Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new season is simply stunning!

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by bostonjon

I agree, this season is off to a great start in total contrast to season 1.  I like the story , the events and the new areas.  Also new weapon skin not in the gem shop.   well done.

also 200 gems to play what you missed  is not that much gold (maybe 25 G) so if you missed the first episode, it is worth doing.  Also if you don't want to pay gold or gems for the episode, you can do the story with some one who has it unlocked, you can see the episode just not unlock the achievements.

On my server currently 200 gems is about 15 gold.....

now i am wonderiing, is it 200 gems for each chapter you missed,  or 200 gems for all content you missed

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

This game is beautiful...  I played for about a month or so at release but the issue is there just isn't enough carrot on a stick for me to keep playing.  Sadly, I really don't care about armor skins, color, etc what I enjoy is raiding and dungeons and GW2 was majorly lacking in those areas. :-( 

Has it got any better?

Originally posted by gelraen

This is my problem also.  I loved the game, I leveled several characters, played some of the endgame for a year, and then.... yeah.  Character progression is still very important to me and GW2 just doesn't have it.  I don't know, I guess it's a subtle psychological difference, because your WoW style progression is just gear upgrades over time, but somehow that carrot is still important for long term motivation.

I'd love to see GW2 develop some long term character progression.  I understand the negatives for this and the power creep involved, but still it would be nice. 

^ this...  If GW had this I would play it for sure.  Give me some reason to log on day after day and I'm in.

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

I really really hate all these crystals for jumping and stuff like that, really wish they would just go away.

Agree. I don't do the new area because of this. Just HATE the jumping and crystals (never done any jumping puzzle either, but they - luckily - are optional)

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

I used to love GW2 until I got to that area where there were like 55 mobs in one square foot of terrain, rooting you, knocking you down, killing you mercilessly, no been able to reach the gate, I tried and tried and tried and just gave up, I got tired of the same  garbage, I hate the platform jumping dumb thing.

I love the scenery, the characters, the crafting, but I hate the constant nerfing on drops, you can only collect so many items from one type of mob until you hit some type of cooldown and that is it. The inmense amount of that particular nerfed item you need to craft armors and weapons.  Nah, the heck with it.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    It sounds promising. I just wish I could bring myself to even level to 30 without getting bored, let alone getting to the end-game and checking out the living story. I've tried so many times.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I agree.

Its actually on par with some singleplayer rpg stories. And the new zones are amazing.

Still, without actual character progression (new skills, levels) it all feels pointless to me.

This is my problem also.  I loved the game, I leveled several characters, played some of the endgame for a year, and then.... yeah.  Character progression is still very important to me and GW2 just doesn't have it.  I don't know, I guess it's a subtle psychological difference, because your WoW style progression is just gear upgrades over time, but somehow that carrot is still important for long term motivation.

I'd love to see GW2 develop some long term character progression.  I understand the negatives for this and the power creep involved, but still it would be nice. 

Agreed as well. Without solid roleplaying or raid progression, I can't find anything to keep me in the game. All of my favorite parts haven't been expanded on, so I moved on. 

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Destai

I agree.

Its actually on par with some singleplayer rpg stories. And the new zones are amazing.

Still, without actual character progression (new skills, levels) it all feels pointless to me.

Agreed as well. Without solid roleplaying or raid progression, I can't find anything to keep me in the game. All of my favorite parts haven't been expanded on, so I moved on. 

If you think about it, GW2 doesn't have a gear grind or long-term progression because of its payment model. Subscription based MMOs needs constant carrots-on-a-stick to keep you from clicking that unsubscribe button. If there was no end-game or no grind to get the best gear, some folks would drop their subs after the first month.

Since GW2 is a buy-to-play MMO, it can remain afloat by not having a gear treadmill or deep character progression. It does need to entice players to come back, which is why their focus is on two-week updates. The whales remain in game (I for am one big quaggan orca), the tourists log-in from time to time, whereas the locusts eat something new out there.

It need not cater to the subscription based model since GW2 remains competitive. I enjoy the game very much and continue to support it with a monthly "tip" of 10 bucks. I do wish that they add more hats for gems and have all the new armor attainable in-game instead of getting it with cash.

Originally posted by nastyjman

If you think about it, GW2 doesn't have a gear grind or long-term progression because of its payment model. Subscription based MMOs needs constant carrots-on-a-stick to keep you from clicking that unsubscribe button. If there was no end-game or no grind to get the best gear, some folks would drop their subs after the first month.

Since GW2 is a buy-to-play MMO, it can remain afloat by not having a gear treadmill or deep character progression. It does need to entice players to come back, which is why their focus is on two-week updates. The whales remain in game (I for am one big quaggan orca), the tourists log-in from time to time, whereas the locusts eat something new out there.

