Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isnt there more hype about Camelot Unchained?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

Game has RvR, crafting and housing. It features a 100% RvR-based leveling track for all combat (non crafter) classes. All leveling comes from engaging in RvR whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

So far, we have committed to 12 races and classes at launch plus a unique pure “crafter-only” class and that number can go up, not down, over the next two years.

12 races and classes. Now thats a lot of variety for a new mmo at launch.

Comments

• nomotagnomotag Member UncommonPosts: 166
    They are bad at getting the word out. I Poked around for information the other day, but wasn't able to find much. No gameplay or anything and the webpage wasn't all that informative.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I'd imagine because the main focus of the game is RvR PVP. PVP isn't nearly as popular as most of its vocal supporters think it is.

<3

• ArtwolfArtwolf Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Its in its infancy stage still. When a lot of these great "on paper" ideas make it into the game so we can actually see it working, then hype will build.
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    They sure have good ideas and if they manage to capture some of the magic that I felt while playing Dark Age Of Camelot it will surely get the hype they deserve. But I don't think a game like that will get hype until we see good videos of the game. I think gamers have learned through the years that too much hype only leaves you dissapointed in the end. So when they show some gameplay videos I am sure the hype will rise.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    So far it is all talk, until they start putting out in-game videos and demos the hype will stay low.
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    I'd imagine because the main focus of the game is RvR PVP. PVP isn't nearly as popular as most of its vocal supporters think it is.

I love RvR but I actually I agree. When I played DAOC I played it for RvR. But then years after when Warhammer came I noticed that I actually needed some PvE as well at max level. Even though it didn't help my character. It gets boring fast to just do RvR because often there is so much frustration. Realmates acting selfish, realmmates playing extremely bad, realmmates giving up, enemies are too many, enemies are too few etc etc.

In DAOC I think I liked it because of their PvP-reward system. With good realm-abilities that you could get as you raised in PvP-rank.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by cerulean2012
    So far it is all talk, until they start putting out in-game videos and demos the hype will stay low.

they send out information several times per month to backers updating people on the development. Sometimes they include small videos of what they are working on.

What they are doing is "smart".

Instead of saying "hey we have x, y, and z" and then changing "x, y and z" and getting angry gamers complaining on forums to  they are working and letting out information when they have it and when it's more solid.

This recent spate of information is their first release to the public as far as I know.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by funcon

Game has RvR, crafting and housing. It features a 100% RvR-based leveling track for all combat (non crafter) classes. All leveling comes from engaging in RvR whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

So far, we have committed to 12 races and classes at launch plus a unique pure “crafter-only” class and that number can go up, not down, over the next two years.

Tree of savior has 80 classes and Archeage has 240ish class combinations which are continually tweaked to bring the to some level of parity. Archeage also does not lock you into two predetermined progression paths. Not saying CU is bad but so far it is unremarkable for a P2P game.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    It's not even in alpha yet...
  • teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

It's just b/c it's not even close to Alpha, and the release date is so far off (2 years at least according to MJ). As things get more set in stone, and we start seeing in-game screencaps and videos, I think you'll see a LOT more hype and chatter about the game.

I personally am crazy excited the game is being made and can hardly wait, but it's just so damn far off yet and sooo much can change between now and then...and I hate to use this as an example, but it being the last game Mark Jacobs was involved with so I have to, but just look at what happened w/ WAR. That game was going to be pure awesome w/ it's campaigns, a different one for each race and it all ending in huge city sieges of the six races home cities. All of it seemed to add up until DAoC 2 in a Warhammer skin (how could u lose with that, right?), but look how it turned out. Granted, I don't believe all that fault can lay in MJ's lap, as I think much of what the game became was reactionary in nature to what WoW was doing and what EA wanted it to be (i.e. more "WoWish, less DAoCish).

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

1.  There is an enormous difference between "already has" and "hopefully will someday have".

2.  There is an enormous difference between "already has well-implemented features" and "already has half-baked features that sounded good on paper".

3.  There is an enormous difference between "game is playable and robust" and "implemented features are far enough along to release a demo video".

