Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: ESO Headed to Steam

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bethesda has just announced that the Elder Scrolls Online will be heading to the Steam gaming platform later today. Both the Standard and Imperial editions will be available for purchase. Find out more during a special ESO panel at this year's QuakeCon to be held tomorrow, Friday, July 18th.

For more ESO news and information coming out of QuakeCon 2014, be sure to check out our panel, ‘The Future of The Elder Scrolls Online,’ tomorrow at 5pm CDT on Twitch.tv/bethesda.

Source: Email press release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

F2P posts incoming in 3...2...1...

You know it will happen. :)

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

F2P posts incoming in 3...2...1...

You know it will happen. :)

lol Well FF14 is on Steam and its not free to play . Personally I think TESO would be better going buy to play like TSW did. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

to quote the creator of Eve 'there are knowing companies and learning companies, we are now a learning company'

which is Zenimax?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Honestly didn't see that coming.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Not surprised.

Game really needs influx of new players.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Well it was inevitable to come, though it seemed to of happened sooner rather then later. Its numbers must of dropped off enough quicker then expected to warrent it coming onto steam a bit sooner.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Um that's like a great thing. Idk how someone can spin it as bad.

ESO is still selling around 6k physical boxes per week and most likely 2-3 times more than that in digital downloads. Joining the #1 digital download distributor in the world will boost those numbers even more.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

Its not a bad thing, its just typically a game will be put on steam to increase its 'advertisement'. Its a clever way really for developers to try and push a new wave of recruits in. ESO just happened to feel its numbers were declining faster then they wanted (which btw, all MMOs have this happen so don't think its ESO exclusive)  so they jumped on the steam wagon a bit sooner to catch in an updraft of players.

So no, being on there is never bad, why they did it so soon would be where any 'bad' reason might of come from. 

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

P2P in Steam ?

Nice try ZM

l2p

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Considering the Elder Scrolls' long time association with Valve, the surprising thing is that it wasn't on Steam all along...

So when are the real ESO news bits from Quakecon coming... tonight... tomorrow?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Piscore

P2P in Steam ?

Nice try ZM

Stop trolling!

Steam has pay to play example: Darkfall Unholy Wars

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

Originally posted by Iselin

Considering the Elder Scrolls' long time association with Valve, the surprising thing is that it wasn't on Steam all along...

After the "ESO adding more players too soon?" Column image

You know throwing up random numbers about box sales (and possible digital sale speculation without any actual numbers to prove) and throwing a game as being the Jesus of video games doesn't change how it is. I mean its nice in a way you are so adamant and fanboy about a game, but take a little step back and take a deep breath. It makes you look silly trying to push a game like that. You are completely aloud to like a game, heck you can enjoy the worst game in the world (which btw, not saying ESO is that) its all fine and we all have our own tastes. Just calm down a little there so you dont go discrediting yourself so much. No need to do the propaganda for the company. XD

Originally posted by Purutzil

You know throwing up random numbers about box sales (and possible digital sale speculation without any actual numbers to prove) and throwing a game as being the Jesus of video games doesn't change how it is. I mean its nice in a way you are so adamant and fanboy about a game, but take a little step back and take a deep breath. It makes you look silly trying to push a game like that. You are completely aloud to like a game, heck you can enjoy the worst game in the world (which btw, not saying ESO is that) its all fine and we all have our own tastes. Just calm down a little there so you dont go discrediting yourself so much. No need to do the propaganda for the company. XD

Who are you? Why are you talking to me? Sorry if my one line comment was too exciting(?) for you. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Any modern game development company that DOESN'T sell their games on Steam are either not very good at marketing or they're trying to push their own in-house "games portal".

Being on Steam is a no-brainer. Really. I'm just surprised it took them this long...

• moravamorava Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Easy way to boost sale on Steam is to add TF2 hats :D
  • ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    I dont play eso but I do like having all my games on steam. I cant see this being a bad thing for the game
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Going to steam couldn't possible be a bad thing regardless of when it happened as it is a way to distribute games. So by your logic... if a game comes out on steam from the get go, what then? Would a company be jumping on the steam wagon too early then? 

You assume his numbers are "random" with no evidence to dispute for your argument either. I haven't seen in this thread where he has referred to the game as the "Jesus" of video games... so I suppose that it an altogether different attack on his previous comments not in this thread? I'm not sure.. but either way, I guess it's perfectly fine to come here and shit on games, which happens every .5 seconds... but the moment someone defends a game, they're labeled and cast aside. I know it's the hip and cool thing to do for you folks around here to just hate everything, but  it's refreshing to know that there are some who are not afraid to voice their support of a game or company. Just because you have a positive opinion, doesn't make it "propaganda". 

