Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online has ~775,000 subscribers - report

Comments

• Acidon.NumenAcidon.Numen Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by ryvendark

Wows retention rate was 30%. That's a comment from their CEO.

So lets give eso the same rate ( even though no mmo will have rates as good ). that puts them at 232k

So why is everyone flipping out on the guy who said 200k when any one of you could of done some simple math and come up with the same ball park answer ? Do you need a thrid party site to do basic math for you or something ?

There's absolutely no correlation between WoW being a highly successful MMO over the years and their retention rate.

There's absolutely no basis for a statement like, "even though no mmo will have rates as good" (as WoW).

People are grasping at straws because for some malicious reason they don't want to believe that ESO could be that successful.  Whether I support a game or not, I'm so sick of this type of behavior.

Those studies aren't made by fans in their basement.  It may not hold the exact values of course, but more often than not they are within the ballpark.

Live and let live people.  No matter how much you love to hate on certain games, there are a great many people that enjoy them.

Please Note: I'm done arguing with unreasonable people with an agenda and/or those that fail to see logic.

Argue if you must, discount my post with anti-logic and/or Hyperbole. I won't be responding any longer.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Acidon.Numen

There's absolutely no correlation between WoW being a highly successful MMO over the years and their retention rate.

Fundamental error about that quote is that it isn't retention rate.

As poster above pointed out by providing full quote:

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Herzy Not even WoW -arguably the most successful MMO ever - has that high a retention rate. I don't think that number adds up for ESO (or any MMO for that matter). Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10 - Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime What I estimate for any MMO that's not WoW is < 30%. Twenty percent retention rate seems more plausible for any run-of-the-mill MMO.
    the WOW quote is exclusive to Trial accounts not subs

full quote

"Currently, only about 30 percent of our trial players make it past this threshold

Making it past level 10 =/= subscriber.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    [mod edit]

I just reread the last 6 pages again just to make sure and couldn't find anywhere where someone called you a name. You did manage to make several people angry asserting opinions as facts, but nothing that was said could really be constituted as name calling.

The issue, or well my issue at least, wasn't with any sub number figure, it was with spreading opinion as fact.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Acidon.NumenAcidon.Numen Member Posts: 55

Furthermore..

It's not like random people are trying to use xFire numbers..

But think on this.  In Raptr, a lesser-used tracking software, there are 553,849 members of the ESO Community (People that have the game)

Out of those, there are still 367,255 *active* members of that community.  That's just Raptr.  That's just a sample.  Obviously it's a minority that both plays ESO *and* uses Raptr.

I realize these figures are frowned upon, but Raptr reports active community members as well as total community members.  At the very least, it's something to think about.

You can load up Raptr, go to the ESO community and see this for yourselves. No links needed.  But here, I'll go one further.  I'll post relevant screenshot of the information.

You can log in yourself and see this.

Please Note: I'm done arguing with unreasonable people with an agenda and/or those that fail to see logic.

Argue if you must, discount my post with anti-logic and/or Hyperbole. I won't be responding any longer.

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Herzy

Not even WoW -arguably the most successful MMO ever - has that high a retention rate. I don't think that number adds up for ESO (or any MMO for that matter).

Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10 - Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime

What I estimate for any MMO that's not WoW is < 30%. Twenty percent retention rate seems more plausible for any run-of-the-mill MMO.

the WOW quote is exclusive to Trial accounts not subs

full quote

"Currently, only about 30 percent of our trial players make it past this threshold

The quote before that is

"trial players who play World of Warcraft past level ten are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time" equals sub, or no? How else would one go about playing the game "for a long time"? 

Getting past level = more likely to stick to the game for a long time = threshold. That's the about 30% mentioned.

Originally posted by TankYou88
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Im guessing you havent read any of the posts on this page then...

I just reread the last 6 pages again just to make sure and couldn't find anywhere where someone called you a name. You did manage to make several people angry asserting opinions as facts, but nothing that was said could really be constituted as name calling.