It need not cater to the subscription based model since GW2 remains competitive. I enjoy the game very much and continue to support it with a monthly "tip" of 10 bucks. I do wish that they add more hats for gems and have all the new armor attainable in-game instead of getting it with cash.

Out of curiosity, what keeps you logging in?  I am not saying that GW2 should implement a gear treadmill but it would be nice to be able to progress your character past level cap.  Another question is are there enough people still playing to make WvWvW any fun?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Good to see they are making a far better story. GW2 one of my biggest gripes was their attempt at a living story went from the rare gloious "That was kind of epic" to the far to common "this is just completely stupid and lame". Nice to see they are changing pace. A game that relies on active updates and pushes its living story, its important they really do a good job with it to be interesting. I have zero desire to try it again granted (average game with poor combat which to me combat is a big draw to keeping interest) but for those who do get enjoyment out of the game, its good to see they are improving their stuff. :)

Originally posted by Spankster77

Out of curiosity, what keeps you logging in?  I am not saying that GW2 should implement a gear treadmill but it would be nice to be able to progress your character past level cap.  Another question is are there enough people still playing to make WvWvW any fun?

WvW Season is off, so I haven't done any WvW lately. I've been leveling an alt post-April 15, and it's an interesting trek. The trait hunting adds some kind of progression that folks had complained about. For now, it's all about grinding for awesome skins. The scarf and the goggles are in my list to get. Guild activities is another reason to log-in. It's fun to do it with other people, more so when you're in their TS channel.

The game is really akin to any buy-to-play game. You milk what you can from the game. Since it's an MMO, you have other people around you who you can play with and gallivant around with.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I agree.

There's definitely a group of people that play 1000s of hours. While I bounce in and out of the game, I can't stay committed to it like I did the first one. And really, I'm not upset about the lack of progression. I've got WoW for that. I don't need another WoW. My problem is they don't add anymore of the things that made the game great in its infancy. We've only seen one new zone (until now) and it was shallow compared to the vanilla ones. We don't have minigames in the cities, so beyond auctioning and gold sellers, there's little to do in them. They dropped the story of the Orders for the B team. They really have a great foundation that's missing. I can't stay committed because once you've explored the world, gotten to 80, leveled your crafting, there's not much to do. Am I missing something? Should I look at it differently? I'm open to ideas.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Liking it so far. A whole lot more promising than season 1, even if season 1 had it's good moments. It's still early in the season, no reason to use big words just yet.

imageimage

I agree.

There's definitely a group of people that play 1000s of hours. While I bounce in and out of the game, I can't stay committed to it like I did the first one. And really, I'm not upset about the lack of progression. I've got WoW for that. I don't need another WoW. My problem is they don't add anymore of the things that made the game great in its infancy. We've only seen one new zone (until now) and it was shallow compared to the vanilla ones. We don't have minigames in the cities, so beyond auctioning and gold sellers, there's little to do in them. They dropped the story of the Orders for the B team. They really have a great foundation that's missing. I can't stay committed because once you've explored the world, gotten to 80, leveled your crafting, there's not much to do. Am I missing something? Should I look at it differently? I'm open to ideas.

That's exactly it. The game does not hold you down, and there's no ticking timer that charges you if it reaches zero. It's what you make of it.

As I said previously, it's a buy to play game, and it can be treated as any single-player buy to play games out there. I've spent $60 for South Park Stick of Truth. Spent 10 hours to finish the game. It was an amazing experience, especially if you're a South Park fan, but I can't push myself to replay it. If I do replay it, I would need a long enough break to make it fresh again.

For GW2, I've spent approximately $150, including box price, and have played maybe a thousand hours on it. The Living Story is what gets me to log on everyday. Things change, and it does get exciting. Just last week, there were unusual activities spreading in Kessex, Brisban, LA and Bloodtide. Vines are appearing next to waypoints. Folks were speculating what was going to happen. It was those little things that got the community thinking and theorizing. ANet and the community is keeping the game fresh.

Anyway, I'm looking at GW2 like any other B2P game I've bought. I rank it 3rd in my favorite videogames of all time (2nd being Fallout 3; 1st being Chrono Trigger). I can stop whenever I want without loss of game time, and I can start whenever without fishing out my credit card to resubscribe.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

For anyone on the fence about coming back, I have been playing again for 2 weeks now and there are a lot of solid changes to the game. PvE, PvP, Storyline, and Cosmetics have all improved.

Game was always fun, and I still say it's the best MMO available until we get a good Sandbox. I would recommend jumping back in if you haven't played in a while.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Hmm? Does that apply to season 1 (and older) content too then?

I thought you meant it was for season 2 (and moving forward).