Lastly, in the word crime category, it's "allowed" not "aloud". One means with given authority and the other means to say something audibly. Just an FYI. I typically don't point out small things like spelling and minor grammar errors as it happens to us all. But I don't want any youngsters reading this to misinterpret that word creating a habit that will screw them for years down the line lol. No hate intended. 

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Any modern game development company that DOESN'T sell their games on Steam are either not very good at marketing or they're trying to push their own in-house "games portal".

Being on Steam is a no-brainer. Really. I'm just surprised it took them this long...

Agree. I have the same policy; NO STEAM. NO TY.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Originally posted by Havekk

Going to steam couldn't possible be a bad thing regardless of when it happened as it is a way to distribute games. So by your logic... if a game comes out on steam from the get go, what then? Would a company be jumping on the steam wagon too early then? 

You assume his numbers are "random" with no evidence to dispute for your argument either. I haven't seen in this thread where he has referred to the game as the "Jesus" of video games... so I suppose that it an altogether different attack on his previous comments not in this thread? I'm not sure.. but either way, I guess it's perfectly fine to come here and shit on games, which happens every .5 seconds... but the moment someone defends a game, they're labeled and cast aside. I know it's the hip and cool thing to do for you folks around here to just hate everything, but  it's refreshing to know that there are some who are not afraid to voice their support of a game or company. Just because you have a positive opinion, doesn't make it "propaganda". 

Lastly, in the word crime category, it's "allowed" not "aloud". One means with given authority and the other means to say something audibly. Just an FYI. I typically don't point out small things like spelling and minor grammar errors as it happens to us all. But I don't want any youngsters reading this to misinterpret that word creating a habit that will screw them for years down the line lol. No hate intended. 

in fact, not putting a PC game on Steam just seems a bit arrogant to me. Its almost like trying to release a game on Xbox but you have to install a sepearte download tool.

Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

in fact, not putting a PC game on Steam just seems a bit arrogant to me. Its almost like trying to release a game on Xbox but you have to install a sepearte download tool.

That makes no sense. In your example steam IS the separate download tool...with that said I use steam for some games but fail to see where it's arrogant for a company NOT to use steam.  

no...steam is THE portal for PC games.

having a different method to access the game other than thru Steam is an exception case. thus the example. pretty fucking clear.

• VaterexVaterex Member UncommonPosts: 379

F2P or B2P. These two marketing types would really help salvage this game.

{image
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Not surprised.

Game really needs influx of new players.

I know the game died in population from launch numbers, but it is still crowded in many of the cities at lower levels. I recently came back to the game after a little break, until they fixed some of the lag/hitch issues and I am loving it now that the fps doesn't tank during combat and certain zones.

I run into people all over the place.... so it doesn't feel like a wasteland at all to me. 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

ESO is still selling around 6k physical boxes per week and most likely 2-3 times more than that in digital downloads. Joining the #1 digital download distributor in the world will boost those numbers even more.

I don't know about the game sales.  So, I won't make an opinion on that.  But, I do agree with you that going on Steam is a great thing.  I don't understand why people think this is bad?  The only mmo (for the most part) that aren't on steam on blizzard mmos (and games).  Going on Steam will only help the game.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

That makes no sense. In your example steam IS the separate download tool...with that said I use steam for some games but fail to see where it's arrogant for a company NOT to use steam.  

no...steam is THE portal for PC games.

having a different method to access the game other than thru Steam is an exception case. thus the example. pretty fucking clear.

Ok using the "f word" by no means help your opinion or makes you look intelligent, it actually does the opposite along makes you look like you are 12 years old...who know maybe you are. Steam is not the ONLY portal for PC games, you have in most cases each games website, GameStop, ea games, Sony games, ect ect  has their own, some still buy the boxes so it's pretty arrogant to think steam in THE PC game portal.  

Not every PC player has steam and not every game is on steam, there are more people on psn than steam and recently only took over xb live.  So if a person downloads a game through the games website having to also download steam would be the separate download tool.  It's not the same as the xb or ps interfaces the issue was your poor analogy.  Sorry using teenage language won't help your opinion.  Now that's pretty clear!

Lol, what?  I use the "F" word as you put it all the time.  I'm definitely not a teenager.  This is a forum about VIDEO GAMES!  You're not getting your masters degree here.