Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So It's 2014 soon 2015

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

What dreams and thoughts did you had when you started playing your first MMO how future MMOs looked like and behaved, what kind of features did you dream about back then would be in now?

For me a whole gaming world were you could do what you wanted, you want to go into that dungeon fine go, you wanted to build chairs and paint, fine you do that, open a tavern, fine just go ahead, build a village and expand it into a great city sure why not.

NPCs migrated and respawned randomly, epic AI, mobs could join forces and launch an attack on a village and it was up the the players to defend or not.

If you and your firends cleared a cave, new monster can move in, if they are not checked more will spawn and harder it gets to clear it and if its still not clear they will launch an attack at any close by village or town.

You want to be  a farmer, fine you do that sow your crops and make bread and other things, you want to be a thief go ahead but dont get cought u will end up in jail.

Well I can go on and on about this but this were some of the features I envisioned back in the late 90s how future MMOs could have been, ohboy were I wrong, I hope the dream might come true at some point.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Well, there's life again... always falling short of my expectations. :/
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    lol, are we starting to use the car sales calendar? It's the middle of summer still, lets not rush things just yet.  =)
  • thunberg123thunberg123 Member Posts: 20

I was imagining as a youth how cool the graphics would be, and how awesome everything would become just simply to that fact.  Me and my friends were all discussing this from time to time,  and we were longing to get there. 

But I have never been more sad of getting what I once wanned. Todays games is spexed shells without much in it, and lots of shorts-cuts, overbalance, total fairness and poor (if any) ranking systems.    =  A world made for the malechick. 

And dont missunderstand.  I'm not too hardcore. I'm not too talanted.  But there has to be  those who have, and those who have less. Else there is no carrot to drag anyones interest. 

Luckly DotA and mobas was invented into gaming which I have been playing since 2007. Because other than that, nothing much have been too appealing for me. But the last 2 years of different moba games,, it kind of slipp my interest aswell....  and here I'm sitting, whining.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I was hoping for something very close to the pen and paper experience. I got some hope when Bioware released Neverwinter nights (yeah, it is not really a MMO) but that was as close as it got.

It is too bad, what is worst is probably they they never got past the single solution to any quest thing. In P&P you actually have to think and plan but most problems have a multitude of possibly solutions to them. Any questbased MMOs forces you to solve it exactly as everyone else and preferably while telling you step by step exactly what to do.

GW2 DEs are a little better since they often at least give you several options but they still hold your hand and tell you just what you must do, even if you can pick one thing out of 5 or whatever.

I want to plan how to steal a castles gold, I want to find my own solution to stop a war between 2 nations and so on....

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Except for painting, all of the OP's ideas are viable for implementing in a MMO.  Painting a wall would only be viable if it was a quick color change and not the ability to put art on the wall.  This is due to the potential bandwidth required to send textures versus just sending a color code.

I'm sure developers have though about those features.  The problem with the ideas is that they may not add fun to a game.  For example, an NPC wanders off, but you need him to finish a quest.  That frustrates players and results in lost subscriptions if it happens too often.  Mobs did launch attacks on outposts in Tabula Rasa, but it didn't make the game more fun after players got bored of defending.

My point is:  features require careful consideration and even more planning before implementation.  Developers have to think about how a feature will add more fun to a game or if it will frustrate players and cause them to leave the game.  They can't just throw a bunch of disconnected features in a game and expect to succeed.  

• warriorpoet7warriorpoet7 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Torgrim

What dreams and thoughts did you had when you started playing your first MMO how future MMOs looked like and behaved, what kind of features did you dream about back then would be in now?

For me a whole gaming world were you could do what you wanted, you want to go into that dungeon fine go, you wanted to build chairs and paint, fine you do that, open a tavern, fine just go ahead, build a village and expand it into a great city sure why not.

NPCs migrated and respawned randomly, epic AI, mobs could join forces and launch an attack on a village and it was up the the players to defend or not.

If you and your firends cleared a cave, new monster can move in, if they are not checked more will spawn and harder it gets to clear it and if its still not clear they will launch an attack at any close by village or town.

You want to be  a farmer, fine you do that sow your crops and make bread and other things, you want to be a thief go ahead but dont get cought u will end up in jail.

Well I can go on and on about this but this were some of the features I envisioned back in the late 90s how future MMOs could have been, ohboy were I wrong, I hope the dream might come true at some point.

Well for one I would never had thought MMO gamers would become some of the most vile, entitled and needlessly judgemental people ever to grace the genre. 

MMOs have become far more focused on swift progression to a "MAX" level with repetitious end-game content to eek out X number more points than ANYTHING else. Story, Lore, Risk ... all takes a back seat to this sort of gameplay. MMOs have taken the FPS mentality of extremely angst and competitiveness and just slapped on the RPG tag. 