The issue, or well my issue at least, wasn't with any sub number figure, it was with spreading opinion as fact.

If people are mad then that is their own fault. I cant make someone mad. Its your own emotion, only you can do that. Im also not spreading anything as fact. I said 200k based on my numbers. I also said how I came up with those numbers. 

And yet those numbers don't exist, so you couldn't have any of "your" numbers, considering there aren't any numbers to have. You can claim to have numbers all you want to, that doesn't change the definition of math. Also, I'm not mad, as I mentioned before if anything I'm mildly amused/ laughing that someone could fail to see what was wrong with what they said, even after a thread full posts explained why what you said has no basis or makes any sense from any stand point beyond your own. This ends up putting it firmly in the realm of speculative opinion, the same as everyone else in this thread without actual numbers released by ZoS.

And let them get mad at you, it's their own fault for being mad as you said :)

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    [mod edit]

The quote before that is"trial players who play World of Warcraft past level ten are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time" equals sub, or no? How else would one go about playing the game "for a long time"? Getting past level = more likely to stick to the game for a long time = threshold. That's the about 30% mentioned.

You falsely assume that ALL of those who make it past lvl 10 subscribe. In fact you do not know how many of those 30% actually subscribe.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

full quote

The quote before that is

"trial players who play World of Warcraft past level ten are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time" equals sub, or no? How else would one go about playing the game "for a long time"? 

Getting past level = more likely to stick to the game for a long time = threshold. That's the about 30% mentioned.

WOW has trial accts  (purchase of game not required)

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-starter-edition

why would the CEO specify Trial players?

anyone buying WOW is given a 30 day month sub  -- these accounts are not trials

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Weird how many in this thread think one anonymous poster's opinion is just as valid as what a company that does this as their business is publishing as their educated guess.

Yes, they're all guesses... some much better than others. This is who they are. If you're going to challenge their numbers, tell me who the fuck you are and why I should believe you instead of them.

Ain't the internet fun?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Weird how many in this thread think one anonymous poster's opinion is just as valid as what a company that does this as their business is publishing as their educated guess.

Yes, they're all guesses... some much better than others. This is who they are. If you're going to challenge their numbers, tell me who the fuck you are and why I should believe you instead of them.

Ain't the internet fun?

You just destroyed 9 pages of arguments with a single post. I thought we were letting them squabble a few more pages first before someone actually saw that SuperData actually works with ZoS and is a leading company in monitoring mobile and MMO gaming trends.

Shame on you Iselin! The thread was getting juicy too! :p

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by allday88

Im guessing you havent read any of the posts on this page then...

If people are mad then that is their own fault. I cant make someone mad. Its your own emotion, only you can do that. Im also not spreading anything as fact. I said 200k based on my numbers. I also said how I came up with those numbers. 

Haha based off your numbers lmao!!!  The ONLY number you have given us is 200k.  In 11 pages not once have you given any numbers to back up your ONLY number.  Too funny based on my numbers /facepalm 

Thank you. At least its more than you have given us so far.

Fine here...534,255 based off sales numbers retention, this post.  Go disprove that now.  See anyone call make up numbers.  

I think it's fitty, fitty (50) subs, they've just sold so many horses it seems they have 772k subs.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Gdemami

The quote before that is

You falsely assume that ALL of those who make it past lvl 10 subscribe. In fact you do not know how many of those 30% actually subscribe.

I specifically left in the words "more likely to" and "about" thereby indicating that, as per the quote, it's not all of those who get past the threshold.

False assume what? Explain how else would one go about playing "for a long time" in WoW after a trial?

I specifically left in the words "more likely to" and "about" thereby indicating that, as per the quote, it's not all of those who get past the threshold.False assume what? Explain how else would one go about playing "for a long time" in WoW after a trial?

Likely and longer than what or who? Likely than trial players who who didn't make it past lvl 10? Likely as +50% chance? Likely and longer than those who purchased the game without playing a trial?

