Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: The Progression System Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week is a seminal one for the Camelot Unchained team as they take to the airwaves to talk about the game that man are looking to as a return to old-school MMOs with definite new-school elements. Today in the second of our CU features, Mark Jacobs et al are ready to talk about the progression system. Check out our exclusive interview before heading to the Camelot Unchained Twitch.tv channel right about now to participate in a live stream event where even more will be revealed.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Camelot Unchained: The Progression System Revealed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Hmm, it's actually quite an interesting way of doing things. Cool. I'm good with this.]

EDIT: I take that back. I heard they shut down the server for this every day. That's just dumb.

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

I agree with the problem most games have and I hope they have nailed it with the solutions. I get a feeling that they want to be different in every aspect of the game instead of using some stuff from successful games. That is good - but I am afraid it will end up being too advanced and hard to balance.

But I like what they announced above. It takes away some of the worries I have had with people taking empty keeps for points all the time and enemies avoid eachother because that gives more points than fighting. They call it keep-trading.

The daily mail will also create legends - something I miss. Back in DAOC I just loved how the kill-spam came up and you knew that a good enemy was close or if someone in your realm did something good. You knew who the best enemies were and the heroes of your realm. Nowadays with cross-server queues and everything the only way to get famous is to put up a twitch-channel. If you see that someone has a good 24 hours in that mail you will remember his/her name.

One thing I really hope is that they get people to feel realm-pride. That is so important. In DAOC our guild took a keep from Midgard. And when you did you knew that they would come within a half hour with a huge army to get it back. So people from our realm did what they could to get to the keep to defend. Some gank groups roamed the area to slow down the midgardians smaller groups. Assassins were hiding along the roads to pick up people that lagged behind. It was exciting.

In most games now when a realm see that one of their keeps are taken and heavily defended they will just go to a undefended keep in the enemy zone and take that. No one wants to get farmed. I wonder how they will avoid this? Maybe by giving points fighting at keeps and not by taking empty keeps?

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

As I stated in the RVR map reveal, this game just keeps getting better and better.  Full disclosure, complete fanboi here, but in the end the systems they are implementing are very innovative, fresh and new, especially if they can pull off everything they are talking about with the BSC Days.

I'm definitely excited and have faith they can pull these systems off.  I can't wait to start working on skills in this game and much like DAoC, this game will probably be a home for me for a couple years. 

No more pre-made stories, player-made stories FTW!!  Keep it up CU Devs! 

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by lindhsky

I agree with the problem most games have and I hope they have nailed it with the solutions. I get a feeling that they want to be different in every aspect of the game instead of using some stuff from successful games. That is good - but I am afraid it will end up being to advanced and hard to balance.

But I like what they announced above. It takes away some of the worries I have had with people taking empty keeps for points all the time and enemies avoid eachother because that gives more points than fighting. They call it keep-trading.

The daily mail will also create legends - something I miss. Back in DAOC I just loved how the kill-spam came up and you knew that a good enemy was close or if someone in your realm did something good. You knew who the best enemies were and the heroes of your realm. Nowadays with cross-server queues and everything the only way to get famous is to put up a twitch-channel. If you see that someone has a good 24 hours you will remember his/her name.

One thing I really hope is that they people will feel realm-pride. That is so important. In DAOC our guild took a keep once from Midgard. And when you did you knew that they would come within a halfhour with a huge army to get it back. So people from our realm did what they could to get to the keep to defend. Some gankgroups roamed the area to slow down the midgardians smaller groups. Assassins were hiding along the roads to pick up people that lagged behind. It was exciting.

In most games now when a realm see that one of their keeps are taken and heavily defended they will just go to a keep in the enemy zone and take that. No one wants to get farmed. I wonder how they will avoid this.

I agree, realm-pride is a big thing for me as well.  I also have those same memories of DAoC that really made that game and that server feel like my home and made me willing to do whatever I could to protect it.

I will say , I think with how they are making some of these systems and the game overall, it is being made for realm-pride and that old school feel.  I really cant wait, but I agree that I am also worried that they may have bit off more than they can chew, but IMO this team has a better shot than most.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by lindhsky

I agree with the problem most games have and I hope they have nailed it with the solutions. I get a feeling that they want to be different in every aspect of the game instead of using some stuff from successful games. That is good - but I am afraid it will end up being too advanced and hard to balance.

The daily mail will also create legends - something I miss. Back in DAOC I just loved how the kill-spam came up and you knew that a good enemy was close or if someone in your realm did something good. You knew who the best enemies were and the heroes of your realm. Nowadays with cross-server queues and everything the only way to get famous is to put up a twitch-channel. If you see that someone has a good 24 hours in that mail you will remember his/her name.

One thing I really hope is that they get people to feel realm-pride. That is so important. In DAOC our guild took a keep from Midgard. And when you did you knew that they would come within a half hour with a huge army to get it back. So people from our realm did what they could to get to the keep to defend. Some gank groups roamed the area to slow down the midgardians smaller groups. Assassins were hiding along the roads to pick up people that lagged behind. It was exciting.

In most games now when a realm see that one of their keeps are taken and heavily defended they will just go to a undefended keep in the enemy zone and take that. No one wants to get farmed. I wonder how they will avoid this? Maybe by giving points fighting at keeps and not by taking empty keeps?

I agree, Realm pride is huge. When DAoC was big, and there was a call across Albion that Hibernia or Midgard were taking our relics, you went, whether you were level 30 or 50, even just to be cannon fodder and die for your realm. If they can instill that same kind of realm pride in CU, they really will have created a modern DAoC.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

MJ said this is perhaps is the least connected to pnp heritage but I feel it is very similar. At the end of a pnp game session the DM/GM gives out xp. It is entirety unfair to base this on kills alone as some characters are meat bags while others RP/Skill bags. Rewards are subjective and I reward on the entirety of play through RP, combat, skill usage, etc. This system reflects both personal progression based on play style and the entire "session" of the realm. Very pnp style inclusive progression.

