Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new season is simply stunning!

Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Seriously!

If you stopped playing after season 1 because Living Story S1 was underwhelming, I encourage you to check the new season. Season 1 was an experiment, and it seems ArenaNet learned a lot from it. The new zone and story, also episode 2 ending cinematic is just awesome! I just finished today's episode and I can't wait for more.

Comments

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172
    Agreed. The new Amber weapon skins are awesome as well. The whole Dry Top / Maguuma wastes area is gorgeous, and the little rainy jungle zone in the middle of desert canyons is a great touch.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I have to agree. After briefly playing Season 1 I was ready to skip Season 2.  So glad I changed my mind. I do feel they corrected some of the missteps with Season 1.  Loving it!
  • BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I love the story very much in season 2 and it's almost like following a TV-Series, the world is soooooo amazing however I really really hate all these crystals for jumping and stuff like that, really wish they would just go away.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

I really really hate all these crystals for jumping and stuff like that, really wish they would just go away.

Second that, I loath them so much, It's not hard just annoying.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• StammererStammerer Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

I really really hate all these crystals for jumping and stuff like that, really wish they would just go away.

Second that, I loath them so much, It's not hard just annoying.

Indeed, I have always hated patformers and don't much care for them in my mmo's.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I agree.

Its actually on par with some singleplayer rpg stories. And the new zones are amazing.

Still, without actual character progression (new skills, levels) it all feels pointless to me.

• reds9reds9 Member Posts: 1
    Episode 2 is indeed awesome. Can't wait for the next update to find out what happens next!
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I agree.

Its actually on par with some singleplayer rpg stories. And the new zones are amazing.

Still, without actual character progression (new skills, levels) it all feels pointless to me.

This is my problem also.  I loved the game, I leveled several characters, played some of the endgame for a year, and then.... yeah.  Character progression is still very important to me and GW2 just doesn't have it.  I don't know, I guess it's a subtle psychological difference, because your WoW style progression is just gear upgrades over time, but somehow that carrot is still important for long term motivation.

I'd love to see GW2 develop some long term character progression.  I understand the negatives for this and the power creep involved, but still it would be nice. 

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308

I agree.

All mmo's are pointless at the end of the day;)

A lot of players out there like the none carrot gameplay

• pein_carbonpein_carbon Member Posts: 7

no thank you I don't feel like starting to play a game running 100 zone blob 24/7 just to make it worse they cant wipe a co ordinated team of 28......

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Gonna check it after destiny beta, ffxiv free weekend and archeage cb :P

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by gelraen

I agree.

This is my problem also.  I loved the game, I leveled several characters, played some of the endgame for a year, and then.... yeah.  Character progression is still very important to me and GW2 just doesn't have it.  I don't know, I guess it's a subtle psychological difference, because your WoW style progression is just gear upgrades over time, but somehow that carrot is still important for long term motivation.

I'd love to see GW2 develop some long term character progression.  I understand the negatives for this and the power creep involved, but still it would be nice. 

I think we desperately need a middle ground between WoW's vertical progression gear treadmill and GW2's apparent lack of progression whatsoever. I was definitely disgruntled when ANet added Ascended gear because it reeked like WoW's gear grind that ANet promised multiple times in GW2's development that they would be avoiding. I think they need to get creative and come up with a new way to progress our characters without turning it into yet another gear grind. If ANet wants to brand GW2 as the alternative MMO, they need to come up with a new way to progress our characters that hasn't been done before instead of just pumping out more grindy events for cosmetic skins.

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Tyr216

I agree.

I think we desperately need a middle ground between WoW's vertical progression gear treadmill and GW2's apparent lack of progression whatsoever. I was definitely disgruntled when ANet added Ascended gear because it reeked like WoW's gear grind that ANet promised multiple times in GW2's development that they would be avoiding. I think they need to get creative and come up with a new way to progress our characters without turning it into yet another gear grind. If ANet wants to brand GW2 as the alternative MMO, they need to come up with a new way to progress our characters that hasn't been done before instead of just pumping out more grindy events for cosmetic skins.

Farmed ascended weapons and armors in a week once I had all the time gated stuff. I don't think you can compare ascended gear to WoW's treadmill. Their numbers by now are just sick. And trinkets can be obtained by having a guild and doing dailies and from WvW 

• GaleOmGaleOm Member UncommonPosts: 28
    To me S02E02 felt more like movie then episode of tv-series. I hope ANet will continue like this :D
  • BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by GaleOm
    To me S02E02 felt more like movie then episode of tv-series. I hope ANet will continue like this :D

I actually said the same thing to my girlfriend xD The only downside is that you don't get an episode every week. It's every other week xD. But the amount of polish this season is amazing. From soundtracks to terrain its all superb.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The difference between S1 and S2 is suprisingly big. S2 has been a blast. Dry Top is probably the most beautiful and detailed zone of GW2 and that's saying something. It also looks like ANet finally managed to make open world bosses challenging without making them too difficult for the random posse of PCs.

