Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: ESO Headed to Steam

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Havekk
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Iselin

Considering the Elder Scrolls' long time association with Valve, the surprising thing is that it wasn't on Steam all along...

So when are the real ESO news bits from Quakecon coming... tonight... tomorrow?

After the "ESO adding more players too soon?" Column image

You know throwing up random numbers about box sales (and possible digital sale speculation without any actual numbers to prove) and throwing a game as being the Jesus of video games doesn't change how it is. I mean its nice in a way you are so adamant and fanboy about a game, but take a little step back and take a deep breath. It makes you look silly trying to push a game like that. You are completely aloud to like a game, heck you can enjoy the worst game in the world (which btw, not saying ESO is that) its all fine and we all have our own tastes. Just calm down a little there so you dont go discrediting yourself so much. No need to do the propaganda for the company. XD

Going to steam couldn't possible be a bad thing regardless of when it happened as it is a way to distribute games. So by your logic... if a game comes out on steam from the get go, what then? Would a company be jumping on the steam wagon too early then? 

You assume his numbers are "random" with no evidence to dispute for your argument either. I haven't seen in this thread where he has referred to the game as the "Jesus" of video games... so I suppose that it an altogether different attack on his previous comments not in this thread? I'm not sure.. but either way, I guess it's perfectly fine to come here and shit on games, which happens every .5 seconds... but the moment someone defends a game, they're labeled and cast aside. I know it's the hip and cool thing to do for you folks around here to just hate everything, but  it's refreshing to know that there are some who are not afraid to voice their support of a game or company. Just because you have a positive opinion, doesn't make it "propaganda". 

Lastly, in the word crime category, it's "allowed" not "aloud". One means with given authority and the other means to say something audibly. Just an FYI. I typically don't point out small things like spelling and minor grammar errors as it happens to us all. But I don't want any youngsters reading this to misinterpret that word creating a habit that will screw them for years down the line lol. No hate intended. 

in fact, not putting a PC game on Steam just seems a bit arrogant to me. Its almost like trying to release a game on Xbox but you have to install a sepearte download tool.

That makes no sense. In your example steam IS the separate download tool...with that said I use steam for some games but fail to see where it's arrogant for a company NOT to use steam.  

no...steam is THE portal for PC games.

having a different method to access the game other than thru Steam is an exception case. thus the example. pretty fucking clear.

Ok using the "f word" by no means help your opinion or makes you look intelligent, it actually does the opposite along makes you look like you are 12 years old...who know maybe you are. Steam is not the ONLY portal for PC games, you have in most cases each games website, GameStop, ea games, Sony games, ect ect  has their own, some still buy the boxes so it's pretty arrogant to think steam in THE PC game portal.  

Not every PC player has steam and not every game is on steam, there are more people on psn than steam and recently only took over xb live.  So if a person downloads a game through the games website having to also download steam would be the separate download tool.  It's not the same as the xb or ps interfaces the issue was your poor analogy.  Sorry using teenage language won't help your opinion.  Now that's pretty clear!

1. nor is it helpful to the conversation to point out peoples choice of words that are not specific to the point. fuck me.

2. of course there are other portals. If you didnt like my example maybe I can provide another one. The only reason I am using examples are for those who do not understand the impact of Steam. Are you one of those? Do you need another example?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

That escelated quickly dint it Zenimax....
    Dont deliver turds in the insane competitive mmo market.

You should have known better as many mmo's before you went awol / died / BtP / FtP.
    But Zenimax tought they could get away with a flop mmo and cash in like many studio's tried before with an awesome IP.

Still hearing mat frior words...."You have only 1 chanse to do it right"
    Serves them well.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Cool, good for ZoS. I don't care for Steam, but hope some people find it on there and get the same joy out of it I am. Good news all around.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Um that's like a great thing. Idk how someone can spin it as bad.