-----

Add to that, the track record of kickstarter games is dismal.  Now, if a successful beta test arrives, expect to see more hype.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Because this is 2014 and until it's 2017, they're not even worth thinking about.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    To get hyped we need to see something. Words and promises won't do it. People are cautious after so many failed MMOs that didn't even deliver a fraction of what they promised. Also the huge amount of BSC ideas in this game will make most people cautious/skeptical.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    Couple reasons I think. We haven't seen much gameplay a little of pre alpha and that's about it I might be wrong but that's all I could find and to be honest anyone can talk a good game its if they can pull it off. Mark  has also stated they don't want to over hype the game because it isn't going to be for everyone as its main focus is Realm vs Realm PVP. I personally like everyone they have said about the game but wait till I play to pass judgement.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Well... there is enough hype. They have already funded their game with a successful kickstarter.(over 2$ from crowdfunding)

And there was not a lot of worthy information after the kickstarter until now(the BSC days), and even most of the info on the BSC days(which by the way i enjoyed very much, and liked all of what i have heard there) is mostly design papers.

They are in a very early development stage.. it takes time to make a good game, and they have the money to make what they want(crowdfund money 2$mil+ and 3$ mil additional from Mark Jacobs(2) and another unnamed investor(1)).

So.. it really is enough hype.. at some point at time it will most probably be overhyped as almost any game in the recent years. But for that they have to be almost finished and dish out BetaAccess Weekends, and be able to show actual gameplay. With other words in maybe 2-3 years.. so be patience.. and hopefully they do next year or so something similar like BSC days, because that was really a fun and successful event in my humble opinion.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Probably because it has the stigma of being "old school".  Nostalgia isn't that great.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Add to that, the track record of kickstarter games is dismal.  Now, if a successful beta test arrives, expect to see more hype.

The track recod of kickstarter games is dismal? Seriously? Just recently we do have some kickstarter MMO, and non of the can be finished in that timeframe.. non of them is 5 years+ in development.

- Pathfinder Online. around $1mil - Jan 13, 2013

- Shroud of the Avater. around $2 mil - April 7, 2013

- Camelot Unchained. around $2 mil - May 2, 2013

and if you want count them as MMOs add Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. And i will not count any MMO kickstarter wanting less than a $1million, because those were not really serious developers.. and you do have some bad apples.. but what do you expect from a game like Greed Monger(asking for $30k, even got $90k)? What can you expect from $90k? A demo? Maybe, but more? Most likely not.

All of them started end of 2012 or 2013.. that is not even 2 years in development. What do you expect?

And about games in general FTL: Faster than Light (kickstarter Aug 2012) is already released and i would call it a success. And even for normal computer games a development cycle above 2 years is anything than unusual.

So about what do you talk? Lets talk in 2018 again, when all of those have 5 years development cycle on their shoulders, and how many of them will have already be released(and i bet not all of them), and how it will look then. To judge now is completely to early..

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Simple answer:

NO PVE

Most people want a true RPG style experience and that entails having a strong player versus environment to progress to.  If there's no PvE why not stick with a FPS or a MOBA?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• anrenruianrenrui Member UncommonPosts: 21
    There's a lot of reasons why there is not much hype in comparison to other mmorpg games. The crowed is a little different, after all, we are people who remember the times of EQ/UO/DAOC ect. ect. People who are following this, generally, I would say, have a bit of a different mindset than the "It's my money and I need it now" generation.
  • zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

Not enought advertisement (maybe lack of funds?)

There is a reason why marketing cost a bomb. At this point, creating a solid game may have a higher priority than advertising (or hyping, you know, that hot, strawberry scented air...)

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Way too far from release to be hyping it.

The people who are interested are following it. Others don't want to hear about it until it is a LOT closer to launch.
  • zachary4828zachary4828 Member Posts: 3

What you are telling us is what they want the game to be, not what the game is. DAoC is my all time favorite game, and I would love CU to live up to that, but it isn't even in a state where its worth hyping yet. 

We have Archage coming up, and Elder Scrolls Online PvP is already amazingly close to that DAoC feel. 

I love the idea of CU, but getting hyped over press releases is only going to end badly.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Its a game focused on crafting, RvR, and RP, in other words, very niche, and very specific target audience.

Its a good thing IMO because it will keep the people who are into more mainstream content away and should bred a pretty intense cult following among though who liek those systems.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

When pvp is a major focus, I ignore the game.