Who is at fault? Developers and Players.

Devs for Enabling current  Player behavior/entitlement

and Players for becoming  as they are ... angst-ridden and entitled.

Solution? None ... not unless a strong game comes out that doesn't cater to the current mentality ... 

No game has ever been perfect ... by some games had perfect systems. (ie: How PvP worked in DAoC, how death and punishment worked in classic EQ). 

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by warriorpoet7

Well for one I would never had thought MMO gamers would become some of the most vile, entitled and needlessly judgemental people ever to grace the genre. 

MMOs have become far more focused on swift progression to a "MAX" level with repetitious end-game content to eek out X number more points than ANYTHING else. Story, Lore, Risk ... all takes a back seat to this sort of gameplay. MMOs have taken the FPS mentality of extremely angst and competitiveness and just slapped on the RPG tag. 

Who is at fault? Developers and Players.

Devs for Enabling current  Player behavior/entitlement

and Players for becoming  as they are ... angst-ridden and entitled.

Solution? None ... not unless a strong game comes out that doesn't cater to the current mentality ... 

No game has ever been perfect ... by some games had perfect systems. (ie: How PvP worked in DAoC, how death and punishment worked in classic EQ). 

Can I be vile, entitled and judgemental about you being vile, entitled and judgemental about MMORPG gamers being vile, entitled and judgemental? *passes hypocrisy baton to next guy*

• MastaccolliMastaccolli Member UncommonPosts: 100

So years ago when people were complaining that all games were turning into WoW clones, they were flamed.  When people started saying that they didn't like the on-rail theme park direction the mmo games were going, they were told to go play something else if they didn't like it.  Now the WoW generation of players has gotten a little older and are looking at the theme park games looking for more?  Classic.

OP, Im not attacking or directing this at you, but your thread is very indicative of many threads that I have seen as of late.  Unfortunately innovation had left the industry and was replaced with greed; everyone trying to ride another's success.  It may take some time but I am hopeful that someone will take the risk and open the genre back up. 

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Was hoping this year's releases would take my interest MMORPG wise but basically none have.

Looking forward? It's pretty bleak. A sea of endless low budget indie MMOs that have some good ideas but look absolutely terrible.

We really have no major releases to come now. Sure I guess there's Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous but honestly those games are very limited to me since they're more flight combat simulator than full RPG.

Even if a strong contender gets announced soon it's going to be years until release.. so I guess it's a long break for me now.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

How about game like warcraft III with world editor where you can make your own custom maps to play with 100 or 1000 players ?

After all , best game for you is a game you create your own .

I look follow for tools that help people to create they own multiplayer online RPG , something like D&D book rule that help to craft the game.

I ready want to see day when everyone can craft they own MMORPG easy like make PnP RPG  .

If that happen then i will call it true evolution of MMORPG lol .

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Do the OP is sad that the star trek holodeck is not reality yet. ROFL!!

Don't you get a farm in WoW anyway?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I'd love to see a game like Neverwinter Nights (Bioware), but on much larger scale, allowing people to do their own MMORPG without having to worry about art and animation which are the main showstoppers in indie games.

I love what they did with Unity, I think it's a major step but it's yet not enough.

I would love to see a Forgotten Realms MMO that takes place in all of Faerun, not a chop chop lvl 1-50 themepark MMO but a sandbox which epic quests that can takes weeks to do, and If i dont want to kil stuff, I just buy a plot build a house and perhaps a blacksmith, grow my own herbs in my garden.

Help build a new village and run for office, upgrade the village, with NPC guards, better walls, more houses you name it, and if i get bored doing that i go out questing with friends.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I'd love to see a game like Neverwinter Nights (Bioware), but on much larger scale, allowing people to do their own MMORPG without having to worry about art and animation which are the main showstoppers in indie games.

I love what they did with Unity, I think it's a major step but it's yet not enough.

I would love to see a Forgotten Realms MMO that takes place in all of Faerun, not a chop chop lvl 1-50 themepark MMO but a sandbox which epic quests that can takes weeks to do, and If i dont want to kil stuff, I just buy a plot build a house and perhaps a blacksmith, grow my own herbs in my garden.

Help build a new village and run for office, upgrade the village, with NPC guards, better walls, more houses you name it, and if i get bored doing that i go out questing with friends.

Yeah, the plot of land will be acquired by a foot race to the plot first.  Then spending an inordinate amount of in-game or real money to get it.  Then they'll tax it to the point that you'll spend every second in game doing something you don't like just to be able to keep your plot of land.  And when that gets old, a flood will hit the lands or a dragon will put it all ablaze and you will have to do it all over again.