ESO is still selling around 6k physical boxes per week and most likely 2-3 times more than that in digital downloads. Joining the #1 digital download distributor in the world will boost those numbers even more.

Any links to back up those numbers?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

ESO is still selling around 6k physical boxes per week and most likely 2-3 times more than that in digital downloads. Joining the #1 digital download distributor in the world will boost those numbers even more.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70799/the-elder-scrolls-online/Global/

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

holy smokes if I am reading that chart correctly they are in a nose dive

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    ESO is 30 dollars on Steam.  Hmm.... debating about trying it.  Maybe wait until it is cheaper?

I was told that vg chartz isn't a reliable source and that they only post estimates.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

I was told that vg chartz isn't a reliable source and that they only post estimates.

It's reliable for boxed sales. That doesn't tell you very much anymore though. But any link is only as accurate as the person reading it wants it to be.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by Piscore

P2P in Steam ?

Nice try ZM

Another brainiac here at MMORPG forums. Perhaps you should take a look at Steams MMO list...not all are F2P. Eve, DarkFall and Final Fanatasy all fall into the catagory of P2P.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Havekk
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Iselin

Considering the Elder Scrolls' long time association with Valve, the surprising thing is that it wasn't on Steam all along...

So when are the real ESO news bits from Quakecon coming... tonight... tomorrow?

After the "ESO adding more players too soon?" Column image

You know throwing up random numbers about box sales (and possible digital sale speculation without any actual numbers to prove) and throwing a game as being the Jesus of video games doesn't change how it is. I mean its nice in a way you are so adamant and fanboy about a game, but take a little step back and take a deep breath. It makes you look silly trying to push a game like that. You are completely aloud to like a game, heck you can enjoy the worst game in the world (which btw, not saying ESO is that) its all fine and we all have our own tastes. Just calm down a little there so you dont go discrediting yourself so much. No need to do the propaganda for the company. XD

Going to steam couldn't possible be a bad thing regardless of when it happened as it is a way to distribute games. So by your logic... if a game comes out on steam from the get go, what then? Would a company be jumping on the steam wagon too early then? 

You assume his numbers are "random" with no evidence to dispute for your argument either. I haven't seen in this thread where he has referred to the game as the "Jesus" of video games... so I suppose that it an altogether different attack on his previous comments not in this thread? I'm not sure.. but either way, I guess it's perfectly fine to come here and shit on games, which happens every .5 seconds... but the moment someone defends a game, they're labeled and cast aside. I know it's the hip and cool thing to do for you folks around here to just hate everything, but  it's refreshing to know that there are some who are not afraid to voice their support of a game or company. Just because you have a positive opinion, doesn't make it "propaganda". 

Lastly, in the word crime category, it's "allowed" not "aloud". One means with given authority and the other means to say something audibly. Just an FYI. I typically don't point out small things like spelling and minor grammar errors as it happens to us all. But I don't want any youngsters reading this to misinterpret that word creating a habit that will screw them for years down the line lol. No hate intended. 

in fact, not putting a PC game on Steam just seems a bit arrogant to me. Its almost like trying to release a game on Xbox but you have to install a sepearte download tool.

That makes no sense. In your example steam IS the separate download tool...with that said I use steam for some games but fail to see where it's arrogant for a company NOT to use steam.  

no...steam is THE portal for PC games.

having a different method to access the game other than thru Steam is an exception case. thus the example. pretty fucking clear.

Ok using the "f word" by no means help your opinion or makes you look intelligent, it actually does the opposite along makes you look like you are 12 years old...who know maybe you are. Steam is not the ONLY portal for PC games, you have in most cases each games website, GameStop, ea games, Sony games, ect ect  has their own, some still buy the boxes so it's pretty arrogant to think steam in THE PC game portal.  

Not every PC player has steam and not every game is on steam, there are more people on psn than steam and recently only took over xb live.  So if a person downloads a game through the games website having to also download steam would be the separate download tool.  It's not the same as the xb or ps interfaces the issue was your poor analogy.  Sorry using teenage language won't help your opinion.  Now that's pretty clear!