I hope this changes how players see progression. In nearly all mmos progression is typically 100% selfish based entirely on your character alone. CU must offer this but also stress the importance of your realm. Players are playing to win in RvR which means your realm must win. In any pnp rpg game the entire point of a game campaign is to progress story and this often has little to do with character progression. In fact it can be entirely separate. The most important progression is succeeding in your campaign no matter how you look at it. If you fail every time then what is the point of playing in RvR or campaign based pnp rpg? It matters not if you are max level or not. YOU MUST WIN! 

Wow-style mmos can ignore realm progression as it plays no role. Wow is a character based game. Being Horde means nothing. It is a story back drop only. RvR is about your faction far more than your character. This CU BSC progression is like massive group xp. It is like the largest Raid group ever made. Your teammates are important. Your end boss is defeating 1 or even 2 other realms. It is epic level group progression because the goal is epic.

How could personal progression possibly cover this? It can't. Something new must be considered and attempted. Consider and attempt are a long way from fruition. I'm not rating this idea base on success but merely on the recognition of it's need.

You stay sassy!

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Also want to comment that I love the idea of "Daily Report" stat gains. This is huge for people who are tired of the same old same old end game rush and level grind.

If they really pull this off, I don't see how I could NOT play this game!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    I love the Daily Report for two reasons.
    1. It let's you play the damn game withot counting exp exhaustively till you level.
    2. It allows you to see your progress and your realms and give you a collective sense of purpose.

I feel like they have conceptualized a truely unique MMO experiance, that really knocks EQN and Pantheon out of the water.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    I am very impressed with the unique progression system here. As a former DAoC player on Midgard, I truly miss the feeling I had playing and fighting for my realm. No other game has EVER been able to create this in a MMORPG, although many other games have promised this. I was hoping that ESO would have come through, but sadly, they got it all wrong too. I still play ESO, but certainly not for the pvp.  Until Camelot Unchained is released, I probably will still play ESO since there is no other game out there that interests me.  Great job CU,  you have just grabbed another subscriber. 
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

So those of us who play nights won't be able to play?

RIP my hype (2013-2014)

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• BladehawkBladehawk Member Posts: 5
    This sounds awesome. Of course, most MMOs sound awesome early in development, but I'm glad they're trying a new approach to core systems like this. Anything that can take the focus off personal progression and help foster realm pride is a win in my book.
  • amneziakamneziak Member UncommonPosts: 13
    forget about server shutdown it wont happen, if it does it will be really short time, like he said on the stream today.
  • gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    For those of you concerned about server shut down every evening, don't panic Mark did not say it is set in stone. They may come up with a way to collect all the data and leave the server running for the next day.
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

Really dont like it.

Getting better when you use a skill, ok not a bad idea but that reminds me of Darkfalls afk running against a wall or standing in an acid pit.

Then the DR system sounds really bad imho.

You swing your sword all day long, craft or whatever and dont get better. Instead you have to wait for several hours until you can use that new sword, craft something new or whatever ability you get.

Then there is the scenario of you starting a game session and getting a report of "Sword skill is now 99". But your new sword needs 100 sword. So for a whole day, think holidays, you have to use your old sword and cant upgrade. I would feel a big meh the whole play session.

Especially if you could have made it to 100 but with that system you won't know that you would only have needed 15 min more farming or 2 more items to get to the next skill, ability, usable sword or whateve you were training towards.

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

As a zombie slave to the current quest grind and instant experience rewards without knowing it I have been lulled into this trap.  I wondered why I got bored so quickly with current games and continiously switched to another grind game.  While I am still in the dark...all this new stuff CSE is spewing out has me actually excited.

I may have actually found a game that can keep my interest for more than 30 days.  Especially as an old D&D player who never saw his xp till the next gameing session.

Change is good, and I for one am ready for change.

Nanulak

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    rip cu
  • SeeuwSeeuw Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by wormed

Hmm, it's actually quite an interesting way of doing things. Cool. I'm good with this.]

EDIT: I take that back. I heard they shut down the server for this every day. That's just dumb.

This is not true. Mark Jacobs said that would be the worst possible outcome. They don't expect server shutdowns, but IF they happen once in a while it will only take a few minutes..

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by wormed

Damn, my initial reaction was the same as yours until I read that EDIT part. =/

Originally posted by Seeuw

This is not true. Mark Jacobs said that would be the worst possible outcome. They don't expect server shutdowns, but IF they happen once in a while it will only take a few minutes..

Cool, that's a relief!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    hurry up & finish it guys; it sounds awesome.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    This might be the first game that I actually decide to help fund. The more I learn, the more interested I become! Can't wait to find out more.
  • TrzeciTrzeci Member Posts: 8
    i like it:)
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Indeed something different.  Haven't we all been asking for something different?  Lets give it a try. 
  • ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Sounds great!

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Alumicard

Really dont like it.  Getting better when you use a skill, ok not a bad idea but that reminds me of Darkfalls afk running against a wall or standing in an acid pit. 

Yes, and I hope the developers are reading this.  Whenever a well-meaning designer tries to tie advancement to actual effort and reward patience, a lot of people reach for the bots and exploits.  I recall the "flesh walling" from early Darkfall where a bunch of idiots from the same guild would raise their skills on each other.  Unless they are on top of things, the game will turn into bot/exploit heaven.