Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is "seasonal gear"?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

From Dulfy's coverage of the transcript:

"In the Champion system, we will have more gear introduced by seasons where there is no level requirement. They will be harder to get. Season 8 gear will be more powerful than season 7 gear for example but the season 7 gear will be more readily available. There will be a solution for crafting as well."

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/12/eso-paul-sage-the-road-ahead-qa-transcript/

I haven't watched the whole talk or read the transcript. Most of the changes sound really good to me. But this "seasonal gear" thing has me worried.

• Is the the beginning of a gear grind?
  • What will this mean for crafters?

I'm confused. If this is marginalizing crafters and introducing a gear grind, it would be a game-breaker for me no matter how many other changes are made.

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

It makes me glad I left when I did.  This is essential an attempt to make ESO into a game that it is not. 

Thing is, the people who bought and subscribed to the game did so with the expectation of a game that was relatively similar to how it was advertized...  A story driven game with crafting being very important.

Some people hated the VR levels and left, others thrived in the difficult environment.  When they changed them, it was very unlikely to bring back people who played for a month or two and left when they hit VR2, but was very likely to remove the challenge from the middle players who made it to VR5-10 in the deep end and now were thrust into the kiddie pool.

These changes will marginalize all the work that people did becoming expert crafters. 

As for the AA system, sure, that would have been great if the game had started with such a thing, but by the time they unravel the VR levels (and actually I see why they want to -- in a way the VR levels are more powerful than regular levels because they up your caps and skills while not making them more expensive), I am guessing it will end up quite hard to balance and will end up (for a long time) defining a role for your character in a game where you currently have some role choice. 

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by d_20

Season 8 gear will be more powerful than season 7 gear for example but the season 7 gear will be more readily available. There will be a solution for crafting as well."

Sounds like the beginning of a gear treadmill to me. As someone who is currently on the fence, this pushes me away from the idea of picking it up (even though I admittedly mostly want to play to just experience the story). The "solution for crafting" better be a damn good one, or I imagine people that have already invested serious time into it will be seriously pee-ohed if this "season gear" ends up being leaps and bounds better than anything you could craft (like it is in most themepark MMO's).

Edit: Then again, I suppose if you're not doing end game content (end game dungeons/raids/adventures/whatever), then your gear doesn't need to be the absolute best. Still, gear treadmills are dull and are a dime a dozen. 

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I think they're just renaming "veteran level" to "season".
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Just add salt and pepper

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• jojommojojommo Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by ohioastro
    I think they're just renaming "veteran level" to "season".

I think season refer to RvR campaigns. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yeah the name and description are sort of weird. Hopefully we'll find out more after 4 Central today.... which, BTW, will be live on Twitch if you're interested: http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Seasonal gear to me sounds like winter cloaks... furs etc.

Was playing Skyrim with mods and thats the first thing that jumps out when I hear "seasonal gear"

Reading the article though I have no idea lol

• JackCracker411JackCracker411 Member UncommonPosts: 69

"In the Champion system, we will have more gear introduced by seasons where there is no level requirement. They will be harder to get. Season 8 gear will be more powerful than season 7 gear for example but the season 7 gear will be more readily available. There will be a solution for crafting as well."

I haven't watched the whole talk or read the transcript. Most of the changes sound really good to me. But this "seasonal gear" thing has me worried.

I'm confused. If this is marginalizing crafters and introducing a gear grind, it would be a game-breaker for me no matter how many other changes are made.

They've always said crafted gear will be better then gear that drops.  I don't understand your problem.  People need to seriously learn about the game before complaining.  

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by JackCracker411

They've always said crafted gear will be better then gear that drops.  I don't understand your problem.  People need to seriously learn about the game before complaining.  

I'm glad that they've always said crafted gear will be better than drops. Does that mean they won't change their stance? Are you taking that as an iron-clad guarantee?