Oh, and I thought you meant S2. Yes, there's currently no way to replay S1. One of the devs mentioned something about adding S1 content to the system later on, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Specifically, they said they'd love to make S1 replayable, but they are currently not working on making that possible. If you consider the way S1 worked and was rolled out, it doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon, and even if it did, it would probably be only the story instances, not the larger open world events.

On the positive side, that also means you're probably not going to have to fix road markers again :)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Specifically, they said they'd love to make S1 replayable, but they are currently not working on making that possible. If you consider the way S1 worked and was rolled out, it doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon, and even if it did, it would probably be only the story instances, not the larger open world events.

On the positive side, that also means you're probably not going to have to fix road markers again :)

I'd be more than fine with just the story parts.

My biggest beef with playing GW2's story at the moment is that it feels like I'd be starting to read a novel with a chapter ripped out here and there. Not exactly a fun prospect.

It'd be a lot easier if I was one of the players that only cares about end-game content and skips all the story parts...but alas, I'm not.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Naqaj

I'd be more than fine with just the story parts.

My biggest beef with playing GW2's story at the moment is that it feels like I'd be starting to read a novel with a chapter ripped out here and there. Not exactly a fun prospect.

It'd be a lot easier if I was one of the players that only cares about end-game content and skips all the story parts...but alas, I'm not.

I quit the game halfway trough season 1, not liking the living story content was one of the main reasons..

now i started playing season 2 and played the first chapter, and it absolutely feels like what i loved about the personal story parts of the main story.....   Yes its linear, but i never cared about that...  I am traveling the world again, meeting people listening to NPC conversations and enjoying the dynamic content and the new story based season 2 ...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I just can't get into it, having done both chapters now.

The story has improved immensely and the graphics are stunning. I like the new events, albeit I dislike the jumping, and it seems like a huge improvement over season 1. But still, I can't get into it.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't feel like an MMO to me, it feels like an interactive movie. When there's a new update, you play through it for an hour then put the game away till the next update.

There's no reason to login on a daily basis and there's no reason to group with anyone or form any kind of a meaningful relationship. It's a single player game with free bi-weekly DLC that just happens to be online.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Ludwik

The story has improved immensely and the graphics are stunning. I like the new events, albeit I dislike the jumping, and it seems like a huge improvement over season 1. But still, I can't get into it.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't feel like an MMO to me, it feels like an interactive movie. When there's a new update, you play through it for an hour then put the game away till the next update.

There's no reason to login on a daily basis and there's no reason to group with anyone or form any kind of a meaningful relationship. It's a single player game with free bi-weekly DLC that just happens to be online.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this pretty much sums up where GW2 is right now.  Ever since the Living Story was introduced, it's been taking precedence, and resources, over the other facets of the game, that is largely being ignored.  People who love story will be happy though.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

Tbh i need new dungeons, normal dungeons, not temporary then made into fractals :). I want sth new, as big as Arah to explore with my friends. Doing world map is cool, but not enough.

So far S2 is far better than S1, but not perfect ;)

Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by Ludwik

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this pretty much sums up where GW2 is right now.  Ever since the Living Story was introduced, it's been taking precedence, and resources, over the other facets of the game, that is largely being ignored.  People who love story will be happy though.

Thats because there is no character progression at max level, this goes for both PvE and PvP, WvW is nothing but mindless zerging and killing with flawed goals but no progression,  PvE has no character progression adn there is no gear progression...

to make it a true MMO that keeps people playing, they need to add mild gear progression, and some kind of AA system that rewards both PvE as WvW.  ...i have been saying this since before release...   

And offcourse more group content like real dungeons for single and multi groups...

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

stunning? Its just more of the same drek we've been eating for a year plus with recycled mechanics (like the stupid crystals) now needed to simply move around in the Dry Top zone.

This game has become nothing but a bore and the new "stunning" content is uninspired. All in my opinion. If this was a sub game I'd have already cancelled.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

For anyone on the fence about coming back, I have been playing again for 2 weeks now and there are a lot of solid changes to the game. PvE, PvP, Storyline, and Cosmetics have all improved.

Game was always fun, and I still say it's the best MMO available until we get a good Sandbox. I would recommend jumping back in if you haven't played in a while.

Game is same as its been. Some "oh look - new - shiny" moments wedged in with "oh look - same crap we been doing for a year+ in a new zone... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

If "oh shiny" is what you want - fine - come back. Its free. But your time is not. Think about all the other games out there which actually lead you somewhere and ask where your time is better spent. Season 2, like season 1, is temp content only now there is a cash grab attached. Miss part of the temp content? No worries - give anet real $ and you can play it... blatent cash grab versus actually making permanent content.

Yawn. I'm done with GW2 - such a let down where anet pretty much broke all their lofty promises from pre-release.