Lol, what?  I use the "F" word as you put it all the time.  I'm definitely not a teenager.  This is a forum about VIDEO GAMES!  You're not getting your masters degree here.

In this case it just showed immaturity and an attempt to hide a poor analogy.

The use of the f word is a sign of getting emotionally involved in the discussion.  Personally for me there is nothing about video games that I would get emotionally involved in where I would use that immature language in a forum.  It does nothing productive but show immaturity , lack of control of your emotions and a general sense you have lost the debate. 

95% of the time I use the word "fuck".  I use it as a joke or you know because it's just a word.  Just because someone uses profanity, doesn't mean what you say it does.  Please step off your high horse.  Get real.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Any modern game development company that DOESN'T sell their games on Steam are either not very good at marketing or they're trying to push their own in-house "games portal".

Being on Steam is a no-brainer. Really. I'm just surprised it took them this long...

Agree. I have the same policy; NO STEAM. NO TY.

While I agree that it should have been on Steam before now, my policy is opposite of yours, if its on Steam (only), no thank you.

Not into gaming portals.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Good to hear!  I've recently started playing again and one thing is definitely clear to me:  the players I encountered (and there were a lot) all seemed to be really positive and very happy with the game's directions....  If it goes F2P or stays P2P, well, that's another conversation altogether.  But any sort of potential to bring in players to now what it is apparently a "niche" game...I mean, hey, if it can broaden it's appeal and shake off whatever preconceived notions of what it was "supposed to be" to new or returning players, then I think that's fucking great.

holy smokes if I am reading that chart correctly they are in a nose dive

Are you new to mmos? Plus he linked vg charts which is not a good source.  Now back to are you new to mmos please provide a link to an mmo that did not see a decline in sales after launch.  Better grab something to drink pretty sure we will be waiting a very long time for you to provide the link...

That is more than a decline.

I am not new to MMOs but I can admit I am very new to watching sales figures because I really dont give a shit about stuff like that. never less, that is a huge drop.

Well I'd recommend you don't start watching sales numbers.  There really is no good measure to compare accurately.  Some use vg chart, some use xfire, raptr, this side top games they are all flawed.  Most game devs don't release numbers and if they do some will still question it.  All and all trying to guess sales numbers is rather pointless....

Although I dont watch sales numbers I did run into this interesting article about the sales for SpinTires.

which is rather large by comparision to all factors.
    Having said that, your right, in todays market looking at boxed sales is a poor indication of anything.

Originally posted by grimal

Good to hear!  I've recently started playing again and one thing is definitely clear to me:  the players I encountered (and there were a lot) all seemed to be really positive and very happy with the game's directions....  If it goes F2P or stays P2P, well, that's another conversation altogether.  But any sort of potential to bring in players to now what it is apparently a "niche" game...I mean, hey, if it can broaden it's appeal and shake off whatever preconceived notions of what it was "supposed to be" to new or returning players, then I think that's fucking great.

Nowdays if a MMO is unsuccessful in getting good over all sub numbers call it a 'niche'.

Even though TES franchise is anything but niche.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    Originally posted by Piscore

P2P in Steam ?

Nice try ZM

Stop trolling!

Steam has pay to play example: Darkfall Unholy Wars

EVE, FFXI & FFXIV are there as well...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Nowdays if a MMO is unsuccessful in getting good over all sub numbers call it a 'niche'.

IP doesn't change the genre or long term appeal, regardless of how ESO is doing, TES is a single-player franchise on multiple platforms, ESO is an MMORPG based around an old PVP game for the most part. It's design isn't exactly mainstream (long grinds, PVP fueled endgame, very little endgame PVE, outside of that steep grind.)