Since you don't understand my problem, I will explain more clearly. Gear is a major part of most mmorpgs. Crafting was also supposed to be important in ESO. I spent a lot of time and effort maxing out 4 crafting skills. That was fun for me. I don't want to see this trivialized as crafting is in other mmorpgs with gear grind. My problem with this lies in the ambiguity of what was said and lack of detail relevant to my concerns. Do you understand now?

What should I learn more seriously? I understand the game as it is now. These are changes being mentioned by the developers. What have you learned about the game that I don't know? Could you share of your knowledge then?

I'm not "complaining" yet. I'm asking some questions and specifying my concerns.

• JackCracker411JackCracker411 Member UncommonPosts: 69

I'm glad that they've always said crafted gear will be better than drops. Does that mean they won't change their stance? Are you taking that as an iron-clad guarantee?

Since you don't understand my problem, I will explain more clearly. Gear is a major part of most mmorpgs. Crafting was also supposed to be important in ESO. I spent a lot of time and effort maxing out 4 crafting skills. That was fun for me. I don't want to see this trivialized as crafting is in other mmorpgs with gear grind. My problem with this lies in the ambiguity of what was said and lack of detail relevant to my concerns. Do you understand now?

What should I learn more seriously? I understand the game as it is now. These are changes being mentioned by the developers. What have you learned about the game that I don't know? Could you share of your knowledge then?

I'm not "complaining" yet. I'm asking some questions and specifying my concerns.

What you are doing is speculating the worst case scenario for ESO crafters.  Then some ignorant person is going to read your comment and think crafting is pointless, when in fact... crafters are a big part of ESO and there is no reason to think otherwise.  If I want a whole set.. I have two choices... go grind until I get all the drops I need or rely on a crafter (like yourself) to create it for me.  I prefer to pay a crafter to make my gear because it's always better than what drops.  This has always been the case with ESO and there's no reason to think otherwise.  Hell.. I just droped 10k on a set when I hit V1.  I just dropped another 2k on potions from a crafter in shout.  C'mon man.. why are you speculating the worst case scenario.. especially since the last sentence in your quote from Duffy was: "There will be a solution for crafting as well."?  I don't know how you are reading into it that crafting is being marginalized.  

• GoobyYoYoGoobyYoYo Member Posts: 8
    I was almost about to give the game a benefit of the doubt and buy it for 50% off on Steam.  Seems like a fair price.  But this news worries me and seems to be putting me back to where I was earlier.  Why add seasonal or tiered gear to an action oriented pvp game?  To me that seems to take player skill and throw it out the window.  Do they have a pvp stat such as "resilience" or "expertise" and if not, do they plan to add that too?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

There has been an announcement from Zenimax about future gear items, it is a bit vague.

Do continue to post your worst case scenarios on this thread as it has to be bad news, its from Zenimax after all.  :)

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Just wondering is all. Even if you say it's a "worst case scenario," so what? Don't you admit that it's a possibility? Is it not okay to raise legitimate concerns in these forums?

Since you want to create a spectrum of possibilities and you've labeled my concerns as a worst case scenario, what is the best case or optimal implementation of seasonal gear in your opinion? That would be the "best case scenario." And what are the other possibilities?

I think those are relevant questions. This is okay at mmorpg.com isn't it?

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Going by what Paul Sage said, it's going to reduce the gap between veteran 1 players and veteran 12. If they launch with 7 seasons of gear, this is going to essentially reduce the gear into 7 seasons instead of 12 veteran ranks. Then once the 8th season comes out, you will be able to easily collect season 7 gear but will need to work on season 8. It doesn't sound like THAT much of a gear treadmill. 

I think they are planning on removing the veteran system completely, so essentially the whole world will be level 50 at some point. I will say; ESO launched way to early and fuddled around with stupid ideas, but personally I only see it getting better.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The writing is clearly on the wall of them reconsidering that stance.  And even if they stick to it that doesn't mean they couldn't do something like introduce patterns for the most powerful gear that take a crafter to make that only drop in the harder content.  The truth is ESO made high end crafting gear way to easy to get and I wouldn't be surprised at all if in 6 months the best gear in the game either isn't earned by crafting or requires some form of rare drops off raid level content.