, i didnt realise this was a necro....my bad.

Originally posted by AntiheroD

its not an mmo, i find it hilarious that so many think it is. And you know the MMORPG is about money not accuracy anymore its the biggest reason i dont come here as often. but i was i looking up to find out if destiny was a true mmo or not. after everything ive read its not.

just because you can sit in lobby with 200k people doesnt make the game a MMO. stop being retarded.

it is online,i saw lots of people in the game(yes i played it) you have omg quests,(or missions),you level,you play a anotehr person,frankly i do not see how it is NOT an mmo,it uses guns and no mmo uses guns?but some people do not want to play mmo so they want to call it something else i guess.

Originally posted by majinant

Is it massive? Is it multiplayer? Is it online?

What is so hard to understand here?

So is BF3, so is CoD, so is MAG

are any of them MMO shooters as well?

hey well I guess MMORPG.com staff need to add them to the list.

they are NOT persistent worlds are they?NO you do a mission and then you wait for another.you cannot walk around the world,as it vanishes.nice try.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by gothmog99z
    Originally posted by majinant

Is it massive? Is it multiplayer? Is it online?

What is so hard to understand here?

So is BF3, so is CoD, so is MAG

are any of them MMO shooters as well?

hey well I guess MMORPG.com staff need to add them to the list.

they are NOT persistent worlds are they?NO you do a mission and then you wait for another.you cannot walk around the world,as it vanishes.nice try.

The definition of the acronym 'MMO' is listed on page 7 of this thread.

While having a persistent world is common amongst MMOs, it's not a requirement. Unless you're talking to MMO purists on the MMORPG.com forums who believe if a game isn't UO or SWG, it isn't an MMO.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's more an MMO than GW1 was. Not by a lot id say they are in a similar category though. It is slightly less an MMO than defiance though ironically it has much better MMO features.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Whether a game that is online, has the potential to have more than a handful of people in a PvE environment, and has character progression is an MMO or not makes me think there needs to be created a scientific classification for video games.

Kingdom - Entertainment

Phylum - Games

Class - Video (Board, Card, Video, etc)

Order - Console (Arcade, Computer, Console,  etc)

Family - Online (Offline only, Online capability)

Genus - Multi-player (Multi-player, Single-player with online components such as stat tracking)

Species - Virtual World (Action, Puzzle, Strategy, Virtual World)

Sub-Species -

1. FPS (games that have first person perspectives)

2. RPG (games with character progression)

3. PVE (games with player vs environment aspects)

4. PVP (games with player vs player aspects)

So Destiny is clearly a  OMVW (Online Multiplayer Virtual World) with FPS, RPG, PVE, and PVP flavors. Or in otherwords an OMVWFPSRPGPVEPVP. Or maybe we can all just agree Destiny is a type of MMO. But that would require people to get it out of their heads that MMO doesn't mean "A WoW clone."

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Who cares if its called an MMO or not.

everyone should read the game descriptions and decide if they think it is fun or not...  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    that's because mmos are released on the pc - systems that can handle em :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• I did not read all posts, so dunno if anyone has said this yet.

Think of Destiny as Guild Wars 1 when it comes to the MMO part.

GW1 had hubs where you could see other players. But once you ventured outside of those hubs you were either alone (later on you could hire NPC companions) or you made a group inside a hub to venture with.