Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online has ~775,000 subscribers - report

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-18-elder-scrolls-online-has-775-000-subscribers-report

"A report published by SuperData Research (via GamesIndustry International) claims The Elder Scrolls Online had 772,374 subscribers in June."

This seems about right, 420k box sales + 3-4 times more digital downloads =  1.2-1.6 mill or so sold, with about a 50% retention rate. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-18-elder-scrolls-online-has-775-000-subscribers-report

"A report published by SuperData Research (via GamesIndustry International) claims The Elder Scrolls Online had 772,374 subscribers in June."

This seems about right, 420k box sales + 3-4 times more digital downloads =  1.2-1.6 mill or so sold, with about a 50% retention rate. 

That's a little higher than I had predicted at 500-700k on retention. If this data is true, this is nothing but good news for ZoS and makes the game a smashing success.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

So again, someone's best "guess" at  the numbers.

It's not explicitly clear where the figure comes from but SuperData's MMO earnings data is compiled from "the monthly spending of 36.9 million digital gamers, worldwide, collected from developers, publisher and payment service providers". Presumably the ESO figure comes from the same place.

Game-publisher Bethesda hasn't released sales or subscription data for The Elder Scrolls Online, and as its parent company ZeniMax Media is privately held, doesn't really have to.

While they are under no obligation to report sales or sub figures, if it was something they  were very proud of they would announce it.("a million plus subscribers can't be wrong!!!, or "the MMO played by over a million people!")

My best guess....the  current numbers are somewhat below this value, and they are waiting until the steam/console launches before announcing any finanicals.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LagKingBongLagKingBong Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Kyleran

My best guess....the  current numbers are somewhat below this value, and they are waiting until the steam/console launches before announcing any finanicals.

^

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Im guessing its around 200k. After all the refunds and people just leaving the game along with low sales. 200k seems like a pretty high number.
  • HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184

Not even WoW -arguably the most successful MMO ever - has that high a retention rate. I don't think that number adds up for ESO (or any MMO for that matter).

Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10 - Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime

What I estimate for any MMO that's not WoW is < 30%. Twenty percent retention rate seems more plausible for any run-of-the-mill MMO.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    SuperData research was the same source used to support how much money SWTOR was making and a lot of posters on this very site discredited it as unreliable. Now it is being used to support ESO sub numbers. Interesting development.

Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by TankYou88
    Im guessing its around 200k. After all the refunds and people just leaving the game along with low sales. 200k seems like a pretty high number.

All the refunds? Please post a link to an actual source of how many refunds were given? 

People just leaving?  Please provide a source of people just leaving? 

Low sales?  Please provide a link that stated low sales? 

200k seems like a desperate extremely bias pulled out of a$$ number.  

Thank you for trying I guess...

Im sorry you dont agree. 

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

All the refunds? Please post a link to an actual source of how many refunds were given? 

Look mister fan, I don't have your links but I am one that left along with 3 of my friends and my girlfriend so there is 5 people for you.

As for as those numbers go, that is higher then I would think and I do believe the comment that they are waiting for the console launch before releasing any numbers. 

It would be a big marketing thing if they had hit 1 million but nothing has been said so it tends to make it look like that has not happened. 

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Why are you sorry? You pulled numbers out of your ass with a complete guess.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Not really made up. The game didnt sell well, the game had tons of bugs where the majority left. Tons of refunds were given. Given the average retention rate the 200k figure seems about right on the money.

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Not really made up. The game didnt sell well, the game had tons of bugs where the majority left. Tons of refunds were given. Given the average retention rate the 200k figure seems about right on the money.

Numbers? Source? Anything? More butt numbers?  What's your metric for saying the game didn't sell well? As far as I knew, no one but ZoS knows actual retail sales at the moment. If you don't like the game that's fine, but making up numbers and spreading misinformation reflects poorly on you, not on ESO.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Where do you get this information from, forum posts? What do you mean it's not made up? There's no reliable information any where to back up any of this, but it's not made up.....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

Wows retention rate was 30%. That's a comment from their CEO.

So lets give eso the same rate ( even though no mmo will have rates as good ). that puts them at 232k

So why is everyone flipping out on the guy who said 200k when any one of you could of done some simple math and come up with the same ball park answer ? Do you need a thrid party site to do basic math for you or something ?

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Hmm well you didn't provide any last time, pretty sure you won't this time but let's try this again shall we?  

A link of how many refunds were given?

A link that shows "the majority" left?

A link the game didn't sell well?  

Now until you can provide some facts, links, evidence for your made up number that's not worth the paper you would write it on and obvious that it is just A number you just pulled out of nowhere in a poor attempt to bash a video game. 

How is 200k subs bad? Eve only has 500k which was a little older of a number and has been dipping. If you have proof to discredit anything I said you are welcomed to post whatever you want. 