I just hope it doesn't drop off a cliff midseason and they don't kill the zone off like they did with Southsun. Southsun was really lively and full of content during its LS arc, but now it's a desolate wasteland with only one event of note.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

I agree.

I really wish a game would tackle end game like EQ1 did.......with an enormous AA system. I like a little gear grind to keep the feeling of progression, but I absolutely love EQ1s AA system. There are so many different things to spec into, and it keeps players playing to get that little added upgrade.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

I agree.

I really wish a game would tackle end game like EQ1 did.......with an enormous AA system. I like a little gear grind to keep the feeling of progression, but I absolutely love EQ1s AA system. There are so many different things to spec into, and it keeps players playing to get that little added upgrade.

Precisely, this game needs an AA SYSTEM, and a good one...  Something  that works like the eternal carrot, something that you never each the end with....    With GW1 in my mind, i think it would be awesome if they based it on crossclassing skills and  abbilities...

and while after two years, i still very much believe  this is the best game released since WoW...  It still lacks some essentials...  In top down order, here is what made me quit playing....

- progression at max level, preferably not a gear only treadmill...  

- trinnity, the current group play sessions in pve allways make me feel that with the removal of the trinnity, they removed a tactical and a strategical layer from the game, withouth adding any real mechanics to replace them...

- epic Quests, i love epic quests, and after finishing the personal story, there was nothing there to keep me continueing my chracters, its where the living story failed for me ( i hope season 2 fixes this)

- a reason for WvWvW...   For me it was just mindless keepzerging.. And noob killing

- big boss battles are way to static...

and i am pretty much sure, most PvE players agree with me on this...  

Luckily, tjis is where the payment model shines, and where you can alleays return to the game, and so i found myself pulling my  80 elementaliist trough lower level zones to get the hang of the combat system again.....  Quickly realising again how much there is to like about this game.... Most beatifull mmo world ever, best character annimations, best solo pve and instanced pvp combat. I love the world design with the dynamic content.  

Now add some AA system,  make dungeon play more fun, add more and better stories,  And ime and my friends will be back to stay.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I haven't followed GW2 in ages.

So what's the deal with these seasons? Are they content that's only available for a while and then gone for good? Or are they like another game's "Updates/Issues/Whatevers" and permanent additions to the game?

I always thought that many of GW2's updates fell into the former category - hence my low desire to play it. Since I'm somewhat of a completionist this has largely killed my desire to pick uo the game again, since it would mean constantly playing it or always losing out on parts of the story. (I had the same problem with Defiance back when they were still doing the special crossover arcs that stayed for a week or two and then permanent vanished - in the interest of making the game world feel "alive". They seem to have gotten rid of that now though, and simply added the storylines permanently to the game)

Hopefully it's just a huge misperception on my part.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

So what's the deal with these seasons? Are they content that's only available for a while and then gone for good? Or are they like another game's "Updates/Issues/Whatevers" and permanent additions to the game?

S1 was temporary content. People didn't like it, so S2 is permanent and its instanced missions are repeatable. It opens up a new zone, some items, etc. You get it for free by logging in once during the two weeks period each episode takes, but now that you missed the first episode, it'd cost you 200 gems to unlock. Not that unlocking the first episode is strictly necessary, as you can probably find a recap of it somewhere.

I found most of S1 very disappointing for the same reasons as you, but S2 is a vastly superior so far.

Originally posted by Scalpless

S1 was temporary content. People didn't like it, so S2 is permanent and its instanced missions are repeatable. It opens up a new zone, some items, etc. You get it for free by logging in once during the two weeks period each episode takes, but now that you missed the first episode, it'd cost you 200 gems to unlock. Not that unlocking the first episode is strictly necessary, as you can probably find a recap of it somewhere.

I found most of S1 very disappointing for the same reasons as you, but S2 is a vastly superior so far.

Thanks, I feared as much.

I'm not a big fan of having to Youtube content though. Hopefully they'll eventually add a way to replay that old stuff. (even if it costs gems)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

I'm not a big fan of having to Youtube content though. Hopefully they'll eventually add a way to replay that old stuff. (even if it costs gems)

See the yellow part.

See the yellow part.

Hmm? Does that apply to season 1 (and older) content too then?

I thought you meant it was for season 2 (and moving forward).

• bostonjonbostonjon Member Posts: 19

I agree, this season is off to a great start in total contrast to season 1.  I like the story , the events and the new areas.  Also new weapon skin not in the gem shop.   well done.

also 200 gems to play what you missed  is not that much gold (maybe 25 G) so if you missed the first episode, it is worth doing.  Also if you don't want to pay gold or gems for the episode, you can do the story with some one who has it unlocked, you can see the episode just not unlock the achievements.