None of the popular principles of something like WOW are given much focus, it's not an arcade game with rewards of power laying every where you go. People play stuff like WOW because you can jump in kill a bunch of stuff, get a bunch of rewards, and feel accomplished after a short gaming session. Things like ESO are far more slow baked than that, when the focus is on story focused questing it requires far more time invested to see a return on that invested time. Hence why it's not popular to the masses, even though it seems as though it would be... "what do you mean I have to pay attention to a story?"!!!! where's my space bar!!"!!!! I just want to kill stuff and get my reward"

These reasons are exactly why Raids, PVP (where elder status counts for power), etc.. aren't as mainstream as playstyles. They're not designed around fast reward based principles. You have to put in far too much time to get anything from it. Why do you think F2P is so popular? Not to mention services like gold sellers make a killing? "Give it to me fast and easy with as miniscule investment from me as possible"

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Great now we can track ESO's population from the steam charts. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Is that Whiterun Wolfhound pet some steam only promotion?

Hell I didnt even know ESO had pets but I'm sure I never got one with mine

• mmortexmmortex Member UncommonPosts: 12
    well . Another masive mmo will come in 2014 and is full  f2p [sandbox] , The game must be f2p or B2P . My personal opinian .
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by boxsnd

When and how has Steam ever been an accurate measurement of a game's population? This is like saying you can use vgchartz or raptr to track something. The programs are only used by a small amount of peple, albeit Steam has a larger player base, it's still just guesswork and armchair quarterbacking.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    While I understand the traditional responses from many on here and expect them I guess,  I personally feel this could only help this game.  Perhaps an increase in population keeps the light shining and maybe they do some things with the game that make it worth playing.   Optimistic on my part, absolutely, but we have seen some games make good changes to help improve the game.
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by boxsnd

When and how has Steam ever been an accurate measurement of a game's population? This is like saying you can use vgchartz or raptr to track something. The programs are only used by a small amount of peple, albeit Steam has a larger player base, it's still just guesswork and armchair quarterbacking.

I think they keep metrics of numbers of players on line....via steam...which naturally means all the people who have bought already would not be counted.

Originally posted by Distopia

IP doesn't change the genre or long term appeal, regardless of how ESO is doing, TES is a single-player franchise on multiple platforms, ESO is an MMORPG based around an old PVP game for the most part. It's design isn't exactly mainstream (long grinds, PVP fueled endgame, very little endgame PVE, outside of that steep grind.)

None of the popular principles of something like WOW are given much focus, it's not an arcade game with rewards of power laying every where you go. People play stuff like WOW because you can jump in kill a bunch of stuff, get a bunch of rewards, and feel accomplished after a short gaming session. Things like ESO are far more slow baked than that, when the focus is on story focused questing it requires far more time invested to see a return on that invested time. Hence why it's not popular to the masses, even though it seems as though it would be... "what do you mean I have to pay attention to a story?"!!!! where's my space bar!!"!!!! I just want to kill stuff and get my reward"

These reasons are exactly why Raids, PVP (where elder status counts for power), etc.. aren't as mainstream as playstyles. They're not designed around fast reward based principles. You have to put in far too much time to get anything from it. Why do you think F2P is so popular? Not to mention services like gold sellers make a killing? "Give it to me fast and easy with as miniscule investment from me as possible"

And you think ESO is any different in that department? fast leveling, main focus on questing, next to no death penalty. PVE is your typical level of easiness when it comes to themepark MMOS. It is clearly marketed towards casuals who don't want to spend their entire day in front of PC. You can log in gain couple of levels, finish bunch of quests and can still feel accomplished.

And i doubt that Zenimax told Bethesda that 'hey we are going to take one of the most popular IP of ES which has sold in millions (skyrim alone sold 10 million) and we are going to make an MMO which will appeal to only 100K players'.

Nah i disagree with your assessment.

Next thing you will tell me that GW2 is a niche MMO because it doesn't focus on any of the WOW principles.