Originally posted by ryvendark

So lets give eso the same rate ( even though no mmo will have rates as good ). that puts them at 232k

So why is everyone flipping out on the guy who said 200k when any one of you could of done some simple math and come up with the same ball park answer ? Do you need a thrid party site to do basic math for you or something ?

Thank you. I dont see why everyone is mad by using the numbers we have available.

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Hmm well you didn't provide any last time, pretty sure you won't this time but let's try this again shall we?  

Now until you can provide some facts, links, evidence for your made up number that's not worth the paper you would write it on and obvious that it is just A number you just pulled out of nowhere in a poor attempt to bash a video game. 

How is 200k subs bad? Eve only has 500k which was a little older of a number and has been dipping. If you have proof to discredit anything I said you are welcomed to post whatever you want. 

The OP's original post discredit's everything you said because even if it isn't 100% reliable, it's a lot more reliable than some guy armchair quarterbacking about a game he obviously dislikes.

Eve hasn't had 500k subs for quite a while by the way, in fact there was a post the other day about how low Eve's pop has gotten lately on this forum.

Originally posted by ryvendark

How do you apply such a number when you don't know where to even start from? WHat makes that 200k "forum post" any more correct than these numbers in the article? He's saying 200k, they're saying 775k in june...

Flipping out? Asking someone to back up a claim is flipping out?

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Im sorry you dont agree. 

The OP's original post discredit's everything you said because even if it isn't 100% reliable, it's a lot more reliable than some guy armchair quarterbacking about a game he obviously dislikes.

Eve hasn't had 500k subs for quite a while by the way, in fact there was a post the other day about how low Eve's pop has gotten lately on this forum.

Theres no information in the link that says how they got the number. My number actually used some math.

The link also said Wildstar was a huge contender against ESO right now. So if you believe the 700k figure than you have to assume that WIldstar sold the same as ESO correct?

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Oh hi BCbully, actively throwing ESO propaganda and bashing other games to try and 'boost' your game. Did they hire you to try and push their game, cause you seem to go beyond fanboy on many levels I can't see any fanboy ever going this far to try and throw false propaganda to support the game. It just seems unlikely to me.

Aren't you a WS fan?

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Theres no information in the link that says how they got the number. My number actually used some math.

The link also said Wildstar was a huge contender against ESO right now. So if you believe the 700k figure than you have to assume that WIldstar sold the same as ESO correct?

Some math? what math? You can't apply a retention rate when you don't even know where the original figure begins, math?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Oh hi BCbully, actively throwing ESO propaganda and bashing other games to try and 'boost' your game. Did they hire you to try and push their game, cause you seem to go beyond fanboy on many levels I can't see any fanboy ever going this far to try and throw false propaganda to support the game. It just seems unlikely to me.

Aren't you a WS fan?

I enjoy wildstar and I think its a great game, but I don't go posting threads giving false facts about Wildstar or ESO saying they are doing bad or good to fit my agenda. BCbully had a thread just making a factless claim about 'empty servers' for Wildstar (only due to it being a recent game and  a 'threat' to his game) while throwing up tons of posts about ESO being the second coming throwing in numbers and figures with no facts about it.

There is a difference between being a 'fan' and someone who throws false facts and propaganda about a game to promote a game while slander to demean another game with no truth behind it. Thats going WAY beyond what a fan would do, heck I'd even claim a fanboy wouldn't do what he is doing, to the point I almost feel like he is being paid for spreading such words.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Those threads are hilarious when you think about how much the game has tanked on twitch/reddit etc. Nobody is watching it, nobody is talking about it, but apparently everybody is playing it. ESO fans you really have to try harder.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I should not have subbed.

even when it goes free I am not going to bother loading again and I never even got a character further than level 30 and I made a lot.

all the missions felt the same,just a pretty quest grind not a real elders scrolls game.

Im sorry you dont agree. 

Actually yes, If you read my post history I speculated (note speculated, I didn't try to pass off my guess as actual math.) That WildStar has sold at least between 500-700k copies and put retention between 200-400k. That's a guess, and I'm not going to argue or stand by those numbers at all, because it was just that, a guess, much like what you are doing with ESO and trying to pass off as true.

You don't preface a post saying "I'm guessing" and then try to maintain it's a fact.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Herzy

Not even WoW -arguably the most successful MMO ever - has that high a retention rate. I don't think that number adds up for ESO (or any MMO for that matter).

Only 30 Percent of WoW Players Get Past Level 10 - Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime

What I estimate for any MMO that's not WoW is < 30%. Twenty percent retention rate seems more plausible for any run-of-the-mill MMO.

If you actually read the full article it says: "Our research shows that trial players who play World of Warcraft past level ten are much more likely to stick with the game for a long time" "Currently, only about 30 percent of our trial players make it past this threshold.

Subscription retention is very different for WoW.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
This discussion has been closed.