It's not really much of an info there, at least regarding to retention rate.

I am sorry for my wording, I should have word it better.

My point is, any assertions made towards retention rate based on that quote are rather baseless.

• GoobyYoYoGoobyYoYo Member Posts: 8

Ain't the internet fun?

You just destroyed 9 pages of arguments with a single post. I thought we were letting them squabble a few more pages first before someone actually saw that SuperData actually works with ZoS and is a leading company in monitoring mobile and MMO gaming trends.

This whole thread is moot until Zenimax gives us numbers.  Regurgitating an opinion on hypothetical numbers then arguing over them is senseless. This is a troll thread. Nothing more.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

SuperData's numbers are based on "the spending habits of 36.9M users".

Ask yourself a question: what 36.9 million users?

No idea?

Think of some well known gaming add-0ns that purport to track user habits. One that begins with R that often talks about 30M+ users. Maybe one that starts with X as well. 

And then say to yourself: the SuperData number is a guess; treat accordingly. 

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

Never understood these kind of threads.

Is the game magically better (or worse) to you if they sold more copies?

If more copies are better WOW is the best game ever for the foreseeable future.

And who believes that?

Originally posted by geremady

Never understood these kind of threads.Is the game magically better (or worse) to you if they sold more copies?If more copies are better WOW is the best game ever for the foreseeable future.And who believes that?

It is interesting to see what other people like, what the trend is, and there is no better indicator than sales.

So yes, WoW is the best MMO ever made.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

And when they published their SWTOR f2p earnings number I remember adding up how much f2p income EA were reporting.

Suffice to say if true then SWTOR was clearly bigger than BattleField, FIFA, Madden, Ultimate Sports and the other games that EA waxed lyrical about. Indeed the execs must have been in danger of being jailed for failing to mention that EA's earnings were so dependent on SWTOR.

Conclusion the number was inaccurate.

Their guesstimates are only as accurate as the spending data of the 36.9M users - which I suspect is Raptr and/or XFire data. (They certainly aren't paying 36.9M people - even a trivial 3 cents a month would be over $1M a month.)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Those threads are hilarious when you think about how much the game has tanked on twitch/reddit etc. Nobody is watching it, nobody is talking about it, but apparently everybody is playing it. ESO fans you really have to try harder.

Pretty much this.  I am not claiming any reliable numbers because there is none but all evidence points to ESO not doing well.  With that being said I do like the direction their heading and will be watching closely.  Might even decide to pick it up on Steam in a few weeks after I tire of Hearthstone's Naxx launch next week.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

I am not claiming any reliable numbers because there is none but all evidence points to ESO not doing well. 

What "evidence"?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Teala

Agreed.   The numbers given are, at best, a very generous guesstimation.  

Better than my estimation...

10.00 million - 0.75 million = 9.25 million

I was off by 7.5%.

Not too shabby!

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

The people who hate the game demand numbers.  When an independent source provides some, they reject them - because they "know" that the game is terrible, they dislike it, and herefore, everyone else dislikes it too.  Any information to the contrary needs to be rejected.  It's completely bulletproof, and fascinating in its own pathological way.

You never really know how solid numbers like this are, of course, and that would be a reasonable point.  Asserting personal opinion as fact and making up your own numbers out of thin air, however, are not reasonable points.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Ain't the internet fun?

Ah, good point, their close relationship could be skewing the results to the high side as it is never wise to piss off your customers by publishing  unfavorable information about them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ain't the internet fun?

Ah, good point, their close relationship could be skewing the results to the high side as it is never wise to piss off your customers by publishing  unfavorable information about them.

Good afternoon mister TAX, nice of you to visit us

Mr TAX: You filed in a amount consistent to about 200/250k subscribers, yet we reading you seem to have 3x as much, please explain.

Zenimax: Well mr Tax, we paid SuperDate to forge our date for public means....

This discussion has been closed.